Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 17:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Tata Nexon XM vs Altroz XT

Glad to have found this thread! Test drove both yesterday (the diesel Altroz, in this case), and while the rear seat comfort, ground clearance, extra power were factors totally in favour of the Nexon, the Altroz handled way better and I could instantly push it to the limits more easily thanks to almost no body roll, and precise handling. The Nexon's not bad on these, but that difference and the couple of lakhs lesser spent upfront got me thinking about the Altroz seriously. This is to replace the 20+ year old City.
zenx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 12:31   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Glad to have found this thread! Test drove both yesterday (the diesel Altroz, in this case), and while the rear seat comfort, ground clearance, extra power were factors totally in favour of the Nexon, the Altroz handled way better and I could instantly push it to the limits more easily thanks to almost no body roll, and precise handling. The Nexon's not bad on these, but that difference and the couple of lakhs lesser spent upfront got me thinking about the Altroz seriously. This is to replace the 20+ year old City.
Altroz seems be better built with good interiors. If altroz was launched when I was buying Nexon I would have been confused too.
For me it was GC, 5 star crash rating, awesome music system, decent features and good build quality that sealed the deal.
Of this with Altroz only GC is not taken care rest everything is good. If you can manage with the GC altroz is a good pick
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 13:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Hi Sameer, Akshay from Goa. We have booked a Altroz Diesel and Nexon Petrol. I had gone to book Nexon but liked Altroz dynamics so much that I booked it for myself.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Hi Sameer, Akshay from Goa. We have booked a Altroz Diesel and Nexon Petrol. I had gone to book Nexon but liked Altroz dynamics so much that I booked it for myself.
Yeah, I didn't feel body roll in the Nexon till I drove the Altroz. And in City mode, both make the same 89bhp anyway, the Altroz being almost 200kg lighter. It's a seriously good handler. Rear seats are inexplicably short though and lack under-thigh support. Will a couple of chair cushions fix that?

GC : saw multiple reviews where it didn't bottom out even on bad roads - the number isn't the only determinant.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

So I went and tried all the cars, multiple variants all over again. This included a 2019 diesel XZA+ in great condition. Here's some perceptions.

1. I barely felt the AMT "jerks" I read about - both in the petrol and the diesel.
2. The showroom guys were all insistent the diesel AMT does NOT get more than 18-19 on the highway even in City mode! I was assuming it'll be a 20kmpl+ car easily
3. The rear seat of the Altroz, while nowhere as comfortable as the Nexon's, aren't outright terrible either. Over a 6 hour trip, might mean one more stretch break, if one indeed has rear passengers.

I somehow cannot think of why spending 3.5-4L more on a new car vs a 2019 Nexon makes sense Don't particularly care about cruise control, and definitely not interested in thee sunroof.

The confusion continues!
Old 22nd April 2021, 22:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

Update : picking up the used XZA Diesel. Finally gave in to the rear seat comfort, GC and ride height which does make a difference over long distances, and hoping the FE difference isn't felt much and I manage to get 18+ on highways. The drive itself is amazing!
zenx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:25   #67
BHPian

Which TATA car?

Hello BHPians. Hope you're all staying safe. I have been reading on Team-BHP since rigorously since 2017. I hope you guys will be able to help this confused man in making a car purchase decision. We as a family want to purchase our very first car. We've decided to purchase TATA car, but can't decide on which model. Please find our requirments below.

Needs:

1. Safety. Except TATA all cars are out.
  2. Shouldn't be a slug. Need not be a superb drivers car, all I need is one that will not be a struggle to move.
  3. Rear seat should accomodate 3 passengers when the requirment arises. Not strictly necessary as of now.
  4. OTR price shouldn't exceed 10L.
  5. Service for cars depends on location, so mpre service centers should be available. I have MS, Hyundai and TATA showrooms & service centers in my town.
  6. Should hold well for 5+ years, would say 10 years but think government will impose heavy taxes on ICE engine cars.
  7. Needs to be a pertol engine.
  8. My usage will be limited to driving in my town and maybe I will take it to Tier-1 city a couple of years later. As of now size is not a major concern.

Shortlist:

Based on the above requirments we have shortlisted the below TATA cars:
  • TATA Tiago
  • TATA Altroz
  • TATA Nexon

TATA TIAGO:

Pros:
  • Small car, will fit through the market streets in my town.
  • Good looking car compared to others in TATAs stable
  • Good kit on offer for the price

Cons:
  • Weak petrol engine, all the popular car website and reviewers have mentioned this. I've only driven a 2010 Alto and have no idea how fast/sluggish this car will feel to drive.
  • 6 months/7500km service interval.
  • A.S.S.

TATA ALTROZ:

Pros:
  • Gorgeous car. Most beautiful in TATAs stable under 10L.
  • 90 degree opening doors will be good to have for my parents.
  • Can seat 3 people in the rear seat without much discomfort.

Cons:
  • New product, couldn't find any ownership reviews on the car, worried about reliability.
  • Less GC.
  • A.S.S

Note: We have chosen only the turbo petrol variants of Altroz into consideration, NA petrol is out.

TATA NEXON:

Pros:
  • Not like a Safari but design appeals to my heart.
  • High G.C
  • Can seat 3 people in the rear seat without much discomfort.
  • Good view for the driver, except the thick A-Pillar

Cons:
  • With ever increasing petrol cost. Mileage is on the lower end comapred to other produucts on TATAs stable below 10L.
  • A.S.S
  • Thick A-pillar. Will be difficult to drive in Tier-1 city.

BHPians, please share your opinions and suggestions.

Note:
Even though this car would be completely used in a city, but family doesn't want to compromise on the Saftey Rating.
Mods, our purchase decision involves cars from multiple segments so I don't know whether to put it in the Hatchbacks thread or SUV thread, please do the necessary.

Last edited by mr_robot : 6th June 2021 at 13:35.
mr_robot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:40   #68
BHPian

Re: Which TATA car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
Hello BHPians. Hope you're all staying safe. I have been reading on Team-BHP since rigorously since 2017. I hope you guys will be able to help this confused man in making a car purchase decision.
Hello! Looking into your options I would really like to suggest you the Altroz. The car all in all is a great package of comfort, driving pleasure and is even the most economical out of the three. If you’re only looking for TATA cars then the Altroz will be a car which you’d like. A friend of mine bought one in October 2020 and has had no issues whatsoever. He complains about the A.S.S sometimes but that will be the same with the other two options too.
Cheers!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th June 2021 at 13:54. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
speedfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:42   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I will pick the Nexon here. The A-pillar you will get used to (I drive the Storme, and occasionally, an A-Star. (even my wife doesnt complain of the thick A-pillar).

This one is heavier of the 3 due it's design and build, and will affect the FE. Also the engine being bigger. But overall if you look at the difference in cost of fuel compared to the other 2, it should not be a deal breaker.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I will pick the Nexon here. The A-pillar you will get used to.
This is reassuring to read, thank you for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But overall if you look at the difference in cost of fuel compared to the other 2, it should not be a deal breaker.
Agreed, as the yearly usage will be ~5k km, this wouldn't be such a huge burden on our pockets.
Old 6th June 2021, 13:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to the confusion. If safety is the number one priority, I assume the highest ncap rated car in India, the xuv300 is ruled out because of a lack of service centers?
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

Since you have already set your heart at TATA, I will only voice my opinion from your shortlist. The selection seems very easy as the manufacturer is same for all three cars.

Lets look at the cons:
1. Weak engine in Tiago: Not an issue in Altroz and Nexon.
2. A.S.S.: common to all three.
3. Service interval: Common to all three.
4. Less GC in Altroz: Not an issue for Nexon.
5. Thick A pillar in Nexon an issue for Tier-1 cities: Not really as you will get used to it soon for sure.

Regarding the needs, only point 2 and 3 will be the differentiating factors i.e. engine performance/driveability and rear seat with a capacity of seating 3 passengers comfortably.

As you are spending upto 10 lacs, I see no value in suggesting the Tiago regardless of how good the car is since it seems you will keep the car for 5-10 years and need 3 people to be seated at the back.

Between Altroz and Nexon, it clearly weighed towards the Nexon for the following reasons:
1. You are connected with its looks so that is not a con in your case.
2. Rear can seat 3 people.
3. Engine performance is good.
4. High GC will serve you well in tier 2 cities and smaller towns.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 6th June 2021 at 14:04.
PaddleShifter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The xuv300 is ruled out because of a lack of service centers?
Exactly. No passenger vehicle showroom and service center. I will have to get it serviced at the local Mahindra Commercial Vehicles service center.
mr_robot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:05   #74
BHPian

I feel Nexon is largely niggle free product. All other Tata cars seem to have some issues, especially the newer Harrier, Safari etc.

If you can afford Nexon then I suggest you to go for it. It is better to buy a bigger car rather than upgrading from multiple cars starting from very low end. You save lots of money going for a big car rather than changing your car every few years. Nexon is Tata's cash cow so the resale value will be good.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:06   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Between Altroz and Nexon, it clearly weighed towards the Nexon for the following reasons:
1. You are connected with its looks so that is not a con in your case.
2. Rear can seat 3 people.
3. Engine performance is good.
4. High GC will serve you well in tier 2 cities and smaller towns.
Yes, although the doors of Altroz open 90 degrees, I'm kind of leaning towards Nexon as the ingress/egress is better than Altroz due to higher seating position.
mr_robot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks