Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 12:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Safe car for office staff : Intercity travel with 100 kg cargo?

Surprised that with your requirements cars like the Nexon and Brezza are being recommended.

My friend had a similar dilemma for his factory (post covid options hamstrung his staff, and factory is located 70 kms from Chennai), and he picked up 2 cars,

1) A second hand Mahindra Imperio which a factory next to him was disposing and

2) Izusu S Cab

I have sat in the S Cab and it is pretty top notch (for its role). A whopping 220 mm of GC (Fortuner is at 225 mm for comparision, Nexon comes in at 210), decently torquey engine pushing out 85 horses, and is an Izusu, so built for abuse and rough roads and has a longer wheelbase than the mighty Fortuner or Endevour.

Close your eyes and go for one of these. Pricing also would be in your or slightly more than your budget.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 12:38   #32
BHPian

I'd suggest bolero camper. Abuse friendly, D+ 4 configuration, AC in the Gold variant plus a 5ft * 5ft loading bay plus added convenience of spares availability.

You can get it within 10L OTR.
Manoj2268 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 13:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga CNG looks good, can carry 7 people in comfort and carry load when required.With CNG running costs will be very low.
Old 19th August 2020, 14:14   #34
BHPian

I think a car from the cab segment should be preferred for this type of commercial usage. Hence a Bolero or a used Innova Crysta 2.4 Litre Manual Transmission that has run within 1.5 to 2 lakh KM or a previous generation diesel Innova with less than 2 Lakhs on the ODO would be a great option. Depending on number of people to carry, Etios would also be an option provided you can forego the high GC of the others.
Old 19th August 2020, 14:25   #35
BHPian

If you all are comfortable with the ride of a Bolero/TUV300, then you can go with it.

If there isn't a need for a proper rough car like the Bolero/TUV300, like other BHPians have suggested I would suggest you to go with the Nexon. A super looking car with proven reliability and falls into the required budget.

If you could, I suggest to take a TD in Nexon with the Staffs + 100kg material loaded. This would help you to seal the deal.
Old 19th August 2020, 16:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
If you could, I suggest to take a TD in Nexon with the Staffs + 100kg material loaded. This would help you to seal the deal.
Nexon / Ecosport etc will carry it. It will also end up with the suspension done to death in very short order. If you want to carry loads just use something that has load carrying capacity, not a passenger sedan whose usual load is two or three small suitcases.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 10:48   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion would be to go for a used Toyota Innova ; it ticks all your requirements of space, reliability, comfort, is safe(try getting one with dual airbags), carrying heavy loads and has reasonable service costs. The car will easily run for the next 5-10 years with proper maintenance. Toyota’s are for most part rattle-free and you can’t beat the ladder-on-frame’s tough build which can take a lot of abuse without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd August 2020 at 10:56.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:43   #38
BHPian

For your needs, cars like Nexon, Ecosport, Brezza, Etios (Seriously? &#128514 shouldn't even be dreamt about. I won't go into the reasons since it has already been mentioned before.

The actual deal you need (in descending order of priority) are -
1. Mahindra Bolero (New/Used) : Even the top variant fits into your budget.
2. Mahindra Scorpio (Used).
3. Mahindra TUV 300 (Used, or may wait for new BS6)
4. Isuzu D-Max (Used).
5. Mahindra Bolero Camper (New).
6. Innova (Used)

I would always recommend you to get a BRAND NEW car in this case. This is mainly because finding an un-abused car in this category is very difficult. Most cars do not even see the face of the ASS after the first 1 or 2 free services. So condition is questionable to say the very least.
Especially, finding a good Innova or Scorpio would be difficult (within your budget).

But if you find an almost new car in fairly good condition, definitely go for it.
A.M. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:45   #39
BHPian

I will simply stick to the body-on-frame vehicles due to the load carrying need and bad roads. I will suggest the following:
1. If expected running is high and intention is to keep vehicle for long term, getting a new Bolero would be my choice. One gets the mandated safety features, a BS6 engine a factory warranty and 15 years of lifespan. The only con would be fitting 4 tall people together and maybe the occasional niggle.
2. If vehicle is intended to be kept for a short duration independent of running, an used Innova (if I recall correctly, preferably the V and Z variants which had airbags and ABS) would be great. However you would not get any model which is less than 4-5 years old and we never know when there will be a blanket ban on 10 year old diesels rendering these as scrap items.

However I would not prefer:
1. Pickups: I just searched the Mahindra site to be sure, but there seems to be no version of the Camper or Maxi with ABS/airbags. For inter-city running, I would preferably not risk that. Also unless I would be very sure about getting spares and support from Isuzu at odd hours, I would not go with them, although they are very fine vehicles, much better than anything in the segment now.
2. Used Sumo/Bolero/Innova (lower variants): I have the same reason as above. Although if I had to choose between these, I would choose the Sumo over other two due to sheer space compared to others. Being a Tata, you can find spares as easily as the other two.
3. Used Innova Crysta: Considering the high prices of used Innovas, I would be very wary of any used Crysta which is being sold at a 6-digit price, unless I know the owner/driver very well or have gone through the vehicle with a fine-toothed comb. Even old Toyotas with high mileage somehow seem to escape depreciation despite the 10 year old ban in NCR.
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:10   #40
BHPian

I am guessing you will go with a new car, as this is for office use and may want to claim depreciation during financial year end tax submissions. I would suggest below
  • Scorpio - Base Variant
  • XUV 500 - Base Variant
  • Bolero

If you are ok with used vehicles, the above list plus below
  • TUV 300
  • Honda BRV
  • Honda Mobilio
  • Creta
  • Innova

You can find a decent TUV for around 5-6 lakhs. This one looks decent

Link

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 23rd August 2020 at 13:12.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:22   #41
BHPian

If you need a work horse which would be used(maybe abused) by office staff only, then may I suggest,
1. Maruti Eeco - Cheap and efficient, usually used by small businesses to transport employees.
2. Mahindra Bolero - Transport 4 people and 100 kgs of payload
3. Mahindra Camper/Imperio Double Cab - Comfortably transport people and be ready for increased payload, if your business grows faster than you anticipate.
4. Isuzu D-Max S-Cab - If you're looking at a more premium option compared to Mahindra Camper.
Sonubbsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:17   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonubbsr View Post
If you need a work horse which would be used(maybe abused) by office staff only, then may I suggest,
1. Maruti Eeco - Cheap and efficient, usually used by small businesses to transport employees.
OP wants a "safe" work horse I don't think the Eeco fits the bill!
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:18   #43
BHPian

Cheapest and best option for you would be a used Tata xenon. Proper body on frame, can seat 5, useful loading bay, high ground clearance, 140 bhp engine, and two airbags, ac, power steering etc. Should be available under 4 lakhs
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Cheapest and best option for you would be a used Tata xenon. Proper body on frame, can seat 5, useful loading bay, high ground clearance, 140 bhp engine, and two airbags, ac, power steering etc. Should be available under 4 lakhs
Needs a yellow board and a commercial vehicle license
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyoner View Post
We are looking to purchase a car for our office staff, they will be regularly travelling between cities to visit clients and may even have to carry about 100kg of product samples in sacks in some cases.

Safety is of the highest/first priority as they might have to frequently travel through unsafe routes. Good mileage is preferred. The budget we had in mind is 5-10L

Any suggestions are appreciated

Buy new Ertiga and throw the third row seats or keep it in folded position. Comfortable 4 seater with enough space to put 100kg with decent safety kit may be an option to think of.
vvvinod is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks