Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 12:50   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford EcoSport AT vs Honda Jazz CVT. EDIT: EcoSport booked!

I agree with Autorahul and GTO on this one:

The WR-V might be a better product than the Jazz insofar as it combines some of the advantages the Ecosport brings. However, be warned that the 1.2 CVT on the Jazz will feel pretty uninspiring to drive. The same engine in the bigger WR-V may accentuate that feeling even more.

The Ecosport will certainly feel a little more solid and bigger engined. So do consider those aspects I guess.

The problem with this segment really is that it lacks a completely fun to drive yet reliable AT offerings. I really hope some day the Baleno comes up with a sporty AT offering.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 15:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's for your Dad, no +1. This is an excellent recommendation. I'd buy the Elite i20 AT over the Jazz any day, anytime.
i20 1.4 AT in my perception is a missed opportunity by Hyundai! It's overpriced and almost bare bones even as far as safety features are concerned. Comparatively, Grand i10 AT makes a good case for itself being easy to drive with high seating. At least comes with alloy wheels and some interior goodies even though the safety features are missing here to.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 15:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I agree with Autorahul and GTO on this one:

The WR-V might be a better product than the Jazz insofar as it combines some of the advantages the Ecosport brings. However, be warned that the 1.2 CVT on the Jazz will feel pretty uninspiring to drive. The same engine in the bigger WR-V may accentuate that feeling even more.

There's no CVT in the WR-V as of now.

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2017 at 11:17. Reason: Formatting etc.
kippu is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th February 2017, 17:44   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait for WR-V AT. I am sure they will offer AT - they have a solid AT customer base to cater to.

Honda cars are very popular with elderly folks and women because of their manoeuvrability, trouble free ownership and light-everything (doors, steering, etc.)

Ecosport is also a good choice but a tad more demanding physically.

I make a living selling Polo TSI but I hear you want to keep it simple
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 20:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

So apparently the OTR price for the 2017 made Ecosport AT comes to 11.15L on road Delhi. They are offering a 15k discount on that brining the effective OTR price to 11L. I am also being offered a Dec 2016 made Ecosport AT which will cost me around 10.5L OTR after discounts. Now although the cash discount is not huge and in normal situations I would rather spend 50k more and go for the current year model, the 2017 Ecosport misses out on 2 important features that Ford has silently withdrawn from the AT variants, namely:
1. Front central armrest.
2. Lumbar support for the driver.

Both the things can ofcourse be not retrofitted. Hence I am thinking of opting for the 2016 variant then, that is if I decide on the Ecosport. We wanted black colour but that is possible only with the 2017 variants and will be made to order. The old stock is only available in white and silver color. I fail to understand why would they remove something as basic as central arm rest in an Automatic car. After all the point of the AT transmission is that your left leg and hand stay free.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 15:48   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So apparently the OTR price for the 2017 made Ecosport AT comes to 11.15L on road Delhi. They are offering a 15k discount on that brining the effective OTR price to 11L. I am also being offered a Dec 2016 made Ecosport AT which will cost me around 10.5L OTR after discounts. Now although the cash discount is not huge and in normal situations I would rather spend 50k more and go for the current year model, the 2017 Ecosport misses out on 2 important features that Ford has silently withdrawn from the AT variants, namely:
1. Front central armrest.
2. Lumbar support for the driver.

Both the things can ofcourse be not retrofitted. Hence I am thinking of opting for the 2016 variant then, that is if I decide on the Ecosport. We wanted black colour but that is possible only with the 2017 variants and will be made to order. The old stock is only available in white and silver color. I fail to understand why would they remove something as basic as central arm rest in an Automatic car. After all the point of the AT transmission is that your left leg and hand stay free.
I whole heartedly agree with you on this. The 2 features removed are very important comfort features IMHO, especially the Lumbar support which is a godsent in longer drives (even in hour long city drives) and the arm rest is even more important in an AT than a manual.

I have a Titanium(O) ecoboost and in a recent trip I introduced my father to the Lumbar support. Needless to say he found that to be the best feature

And you're getting a better deal anyway on the 2016 model. BTW, black is a pain to maintain I'm sure you know that. So be happy about the easier colors.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 20:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys thanks for all your valuable inputs. They really made a huge difference. I have finally booked the Ecosport AT. The higher seating was the major criterion in favour of the same. Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Dr. Mohit Gupta
drmohitg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 21:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I have finally booked the Ecosport AT. The higher seating was the major criterion in favour of the same.
Congrats for booking a Ecosport AT. Ecosport is on my shortlist for replacing my Liva. Please do a PDI before registration.
Old 28th February 2017, 11:12   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

My car buying threads have usually always been full of drama and suspense with the result that the car that is finalised in the end ends up being a totally different car/segment. This time I made the decision swiftly. But Ford decided to spoil the party. The car we booked was a December, 2016 variant as Ford as intelligently made the 2017 variants redundant. You may wonder why. The reason is that they have decided to remove two crucial features:

1. Driver's armrest.
2. Driver's lumbar support.

I am at a loss of word as to the wisdom behind this decision. They could have done this in the other variants as a cost cutting measure but not for the AT variant. The sole reason for buying an AT variant is to free up your left arm and leg. For the leg we use the dead pedal. For the arm we use the central armrest. At the least they should have offered it as an accessory. But they don't.

To cut the story short, the dealer informed me the next day that the car allotted to me has already been allotted to another customer now as they got little late to make the booking in their system. They offered me a silver color instead, I had booked white. Do note however that at the time of booking I was told that they are left with only 1 last piece from the 2016 stock and that is in white colour. Now suddenly this silver colour appears from thin air. All in all, I lost my confidence in them as I really hate when people try to lie to you without any need. Hence the booking has been cancelled as of now. We will revisit the decision later ( read as wait for the WR-V and any other upcoming car).
Old 28th February 2017, 14:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The reason is that they have decided to remove two crucial features:

1. Driver's armrest.
2. Driver's lumbar support.

Is it just me or Ford has a habit of shooting itself in the foot time and again.

Some analyst at Ford must be thinking how to bring down cost. ''Removed arm rest - wow cost down in spreadsheet. I will get a gold star from bosses''. Without realizing the importance of same in AT.

Unfortunately if you have chosen Ecosport AT then that means specific requirements and these cant be matched in this budget by other vehicles. Unless SUV choice gets converted to Sedan etc.

Send a letter to Ford India head asking in AT when right hand is free what is one supposed to do with it if not keep on armrest?
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 14:34   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Is it just me or Ford has a habit of shooting itself in the foot time and again.

Some analyst at Ford must be thinking how to bring down cost. ''Removed arm rest - wow cost down in spreadsheet. I will get a gold star from bosses''. Without realizing the importance of same in AT.

Unfortunately if you have chosen Ecosport AT then that means specific requirements and these cant be matched in this budget by other vehicles. Unless SUV choice gets converted to Sedan etc.

Send a letter to Ford India head asking in AT when right hand is free what is one supposed to do with it if not keep on armrest?
I totally agree with you on both the counts.

1. There is no other real option to the Ecosport in the market i.e. for the AT segment with the need for higher seating. Unless of-course if you increase your budget and go for the Creta and although even that doesn't come with 6 airbags for the AT variant, or does it? Compared to the competition Ecosport is a very capable car at its price point and very well loaded too.

2. They do not apply their mind at all when deciding on features. Why on earth would you not provide an armrest in an AT car. Also the new 2017 additions of bigger ICE screen, rear view camera, navigation, new alloys, coloured roof etc are not available for the AT variant but only the MT variants. But that I can live with. The arm rest ( more so) and lumbar support are deal breakers though.

3. I spoke to Ford via their live chat option and that didn't bear any result. Will mail them also.

But all said and done, We won't buy the Ecosport without the armrest.
Old 28th February 2017, 14:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is what I found on eBay.

Ford EcoSport AT vs Honda Jazz CVT. EDIT: EcoSport booked!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488273986.761754.jpg

Now you need to check if this can be fitted on the 2017 model.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 23:08   #43
BANNED

You can check with other ford dealers in the city or the nearby places. Maybe they have the car in a colour of your choice.
Old 28th February 2017, 23:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
We will revisit the decision later ( read as wait for the WR-V and any other upcoming car).
Unfortunately for you, there is no CVT in WR-V. And with Ecosport 2016 AT having very limited availability, I am afraid your choices might be to retrofit an armrest on Ecosport or the Jazz.

There might me other dealers in Delhi NCR who might have the variant you are looking for.

Edit:
Since you currently own a Sunny, you must be aware of Nissan ownership. Depending on that, you can also consider a Micra XV CVT. You should be able to get a pretty great deal. Brio is another car, that keeps coming to ind seeing your requirements.

Last edited by autorahul : 28th February 2017 at 23:47. Reason: Suggestions added
Old 1st March 2017, 00:59   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But all said and done, We won't buy the Ecosport without the armrest.
Doc, don't let the car go only for this. It's an easy aftermarket fit.
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks