Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 01:23   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oranges or Apples : SUV or D-Segment?

i am also considering a sedan in this range and i visited VW showroom hoping that Passat will win me over. Didn't happen.

1. The fully loaded Highline (HL) comes only in black interiors. Poor choice by VW for Indian market. Sitting at the back in HL's black cabin car was enough to knock off HL from my list.
2. An overdose of chrome in the front, but tolerable
3. Laaarge brushed-aluminiumish-plastic (or is it really metal?) in the center console. IMO, you will very quickly start disliking it.
4. Comfortline has mechanical rake and hight adjustment. Only backrest and lumbar are electric. CL comes with steel spare wheel.
5. Touchscreen resolution is so-so
6. Smallish steering wheel

I like the passat exterior design a lot (except for the bling-chrome in the front) but the interiors let me down. HL is off the list unless they launch non-black interiors soon.

Passat it still under consideration, but its not like I can't wait to give the booking amount. For 2007 Laura L&K and recent F10 5-series I gave the booking amount just after the one dekho without any reservations/compromises. They were perfect for me inside out.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

Androdev: Looks like you and I are in the same boat. So to speak.
I for one, prefer the black interiors, specially after the beige Laura. But then, havent really taken a TD, to see how the afternoon sun affects you with the black interiors.

Arent you considering the Superb? I mean after your Laura, that or the Passat seems like a logical upgrade.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to see how the afternoon sun affects you with the black interiors.
Black is not bad. My Jetta is black without the air conditioned seats . Yet it doesnt feel so hot on a chennai afternoon sun.

Please test drive both Superb and Passat. You will know what you like at the end. If possible test drive them on the same day.

Me and my wife test drove Jetta and Laura the same day though we tested laura seperately on another day. We just didnt like the Laura. Wife insisted she wanted the Jetta.

Again Laura would have brought the wrath of my neighbours, Jetta just feels like an unknown car and helps me escape from the "neighbours" envy. Even the Vento gets big time NE while i escape. The new age Passat will definitely look better than the old ones.

Skoda has better shaped cars with superb curves compared to VW.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 12:16   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Black is not bad. My Jetta is black without the air conditioned seats . Yet it doesnt feel so hot on a chennai afternoon sun.
Man, if the Black interiors are bearable in Chennai weather, in Pune, it should be way more tolerable .

You are right on TDing them the same day. That would give a better perspective of both the cars. Shall do that this Saturday itself.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:46   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
i am also considering a sedan in this range and i visited VW showroom hoping that Passat will win me over. Didn't happen.

1. The fully loaded Highline (HL) comes only in black interiors. Poor choice by VW for Indian market. Sitting at the back in HL's black cabin car was enough to knock off HL from my list.
2. An overdose of chrome in the front, but tolerable
3. Laaarge brushed-aluminiumish-plastic (or is it really metal?) in the center console. IMO, you will very quickly start disliking it.
4. Comfortline has mechanical rake and hight adjustment. Only backrest and lumbar are electric. CL comes with steel spare wheel.
5. Touchscreen resolution is so-so
6. Smallish steering wheel

I like the passat exterior design a lot (except for the bling-chrome in the front) but the interiors let me down. HL is off the list unless they launch non-black interiors soon.

Passat it still under consideration, but its not like I can't wait to give the booking amount. For 2007 Laura L&K and recent F10 5-series I gave the booking amount just after the one dekho without any reservations/compromises. They were perfect for me inside out.
It’s quite appalling that VW is not providing options to choose the interior trim of the Passat. In a car at this price range (Highline), this should be a definite option.

Anyway, I will suggest waiting until mid-august for the launch of New Jetta. It will not be an upgrade from your Laura, but can be termed as an ideal replacement
Old 28th July 2011, 13:55   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It’s quite appalling that VW is not providing options to choose the interior trim of the Passat
Actually they used to provide this option. There were quite a few problem while assembling where customers were getting Black interiors where they ordered Beige and vice versa.

Imagine my Cup of tea would have been Black car and Black Interior or White with black interior. I had to settle down with Heaven blue just because my favorite colors didnt have black interior and i wasnt going to waste money on another coat of black seat covers.

They have stopped this customization only in India is what i feel. In US and Europe one can still choose the interious color option. I could be wrong
Old 28th July 2011, 14:05   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Again Laura would have brought the wrath of my neighbours, Jetta just feels like an unknown car and helps me escape from the "neighbours" envy.
You mean to say the skoda makes the neighbours more envious than the VW?!! I thought Skoda was the poor step brother in the VW group.

VW may not take kindly to this statement of yours . It seems like they almost consider it an insult to sell any car in the same segment at lesser prices than Skoda .
Old 28th July 2011, 14:27   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Androdev: Looks like you and I are in the same boat. So to speak.
I for one, prefer the black interiors, specially after the beige Laura. But then, havent really taken a TD, to see how the afternoon sun affects you with the black interiors.

Arent you considering the Superb? I mean after your Laura, that or the Passat seems like a logical upgrade.
Yes, considering Superb, too. I prefer the looks of Passat to Superb. I have time till end of September to book a car. So let us see how things progress. Somehow it feels 'rich' inside Superb compared to Passat. I am OK with black interiors as a driver, but black for rear passengers is pretty gloomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
You mean to say the skoda makes the neighbours more envious than the VW?!! I thought Skoda was the poor step brother in the VW group.

VW may not take kindly to this statement of yours . It seems like they almost consider it an insult to sell any car in the same segment at lesser prices than Skoda .
I agree that Laura is louder/more-noticeable in the looks department compared to Jetta. VW cars better put together, though.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:31   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say the skoda makes the neighbours more envious than the VW?!!
Absolutely. Let me be brutally honest, the 2010 jetta or passat from a distance does look like a Tata Indica .

The Looks of Laura is very addictive. Again its a matter of choice. I prefer the very mild and simple looking 2010 Jetta over the much more aggressive looking 2011 Jetta. Its a personal choice. But fact is that the 2010 Jetta is never a Eye turner anyday.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:57   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. Let me be brutally honest, the 2010 jetta or passat from a distance does look like a Tata Indica .

The Looks of Laura is very addictive. Again its a matter of choice. I prefer the very mild and simple looking 2010 Jetta over the much more aggressive looking 2011 Jetta. Its a personal choice. But fact is that the 2010 Jetta is never a Eye turner anyday.
about the flashy looks of Laura over the plain and more subtle looking Jetta. Worldwide Skoda maybe the lesser know brand (Quite a few of my cousins who have been in the US for long ask me "Skoda??? where is that from"?) But here in India, Skoda is a brand associated with higher end luxury cars. The legacy of the Octavia which sold in high volumes at a time when the Indian car scene had very few players in the so called 'luxury' segment.
Old 1st August 2011, 16:52   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right on TDing them the same day. That would give a better perspective of both the cars. Shall do that this Saturday itself.
@Swanand - What is the update on the TD? Decision made? Looks like we are more keen about the decision then the actual buyer.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 16:59   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Swanand - What is the update on the TD? Decision made? Looks like we are more keen about the decision then the actual buyer.

Lol Amit, you can say that again!
Unfortunately this weekend saw no activity on the TD front. Saturday, was caught up with work, and Sunday was busy nursing folks at home. This weather is bad man! Everyone is under the weather.

But, shall try and TD them midweek if possible.

EDIT: You can ignore the thanks. Intended to quote you .

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 1st August 2011 at 17:00.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 17:06   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope by TD 'them' you intended to mention the cars!
Funnies apart, 'Get well soon' to your folks
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 19:11   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately this weekend saw no activity on the TD front. Saturday, was caught up with work, and Sunday was busy nursing folks at home. This weather is bad man! Everyone is under the weather.
Oops, sorry to hear that. July has to be the worst time healthwise in Pune

Quote:
I shall be happy to join you .
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 03:19   #105
BHPian

Hi Swanand.

To stir things up a bit, I've got a reply for you at this post
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks