Team-BHP > What Car?


View Poll Results: Used D2 segment car or a brand new Kia Seltos/MG Hector?
Camry Hybrid (March 2015, 60K running, Price after negotiation- 13 Lakh) 123 29.57%
Skoda Superb TSI MT (Latest iteration 2016 model, 58K Running, Price after negotiation-11.5Lakh) 146 35.10%
Mahindra XUV W11 AT (Nov 2018,29K Running, Price after negotiation- 11.5Lakh) 47 11.30%
NEW Kia Seltos 1.4 GTX + DCT 90 21.63%
NEW MG Hector Sharp 2.0 10 2.40%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 15:48   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

I voted for the Superb as that would be my personal choice. I would advice a German used car only to those who are very involved owners and are willing to spend some time and money with and on their cars. There is always an element of doubt with VAG on ASS and parts availability, situation has improved but not to an extent of a closed eyes buy.

If you feel your propensity to take a risk is lower, then Camry will be a good choice. Both these take you segment higher

All the best buddy.
The Observer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 19:31   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,794
Thanked: 1,852 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Camry vs Superb is a separate debate but those two are head and shoulders above the Seltos, Hector and XUV in every aspect - comfort, performance, prestige, you name it.

With these two wheel drive SUVs, all you're really getting is extra ground clearance and the new car experience - are either of these factors important to you?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 20:12   #48
BHPian
 
pranavGTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: MH12/TN28/TN88
Posts: 56
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

I voted for Mahindra XUV W11 AT for few reasons
1. Awesome engine and good road presence.
2. 2018 SUV should be under standard warranty. Good time to buy extended warranty for peace of mind.
3. Though Mahindra's service is yet to improve a lot in handling and fixing electronic issues, the service network has good coverage.
pranavGTI is offline  
Old 11th May 2020, 20:12   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 968
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I should have been a bit more clearer on the doubts I have on these cars-

1) Superb- Even though it's MT, I am not really sure about how good the ASS would be. If any BHPian's could share their reviews on this please! Also any idea how much FE can I expect with a 80% cruising - 20 % aggressive highway driving?

Also just to be clear, this is the Style trim, one level below the top trim.

2) Camry Hybrid. - I hope the Toyota's parts for the current Camry and the old one would be similar and I won't have much issues with the ASS. Skeptical about this. Other than that it just misses out on the Android Auto and a sunroof. Both of which aren't of paramount importance to me.

3) XUV500 - It really is a jack of all trades kind of a car. And Yes, I would prefer driving a XUV as the family size increases! That said, I am afraid of the niggles the previous iterations of XUV had. Also a bit skeptical about how the AT would hold up, and will the ASS of Mahindra will be capable enough to handle any issues that might pop up. The NVH levels in the sedans mentioned would obviously be much better than XUV too.

I am actually 90% sure I don't want to spend 20+ L on a brand new Hector or Seltos. (Due to the current Pandemic situation) I just wanted to see if I see any viewpoints that force me to reconsider.

I am fine with the MT gearbox, as the car would be primarily for highway duties. I would prefer an autobox, but again not Skoda's DSG. As stated earlier, just not sure about the ASS from Skoda.

How hard would be the parts availability for the old Camry? Only uncertain about that aspect. I can live with the rubberband effect of the CVT.

How troublesome would be the ASS of the Skoda? I mean will it be too heavy on the wallet, or will there be the case of my pleas with the ASS falling on deaf ears? I can live a bit with the former, but later is something I am hoping to avoid.

The thing is, Amaze has already crossed 1 lakh Kms on the Odo and is nearly 7 years old now. I am not highly confident of pushing the car, as I used to on the highways. Therefore had started search for a new car. However, I don't intend to spend more than 12 lakh (Cautious due to Covid situation), and hence decided to look in the pre owned market as well!

Sure the list of merits for XUV is extremely high. Just worried about how troublesome would the famed ""Mahindra Niggles would be? This will be the first Pre Owned car in our family and I have fought hard for this initiative! I just don't want it to backfire on me.
Based on the above observations you have made;

If are looking at bad roads in your highway drives, then you are stuck with XUV. You will have to manage the ASS, what ever it may be. Otherwise, Seltos/MG will make sense with warranty, but it is not as good as the XUV on bad roads. Your choices for SUVs is not great. If you really want solid SUV for bad roads, I'd rather spend 15 lakhs on these;

1. Older Fortuner (least maintenance, great reliability it doesn't matter even if it has done 1 lakh + kms also, high purchase and resale cost), I would suggest increase your budget a little since you will save that money in ASS.

2. Not so old Pajero Sport (maintenance similar to Superb, availability of parts could take time, good reliability, purchase and resale cost average).

3. Not so old Endeavor (maintenance similar to Superb, fairly reliable, purchase and resale cost average).

(This is the cheapest with great thrills if you don't mind the petrol FE of 8-10, CVT and if I was on a tight budget of 5-8 lakhs, I am still toying with this idea for myself )
4. Outlander 2012 onward (maintenance similar to Superb, availability of parts could take time, good reliability, purchase and resale cost average, actually you may lose the least here in resale).

Now that out of the way, if you are going on good highways and you love the drive hugging the road in full control, it will be Superb only. And if you don't mind and just cruise on a plush ride without much or any aggressive drives, Camary it is.

If you want to feel like a Royal, again it is Superb or Camary.

The maintenance between the Camary and the Superb will be the same. You need to note that the Camary is a hybrid and will have certain components which if gone wrong will be prohibitively expensive. Even otherwise, the parts of Camary since imported will be as expensive as the Superb. Toyota ASS is responsive and immediate, but that said, Camary parts may take some time to arrive, still overall experience will be better than the Superb. Parts reliability of Toyota is good, but on the average of next 4 years, the difference is negligible. Cost of parts will relatively remain the same, labour might be slightly cheaper for Toyota, but again negligible. With these two cars you are looking at about 25K a year in maintenance at the most (anticipating major 80-100 K kms service. And if some big cost part unexpectedly goes kaput, add another 50K for that one time over the average of 25K), considering both will cross 80K kms mark with you, so a major service will be in the line. I would be mentally prepared for 1.5 lakhs for the next 4-5 years, just in case. Otherwise if you are lucky - maybe just 10K a year. Depreciation, resale value is similar for both.

If I were you and if I was going only on - average, good to excellent highways, it is Superb MT for me.
zulfi hansi is offline  
Old 11th May 2020, 23:29   #50
BHPian
 
avdhesh15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 758
Thanked: 907 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Annual running would be less than 5K kilometers.
For 400 km monthly, use an Innova taxi for that single outstation trip. If you want to self drive use self driven options. You can try a new car every month!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 23:47   #51
BHPian
 
bharatbits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 378
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Now that all the pros and cons of all the cars have been listed I'll say what I would do if I were in your place.

An upgrade is not really an upgrade if you use the car only once a month and it sits in the garage as a showpiece for the remaining time. If I were you I'd get rid of the Amaze and get the XUV. Simple, no nonsense AT SUV. But again, that's me. I may even want to look at Hexa but you haven't listed it in your options.
bharatbits is online now  
Old 12th May 2020, 00:20   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Campbell
Posts: 1,673
Thanked: 2,626 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

XUV 500 should be your pick if you need the 7 seats.
I assume you're okay with 5 seaters too- pick the Camry or the Superb. D-segment cars are much better engineered than the Seltos/Hector. Sure, you may miss some bling, but I'd give up some features for comfort.

The Camry will be more reliable than the Superb. Please get the Camry inspected by Toyota ASS. Most batterries should last 10-15 years and maybe 150k-200k kms (in India.)

The Superb might be slightly less reliable, but it'll definitely be the more fun car to drive.
landcruiser123 is online now  
Old 12th May 2020, 01:51   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Nashik
Posts: 46
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Voted for Skoda Superb.

1. Since you are tempted to consider D2 segment cars, I believe aspirational value is important to you, which brings down your choices only to Camry and Superb.
2. Secondly, since the car will be used on highway, I'd prefer a sedan for better dynamics compared to an SUV. An SUV would have been in contention if higher ground clearance and imposing/towering presence is a priority. This again brings it down to Camry and Superb.
3. Head says Camry, being a Toyota (synonymous to reliability and durability), especially in pre-owned case. Heart says Superb - I always saw it as an E-class without a three-pointed star. Moreover, the smile it will bring after every drive is unparalleled among all the options listed. Only downside is, you have to live with expensive and hit-or-miss Skoda service.
swapnil.awate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 08:03   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chennai
Posts: 83
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Skoda Suberb TSI (Anytime & Anyday)

Superb is a true D2 segment car which has excellent road balance in highways. Just add a revamp, Full Service and Michelin Primacy tires(Since 58K run). You are good to go !!!
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 08:40   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Hey mate,
Firstly congrats on 7 years with the Honda and wish it continues serving you for many more amazing miles.

I voted for Camry as I feel from a point of view if stress free ownership experience toyota comes next in mind after a maruti. The resale value as and when you decide to let go of this sweet ride would also hold better as its a Toyota compared to say a Mahindra or Skoda who very few enthusiasts would want to pick up. All this being subject to the condition of the camry battery since its a hybrid.

If you find issues with the Toyota, maybe the best option is to walk away from the 7year itch of buying another car and upgrade later once the macro economic situation improves.

Do let us know your choice once you make it. All the best!
xsrahul is offline  
Old 12th May 2020, 11:59   #56
BHPian
 
evil_grin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 72
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

The higher (segment, not height ) you go, the better the car, especially for highways. So the Superb, if driving pleasure is paramount and you're willing to bear higher maintenance and lower reliability for the sake of it. Or the Camry, if higher reliability and lower regular maintenance is more acceptable to you at the cost of lower driving pleasure.

But your 5km a year is too low running to buy a second car just for that purpose. I'd strongly recommend renting a car (every time a different one ) for outstation trips, especially given the virus situation and it's impact on health and jobs.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 12:50   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 95
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
The higher (segment, not height ) you go, the better the car, especially for highways. So the Superb, if driving pleasure is paramount and you're willing to bear higher maintenance and lower reliability for the sake of it. Or the Camry, if higher reliability and lower regular maintenance is more acceptable to you at the cost of lower driving pleasure.

But your 5km a year is too low running to buy a second car just for that purpose. I'd strongly recommend renting a car (every time a different one ) for outstation trips, especially given the virus situation and it's impact on health and jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsrahul View Post
Hey mate,
Firstly congrats on 7 years with the Honda and wish it continues serving you for many more amazing miles.

I voted for Camry as I feel from a point of view if stress free ownership experience toyota comes next in mind after a maruti. The resale value as and when you decide to let go of this sweet ride would also hold better as its a Toyota compared to say a Mahindra or Skoda who very few enthusiasts would want to pick up. All this being subject to the condition of the camry battery since its a hybrid.

If you find issues with the Toyota, maybe the best option is to walk away from the 7year itch of buying another car and upgrade later once the macro economic situation improves.

Do let us know your choice once you make it. All the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Now that all the pros and cons of all the cars have been listed I'll say what I would do if I were in your place.

An upgrade is not really an upgrade if you use the car only once a month and it sits in the garage as a showpiece for the remaining time. If I were you I'd get rid of the Amaze and get the XUV. Simple, no nonsense AT SUV. But again, that's me. I may even want to look at Hexa but you haven't listed it in your options.
I agree on all your points. However there's a other side to me considering a second car.

Amaze will be relegated to family duties and for my parents to ferry them around when I am at office. Currently I work in Mumbai and parents stay in Pune, I plan to switch my company in say a year or so, and come to Pune. From then onwards, I guess will use the bike and (2nd) car alternatively (or during harsh weather conditions) for my office use. I have estimated the 5K kms usage in this scenario, as most office places in the city are just about 10-15 kms from my home. It won't be just a garage showpiece!

Amaze too won't be sold off, as it would be cumbersome driving such a large vehicle in city traffic for my parents. Perhaps, I feel Amaze is good enough for another 5 odd years (especially considering only city duties). So no point selling it off.

That said, I have been having second thoughts about purchasing a new(or used) car immediately post lockdown. While financially its good currently, IMO we all don't know where we are headed. If everything pans out as intended, may go for the second car, but for now its time to wait and watch.
07CR is offline  
Old 12th May 2020, 13:42   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 320
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Voted for MG Hector 2.0 as I love their 10 inch HU and the powerful and reliable Fiat sourced engine. I myself considering a pre-worshipped Jeep Compass Diesel Limited Plus variant (just waiting for market read after lockdown).

I would strongly advise to stay away from Mahindra's AT's or AMT's. I am suffering from past 3 years with the TUV 300 AMT and my colleague is suffering from constant AT breakdowns in his 1 year old Scorpio.

If you wish to proceed with XUV 500 AT, then I would suggest following
  • Do not go blindly with the service record book of the vehicle
  • Take the vehicle to the local MASS and get all previous work records
  • Visits to M.A.S.S categorized as "Repairs" will not be logged in the service record book
  • If any of the AT parts are replaced under warranty, this would be your first red flag
  • If no repairs made for AT, then check for other non-AT related repairs on the vehicle, then you can conclude if it is a lemon vehicle like mine or not

Having said that, the response from M&M to replace my spares under warranty was very good. They ship their parts overnight and hardly take 4-5 days to fix any major parts. They also have follow up calls and ask you about the service and if you are satisfied or not. If you are not, then they would share the feedback with your MASS and the MASS would be hell bent to make it right and reach your expectations.

Best of luck with your purchase.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:48   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 95
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Voted for MG Hector 2.0 as I love their 10 inch HU and the powerful and reliable Fiat sourced engine. I myself considering a pre-worshipped Jeep Compass Diesel Limited Plus variant (just waiting for market read after lockdown).

I would strongly advise to stay away from Mahindra's AT's or AMT's. I am suffering from past 3 years with the TUV 300 AMT and my colleague is suffering from constant AT breakdowns in his 1 year old Scorpio.

If you wish to proceed with XUV 500 AT, then I would suggest following
  • Do not go blindly with the service record book of the vehicle
  • Take the vehicle to the local MASS and get all previous work records
  • Visits to M.A.S.S categorized as "Repairs" will not be logged in the service record book
  • If any of the AT parts are replaced under warranty, this would be your first red flag
  • If no repairs made for AT, then check for other non-AT related repairs on the vehicle, then you can conclude if it is a lemon vehicle like mine or not

Having said that, the response from M&M to replace my spares under warranty was very good. They ship their parts overnight and hardly take 4-5 days to fix any major parts. They also have follow up calls and ask you about the service and if you are satisfied or not. If you are not, then they would share the feedback with your MASS and the MASS would be hell bent to make it right and reach your expectations.

Best of luck with your purchase.
After a long brainstorming session along with friends and family, going for a brand new Hector is completely out of the window, considering the current scenario.

Thanks for your advice. However, I would like to share a small one for you too. I guess you aren't satisfied with the MASS for the Tuv300. Are you sure you want to go for a Pre Owned Compass where JEEP is even more dreaded when it comes to ASS.
07CR is offline  
Old 12th May 2020, 14:20   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 320
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
After a long brainstorming session along with friends and family, going for a brand new Hector is completely out of the window, considering the current scenario.

Thanks for your advice. However, I would like to share a small one for you too. I guess you aren't satisfied with the MASS for the Tuv 300. Are you sure you want to go for a Pre Owned Compass where JEEP is even more dreaded when it comes to ASS.
I guess you got it wrong, I was actually praising the M.A.S.S in my previous post, even though they knew they made a crappy product, they moved hell and earth for replacing spares in my AMT, the list of spare replaced is so long I even forgot (Actuator, Fly wheel kit are the ones I remember), the total spares would have costed me around 60,000 + Labor charges if the vehicle was not in warranty.

I was able to squeeze the below from M&M during my visits to their A.S.S
  • Donor vehicle - XUV 500 MT for 2 weeks when my TUV was resting in M.A.S.S
  • 3,000/- worth Diesel was put in the vehicle for my Uber bills of daily commute prior to sending the donor vehicle
  • Free 2 years extended warranty worth 15,500/-
  • 5,400/- bucks off on my next service as they charged me for clutch kit during one of my AMT issues as it was not covered in warranty
  • Around 5-6 free car washes (including interior polishing) every time it visited M.A.S.S for repairs (They also offered teflon coating which I declined)
  • Offered 1.3 lakhs of discount on new TUV 300 MT Refreshed model for exchange of my current vehicle (which I refused due to financial burden)

I do not expect same level of service from Jeep, However, I am more than confident on their A.S.S and their famous tried and tested 2.0 Diesel engine. The main reason for considering the Jeep is the 5* Global NCAP rating. Did I mention Jeep Compass has a total of 55 safety features?
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks