Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 13:17   #16
BHPian

Re: What's the coolest car one can buy for Rs 100,000?

How about a Standard 2000? Not sure if there are many around. Have not seen one in ages.
Or a first generation Zen.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Is a car really needed? Why not buy an old nice looking bike and park it right in the middle of the parking? maybe even 2- A bike and a scooter
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Get absolutely good condition 9.5 years old Swift VDI from NCR with NOC for 70-80k.

A friend sold one last week (in exchange of Ertiga Petrol).

Worth the effort of taking it to Mumbai and RC transfer hassles.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 17th April 2019 at 13:25.
mukeshgoel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:27   #19
BHPian

I'd suggest the Hyundai Santro Xing / Getz /

Xing will be in abundance and maintaining it shall be much easier on the mind and pocket.

Finding a Getz will be a bit more difficult than Xing, but some repairs and it can become a potent pocket-rocket!

Last edited by sharktale : 17th April 2019 at 13:30.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is a car really needed? Why not buy an old nice looking bike and park it right in the middle of the parking? maybe even 2- A bike and a scooter
There will be someone who will park their car\bike\cycle by moving the bikes within the marked lines. If questioned they would probably say "sharing is caring" .
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Did anyone watch the Kannada movie Kavaludaari?

I always had a soft corner for the old Fiats, after watching the movie and Ananth Nag in it, I am now even more eager to get one and save it for when my daughter eventually learns to drive in a few years. I just hope it's prices don't shoot up

Premier Padmini will do sir.

PS: first Kannada movie I have watched in the theater.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone in the family might need to buy a car to hold a parking spot. Wants to spend max of 1 lakh rupees.

He figures that, if it's going to be parked in his compound, it might as well look nice. So, what's the most interesting car one can buy for 1 lakh?

Should be as hassle-free as possible to maintain, therefore W124s and the like are out. No Jeep or Gypsy either.

Contessa Classic?
HM Ambassador?
A neatly maintained Padmini?
An SS80 Maruti?

Thank you in advance !
A black Ambassador will be my top choice, followed by either a Premier 118 NE or a Lancer.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone in the family might need to buy a car to hold a parking spot. Wants to spend max of 1 lakh rupees.
How about this:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...t-Select.html/

I assume this is for Mumbai. The car is located in Nagpur. So no worries about inter-state transfer too.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 14:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend any of the classic indian cars like the Padmini and Ambassador given our humidity levels & the rains. They could turn into rust buckets if not properly looked after.

Instead, I would choose a newer contemporary classic like the Zen, Lancer SFXi, Old Honda City (like your VTEC). A design that doesn't age too quickly, and one that will be easily available and have enthusiasts oogling away.
Look hard and you may even find a 2001-03 Honda Accord - in black please, and make sure to keep the trunk facing the wall!

Edit: I actually saw some fun cars listed online on carwale not so long ago: A Ford Fusion, an electric blue Getz, and a pretty nice Zen & City too!

Last edited by lamborghini : 17th April 2019 at 14:41.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to the post above. Even id stay away from the Ambassdor and the Padmini. Not only due to the reason stated above, but also they are not hassle free like Japanese cars. I know a bunch of friends who, out of love for cars have bought the Ambassdor, Padmini and Contessa and spent a fortune restoring them. However the cars have remained show pieces.

If the car has to be ‘used’ buy any Japanese cars. The Honda City is a great option. If it’s for show, you have a lot of options.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:01   #26
BHPian

Interesting thread GTO! My preference would be a Tata Indigo Marina.

Why? First, I love estates and a well maintained Marina in black would look nice (from the rear three quarters). Second, it'd be cheap to maintain due to sharing the Indica underpinnings. Third and most important, if I were to reserve a garage space anyway - why not maximise the space occupied? Hence the Marina for it truly is more sq feet per car

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 17th April 2019 at 16:03.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend any of the classic indian cars like the Padmini and Ambassador given our humidity levels & the rains. They could turn into rust buckets if not properly looked after.
We've had a Padmini and an Ambassador and these cars rust too easily. My vote would be for the Zen. Those things are built to last. I sold our '99 Zen couple of years ago and it was a hoot to drive right till the end. There is a good chance you'll get one in decent shape for half the budget.
They are also incredibly cheap to maintain and run. I'd avoid the MPFI version just to keep things simple. You'd rather clean a carb than mess about with complicated electronics.
Roy.S is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:35   #28
BHPian

Not sure if OT but why is it so, that a parking space has to be 'held'? And going to such an extent as to buy a car for that! Wouldn't it be nice if other folks who are desperately looking for space be given this?
Maybe am missing something!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Not sure if OT but why is it so, that a parking space has to be 'held'? And going to such an extent as to buy a car for that! Wouldn't it be nice if other folks who are desperately looking for space be given this?
Maybe am missing something!
Best to not go off-topic, but I will attempt to answer as it is a fairly common issue in Mumbai.
In the past, especially in older buildings - flat owners bought a parking space. Sometimes there is no clear record of the transaction taking place (please keep in mind that a lot of old buildings don't even have an Occupation Certificate from the BMC - such is the manner of record keeping and paperwork by the builders before the norms were enforced to make the market more transparent), society could be playing games, etc.
Getting a new parking spot once you've given it up can not only affect your property's value, but can be increasingly expensive - I remember reading a thread/news article where someone paid 25,00,000 (or was it INR 50L) for a parking spot in Malabar Hill!
I'm seeing this struggle take place in three very close friends premises - which is quite a lot given its not a topic you generally discuss. One has barricaded off his spot, another has an i10 parked there permanently, and so on and so forth.

Last edited by lamborghini : 17th April 2019 at 16:44.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 17:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
and so on and so forth.
Never knew the issues were actually that serious. Bangalore thankfully isn't in that situation yet but given the number of cars bought every month we surely are heading that way.
Anyways, as someone said, i too would suggest a santro xing as they are easily available and reliable as well for that occasional use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks