Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 13:34   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatic | Rough Use Resistant | Mass Market Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirang View Post
All in all, looks like currently we are leaning very heavily towards Honda and the decision is between Jazz an Amaze.
Well, since your requirement has "rough use resistant" up there, have you given any thought to the comparative simplicity and superior robustness of classic automatics (torque converter types) when compared to CVTs? I just wanted to be sure you gave this some thought. Internationally, the older automatics have proven themselves in heavy duty trucks and what not. CVTs can overheat when driven enthusiastically. But Honda's CVTs have the 'S' sport mode with predefined gear ratios to overcome exactly that. Since you are considering Honda CVTs, maybe this is not a big issue.

And why consider AMTs when they aren't all that robust? They are repair-prone, if you ask my mechanic. They are repair-prone, easily fixable and are not robust, is the opinion he holds.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Well, since your requirement has "rough use resistant" up there, have you given any thought to the comparative simplicity and superior robustness of classic automatics (torque converter types) when compared to CVTs? I just wanted to be sure you gave this some thought. Internationally, the older automatics have proven themselves in heavy duty trucks and what not. CVTs can overheat when driven enthusiastically. But Honda's CVTs have the 'S' sport mode with predefined gear ratios to overcome exactly that. Since you are considering Honda CVTs, maybe this is not a big issue.

And why consider AMTs when they aren't all that robust? They are repair-prone, if you ask my mechanic. They are repair-prone, easily fixable and are not robust, is the opinion he holds.
We are mostly leaning away from AMTs. The only reason to consider AMT is the feedback I got in this forum about "AMTs also work" and me having only paper knowledge.

About "Rough Usage", I wonder if it is being interpreted differently that what I intended. What I meant was that between me (a so-so driver) and my wife (a novice driver), the car will probably not be used in the most ideal way. So we do not want a car that would make us run to the garage every time we are off the manual or best practices track. It is not from the perspective that I will run it more than a taxi or a race car..

More like a "beginner proof" car than a "Pro Handler" car. So I think the CVTs suit that requirement the best.
Old 16th February 2021, 13:00   #63
BHPian

I would recommend you go for the jazz. It has been updated sometime ago and finally gets some much needed features like Android auto and Apple carplay connectivity etc.

The space inside is impressive to say the least and the petrol CVT combo is really smooth. Honda NA engines are reliable and Honda service is also fuss-free.

If a diesel is the requirement, then I would suggest the amaze CVT diesel. It's very smooth but the engine is detuned a bit compared to the manual but I'm assuming you are not a driver that redlines his car on each drive, so you'd be more then okay.
Old 17th February 2021, 03:07   #64
BHPian

We have a very similar requirement now - we're moving to Bangalore in a couple of months, and need an automatic, safe car which is great for traversing the urban jungle and can be used by both me and my wife. We have another car for our highway drives.

Almost finalized on the Ecosport Titanium+ AT petrol for the following reasons:
1. Great engine+gearbox combo. Was really refined and super easy to drive in the city.
2. 6 airbags + Lots of safety features + solid build quality
3. Recent price cut bringing it to around 13.2 lakhs OTR.
4. Excellent handling and decent ride quality.
5. Great ergonomics (I'm 6'4" and this was more comfortable for me than much bigger cars). Also, has tilt+telescopic steering.
Old 17th February 2021, 08:30   #65

A bit odd opinion here, but given that your majority usage is going to be within the city and any long drives have been within 100-120 km range, maybe you can have a look at Nexon Electric. Smooth drivetrain, "automatic", useable range, safe with a decent bootspace. Ticks most boxes of your requirements.
Old 17th February 2021, 09:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Good choice. Safety, build quality and overall fun to drive experience - the Ecosport scores on all parameters. With the smooth torque converter gearbox, the ease of driving is also stepped up a notch.

On another note - welcome to the urban jungle that is Bangalore! Do let me know if you need any leads on a good service advisor, I can put you through to JSP Ford from where we picked up our Ecosport a few months back.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
1. Great engine+gearbox combo. Was really refined and super easy to drive in the city.
5. Great ergonomics (I'm 6'4" and this was more comfortable for me than much bigger cars). Also, has tilt+telescopic steering.
Great choice!
I'm a 6 footer myself and it was super easy to get into a comfortable driving position. We have the Titanium AT and I can tell you that the drive in the city is going to be very smooth and the small dimensions only make it easier to drive and park in the city. The Mileage is also not too terrible considering that I'm getting anywhere between 8.5 and 9 depending on how heavy my right foot is , and after the first service it's only going to improve.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 22:51   #68

I am a in search of a good automatic Car with good FE, reliability and safety and can be used by both me and my wife to traverse thru city traffic and occasional highway rides. Usage - 15000 km/year (approx). I am not interested in AMTs and have shortlisted few in CVT segment under 10L budget:

Petrol - JAZZ CVT & Magnite Turbo + CVT (But worried about Nissan ASS and 3 cylinder turbo engine)
Diesel - Amaze CVT

Any other options? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ark704 : 18th February 2021 at 23:07.
Old 19th February 2021, 00:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark704 View Post
I am a in search of a good automatic Car with good FE, reliability and safety and can be used by both me and my wife to traverse thru city traffic and occasional highway rides. Usage - 15000 km/year (approx).
Any specific reason why you're focusing on CVTs only? I'd usually not recommend any new Nissan/Renault product till atleast a few months just so that all reliability issues can be sorted out completely.

Other options for your criteria includes:

1. M/S Brezza or Toyota UC - comes with a 4-speed TC unit. Rated 4* in GNCAP.

2. Skoda Rapid Rider Plus AT - comes with a 6-speed TC unit. No official rating but I would presume that it is close to 4* too.

3. Toyota Yaris J CVT - This one is a good option too if you can overlook the looks.
Old 20th February 2021, 08:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I would recommend you go for the jazz. It has been updated sometime ago and finally gets some much needed features like Android auto and Apple carplay connectivity etc.

The space inside is impressive to say the least and the petrol CVT combo is really smooth. Honda NA engines are reliable and Honda service is also fuss-free.

If a diesel is the requirement, then I would suggest the amaze CVT diesel. It's very smooth but the engine is detuned a bit compared to the manual but I'm assuming you are not a driver that redlines his car on each drive, so you'd be more then okay.
Thanks for the confirmation. Amaze VX CVT also get Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Jazz definitely feels premium but Amaze feels more VFM and currently we are leaning towards VFM

Quote:
We have a very similar requirement now - we're moving to Bangalore in a couple of months, and need an automatic, safe car which is great for traversing the urban jungle and can be used by both me and my wife. We have another car for our highway drives.

Ok I am just about 5'8" and haven't really had issues getting in and out of Amaze in the 3 TDs I have done. But there definitely was a difference between Amaze and say Brezza / Urban Cruiser.

After seeing the 13.2 OTR mentioned, I have booked a TD for Ecosport also. Yet to receive a callback. At that price point it becomes very attractive. Titanium+ AT definitely comes way more packed than Amaze for sure.

Was this 13.2 OTR in Bengaluru or Chennai? Right now Cauvery Ford here is quoting 14L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parag.agrawal View Post
A bit odd opinion here, but given that your majority usage is going to be within the city and any long drives have been within 100-120 km range, maybe you can have a look at Nexon Electric. Smooth drivetrain, "automatic", useable range, safe with a decent bootspace. Ticks most boxes of your requirements.
Before I started this car search I was very fixated that I will not buy a car until a long distance EV becomes available in the mass-market. EV is still my ultimate choice. However wife has shot down Nexon as she doesn't want to rule out the long distance drive (a.k.a drive to native) completely.
srirang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 09:02   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark704 View Post
I am a in search of a good automatic Car with good FE, reliability and safety and can be used by both me and my wife to traverse thru city traffic and occasional highway rides. Usage - 15000 km/year (approx). I am not interested in AMTs and have shortlisted few in CVT segment under 10L budget:

Petrol - JAZZ CVT & Magnite Turbo + CVT (But worried about Nissan ASS and 3 cylinder turbo engine)
Diesel - Amaze CVT

Any other options? Thanks in advance.
I have done TDs of both CVT and TC and both are quite comfortable in Bengaluru traffic. So I think TC would also work for you.

If you have not already looked at the sheet I made during my shortlisting please take a look at it here.

However if CVT is fixed, then Baleno / Glanza is another option. Yaris (one of the low end or mid range variant will be available in the 10L vicinity).
srirang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 11:26   #72

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Amaze VX CVT also get Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Jazz definitely feels premium but Amaze feels more VFM and currently we are leaning towards VFM
I am also leaning towards Honda Cars. Yaris is beyond budget.
Amaze VX - 8.84 L Ex. vs Jazz V - 8.63 L & Jazz VX - 9.24 L
ark704 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 17:24   #73
BHPian

Just to close the loop here : After almost having booked Amaze, a friend and colleague forced me to consider Skoda Rapid Rider Plus. I did, went for a few TDs and Amaze suddenly got a very strong contender.

In the final comparison between these two cars, here are the plus points of both the cars as we saw it :

Automatic | Rough Use Resistant | Mass Market Car-screenshot-20210708-5.19.03-pm.png

It seemed like Amaze had more gizmos while Rapid was better under the hood and scored higher on safety. Rapid that way really looks spartan compared several other recent models.

Driving experience and safety trumped gizmos / electronics for me. The TD on Airport road just sealed the deal for me. Wife also felt safer sitting in the heavier Rapid.

After good amount of back and forth, I finally decided to go for Skoda Rapid. Booked it in April and got it delivered last week (thanks to the lockdown..!).

Looking forward some happy miles now. :-)
srirang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:13   #74
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the final comparison between these two cars, here are the plus points of both the cars as we saw it
If i remember correctly, only the Monte Carlo variant of the Rapid came with tinted glasses! Doubt the Rider Plus will have them.
Old 9th July 2021, 00:32   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Just to close the loop here :

After good amount of back and forth, I finally decided to go for Skoda Rapid. Booked it in April and got it delivered last week (thanks to the lockdown..!).

Looking forward some happy miles now. :-)
Congratulations on your new ride! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread…for a self confessed ‘non-enthusiast’ driver looking for a strictly commuter car, you’ve come a long way sir! It’s an ageless car that you’ve picked up and you’ll find yourself growing as a driver with the car. With the TC replacing the dsg in the new VAG 1.0tsi autos, the ownership experience will also be mostly fuss free.
Wish you years of happy mile munching ahead.

Most Viewed