Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy under a 11 lakh budget?
Ford Figo 1.5 Titanium Blu 23 14.56%
Hyundai Venue 1.5 SX diesel 14 8.86%
Hyundai Creta E 1.5 diesel 15 9.49%
Tata Altroz 1.5 XZ(O) 19 12.03%
Tata Nexon 1.5 XM 23 14.56%
Retain the Ciaz 1.3 64 40.51%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 19:46   #31
BHPian

Re: A new diesel car under Rs. 11 lakhs?

As stated already, none of the options you've listed in your budget will be any sort of upgrade over your ciaz, be it in terms of comfort, ride quality, reliability.

My suggestion is to make some cosmetic upgrades, perhaps tinker around with some remaps and have fun for a while. Save up for some more time, increase the budget and look at the new city or Rapid.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:55   #32
BHPian

Voted to retain the Ciaz just for the reliable national engine it has. In my opinion, you can clock 2 lac kilometres on the Ciaz and in the meanwhile increase your budget and go for at least the mid variant of Crete Diesel so that the interiors doesn’t feel a downgrade from your current model of Ciaz.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:39   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs.

Meanwhile I test drove my friend's last gen creta 1.6. Though the NVH is good and the engine pulls nicely, I don't like the high seating (compared to sedans). I think I will have to go with a low seated car as I am well acquainted with that for the last 5 years. Makes sense why I don't like driving my storme v400 much.

I also happened to check two 2015 Jettas. One AT with 1.3 lakh km on the odo. Another is an MT with 70k km on the odo. Both the cars didn't click well with my gut feeling.

As everyone pointed out, I will retain the ciaz for a couple more years and think about upgrading in 2022. Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
First question that comes to mind: why do you want a diesel, when similar specced petrols cost less, the fuels are now similarly priced (and diesel will be more expensive in a few weeks than petrol), and petrol resale values will hold better in 5 years than diesel cars?
1. My usage is high. 3000-3600 km a month.

2. There is a 7 rupee difference per liter between petrol and diesel currently and that is not going to even out anytime soon.

3. Same car has an actual fuel efficiency difference of a solid 5kmpl between the turbo-petrol and turbo-diesel variants. That works out to be extra 2rs/km. My minimum usage would be 1 lakh km. The fuel expense works out to be 2 lakhs, which is way higher than the difference while buying.

4. I drive fast whenever the roads permit, turbo diesels don't have drastic impact on fuel efficiency with hard driving as much as turbo petrols do.

5. Atleast in my state, diesels still hold much higher resale vs petrols.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th June 2020 at 20:43.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
2. There is a 7 rupee difference per liter between petrol and diesel currently and that is not going to even out anytime soon.

5. Atleast in my state, diesels still hold much higher resale vs petrols.
Apologies... Didn't realise the price difference in TN, considering what the prices are in Delhi.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 01:38   #35
BHPian

Hi, you should have invested this money back in 2015 and bought yourself a better car than Ciaz. (Jetta or Octavia)

I don't find a point in selling the Ciaz now, because with the options you have listed out I'm sure you'll be in this same situation again after 3-4 years.

Therefore my suggestion is to hold on to the Ciaz for few more years. Meanwhile invest this money and buy a better car like GTO said, the next gen Octavia that won't bore you in few years.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted for retaining the Ciaz, as frankly speaking none of the options offer anything significantly better than the Ciaz. You will be moving in the same segment (even downgrading in some).

But if you have to purchase a new one, I will suggest a Ecosport Titanium variant. It's pretty well loaded and we all know about the engine and handling combination.
The titanium variant in my city ranges at about 11.7 L, which might come down to even 11.25L considering the current situation in the market.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:58   #37
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2020 at 08:37.
momsonlydriver is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th June 2020, 10:15   #38
BHPian

Why not the Nexon EV. You’re a perfect candidate. Independent house, multi car garage, and familiar with Tata, live in a city with no bumper to bumper traffic, keep your cars for long. A few lakhs more but you’ll easily recover it in the long run.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

I'm using the Tata Nexon for close to three years now and am happy with the car (have no plans of letting it go). XM is in your budget and ticks all boxes. The diesel engine is simply superb, but the BS6 version hasn't arrived at the dealer for a Test Drive. Once I take a TD, I'll know the performance

Last edited by Sebring : 30th June 2020 at 10:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks