Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2020, 07:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Safe car for office staff : Intercity travel with 100 kg cargo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyoner View Post
There would generally be 2-4 occupants and it will be self driven.
The load I mentioned would be ~100kg so for example 4 sacks - 25 kg each
So a Scorpio or Bolero with a rear loading gate should let you stack 4 sacks comfortably. A sedan or hatch might not have enough boot space for bulky sacks.

Worst comes to worst get a dual cab pickup truck if the loads get higher than 100 kg.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 07:44   #17
BHPian

Strictly under 10L, I think Nexon>Brezza>Ecosport>Bolero. These are all pretty safe cars with higher ground clearance and decent boot space for the load you're talking about.

Or, get a used TUV300 (talk to nearest dealer if they have any in stock to clear) which is a solid car too and use the remaining money for upkeep.
Old 18th August 2020, 07:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Strictly under 10L, I think Nexon>Brezza>Ecosport>Bolero. These are all pretty safe cars with higher ground clearance and decent boot space for the load you're talking about.

Or, get a used TUV300 (talk to nearest dealer if they have any in stock to clear) which is a solid car too and use the remaining money for upkeep.
You are not going to like the driving characteristics of those lighter vehicles if you stick a hundred kg of random stuff in the boot. I did a bangalore chennai drive once in an Amaze (which has rather larger boot capacity), with my boot and back seat crammed with personal valuables that thanks to a house move.

Let us say I did not quite enjoy the experience.
hserus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 07:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Worst comes to worst get a dual cab pickup truck if the loads get higher than 100 kg.
+1

Something rugged which can withstand abuse. Also keep a lookout for a used Innova, Fortuner, DMax. These will keep maintenance (premature suspension wear) costs in check.

For 4 adults + a healthy cargo payload, you can skip most pretend SUVs below 10L.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 18th August 2020 at 08:04.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 09:34   #20
BHPian

You need a car that can transport a few staff with 100kg of luggage, through bad roads; a staff car might be driven by multiple drivers with different driving styles. Basically, some sort of a beater car that is rugged, has good ground clearance and is abuse-friendly. Creature comforts and looks won't matter in such a use-case, I believe.

Like a few have suggested, I'd suggest to stay away from pseudo-SUVs like the Brezza, Venue, EcoSport, etc. Most of them are based on hatchback platforms and I don't think they are designed to haul a 100kg load in the boot without the rear sagging and the poor suspension working at its absolute limits.

Would recommend getting a proper body-on-frame UV that can handle a lot of abuse and is built tough. Basically, if buying new, I feel a Mahindra Bolero would suit your requirements. Tough, abuse-friendly, built for bad roads and that engine also has great low-end torque for effortless hauling. If you find the Bolero a bit too crude, a TUV would also be a good choice.

If you are open to buying used, I'd suggest looking for a well-maintained Innova (the original one, not the Crysta). That too is a body-on-frame with a torquey engine. Fold up the third row and you get a flat floor to load. Or even remove the third row seats altogether if you absolutely don't need them. As a bonus, you get great ride quality as well, which would ensure that the journey does not tire you out. And I don't think I need to comment on the reliability part; it is obvious.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 10:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Correct me in I'm wrong, but you're looking for a cheap, reliable, abuse friendly car for your staff. Fancy features are not really key. I'd mostly look for body-on-frame UVs as they can withstand loading.

Here are the options I'd consider in the order of preference:
1. Used Innova (previous gen)
2. Used Scorpio (if well maintained)
3. Used/New TUV 300/TUV 300 Plus
4. Mahindra Bolero
5. Used Lodgy

Mahindra have generally mastered UVs for the Indian conditions. They are abuse-friendly and pretty reliable. Maybe others in forum can advise on vehicles like the Tata Xenon.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 11:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safety is of the highest/first priority as they might have to frequently travel through unsafe routes. Good mileage is preferred. The budget we had in mind is 5-10L
If you are ok with a yellow board car, look no further than Isuzu S-Cab. Most dealers have registered their stock on dealer's name and selling it as 2nd owner cars. Check stock at your local dealer.

S-Cab should be around 10.5L on road. (2nd owner cars getting 1L discount). BS6 models expected next month.
blackwasp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 11:57   #23

After going through the suggestions, I see that half the people have recommended the nexon and similar, while the other other half have recommended Bolero or similar(We would consider the TUV300).

Nexon has got the NCAP safety rating going for it. As I mentioned, safety in case of accidents is of the highest priority to us, so thats a big plus.

But a lot of posts have said that for our usage, a body-on-frame car like Bolero/Tuv300/Innova would be better. I see that the TUV300 is the first car to follow indias safety guidelines, but it hasnt been tested by the NCAP.

Considering that safety is the first priority, would you still recommend Bolero and similar? how much stock should we give to the global NCAP rating? as in how does that convert to real life safety on the road?

as always, thanks for the help
Old 18th August 2020, 12:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But a lot of posts have said that for our usage, a body-on-frame car-like Bolero/Tuv300/Innova would be better. I see that the TUV300 is the first car to follow Indias safety guidelines, but it hasn't been tested by the NCAP.
Even though body-on-frame SUVs might be more rugged than Monocoques but do you want a car that has an uncomfortable ride? I've been to Ajanta & Ellora from Pune, which has a lot of bad roads in a TUV3OO (2018), and trusts me when I say this, the car doesn't have a comfortable ride anywhere except on butter-smooth highways, which are far & few in our country. There is vertical body roll to a great extent too.
Along with that, the engine (100HP) doesn't have much pulling power when fully loaded (5 People + Luggage).

Quote:
how much stock should we give to the global NCAP rating? as in how does that convert to real-life safety on the road?
Regarding the GLOBAL NCAP ratings, GNCAP tests cars on the basis of safety features and 64KM/H offset deformable barrier & side mobile barrier crash tests. In the real world, the tests are applicable but only to a certain extent. After all, real-life situations also include higher speeds, traffic and a whole host of other factors. However, a 5 star rated car like the Nexon has seen a lot of praise in actual accidents as well. So, as it seems, the car is actually very well-built.
Old 18th August 2020, 12:32   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

We had a similar requirement recently : 4-6 passengers, with boot space, in a small town that occasionally goes to various villages to conduct medical drives, etc.

I personally voted for the Ertiga, but the Renault Triber is what they ended up purchasing because the price difference was substantial.
Saw the car the other day - it did a 600km + drive to Mumbai, and will be returning soon & there have been no complaints at all.

The only concerns are the potential safety aspect - it seems well built, but one doesn't know how it will hold up in the case of an accident + service & reliability.
However, being a base trim, it should be fairly reliable. Service should be similar to the Duster which is also a very good choice for what it offers, but let down by service.

Ideally, if a sedan would do the job - I would recommend a pre-owned Toyota Etios (since new is discontinued). GC isn't the great, but I've never scraped it anywhere even with a full load of passengers & luggage (easily over a 100kgs). The boot is large, it is nimble, very reliable, and most importantly - safe.
Look for a low run example within warranty.

Next up, would be the Ertiga, S-Cross & EcoSport if you need an SUV.
I feel the EcoSport would be a safer choice from an accident perspective, but service back up of Maruti is unparalleled & the S-Cross is fairly well built - however only petrol variants available.
All of these cars should be able to handle a 100kg payload without much worries in my opinion, given they are designed for 5 passengers + luggage.

I'm sure Airport Taxi Etios & Ertigas do such fully loaded runs fairly often, maybe with more loads at times.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 13:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
We are looking to purchase a car for our office staff, they will be regularly travelling between cities to visit clients and may even have to carry about 100kg of product samples in sacks in some cases.

Safety is of the highest/first priority as they might have to frequently travel through unsafe routes. Good mileage is preferred. The budget we had in mind is 5-10L

Any suggestions are appreciated
I would easily suggest the nexon specially the XM variant. Its spacious, has good boot space, safety loaded plus the engine is good to drive. The updated design is muscular too. Mileage is also decent. With more highway drive you will easily get around 15-16 kmpl for a petrol nexon. And its easily available under 10 lacs. Those suggesting Bolero , IMO its not comofrtable to drive as such the nexon.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 13:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that safety is the first priority, would you still recommend Bolero and similar? how much stock should we give to the global NCAP rating? as in how does that convert to real life safety on the road?
If I have to stick under 10L and safety is topmost priority, Nexon looks best to me. Apart from NCAP 5 start rating, we have so many examples to prove that NCAP rating right, on our 'Accidents' thread. Base/mid model diesel manual is reasonably priced too. Along with that, GC and space is good. That tough and stiff suspension should take care of that 100 kg weight in boot. And overall the car is reliable enough.

I really don't think you 'need' a Bolero for your purpose, which is basically a weight hauler. Its a bit crude and not that comfortable suspension wise. Only if one has to transport a lot of weight in rural areas, Bolero is suited.
Old 19th August 2020, 10:50   #28

Re: Safe car for office staff : Intercity travel with 100 kg cargo?

I think a Nexon would easily solve your purpose. The car is solidly built, great engine, comfortable for long journeys, etc.
I previously had a 2nd gen Swift performing the same jobs of hauling small machinery (concrete vibrators, concrete breakers, etc.) and people over the non-existent rural roads in the Northern part of our country. The only problem it faced was that it scrapped it’s belly a lot, other than that the car performed it’s duties more than sufficiently.
So, a Nexon can easily suit your requirements.
Old 19th August 2020, 11:54   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I know someone who had a requirement similar to yours although they had a tighter budget. They wanted a spacious car for 5 employees and a good boot to carry 50-100kgs worth of agro equipment. They ended up getting a used Xylo. The post 2014 cars have a better ride quality and the space inside the xylo is terrific. They were looking for an Innova but the prices were too high and honestly the bad resale of the xylo made a good case for them. Stay away from these crossovers based on hatchbacks, you will end up spending a lot on the upkeep. A ladder on frame is the best for the given scenario.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 12:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

While a lot of people are suggesting SUVish vehicles, do keep in mind that the FE for these would be significantly lower than an Etios type of a vehicle. For a vehicle with expected high running, this may become a significant cost to factor in. Etios has excellent interior space and bullet proof reliability. I do not think that any other product in that price segment can match its reliability and abuse friendly nature. I would pick that over anything else for office use.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks