Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2019, 08:34   #76
BHPian

Re: What's the coolest car one can buy for Rs 100,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes, dude owns the parking spot..
Out of ignorance I ask, can't he take it back when he gets car since he has papers to prove he is the owner?

Can't he rent it to someone who needs it still maintaining ownership? That's what happens in Hyd, ppl with multiple cars rent a parking spot from other flat owners who have one or no cars. 2 designated parking spots for every flat has kind of becoming the norm these days.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 08:47   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Out of ignorance I ask, can't he take it back when he gets car since he has papers to prove he is the owner?
He's not keen on renting as he doesn't need the money or hassle.

Let me tell you an incident = someone I know had bought a flat for investment. Had kept it empty. As is usually the case, from monthly visits, she started visiting once in 2 months, then 3...then 6. It once came to a point where she hadn't visited the place in quite a long time. When she went finally, there was a family living out there . Of course, they were eventually evicted through legal proceedings, but it was a LOT of work. Illegal encroachment of all types is a severe problem in this mega city.

Let's not take the thread anymore off-topic please.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Should be as hassle-free as possible to maintain
Why not buy a car without a motor in it? A car with a motor, just standing idle is not going to be "hassle-free". It won't crank when you want it to.

If it must be something nice to look at, buy an old Matador 305 and put a VW badge in front.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 11:27   #79
BHPian

I vote for Santro Xing.

I am sure it can be found withing that budget. It has some positives too, easy to repair since person like GTO can easily refer his relative to an honest FNG. OEM parts are pretty cheap & widely available. Although this model is discontinued but huge volume of Santro on road will make sure easy OEM spare availability for next 5 years atleast.

Santro Xing has many advantage over other options. Mainly being a small hatch its way light on pocket and can actually be used as beater car within city limits for those home/family duty where we hate to take our primary car.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 19:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Oh there are so many cars but if I had to pick the coolest, those would have to be, in no particular order:

Tata Sierra

SS80

Zen

Ambassador

I know there are many other vehicles that are available in the price bracket, but I'm sure they cannot beat these four in terms of cool factor
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 20:16   #81
BHPian

What a typical "city" problem

Lot a good names in the thread already. I'd look at:

1. Alto K10 - a practical runabout, and better availability vs SS80

2. Maruti Esteem (as many others have suggested). The car ages quite well, 70-80k model could be a good option. If a larger "footprint" car is needed vs a hatch, this is a good option. My first car was a used M-1000, the precursor to the Esteem.

I'm tempted to add Palio or Punto, but i guess these won't be easy on maintenance.

Last edited by gautam109 : 19th April 2019 at 20:17. Reason: typo corrected
gautam109 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 20:18   #82
BHPian

A well maintained Maruti SS80 should be available well below the 1L mark and will be a sensible choice IMO. My reason, it will still be drivable instead of being a showpiece and once you find a ride to fill the spot permanently, you will still be able to dispose it off for almost the same price as you brought it.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 09:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

Let the parking slot continue to be alloted to your friend in his/her own name. Let your friend just find a noble soul who does not have a good parking slot and let him use it out of helpfulness/kindness. Whenever your friend needs the parking back, just ask the soul he/she found to vacate. Draw a small paperwork in simple English that slot belongs to your friend and he is only helping the soul to use it till further notified time (in good faith not legal) that at least holds-up well in Soceity.

Dont get me wrong. There is nothing wrong in holding to a slot even for future readiness/need perspective. But if your friend wont use his/her 100000 car; people will start calling adjectives which he /she maynot like. An old standing car's tyres go bad, rust piles up due to dust soon, clutch pedals and other components start getting hard making it inconvinient even for weekend or once a month drive.

In reality if the best option is still to buy a car, buy a first gen Swift, practical, easy to maintain. Would look genuine as well. Ohh and ZXI pls. Find a collegue or friend or neighbour or society aquintance who drives a similar car everyday to work. Offer him to use the Swift once a week (your friend pays petrol) free of cost so the car remains in decent running nick.
dipen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 13:25   #84
BHPian

I owned a Maruti Zen 2002 mpfi in the past and these are reliable little machines which look super cool and hold resale value as well.. can also take these for a spin or service at minimal cost.. I did 20 k kms in the Zen in 3 yrs and it costed at max 2000 RS per year..
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 14:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

So many options! Hope GTO updates the thread once they make a purchase

Would strongly recommend Nano for plenty of reasons:
  • Easy to find a cheap one in running condition.
  • No issues related to FC or roadtax for a long time, since most of the examples would be less than 5 years old.
  • Cheap to maintain.
  • Can actually be useful within city, unlike some vintage options.
  • Minimal depreciation loss.
  • MIGHT be a future classic, just how interest for M800 is shooting up.

For sure not in the list of cool cars, but most practical buy IMO.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 20th April 2019 at 14:02.
giri1.8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 07:15   #86
BHPian

Hi GTO,

It's a good challenge to get our minds thinking about cool cars in under 1lac

Some very good suggestions on the thread so far.

I want to add to the suggestions the original Ford beast - 1.6 petrol Ikon.

The other car to consider would be a Hyundai Accent nicely modded and with a great paint job.

Both these cars would be available for under 75k and you can spend the rest on tlc so that they look cooler
xsrahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO,

Keep us posted. The purchase journey for this INR 100000 car will be interesting.

Also, keep sharing potential candidates if possible in Mumbai. I may soon have to do a similar thing, more from a emergency vehicle requirement rather than parking occupancy. This vehicle will be used for scenarios where Ola / Uber will be impractical.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:09   #88
BHPian

Thanks GTO for starting a thread which I can relate to 100%. I had to move from Kolkata to Gurugram this March'19 and had to take my Polo alongwith which left my garage space up for grabs unless I park another vehicle. Although I first thought of getting a 1800 ISZ Ambassador but after a stern glare from my mother went for a car which was driven 10000 Kms in 10 years of ownership - a Cherry Red Chevrolet Spark 1.0 PS BS-III for Rs.80000. It is almost brand new with the paint still shining without applying any wax or polish whatsoever till date. My garage looks cheerful now at least to my mother, as according to her, earlier there stood one serious looking Shadow Blue Polo with a stern face. The car runs strong apart from an issue with the AC gas and I am happy because other than just occupying the garage, it can also be used reasonably well to travel within town and sometimes outskirts too.
Wanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:32   #89
BHPian

If the car will never be used and will remain parked all the time, then I think it would make sense to pick up a very old ,disused vehicle from your nearest garage. You should be able to pick one up for less than Rs 15000. Have it towed to the parking lot & park it there. Cover it up with a decent car cover. Your expenses will be around Rs 20000. There will be no resale value as such. But this is the same as buying a used,functional car for Rs 1,00,000 and then selling it at a much lower price due to depreciation. You will also save money on servicing,fuel etc . The net expenses will more or less be the same.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:59   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
For old apartments where people have fewer parking spaces to the number of cars in each family, these things turn friends enemies, neighbours foes. Sometimes when your parking lies empty and your good old neighbour asks a favour , you just cant refuse. When it comes to vacating the space after say 5-6 years things are not that smooth and it gets all the more difficult if you are selling your apartment.
I have seen this first hand in our 90s built apartment in Calcutta(now Kolkata).

It's better to keep a beater car and block the space to avoid such unpleasant confrontations.
saion666 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks