Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 09:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

VFM, safe car with good GC for 10-lakhs OTR

Hi Guys,

After having owned multiple used cars, I am finally deciding on buying a new car. I test drove a lot of cars over the weekend mostly from the Hyundai and Kia family but realized that my requirements are wierd from today's car configuration world and that I need to buy the highest variant even if I dont need a lot of features from the car.

So my requirements are below, can anyone please suggest what should be my approach

My mandatory requirements
  1. 6 Airbags + EBD + ABS + ESP (complete safety pack)
  2. 200+ mm GC
  3. Android auto
  4. Minimum 100 HP
  5. Mileage of minimum 10 kmpl in city
  6. Strong AC
  7. Driver arm rest
  8. Budget - Ideally 10 lakhs OTR after discounts (I can stretch but dont want to, as my running is 4000 - 5000 km per year maximum)

After test drives, I have found that only 15 lakh cars can meet all my requirements with random features like Mood Lighting and wireless charger. Also I have realized that adjustable head rests are a feature now, which comes in top variants only!!

Am I asking for too much? Has the used car purchase pattern spoilt me forever?

P.S. - Not planning to exchange the Polo. Would like to keep both cars, as the value of the polo will be very low and the happiness that car brings is probably more than the resale value it will fetch.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 26th October 2020 at 09:37.
2000rpm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:06   #2
BHPian

re: VFM, safe car with good GC for 10-lakhs OTR

Not sure if any new cars will fit your criteria. You could explore older models of premium cars. Few suggestions for the same:
1. Fortuner (old model)
2. Endeavor (old model)
3. Ecosport
4. Hexa
5. XUV 500
Some used cars like the Hexa might be available with a company warranty till 2022-23.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 26th October 2020 at 10:08.
Cessna182 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi Guys,

After having owned multiple used cars, I am finally deciding on buying a new car. I test drove a lot of cars over the weekend mostly from the Hyundai and Kia family but realized that my requirements are wierd from today's car configuration world and that I need to buy the highest variant even if I dont need a lot of features from the car.
The Nexon xz petrol fits all your requirements except the 6 airbags and the driver armrest. The driver armrest is only available in the next xz plus variant I think.

MOD NOTE : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 27th October 2020 at 10:10. Reason: Mod note attached.
aansh singhania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well I can think of only 1 "new" car which fits most of your criteria. The Tata Nexon XZ petrol.

1. Even though it has only 2 airbags, it is rated 5 star by the GNCAP so I don't think you will miss those additional 4 airbags which other cars in its class may provide but will be less safe. Also the Nexon comes with all the active safety aids like traction control, ESP, rollover mitigation, brake disc wiping etc.

2. The Nexon also has a ground clearance of 209 mm.

3. The facelifted model has Android Auto and connected car features.

4. The petrol variant which suits your requirements has 120 bhp.

5. Not sure about city mileage but 10 kmpl should be achievable IMO.

6. All Tata cars have strong ACs. Maybe Nexon owners can chip in on this.

7. Nexon does not come with a factory fitted driver armrest but there are a few DIY threads here on the forum where members of other cars have fitted armrest themselves. So you can check them out.

8. The XZ variant of the Nexon petrol is coming to around 10.30 lakh in Mumbai where you stay while the XZ plus variant is around a lakh more. So you can check for discounts which should be there during the year end.

Hope this helps. And as far as used cars are concerned then there are a lot of options available as suggested by Cessna.
ram87pune is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Well I can think of only 1 "new" car which fits most of your criteria. The Tata Nexon XZ petrol.

1. Even though it has only 2 airbags, it is rated 5 star by the GNCAP so I don't think you will miss those additional 4 airbags which other cars in its class may provide but will be less safe. Also the Nexon comes with all the active safety aids like traction control, ESP, rollover mitigation, brake disc wiping etc.
I had thought about the Nexon, but dont agree with the statement above, that since the car is 5 star safety rated, its as good as a car with 6 airbags. i may be wrong, but others who understand the safety ratings better may be able to throw some light on this.

Also, I think the 5 star rating may be with the six airbag version, No?

Nexon is on my list, definitely!
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 11:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had thought about the Nexon, but dont agree with the statement above, that since the car is 5 star safety rated, its as good as a car with 6 airbags. i may be wrong, but others who understand the safety ratings better may be able to throw some light on this.

Also, I think the 5 star rating may be with the six airbag version, No?

Nexon is on my list, definitely!
The Nexon does not get 6 airbags on any variant so it is 5 star rated even with 2 airbags.

And the structure of a car is the first point of impact in case of a crash, the airbags are supplementary. What that means is that if the car has an unstable/unsafe structure it will not provide enough safety to its occupants even if it has a zillion airbags.

So what I meant by my statement was that the Nexon with 2 airbags and 5 star rating will be anyday a safer car than let us say a 3 star or 4 star car with 6 airbags.
ram87pune is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 11:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Hi,

I guess only cars as per your requirements with respect to safety (6 airbags) are Ford Figo and Aspire, with a strict budget. They are well built, with good engines and pocket friendly service. Only the 200 GC would not be as per your requirements. For the desired GC you will have to stretch your budget.

I am considering the 6 Airbags (Complete safety pack) the most important requirement.

You will have to enlist 'Must Have' features and 'Nice to have' features, and aftermarket upgradable features to come to a conclusion.

Regards.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th October 2020 at 10:11. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So my requirements are below, can anyone please suggest what should be my approach

Assuming you want a manual, one car I can think of is Ford Freestyle. It has 6 airbags(with ABS+EBD,ESP,HHA etc), 190mm GC, decent build quality, 92hp motor(slightly less than your expectation), adjustable headrests both front and rear. You save a solid 1.5-2L for titanium plus Ti-VCT. With saved money you can easily get an after market AA infotainment and armrest.

Sadly 10L these days is equivalent to 5-6L from 2010 when it comes to cars. You get grand i10 or swift top models for around 9L+. Compared to those Freestyle is a safer car.

Rest even CSUVs also will struggle to give you 10kmpl in Mumbai traffic (assuming you will be driving there going by your location).

Happy shopping

Last edited by Sheel : 27th October 2020 at 10:12. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
SoumenD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 12:09   #9
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
The Nexon does not get 6 airbags on any variant so it is 5 star rated even with 2 airbags.
Add to that the safety features and the drive modes being available in the base model itself. If safety is the prime concern, one cannot get more VFM than that, starting at 7 Lac Ex-Showroom.

XZ will cover everything else on his list of requirements.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 12:18   #10

Quote:

2. 200+ mm GC
  3. Android auto
  4. Minimum 100 HP
  6. Strong AC
  7. Driver arm rest
  8. Budget - Ideally 10 lakhs OTR after discounts (I can stretch but dont want to, as my running is 4000 - 5000 km per year maximum)
Hi,

I'd suggest taking a look at the Ford Freestyle. Titanium Plus variants get 6 airbags. This is the only car that meets virtually every one of your stipulated requirements. Well, except on three fronts:
2. 200+ mm GC4 - Only 190mm on this one, unfortunately.
4. Minimum 100 HP - The Freestyle develops between 98-99HP depending on whether you go with petrol or diesel.
7. Driver arm rest - It doesn't get one, but you can get an aftermarket version installed fairly easily.
This aside, it is a fairly good vehicle, as the Team-BHP review notes (Ford Freestyle 1.2L Petrol : Official Review).

The Nexon, as others have pointed out, is a very good option because of its safety. Depending on where you live, getting a nicely kitted Nexon will easily exceed the 10 lakh mark. Given that, I'd also suggest taking a look at the Kia Sonet. Judging by your initial post, maybe you've already considered this one! I think that the 1.5 litre diesel engine option offers a good balance of power and economy. Granted, if you go for a properly fitted variant (HTK+ for example) you would cross the 10 lakhs budget by 15-20% (depending on where you live, of course), but it is, all things considered, a very nicely-kitted car. Also, you get 6 airbags AND a driver arm rest!
Invariance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 12:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invariance View Post
Hi,
Given that, I'd also suggest taking a look at the Kia Sonet. Judging by your initial post, maybe you've already considered this one! I think that the 1.5 litre diesel engine option offers a good balance of power and economy.
This thread is prompted by my visit to the Kia showroom. The Sonet with 6 airbags is the GT Line, which is 14.5 on road in Mumbai!

The car has all the bells and whistles I liked. But 15 lakhs is too much for a small SUV with poor after sales network.

I think Nexon and Freestyle are the only two cars which are emerging as winners. Ecosport??
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 13:20   #12

Quote:
...The Sonet with 6 airbags is the GT Line, which is 14.5 on road in Mumbai!
Yikes, that's quite a premium ! My bad, I was under the impression that the HTK Plus line also gets the 6 airbags.

Quote:
I think Nexon and Freestyle are the only two cars which are emerging as winners. Ecosport??
The Titanium+ and above variants of the EcoSport get 6 airbags, but the pricing again wanders into the 14 lakhs territory. You can get a decently-kitted Nexon for about 12 lakhs, and that is a far better vehicle (IMO) with a 5-star NCAP rating. However, the Freestyle is the only choice that meets airbags + budget requirement.
Old 26th October 2020, 13:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
This thread is prompted by my visit to the Kia showroom. The Sonet with 6 airbags is the GT Line, which is 14.5 on road in Mumbai!

The car has all the bells and whistles I liked. But 15 lakhs is too much for a small SUV with poor after sales network.

Ecosport won't fullfill any of the needs you have mentioned above. Nexon and freestyle are the only options in my opinion, if you want to buy "new".
aansh singhania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 14:00   #14
BHPian

Nexon XZ+ Petrol manual should come within 11 lac in Mumbai.

Covers all the features excluding the extra 4 airbags. The Nexon facelift definitely has more butch presence compared to its rivals. Best looker too. One can say the rear looks tacky but now the Sonet takes the cake with an MPVish looking rear.

Reliability and spares availability too shouldn't be an issue considering the numbers the Nexon does and the duration it has been in production.

I personally would never trust Hyundai-Kia until they're cleared off the brake fiasco on this forum. Myself was considering previous gen Creta last December when the BS4 fire sale was on. Around the same time the brake issues thread popped up and I completely ditched the prospect. And Nexon is proven safe, be it the crash test ratings or the regular crashes that are reported with all occupants coming out scratch free.

On the used car front, you could look at an Ecosport or a XM+ or XT Hexa.

Last edited by TROOPER : 26th October 2020 at 14:06.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 15:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
  2. 200+ mm GC
  3. Android auto
  4. Minimum 100 HP
  6. Strong AC
  7. Driver arm rest
Am I asking for too much? Has the used car purchase pattern spoilt me forever?
I must admit that you are asking slightly too much for the price. The Nexon XZ is your best bet. But it lacks 4 airbags and driver arm rest. The driver arm rest is easily available as an accessory but 4 airbags aren't. The main point though is Nexon's or I should say Tata motors proven safety. You may check the Team BHP safety section. The build and structural strength is more important than the airbag count so I will ask you to take in mind the 5 Star GNCAP rating and not the 2 airbags. All other requirements are fulfilled.

Regards

Pranav
chiefpk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed