Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2019, 10:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Want to buy a 20 - 30 lakh car for running of 8000 km / month. Which one?

For the kind of miles you're doing, there is no doubt it has to be a diesel for the ruggedness, driveability and efficiency that it offers.

Given that you had a Creta, I'm assuming your preference would be stay around the same price band.

A crossover would be better suited rather than a sedan, just for that added peace of mind to handle atleast bad roads if not off-roads.

A Jeep compass (mid variant not necssarily the 4X4) would be a good choice. Good on safety, excellent power from that 2.0 MJD, great suspension and ride. You don't have to worry much about the service/reliability factor since all new-age cars should do well for the 3-4 years that you intend to keep it (irrespective of mileage covered).
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 10:37   #17
BHPian

Apart from the ones mentioned by GTO you can also look at Mahindra Alturas G4, Hyundai Verna/Elantra and VW Tiguan. Hyundai and Mahindra after sales are decent and pretty spread out.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 11:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

@vivern - The first question is what service centres do you have close by to where you live. I assume Hyundai is there, since you got the Creta serviced within a day every time.
The second question is what type of roads are you driving on. Do you need the ground clearance of an MUV/SUV.
The third question is which type of vehicles are you more comfortable in. A lot of people prefer the high seating position of an MUV/SUV, but I personally prefer a more low slung position. In fact, for me, the lower the better.

Look at these three factors and decide the type of vehicle you need. If you are OK with Hyundai and a sedan, the Verna/Elantra/Sonata suits you depending on your budget and how much comfort/mod cons you want.

Recommending a vehicle without knowing the above details is kinda difficult. For example, I recommend a Corolla, and you live 100 km from the nearest Toyota dealer and drive on bad roads requiring GC, it doesn't work
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 11:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivern View Post
I practically live in my car, and drive around 7000 - 8000 kms per month. I prefer a 5 seater, diesel car
Apart from suggesting you to pick up another Creta. I'd suggest S-Cross from my personal experience. Clocked a little over 6000 in 2 months change. Here are some points, that should help you.

+ Abuse friendly - Can keep you happy for 1000 km/day drives. Takes bad roads with ease without bottoming out. This was my prime criteria coming from a 2010 Corolla.
+ Pocket friendly - I get 18 odd in Madras city drives and 21-22 on highway runs.
+ Decent drivability
+ Good build
+ Allround discs offer good braking.
+ Cruise control
+ Halogen projectors are decent enough (I own the Zeta trim).
+ Almost half your budget
+ Last 2 services were 2-3 hours ballpark. Another owner I spoke at the service centre for his 20K confirmed this. Lower than half day affairs at Lanson Toyota.
- Audible diesel clatter at lower speeds. Please test drive if you can live with it. Its not as silent as the Hyundai 1.6D.

If you do go ahead with S-Cross, these are points you must note:

* Know where your vehicle can be serviced. From my sketchy search, the closest for you is Trichy. Its not clear, if there's one in Perambalur. There is definitely none in Ariyalur, but this is the case with Hyundai.
* Get rid of those damned JKs straight away. They are just downright horrible.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 11:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

With your kind of use, I will suggest to buy something which has the highest safety (6 airbags, ESP, TC, BA....), automatic, fuel efficient, rugged and reliable vehicle which has also wide service network. Innova Crysta may be the only good option. XUV 500 AWD AT may be worth considering (but a bit of gamble).
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 14:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Only a few cars come to mind when it comes to dependability, long term usage and comfort in that price bracket:

Toyota Innova - this is a no brainer and needs no explanation
Hyundai Tuscon - since you are familiar with the Hyundai brand, the Tuscon ought to be a good upgrade
Honda CR-V - I am not too sure about this kne just recommending it based on the brand name as I don't know about how good or reliable Honda's diesel mills are
Volvo V40 - Bear with me on this one; Volvo's are actually far more reliable and dependable than their other European counterparts. There ought to be good discounts on the V40 too might still be a stretch but will definitely be worth it and this should represent the ultimate upgrade IMO

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th January 2019 at 14:16.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 14:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

I'd add another criteria. Quick repairs even in an accident. I would stay away from anything half premium (even Tucson or Santa Fe) given your usage unless you have another mile muncher as a backup in the event of accidental repair delays.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 14:50   #23
BHPian

I would suggest you to get a jeep for the long trips and a ciaz for the rest of the amount. That way you have a sedan to fall back in case the jeep has to wait for spares or service.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 22:07   #24

Incredible!!! Thank you so much guys! This is why I love this community and all of you. I'm so glad, I've received such thorough inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
Innova Crysta or Fortuner.
Ever since they have been into market, the reliability speaks for itself.

Why not another Creta? Top of the line should be well within your budget. You have tested it well.
I did think about going for the Crysta or the Fortuner for their reliability. They are sound options. But, Since most of the miles would just be me and may be a driver, I guess just for the two of us, Crysta and Fortuner seem like biggg vehicles. At times, when I turn back, I'd feel like, I'm alone inside a Marriage hall (Mandap)!!! Hehe. Thats the reason, I had altogether dropped the 6- 7 seater, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Welcome aboard Team BHP.

For the mileage you clock, you probably can ask any manufacturer and they would gladly give you a car for testing . :
I'd love to know more about this, AR. Does an option like that really exist, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The Innova if you are being driven around and the Tucson GLS AT,if you are driving( I am assuming you do not need a 4*4).
Why not also drive the Nissan Kicks and check it out? I am unable to comment on it as I have not driven one as yet. Considering it is a Duster cousin should work well. The only issue is the ASS, but the initial cost won't break your bank. The top spec has decent safety kit as well.
Perfect! I guess Tucson, sounds like one. But is there anyone, who has a new gen Tucson and could share a first hand experience on it?

Kicks? I'm not so sure bro! It defo looks flashy but aint classy, innit? Thanks, however!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I'd suggest the Tucson diesel looking at your requirements. It comes with a decent equipment level and should be much easier and cheaper to maintain than them German competition. If you are open to owning a sedan, then the Elantra diesel should fit the bill as well. Won't suggest the Corolla due to the puny diesel engine. Waiting for the new Civic is something you may want to do.
Tucson again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
First thing first, welcome to Team-BHP. I sincerely hope, we haven't confused you further.
Rest, I can't think of much. Maybe Tiguan, but unsure of downtime.
Sheel! You really have given the best inputs. Tucson sounds a good fit. Cos, I did think about Tiguan and Jeep. Jeep seems like too stiff on the back! It would wear me off, if I had to travel some serious distance in it coupled with the beautifully hole-patterned roads in our areas. Lol. Tiguan, I inquired, seems they have run out of 2018 models now and have to wait for the 2019 model, which might take a couple of weeks. Further, It is priced around 37 Lakhs on road in Tamilnadu. Way above my budget, bro! I did have 4 lakhs offer on the Tiguan 2018 model, up until last month. Since I was recovering and couldn't move out, lost the deal. Hard luck, innit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow! You sure spend a lot of time on the road. Firstly, I must say that we are glad you got away okay from the total loss accident.
Can't suggest the Corolla Altis because of the lame 1.4L diesel. If you're open to sedans, you might want to wait for the Civic. Launch is around the corner.
Thanks GTO! Thank god, I just had a fractured arm. Took me a couple of weeks, but alright now. Tucson again! Guess, the vehicle is really good then. I love the new Civic. But guess, I can't really wait for it, as I don't have a car, at the moment.

Thank you so much guys!!!

Summing up, the practical option I have at my hands is Tucson. Seems like most member have given a thumbs up for Tucson here. Is there anyone, who could give a ownership review or firsthand experience on the Tucson, please?
vivern is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 23:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Summing up, the practical option I have at my hands is Tucson. Seems like most member have given a thumbs up for Tucson here. Is there anyone, who could give a ownership review or firsthand experience on the Tucson, please?
I think this is the only review on the forum of the new Tucson:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...m-shankar.html (Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 04:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

A left field alternative: why not a BMW X1 if you drive yourself or an Audi Q3 if you are driven?

BMW certainly sells low mileage demo cars at a steep discount. I am sure Audi does too.

I don't like the Mercedes SUVs but if sedans are ok, then a C class might be just near the budget.

Check this thread (Unregistered but used premium cars)

Pay for & take 4 year unlimited-miles all-included no-questions-asked warranty &service package for peace of mind. Since you will sell the car in 3-4 years, these cars should be reliable in that period (warranty will cover it if not) and you will have a safe, good car

Might also convey a "Look at me, I am so good at my job that I can afford this car" message to your customers & prospects. (That may or may not be a good thing in your business but in most businesses, it is good)

Last edited by sridhu : 21st January 2019 at 04:49.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 09:20   #27
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 20 - 30 lakh car for running of 8000 km / month. Which one?

All the best with your search for a new workhorse.

If I may be indulged, refer to the below post by desideep in the new Camry thread giving a vote of confidence to the older Camry. His post mentions that his friend's 2012 Camry has run 8.5 Lakh kms without any major work.
May be slightly over your stated budget but definitely something to consider due to its dependable nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I have used the 7th Gen Camry Hybrid at work. It runs around 6.5-8 L/100 KM. My friend has one 2012 model it has been 8.5 Lakh KM and no major works done apart from normal service. Now it seems that he will need a new suspension.
Ithaca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 09:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tucson matches your requirements of power, space, diesel and service availability to the maximum, it is a mile muncher all the way.

With your usage, the Creta (new version) sounds more value for money though, almost 8-9 lacs cheaper, and since there are only 2 people using it, the rear seats are more than enough. However, the build-quality and safety quotient in Tucson is a level up. I would suggest S-Cross also, but its diesel engine is too small, specially seeing that you do highways most of the time and driving in high-revs all the time would not only be noisy given that 1.3 engine but also inefficient given its setup.

You can straight away eliminate sedans from the line-up, they are too low so Elantra, Civic etc might not give the seating comfort over longer distances and they also won't have the ground clearance. The car which might've suited you the best is no longer on sale, it was compact, built well, and had good FE and apart from the rock-hard seats it was a true all-rounder under 25L - the Skoda Yeti, otherwise that would've been my first recommendation.Used examples might be available very cheap though.

Last edited by dark.knight : 21st January 2019 at 09:27.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 10:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you get a Creta Diesel top end Automatic. You are familiar and comfortable with the car and it falls within your budget as well. Tuscon may not feel an upgrade over the Creta. And if i understand correctly you are not looking for a upgrade as well. You want a replacement for your Creta which served you so well. The cost will be well within your budget and you will be able to use the extra amount that you have saved for the tyre upgrade and other routine maintainence. Anyway you will wear out the tyres in 6 months .

Just my 2 cents
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 11:17   #30
Team-BHP Support

For someone who is on the road for such extended duration, I would say safety should be the primary criteria. Considering that, I would suggest the following:
  1. VW Tiguan Comfortline – a bit above the mentioned budget, but a safe and solid option.
  2. Skoda Octavia TDI – go for the top-end trim with all bells and whistles.
  3. Hyundai Tucson – another safe option
  4. Wait for the new Honda Civic – Should be a reliable workhorse and have great road presence.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks