Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 11:49   #31
BHPian

Re: CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
I am looking to buy a petrol automatic car for my father who is 71 years old and lives at Bhilwara (town in Rajasthan, close to Udaipur).
I would recommend you City as 1st option, followed by Jazz. If buying Jazz, go for the top end variant. The base variant of City packs a punch, so opting for that is not bad at all.
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:05   #32
BHPian

Jazz ZX CVT.

Was in the same situation this September. A new car was in need for my FIL. He is 63 now and was driving a 2008 City. Test drove almost everything and finally settled on the Jazz Zx CVT. He finds it more comfortable in the Chennai city and loves the drive.

IMHO, Nothing beats the practicality and the airy cabin of Jazz including the new age CSUV’s. Your dad will love it.

Last edited by saisree : 18th December 2020 at 12:07.
saisree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Checked out Brezza and the interior quality was way to inferior compared to S-cross. I believe I have now checked out all the cars possible in Bhilwara (barring Ford/VW/Skoda whose dealership is not present in Bhilwara and Hyundai/Kia/Tata which I don't want to buy for reliability/waiting issues). So here is the list of final contenders:

1. S-Cross Zeta TC: Excellent built and interior quality, ready availability but poor 4 speed TC gearbox (12.90 lakhs)

2. Jazz VX CVT: Fits the bill perfectly except the factor that 4 meter seems like a downgrade (10.45 lakhs)

3. Yaris G Opt CVT: Fits the bill (almost) except poor selling model, unknown future and price is closer to City V CVT (13.30 lakhs)

4. City V CVT: Most recommended and segment leader with only issue of ground clearance. Somehow seems like an overkill (14.25 lakhs)

Good part is that either of the above car would be a safe choice. Got to make a decision in couple of days and close this chapter
manish84 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I think deep down my father values only sedan to be a true car (car should look like a car = sedan).
I wonder why nobody is suggesting the Amaze. You will get a fully loaded diesel CVT sedan for around 11 lacs. It’s a much better car to drive than both Yaris & Jazz. You even get the economy of a diesel. Plus it will be easier to park than Yaris. And it’s safety rating is good too.
Aakash118 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got to make a decision in couple of days and close this chapter
Thanks for confirming, had expected the same from the Brezza.
Since you mentioned that the City was an overkill, I guess your decision is between the S-Cross and the Jazz. Let your Dad decide now, he is the one who will be driving anyway and both cars are good.

Why do I have a feeling that it will be the S-Cross.
Good Luck

Last edited by shancz : 18th December 2020 at 12:50. Reason: guess
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 12:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
I wonder why nobody is suggesting the Amaze.
I feel Amaze is poorly built and feels cramped once inside. Also no one in my family like the looks of Amaze. If I am not wrong, all contenders (Jazz/Yaris/S-cross/City) are sold internationally and hence they are matured/trustworthy.
manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
1. S-Cross Zeta TC: Excellent built and interior quality, ready availability but poor 4 speed TC gearbox (12.90 lakhs)
Hello Manish,
I have gone through your posts and understand the way you are leaning towards the S-cross. We own a 2019 Alpha S-cross. My father is 70 years Old with a slight back issue and his daily driver is Tiago XZA. But, I too, while picking the Scross, factored my Dad's comfort in the Scross before buying. Let me list down the clear benefits to just reassure you. Since, mine is a diesel I'll leave out the Engine-Gearbox bit.

Positives:
1. Solid Build quality that you'll immediately notice and appreciate.
2. The rear seat is a bit higher than front seats and the seating posture is very good for Seniors (considering your dad might sit behind when driven around). Front seats are perfect. No complaint there.
3. Very very spacious. Can't emphasize this enough.
4. Decent features. Nothing great but enough.
5. Driving manners are very good. Feels planted and solid at highway speeds.
6. Maruti reliability. Since, it's important in your town.
7. Since your Dad had a Dzire previously, the learning curve would be very easy.
8. Zeta is the perfect variant as it's absolutely VFM. I would have picked the same but Alpha had mouth watering discounts. And it's always better to pick top 2 variants in Maruti as they are decently equipped wrt competition.

Negatives:
1. Some rattles here and there. Nothing you can't live with.
2. Some parts are from lower segments. Eg. Steering, HVAC controls, etc
3. The stock tyres are noisy. We have the JK UX Royale. Upgrade it and problem solved.
4. The boot space is less but the shape is very practical. It is less when you compare it with sedans.

Hope I helped. All the best buddy!
DieselAnna is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

My choice will be Magnite 1.0 CVT
  • Easy ingress egress
  • Safety loaded XL trim
  • Good mileage
  • Compact size
  • Fresh design
  • VFM
Cheers!
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 15:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
4. Negative list of brands - Maruti (poor crash ratings, used Maruti for 11 years) or Kia/Hyundai (don’t trust the brand, brake failure incidents) or Tata (can’t bother father with frequent visits to service station for niggles)
Quote:
But frankly, my yardstick is to buy a hassle free car which seems like a value proposition. Any suggestions on the following lines would be very helpful:

1. Any other models which I have missed out?
Hi Manish,
Like many have already suggested, I too would request you to reconsider the Brezza/UC or S cross.

Unlike other cars from Maruti, they are better build and fulfills your criteria of good crash ratings. (4* GNCAP rating for Brezza)

Brezza/UC/S cross makes good sense, especially for elderly people, since it provides easy ingress and egress, good ground clearance, good view from driver seat, easy
maneuverability and parking, given Brezza and UC are sub 4m vehicles.(S cross with 4.3m)

And being a product from Maruti stable, no much worries related to spares, service quality and service network.

The engine and auto transmission may not be the best in the segment, but are decent, smooth and gets the work done.

If you feel Brezza to be too common on our roads and if some uniqueness is needed, you can check out Urban cruiser. Or the S cross, if you need a bit more spacious cabin and better interior looks.

My in-laws own a S cross (zeta diesel) from 2016 and it is still going strong.
And I personally had used it for 3-4 months and it felt comfortable, spacious and good to drive both in city and highways.
So now with petrol engine and auto transmission, the drive will be more smoother and easier.

So please test drive all the cars in your shortlist, along with your father if possible, before deciding.

All the best for the new car hunt.

Regards,
Chandan

Last edited by DLC5005 : 18th December 2020 at 15:47. Reason: Typo
DLC5005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 16:16   #40
BHPian

S cross is a car designed for European markets. Hence it is unlike any other maruti on sale. I would have wholeheartedly recommended it if only it came with a modern auto gearbox. 4 speed auto gearbox at that price doesn't make sense. If you are ok with manual, then this is the car to buy.

Yaris is quite a boring car even to senior citizens. If budget is not a concern, honda city in petrol cvt form should be the sedan of choice. The seats are extremely comfortable but again ingress and agress are not the easiest.

If you are not ok with manual, and want very easy ingress/egress, then jazz is the best car. Although the engine is not exciting, it is not underpowered either. Everything else about the Jazz is very good.

Anyways, congratulations in advance for your purchase.
DonHyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 17:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think with your requirements, Jazz is the best option. Tried and tested model, many owners here swear by it's reliability and love the fuss free ownership. Your dad needs something that is very reliable and Jazz ticks that box perfectly. The AT would be a very good option to go with.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 18:20   #42
BHPian

Haven't read all replies. My vote will be for Yaris J if it still comes with 7 airbags. That single reason is enough for me to consider it over Jazz. Being a Yaris owner for 2 yrs now, Its niggle free, very comfortable to drive and ride is mature. By what I read in Yaris WhatsApp group the normal service cost are miniscule and surprises me. Toyota also offers 7 yrs extended warranty if I am not wrong.

Edit: Just saw that J does not come with 7 airbags now. BTW Yaris and new city, New city wins hands down.

Last edited by drsnt : 18th December 2020 at 18:23. Reason: additional information
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 18:34   #43
BHPian

I would recommend the Jazz CVT. It would be suitable for your Dad's driving style and has the spacious feel of a sedan. We have a 2015 Jazz CVT and the car is a breeze to drive in the infamous Bengaluru traffic.
Zen Av8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 21:16   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not a pre-owned Corolla Altis 1.8 AT? It's a proper 3 boxer and you get nice 2017 samples for sub-10 lakh budget.

Interior quality, space and ride are all better than any of the options you have mentioned.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 21:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy a petrol automatic car for my father who is 71 years old

2. Build type is not a constraint - Sedan or CSUV or premium hatchback
Quote:

Agree with both the observations, but there is one additional factor to be considered which I haven't mentioned in the post. I think deep down my father values only sedan to be a true car (car should look like a car = sedan). Being a senior govt. employee throughout this life, he has had chauffeur driven sedans and Ambys. I know this is not rational, but then if he is the end user, I want to keep this in mind also.
I would recommend the Honda City ! why ? because of the following :

1. You have stated that your dad is a sedan man. He is 71 too. This might be one of the last car ownership he will experience before he stops driving. Let him enjoy the sedan experience. I have seen similar folks too driving ambassadors and sedans though peak traffic, with nothing but a smile on their face. They are not in a hurry. They are in retirement having lived their lives to the fullest and enjoying the retirement now on their own pace.

2. The Honda city is a more global product and the V (Starting model) CVT offering all the safety and driving aids (Hill hold, EBD, ABS etc)(airbags on V =4, ZX =6)

3. The S cross might be the more practical option. But it wont be complete for him. In his heart he will always long for that sedan. Why deprive the man of his true automobile joy. In life everything need not be decided from the head, sometimes the heart can play an important role too !
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks