Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 11:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 20 - 30 lakh car for running of 8000 km / month. Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivern View Post
Hi All,
My requirements:

I practically live in my car, and drive around 7000 - 8000 kms per month. I prefer a 5 seater, diesel car in the ballpark of 20 - 30 lakhs budget. Since, I travel a lot, I guess, I need a car with good comfort, features and decent consumption. A car that doesn't break easily and is reliable. I usually get my Creta serviced within a day, so a similar car would be better. I'm planning to keep this car for another 3-4 years maximum.

Hey vivern,

Welcome (formally) to T-BHP!!

As many have recommended - A Crysta AT is one of the best options for you given your need for comfort and reliability. But since you don't want such a large vehicle - you are left with fewer options.

Dear God, the issues we face in choosing the right car at any budget

Like many have recommended - Tucson will be a good option. A proper 5 seater with all the comfort and features, and a reliable engine.

Your needs seem to be immediate and hence the above recommendation. But if you could wait for the launch and a TBHP review, Tata Harrier can be considered. This is a wild card and you may have to check how the service is in your location. But that should not be an issue according to me. You may actually get very priority service for being an early Harrier buyer
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 11:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Image from my friends 2012 Camry Hybrid
Attached Thumbnails
Want to buy a 20 - 30 lakh car for running of 8000 km / month. Which one?-img20190121wa0015.jpg  

desideep is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 11:54   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Summing up, the practical option I have at my hands is Tucson. Seems like most member have given a thumbs up for Tucson here. Is there anyone, who could give a ownership review or firsthand experience on the Tucson, please?
My friend got himself a AWD GLS in July '18 and it has done few long drives. Purnia - Lucknow. Purnia - Varanasi - Lucknow - Delhi - Purnia, Purnia - Guwahati and lots of drives to Purnia - Siliguri (~400 kms). No issues, no rattles or squeaks. Has seen its fair share of hills in Sikkim, Nepal.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 19:49   #34

Hi Everyone,

I did ask about the Tucson, seems they haven't yet started production on the 2019 model, and it appears I'd have to wait for a month to take delivery. So is the case with Tiguan as well.

How is Kodiaq? Does anyone have a first hand experience with skoda in terms of Kodiaq, after sales and maintenance?
Old 26th January 2019, 02:48   #35
BANNED

Quote:
How is Kodiaq? Does anyone have a first hand experience with skoda in terms of Kodiaq, after sales and maintenance?
I have driven the Kodiaq over distances of 500+km in a day and it is super comfortable and composed.
Also, the 4 year warranty and the AMC make it a good deal if you don't want the Hexa, better than the other Germans and the BoF SUVs around.
Old 26th January 2019, 13:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi vivern,

In comparison to the rear seats of my Creta, which often put me to sleep on intercity drives, I found the rear seats of the Kodiaq to have a stiffer ride. I could feel the undulation of the road in my stomach. (No offense to Kodiaq owners).

I have never experienced Skoda's ASS. But, according to a lot of owners, their downtime is generally quite high since they have to import parts many times.

Also, it starts at 35-36 lakhs which means you will have to stretch your budget.

Just to reiterate some of the other members' questions - why not go in for the new Creta? Hyundai's parts are easily available everywhere and most mechanics know the car inside out so downtime won't be a problem either.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 26th January 2019 at 13:47.
sidpunjabi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 14:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

So, if your first choice is not available, would advise you to wait out the next 6 months. No point in buying a car that is not your first choice,considering that you are going to keep it for the next 4-5 years.

Fly, take a train, Zoom car, borrow a friend's additional car, etc for the period.

You will see the New Tucson, the Compass Trailhawk and the Kia SP arrive by August. That is going to be a good time to make a decision. I am expecting Kia to be fantastically loaded,priced above the Creta by a couple of lakhs.

Wait on if you can.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 03:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

I would consider the fact that longer service intervals would suit you well. For instance, the Innova needs a service every 5000km so you'd have to visit the service center three times as much compared to say, a VW, with a 15,000 km interval.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 09:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wouldn't recommend a Skoda if you don't have a backup car. Even if the ASS is good, downtime for parts will be high as their parts distribution network is terrible. A neighbor of mine had to wait for 3 days for a windshield for his Lauraand nearly a month for the DSG.

TLDR: You might be without your car for days even if a stone from a truck hit you windshield.

If that's okay, I'd recommend that you check out other aspects of the car and then buy it.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th February 2019 at 09:57.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 10:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:

My requirements:

I practically live in my car, and drive around 7000 - 8000 kms per month. I prefer a 5 seater, diesel car in the ballpark of 20 - 30 lakhs budget. Since, I travel a lot.
Welcome Vivern. And hard luck for the Creta. Some questions I would put forward for munching.

1.How are the roads you usually travel in?
2.How many people and luggage you take along?
3.How far you are from service centre of each manufacturer?
4.Do your require a MUV or SUV or Sedan?

I find Sedan are more comfortable for long journeys provided the roads are good. Pseudo SUVs just give sense of sitting high but are more comfortable than real SUVs. SUVs and MUVs are inherently less safe in high speeds due to high Centre of Gravity.

Please consider Octavia, Superb, Passat, Civic before jumping on to SUV bandwagon.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:37   #41
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Like many others here, I also feel the Innova Crysta AT is the car for you. Personally I have felt that a slightly higher driving position is a lot less stressful over long distances, so I would also suggest you the Crysta for your requirements.

One more vehicle which I feel matches your needs is the Isuzu MU-X. It may not be a preferred choice for many, but in your case (8000 kms a month is some serious mile munching), I feel the MU-X makes for a sensible choice as it comes with a decent safety kit, has a reliable engine, has sorted dynamics, is quite abuse-friendly in nature and is being offered with a 5-year + 1.5L kms free service and warranty too. The MU-X definitely makes for a strong case for your requirements. That said, it is still a dated vehicle and the 5-speed AT gearbox is pretty lame. You can however test drive one and decide for yourself.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

I would say pick the Hexa instead of the Crysta if you want an MUV. Or get a Scorpio. I know people will probably laugh but -

1. Cruise control, ABS ...
2. Climate control aircon
3. Erect and high seating posture - comfortable even for 12+ hours in the driver's seat
4. Wide service network, cheap and easy to service + rugged engine for mile munching
Old 8th February 2019, 03:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

I've got a friend who has a Kodiaq- he is happy with the car. Absolutely no issues for 3000km. I guess that doesn't compare to your usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
One more vehicle which I feel matches your needs is the Isuzu MU-X.
There's only 1 problem with Isuzu- service network. Quoting myself from the last post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

TLDR: You might be without your car for days even if a stone from a truck hit your windshield.

If that's okay, I'd recommend that you check out other aspects of the car and then buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I would say pick the Hexa instead of the Crysta if you want an MUV. Or get a Scorpio.
Hexa is a great choice but I'd pay extra for reliability if I were driving 8000km a month.
Wouldn't recommend the Scorpio though based on OPs experience with the Creta. It's a pretty dated platform and won't be able to match Creta on refinement/fit and finish. The Innova and Hexa are way better than the Scorpio/XUV 500.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 08:03   #44
BHPian

I would recommend Crysta AT. It’s a no brainer for your kind of usage. However, since you mentioned that it’s only your driver and you - I would recommend Corolla Altis Diesel. I know it has got lame engine but since it’s not driven by you (assuming always chauffeur driven) engine size shouldn’t make much difference. Corolla Altis will give you reliability and great mileage. Also, the ride is very comfortable.
Nitrous Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 17:26   #45
BHPian

It seems the Tuscon is the unanimous choice. However, since you aren't getting the latest model year my suggestions are the Tata Nexon or the Ford Ecosport. May sound like a step down for you but there are advantages:
1. Proven products with niggles ironed out
2. The Nexon has a 5 star NCAP rating and the ecosport top end comes with 6 airbags
3. Ground clearance: Assuming you go on non existent roads during interstate travels the extra ground clearance can come in handy. Also helps on highways when you don't want the high beams flashing in your eyes. You already know this having driven a Creta.
4. Availability of service centres across the country.
5. Not attention grabbing. Being a small business owner, it actually might help not having a "luxury car" while meeting prospective customers/sellers.
No point in going for a 7 or 8 seater M/SUV if it's just you and a driver. The environment will also thank you. Invest the extra 15 lakhs in your business and go for a proper luxury car from the big 3 after 4 years. The EV/Hybrid landscape will also be more developed by then.

Last edited by Iyencar : 25th February 2019 at 17:28.
Iyencar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks