Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I buy based on my requirements?
Honda City 200 62.31%
Kia Seltos 34 10.59%
Hyundai Creta 23 7.17%
Something else 64 19.94%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 21:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a Tata Zest - City or Creta or Seltos?

Telling you from my own experience (though probably by now you would have realized already), there is no car that perfectly suits all your needs. There are compromises to be made, and it depends on which one you are ok to compromise on with a heavy heart.

Engines are similar, for most uses, unless you really want to try the limits of each engine.

Features are surely a strong lure - the more the better. But in my opinion most of these are only good to have, not deal breakers.

Safety, Space, joy of driving (subjective- only a test drive will tell you. And your feel is all that is important. Do not go by reviews), seat comfort, long term reliability are he things that are going to give you a ownership experience that actually matters.

I never thought I would buy a Honda city cvt, but that is what I am doing. It's just a matter of what clicks. All vehicles are good, as long as it strikes your heart strings.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 21:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

While I'm no expert at selecting cars, I would strongly recommend the new Honda City in your case. It matches all of the criteria you stated. I shall address them one by one.
  • Since I see safety is first on your list, this is all the more reason to stay away from the Seltos (and possibly the Creta) which scored a rather average crash test rating. While I cannot comment on the safety rating of the Indian Honda City, Honda's history suggests that it has a good chance of scoring well (Keep in mind that even their worst rated car in India, the Mobilio, maintained its structure in the crash test, though they inexplicably removed airbags from the base variant). However, I shall not make any assumptions regarding the rating. Nevertheless, Honda has upped the game significantly. 4 airbags are standard from the base model and upward, but since you wish to have 6 (a good decision indeed), the VX and ZX variants would match your criteria. ESC+Traction control, Hill Start Assist and Stability Management are standard on the new City, and so are the 3-point seatbelt and head restraint for the fifth occupant (keep in mind that they're not adjustable, though). The Seltos and Creta also have 6 airbags and hill-hold on their respective top-end variants, but some other features are missing. It is worth noting that the Seltos has three adjustable headrests in the rear, though.
  • Regarding your next requirement, space has always been a USP of the Honda City. The boot is sufficiently large and so is the backseat. Since you have a family of three, ISOFIX is standard on the new City, should it be required.
  • Addressing your next concern, long-term reliability has been Honda's forte for decades. While I was disappointed with some their products around 2013-14, they seem to have caught up in the last few years. Either way, there's not much that could go wrong with a proven 4-cylinder normally aspirated engine and a CVT (although nothing can be guaranteed in this regard).
  • Regarding the budget, the VX variant is very well-equipped (I'm not sure of the on-road prices in your region). If you can stretch for the ZX, you'll get a few creature comforts like leather seats, a passenger-side lane view camera, LED headlamps, chrome exterior handles and a few other minor upgrades. The VX variant seems to be a sensible buy, though.
Again, this is my personal opinion. This post may seem overly biased towards the City, but that's because I feel it suits the requirements you mentioned. The others you've mentioned are good cars too, so be sure to test drive them before making a decision. Choose the car that best suits your requirements.
Good luck with your purchase.

EDIT: I forgot to address the fact that you have long-range driving to do. While the Honda City is quite fuel-efficient, you might want to consider a diesel (make an informed decision, though; diesel passenger vehicles are slowly but surely dying). The Seltos, Creta and Harrier seem to have good diesel+automatic options.

Last edited by ron178 : 21st December 2020 at 21:43. Reason: Forgot to address long-range driving.
ron178 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:53   #48
BHPian

Was in the same boat as you but the choice was simpler as I wanted a Diesel. Was only considering the top variants as having 6 Airbags was mandatory for me.

Had driven a very new (4000 kms on the odd) 4th Generation City (through Zoomcar) on one of my recent vacations. While I found it adequate for city drive, it didn't give me the kind of performance I was looking for on the highways (talking about the diesel variant here). Didn't help that wife didn't even want to accompany me for its test drive.

Seltos was the top runner as I wasn't impressed by the looks of the Creta. That was until I saw it in person, the looks grows on you with time. After back to back test drives of the Seltos and Creta, I zeroed in on the Creta. Have booked it this week and waiting for the car to be allotted now.
TechLiveMANA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Unless you live in a place with horrible roads or regularly travel to a farmhouse on a dirt trail, I see no reason why Honda City's GC should be a concern. Do take a long test drive though.

Owners I know have been largely satisfied with the 4th gen City's GC compared to the 3rd gen or 2nd gen models. (I hope Honda hasn't significantly softened the suspension)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
1. 5th Gen Honda City ZX CVT
Pros:
a. Meets all my criteria except all wheel disc brakes.
Rear disc brakes are nice to have, but unlikely that is a deal-breaker in a mass-market car like the City unless you plan to come tearing down ghat sections.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd December 2020 at 07:34.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Voted for the City….
Thanks coolmel. Yes, the new interior looks clean and neutral. The 4th gen interior was good too and looked sporty, except for the touch AC controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
- Buy the biggest, roomiest vehicle for the money - you get to keep it for longer.
- Buy into brands that are going to stay in India, has good dealership network, models that sell reasonably well to secure future serviceability.
Thanks Kosfactor. Agree with all your points but these 2 are most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Before that, I see you are discounting Harrier type cars stating space is a problem which I am unable to fully understand, because, I would think the most suggested car Honda City will be almost equal in dimension except for the height when compared to a Harrier - roughly 10-15 cms longer and 7-8 cms wider. Does this make a difference?
Swami
Thanks swami69. My parking spot is a corner one with a compound wall on one side and 2 pillars on the other. On the front side is another compound wall about 10 feet from my spot. So turning the car without scrapping requires some skill. Harrier/Seltos/Creta are wider than City though City is lengthier. There is a possibility of scrapping the rear left door or rear wheel arc or right corner boot. Height is not a problem. Hence the car that fits in parking comfortably gets the 1st preference. Innova is a great option; I love that car and I would have definitely considered it if I had the flexibility of parking space and budget too as I am looking for AT options only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
there is no car that perfectly suits all your needs….
Thanks Nav-i-gator. Yes, no single car meets all your needs. You win some, you lose some. It’s just what you definitely need vs what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I would strongly recommend the new Honda City in your case…
Thanks ron178. City Diesel Automatic would have been just perfect, isn’t it? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechLiveMANA View Post
Was in the same boat as you but the choice was simpler as I wanted a Diesel…… I zeroed in on the Creta. Have booked it this week and waiting for the car to be allotted now.
Thank you and congratulations on booking the Creta, TechLiveMANA. Wishing you many miles of happiness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Unless you live in a place with horrible roads or regularly travel to a farmhouse on a dirt trail, I see no reason why Honda City's GC should be a concern. Do take a long test drive though.
Thanks landcruiser123. I test drove the Honda City yesterday and GC seemed fine. I will post my TD update shortly.
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harrier/Seltos/Creta are wider than City though City is lengthier.
If the City fits then that should be the one IMHO.

Repeating myself but since you are TDing, try out the S-Cross too, unless you are completely averse to it.
Recently a fellow BHPian chose the S-Cross(different situation though), if it helps, you can check that thread here (CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris).
Although I am a bit apprehensive whether you will like the engine-gearbox on it.

Good Luck

Last edited by shancz : 23rd December 2020 at 13:42. Reason: added content
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the City. However, if you are open please do check out the Rapid Style 1.0 Tsi AT as well. It gives you 4 airbags, Traction Control , HH, etc which you are looking for. Most importantly the Torque Converter from Aisin. It's absolutely fantastic for TC standards. Mated to the very very competent engine it is super fun to drive. At 100 kmph the engine revolves at only 2000 RPM, so even though it is a small engine it is very competent and packs a lot of punch.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Always maintained that the City is a fantastic mix of performance, practicality and reliability, the three pillars of a vehicle ownership for me. Added to these are the handsome looks and the lovely interiors of the new gen City. The CVT also promises a super comfortable meditative driving experience.

In light of these factors, have voted for the City. I own the 4th gen manual version and it is an absolute pleasure to drive.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:17   #54

My choice is somewhat different than most of the people here and I have some reasons for it. (As a 3rd gen City owner)
Looking at your requirement and if you can live with those looks then go for Creta SX(0) IVT. Let me share the reasons-

1. It's a myth that you can confirm on a test drive that Creta/Seltos have more body roll than City to cause any discomfort. They ride pretty flat, unlike previous koreans.
2. Keeping in mind the rear seat comfort, Citys seat cushioning might be a little better but if you load up with luggage then it bottoms out on every undulation over 80kmhr. New-gen City has softer suspension and I am skeptical that it will bottom out more now.
3. Creta has both options of IVT and DCT (will be better on highways with more torque) but if you have reliability concern then even the 1.5 one somehow feels a bit more refined than Citys motor (both NA units with CVT feel lazy on full load bdw)
4. Lastly, the point of safety. First, we don't know how Indian City will fare in GNCAP but I also factor kerb weight in an actual crash scenario where a heavier vehicle generally fares better than a lighter one (watch here- ), I guess Creta should be at least 100kgs heavier.

One point to note is- if you want to have fun sometimes then City will feel better than Creta (its cousin feels a lot tighter in comparison) but I feel Creta would be a wiser choice.
DriveShrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:55   #55
BHPian

Test drove the City ZX CVT yesterday. Here are my observations:

1. Most important - I could fit the car in my parking spot comfortably, albeit going back and forth once, which is okay. This was the 1st test which decides if I should proceed with the test drive or not
2. Fantastic ergonomics. I could find a comfortable driving position in no time. I could adjust the driver seat such that I didn’t feel seating way down.
3. Cabin is spacious and so is the rear seat. The dashboard is set in such a way that driver gets all-round visibility.
4. Driver seat has great back support but could have managed with a bit more under thigh support too. I liked the driver armrest. Just wished it could have been either longer or adjustable.
5. Lovely interior ambience. Cabin look & feel is plush. Leather quality is good. Seat cushioning is good too. Rear seat has a comfortable angel. For my height (5ft 7in), I didn’t face any issue with non-adjustable rear headrest.
6. Since I am coming from 1.2 Zest petrol, I found the 1.5 NA iVTEC powerful, obviously. Took a long test drive of about 20km with tall and uneven speed breakers and some uneven sections. Did not face any issue with ground clearance. But I do plan to take the family along too again to check GC. This time around they were just not ready to accompany due to COVID situation.
7. I used the “S” mode and could take the car to 80kmph in 2nd gear.
8. I could hear minor road noise creeping in. Noticed that wheel wells do not have cladding. This has resulted in poor insulation. Not sure why would Honda do this?
9. ORVM placement on the door reduces the A-Pillar’s blind spots. Zest’s ORVMs are big enough to create blind spots but I still liked their size.
10. Digital rev-counter looks great.
11. Powerful air conditioner. The rotary buttons feel great.
12. Buttons on the steering are of high quality. Steering feels good to hold. Chunky with the perfect thickness. Quick & responsive too
13. All 4 windows get auto-up & down and can be controlled through fob key as well. Also all driver side buttons are backlit. Fob key can be used to start the car too (for CVT only). Loved this!
14. I noticed that if you child-lock the passenger windows, even the driver cannot operate them. This was not the case with my Zest.
15. Head unit is okay. I am fine with the sound quality but the unit itself could have been better. Right now it feels a bit aftermarket fit. The lanewatch camera quality could have been better too, though it does the job well. Reverse camera display is low resolution too. No reverse parking guidelines. That would have come very handy in my parking spot. Hyundai decidedly has an advantage here with better branded music system (Bose) and reverse parking guidelines. Even Tata Nexon does a great job here with their Harmon Kardon unit.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 23rd December 2020 at 20:59. Reason: Formatting
sam264_2000 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
If the City fits then that should be the one IMHO.

Repeating myself but since you are TDing, try out the S-Cross too…..
Thanks shancz. Yes, it would be City if Creta/Seltos doesn’t fit in my parking. It could be a difficult choice if all 3 fit  I followed that thread. I would have considered S-Cross too if not for 4 speed TC (my brother loves that gearbox though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Voted for the City…..
Thanks Altocumulus. I am not too excited about the 3 cylinder 1L turbo from VW/Skoda stable because of the brand’s long term reliability and ASS concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Always maintained that the City is a fantastic mix of performance, practicality and reliability….
Thanks arindambasu13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShrive View Post
Looking at your requirement and if you can live with those looks then go for Creta SX(0) IVT….
…… I feel Creta would be a wiser choice.
Thanks DriveShrive. I would be TDing Creta too. Will share my experience.
sam264_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It could be a difficult choice if all 3 fit  I followed that thread. I would have considered S-Cross too if not for 4 speed TC (my brother loves that gearbox though).
City seems likely then, even if all 3 fit.

Yup I feel ashamed to even write 4 speed auto
Maruti needs to give a modern TC that car truly deserves.
I think from a practical perspective it should work well in city traffic with good FE and low maintenance costs due to lesser shifts. Its just on the highway the need for higher gears would be felt. But haven't driven it so still an educated guess.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shancz. Yes, it would be City if Creta/Seltos doesn’t fit in my parking. It could be a difficult choice if all 3 fit  I followed that thread.
Then it is going to be a difficult choice. Don't worry all 3 will fit. I have a parking space tailor made for the City. Just about 30-40cm (a bit more than a long ruler/scale) space is left for closing the gate and guess what, our Harrier also fits in it (that's why I also recommended the Harrier)! No doubt the Creta and the Seltos will fit in your parking if the City does.
Interesting confusions ahead, it seems!
Candy$Cars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:29   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Don't worry all 3 will fit...
Interesting confusions ahead, it seems!
Length is not the issue now since Seltos/Creta are lesser in length than City. It's the width. Getting out of the City after parking it was a bit uneasy. My parking spot is a corner one with a compound wall on one side and 2 pillars on the other. So turning the car without scrapping requires some skill. Harrier/Seltos/Creta are wider than City. There is a possibility of scrapping the rear left door or rear wheel arc or right corner boot. I will TD these cars and then update.
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:34   #60
BHPian

Personally I dont live SUV's due to very high body roll unless driving on bad roads,if driving on nice city roads then Sedan is the king, Toyota Yarris CVT is definitely worth considering as an alternative option to Honda City in the Sedan space- Toyota long term reliability found in old Qualis-Innova-Fortuner is better than Honda
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks