That Dorset is a lovely two door car
Very nice and inspiring
Cannot place the registration number, though
Old 29th March 2011, 12:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Austin A40 Family Legacy - Back To Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angad22 View Post
Found this thread interesting and I am posting pictures of my Austin A40 Dorset.
Why do you paint such nice cars in metallic? It just does not suit the car, IMHO.

Cheers harit
Old 29th March 2011, 21:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angad22 View Post
Found this thread interesting and I am posting pictures of my Austin A40 Dorset.

Hey thats such a beautiful Dorset you have.. Congratulations. Where is this car registered?
Old 29th March 2011, 23:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hey thats such a beautiful Dorset you have.. Congratulations. Where is this car registered?
The reg. is for Chandigarh. The Dorset was restored 2 years ago. Parts currently missing are plastic dash knobs and the original boot handle.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.
Old 29th March 2011, 23:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudesam24 View Post
Well guys
Thanks a ton for such overwhelming response and lots of advice.
Work keeps me very busy. Sorry for delay in replies.
After i met Ravi (super Select) and went through his thread on the brilliant restoration work of his Fiat, I thought it to be a good idea to put my Austin here.
Its a family car- has had a lot of inattention over last 30 years after it was parked (in a leaky tin-shed) due to my grand dad being fed up of some nagging distributor problem way back in 1981. In fact it was just out from the garage then with fresh paint job etc and with all the stupid monkeying with body ornaments as has been rightly pointed out by fellow BHPians. It never mattered that time, I believe. The Landmaster (sadly converted into Ambassador Mk III in 1984) was, and still is, a steady performer and involuntarily the Austin lay in the shed, slipping into deterioration. But what i can really thank God for is that it was not scrapped.
The car has been in the family for well over 60years and registration is not an issue. lifetime tax is paid and roadworthy fitness certificate will be obtained after the repairs.

The body work and dismantling started in Oct 2010. Well the tin work is massive but my tinsmith has done good work so far by hand-crafting each and every bit of the nooks and corners of the abused body. It will take another month or so to finish the tin work. I will post photos when i visit Cuttack next month.

As rightly pointed out by mbz180, Mullick Bazar is Mecca for parts hunters and my trip there is overdue. A friend at Kolkata is arranging for original bumpers, guards, hub-caps, monograms etc for me to pick up.

so much for now
will keep updated
Doc, even Maulana in Chor Bazar can be contacted ,he is a very poular figure in chor bazar , avoid kurla CST road as there wil be not much to get from
Old 30th March 2011, 00:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Doc, even Maulana in Chor Bazar can be contacted ,he is a very poular figure in chor bazar , avoid kurla CST road as there wil be not much to get from
Hey, Maulana sold off all his stock and shut shop more than 6 months ago, maybe even longer!!
Old 14th February 2014, 22:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updates on this car?
Old 15th February 2014, 17:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

My advise also would be first take lots of snaps in left right front back and sequence order to keep track of what goes where. Inside interior snaps also important.

Get your self a set of parts and service / work shop manuals . Become a member of an international club like in the uk and Australia ( http://www.austina40club.com.au/) .

Check some cars out at the mumbai events or wherever travel takes you - where & when you can and take lots of snaps once again and check with anyone with an old car and they might have parts. Like Anjan Sir has pointed out that bumpers are in correct and has guided you through well.

Tin work looks like the main thing todo and needs attention but opening needs you to take the snaps first.

Then mechanicals and rest in order will follow through.

Wish you all the best and hope to see it on the road soon.

Cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 20:12   #24

You might want to join the Friends of the Austin Counties Car email list, which is a Yahoo group. There are lots of Devon owners on the list and these folks are always more than happy to help.

Bill Wilkman
wilkmanracing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 15:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudesam24 View Post
Hi BHPians
This is my first thread on Team-BHP.
I am a general and laparoscopic surgeon based at Mumbai. i had this soft corner for old beauties like this, Austin A40. I have a Ford Prefect at Mumbai.
This thread is based on my effort to restore a legacy back to its glory and beauty.
I do not have much experience in such kind of restorations and hope that fellow BHPians will help me restore this Austin A40 to its best.
The car has significant deterioration and ornaments have been lost or replaced with non-standard ones.
The work on the car has begun at my native place in Cuttack, Orissa.
I will keep posting on the progress of the work as and when i visit my native place.
This is my first thread on Team -BHP at Kanpur. I recently acquired Austin A40 Devon GS2 model. Its nice original car in good running condition.

In my car horn push button switch is missing and another problem is leaking water pump. I will be grateful if some one can help me in resolving these two issues. I tried on ebay but could not get these parts
ramendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 15:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramendra View Post
This is my first thread on Team -BHP at Kanpur. I recently acquired Austin A40 Devon GS2 model. Its nice original car in good running condition.

In my car horn push button switch is missing and another problem is leaking water pump. I will be grateful if some one can help me in resolving these two issues. I tried on ebay but could not get these parts
Please try the Austin car club of UK/Australia/New Zealand> they respond to requests on their websites
Old 15th December 2015, 18:50   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updates on your family A40, doc?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 14:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Any updates on your family A40, doc?
fixed waterpump of Landmaster after alterations and also got my old pump repaired locally. However horn switch is still pending. However, the car is operational and is in use
Old 17th December 2015, 22:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramendra View Post
fixed waterpump of Landmaster after alterations and also got my old pump repaired locally. However horn switch is still pending. However, the car is operational and is in use
Pardon my confusion but is this related to the car (A40) I was asking about above?
Old 18th December 2015, 12:21   #30

I mean landmaster pump has been fitted to my Austin A40 after modification.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks