Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Car should I opt for?
Seltos 84 19.58%
City 345 80.42%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2021, 19:17   #76
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs Honda City

I think the thread was closed in 1st post itself.
It was City painted all the way.
You were probably looking for external confirmation :-)
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:13   #77
BHPian

Voted for City, of course.

If its not a tearing urgency, why not hold for 4-5 months. Kushaq will be available, from Skoda. Going by practicality and safety and other bells and whistles, will be much better than Kia. And from space perspective, will be as good as City.
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:59   #78

I just test drove both vehicles last week. The city Vx CVT and the Seltos htx IVT.
The city's suspension is way too soft for me. I'm coming from a 2007 santro xing so I'm used to harder suspension but it's a non-issue on the roads of Chennai which are pretty decent.
Both my parents had difficulty getting in and out of the city. They didn't admit this to me until we got home because they always held city in the highest regard and didn't want to judge it too quickly.
They loved the seltos. I took 3 test drives of the seltos and it has great cabin insulation, excellent ride quality, good power (it's mated to a CVT, I didn't set my expectations too high )
And I'm not ashamed to admit that the seltos feature list and the excellent infotainment system definitely influenced my decision too.
After booking the seltos, on the way back, my wife admitted that she felt a little nauseas in the back seat of the city, she loves the city and didn't want to tell me this because she didn't want that to influence my decision.
So don't think any car is better than the other, you need a minimum 2 test drives to convince yourself.

Like you said, "the only demerit of the seltos is that it's not a city"
pra2seven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:49   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2seven View Post
......After booking the seltos.......
Did the additional safety features provided by City VX CVT over Seltos HTX IVT come into picture when you made the decision?
sam264_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:18   #80
BHPian

Voted for city as I think it is still a very competitive package. Also, in my opinion Koreans offer a great package, but they are not as reliable and as safe as Honda. Also, I think that other than tall speed breakers, KIA is not going to outshine city anywhere else.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:25   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossover SUVs are popular for their utility, more and more people who used to look at the Ciaz \ City \ Verna segment is going for a Seltos \ Creta for good reason. These SUVs are very refined, as car like as it can be to drive and comfortable , they are more useful when the road conditions are unknown and for those who head out of town regularly.

One suggestion is to look for a non-CVT transmission regardless of the brand, their efficiency in city traffic is questionable with Gen 4 City CVT returning only about 9-9.5 Kmpl in Bangalore city.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:35   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Did the additional safety features provided by City VX CVT over Seltos HTX IVT come into picture when you made the decision?
Yes! It definitely did. But I made a conscious choice to settle for the seltos because if I don't enjoy the ride, doesn't make any sense spending 15+ lakhs on it.
This is my personal preference however. That's why I believe just because a car is deemed to be better by a specific group doesn't mean it will be right for you. A test drive will make the decision easier.
pra2seven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:28   #83
BHPian

One more reason to choose City over Seltos is the awesome mileage you get with City
Consistently beating ARAI rated fuel efficiency when we drive with lighter foot and within 80 to 100 KMPH speed range. Mileage figures for my recent Bangalore to Coimbatore trip below.

Kia Seltos vs Honda City-city-mileage-1.jpeg

Though my City is 2015 diesel manual model, City petrol CVTs probably won't disappoint in mileage department. Maintenance costs are comparatively lower for City as well.
samy1117 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:41   #84
BHPian

I prefer the Seltos only if it is 7DCT though I still voted for Seltos over City due to extra GC and looks but one must be careful before buying a DCT transmission car.

Though we own a 2014 City Diesel,which has low GC,I still prefer a crossover or SUV over a sedan anyday due to extra GC.

But,when it comes to comfort and rear seat space,I would prefer the City over the Seltos.

I don't know why many people in this forum are against Hyundai/Kia these days and I feel like they are bashing the company just for its issues like brakes,safety etc and not only Hyundai/Kia,each and every car of any brand has its own issues as well.

Even after being aware of Hyundai/Kia recent issues and Seltos crash result,I still voted and preferred the Seltos over the City.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 3rd March 2021 at 20:49.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:43   #85
BHPian

Can anyone give their opinion on Seltos 1.5 CVT vs City 1.5 CVT?
To me the Korean felt a bit sluggish compared to the city
I would love to hear your takes on this guys!
Old 4th March 2021, 18:07   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
I don't know why many people in this forum are against Hyundai/Kia these days and I feel like they are bashing the company just for its issues like brakes,safety etc and not only Hyundai/Kia,each and every car of any brand has its own issues as well.

Even after being aware of Hyundai/Kia recent issues and Seltos crash result,I still voted and preferred the Seltos over the City.
Majority of the Indians do agree with you which is evident is the fired up sales of the Kia Twins, but I am afraid majority of the bhpians would vehemently disagree with you.

Though all cars have their own imperfections and issues, there are certain things that cannot be compromised- like Safety & Reliability . A company like Kia selling the Seltos at almost 20 big ones scoring paltry 3 stars did not augur well with the autoenthusiasts , regardless of all its gizmos and higher GC .

So that manifested in the poll.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 00:21   #87

This poll cannot come at better time when I am also comparing these two cars from different segments and not able to make a decision. Only thing stopping me from finalizing Honda city is engine noise while accelerating, even at lower rpms. It sounds like a diesel car or maybe existing Hyundai creta (petrol) which I drive is too silent in its operations that has spoilt me. Either way engine noise is a detrimental factor to me and the car doesn't feel as plush or luxurious due to it. Waiting for kushaq now for that explosive 1.0 engine combination with a modern crossover.
Old 17th March 2021, 11:50   #88
BHPian

I was in a similar dilemma for the last 2 years. Yeah, I have been dilly-dallying on buying a new car for the last 2 years . For me, it was Honda City & Verna Vs Kia Seltos & Hyundai Creta. I was including more towards City due to better rear space & boot space plus Sedans handle better than pseudo-SUVs. However, the bad crash test ratings resulted in me ruling out Seltos & Creta. The Indian version of City is structurally the same as the Thailand version so it should score the same whenever it happens. Honda City has also always been rated high on safety so that's an assurance. Why I am ruling out Verna? It's mainly because of rear space. I felt claustrophobic in the rear seat after adjusting the front seat as per my height. Our car will be used mainly for highway drives so the back seat comfort is a priority for the family.
My buying plans are put on hold due to pandemic; Honda City is a strong contender whenever I go out to buy.
amit1agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 12:05   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Our car will be used mainly for highway drives so the back seat comfort is a priority for the family.
My buying plans are put on hold due to pandemic; Honda City is a strong contender whenever I go out to buy.
Since you mentioned that your usage will be mostly on highways, your choice has become easier and obvious, which is City.

Honda City is tailormade for highways, especially the comfort it offers on the rear-seat and impeccable FE ( for IDtec) or excellent driveability ( for Ivtec) is second to none in its contemporaries like Verna or Seltos.

Having driven it for last 3 months for about 12000 km on highways, the drive seems effortless .

The New city looks much more ravishing than the previous generations and certainly is the best looking sedan in this price range.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 14:11   #90
BHPian

My situation exactly. I also will be letting go of a 2011 wagon r . After a lot of research and budget stretching it has come down to the petrol City V mt. Also looking at seltos htk+ . But somehow the koreans don't inspire confidence. GC is the only issue I am somewhat worried about. Maybe that can be somewhat addressed by fitting Rogerab buffers. ASS performance all the same for both brands. I have this idea that somehow the Japanese are better in the core mechanical areas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks