Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2021, 14:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Which automatic turbo-petrol car for my 82-year old father?

How about the Jazz cvt? Light controls, great visibility, and a tall seating position if you raise the seat to its highest position. My 60 year old father finds it easier to get in and out of our Jazz than his 3rd gen City. He prefers my Ecosport more though. In that case, WR-V. No automatic but a great ride, very comfortable.
DrAakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 18:56   #32
BHPian

I would also recommend Honda Jazz CVT . Easy to get in and out, smooth drive, hassle free ownership . Sort of larger wagon r or smaller Innova.
His friends will like the back seat too- they can drive around hang out in comfort and enjoy the Goa scenery thanks to
large glasses all around. It has a sunroof as well now.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 27th February 2021 at 18:57.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 20:10   #33
BHPian

I vote for Polo, it is an adapt car for both cramp city roads and highways. Using my 2nd Polo (Tsi Automatic) now after using the 1st one (1.6 petrol) for last 10 years. Ease of driving is just fantastic, except a minor initial lag, which would be good for him considering his age.
The only one concern for the new polo, just check for his comfort into the low slung entry and exit to the car, also how the right hand side C piller blind spot bothers him. The previous Polo's C piller blind spot seemed much better managed due to better position of the IRVM (lowered now to accommodate the rain sensor).
d2krish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 23:50   #34
BHPian

Happy and Safe driving to Uncle

CSUV- Nissan Magnite CVT or a Renault Kiger CVT based on service center network nearby if he likes higher seating and ground clearance

Hatchback - New 2021 Swift AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 compact car under 10 Lacs as Baleno CVT and Jazz CVT shall be bigger size
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 05:30   #35
BHPian

I would also suggest if you can explore Suzuki Ignis Alpha AMT. Good ingress and egress, extremely compact outside dimensions for short city runs and tight parking, keyless entry is a boon for elders as fiddling with key is not required, easy to use infotainment system. Here is the link for the offical thread on Ignis:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...review-44.html (Maruti Ignis : Official Review)

The peppy engine K12M (I think it misses on the K12N) makes you forget that this has AMT based transmission. The car is super easy to maintain, a good headlight throw and a slightly better build quality than other Maruti's is like the icing on the top.
BrakeFree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 08:56   #36
BHPian

I think it also depends on what all cars your father has been driving until now. Coincidentally, my dad is also 82 and when he bought his latest car a few years back, his preference was to buy the "smallest" automatic available. He has been driving an i10 auto happily since then.
amit73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 09:08   #37
BHPian

Wow. What an inspiration !! If I were to drive till 70 years. I would be over the moon.

I would recommend to stick with a car size he is currently uses and not change it. It will be easier to switch from a Figo to another hatchback but not a C-SUV. Stick to a reliable brand like Maruti, Hyundai and Honda that has a service center close to home.

Wishing him many more years of happy and safe driving.
k10_nag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 09:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
This car is for my dad. He is 82 years old and still drives for short distances. For long distances, he does have a driver.

Thank you!
I was in the same segment for my 63 year old dad recently. Shortlisted the Sonet and Brezza. But went for the top end auto Brezza keeping in mind the after sales part and peace of mind.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 14:19   #39
BHPian

I think you could also check out Honda WRV for him, along with Sonet, Venue and Breeza. Basically brands which have easy availability of service and parts in your area of residence. Please book automatic varients only as this will increase the ease of driving in the city traffic.

But let your father check each of these cars personally and let him test drive if possible.
sensible_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 15:38   #40
anb
BHPian

I would suggest Polo AT or Jazz CVT. These vehicles are compact about the same size as that of the Figo. Compact SUVs are wider. So they will be more difficult to drive on narrow roads and park. I will definitely stay away from XUV3OO. At 1821mm width, it is even widen than F30 3 series. So will be much difficult to park compared to Figo.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:13   #41
BHPian

Have you looked at S-cross. Its a very solid car. Though slightly bigger than the other options being suggested. Ingres/Egress is easy. Downside: the AT is 4Speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'd ask him to check out the Vitara Brezza 1.5 with 4AT.
Does anyone know if Brezza / Scross would offer another form of AT? 4Speed AT today seems just wrong. I was keen to consider Scross for myself and suggest the Brezza to my in law but the 4Speed auto deters us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Contrary to everyone’s suggestions I would say avoid a turbo. ..... Lastly, wouldn’t he prefer smooth linear acceleration over a sudden kick? My vote is for a smooth, refined NA engine.
Absolutely. for the same reason I would always prefer a non turbo for myself as well as parents and in-laws. If I'm not wrong, the previous gen SCrosss with the 1.3L Diesel engine has a very smooth 2000RPM transition. the turbo kick was very gentle.
can others suggest options among Turbo where the turbo kick is smoothened out?
aayusht is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 22:15   #42
BHPian

Again, thank you for your suggestions and comments! I really appreciate it. I also appreciate your kind words of encouragements for my dad. He has been driving since his early 20s - so that is almost 60 years of driving, so why stop now

The main dealerships close to my dad's home are Hyundai, Maruti, Renault and VW. He checked out the Kiger, but they did not have the Turbo version and found the naturally aspirated version to be very sluggish. It may be a few months before the Turbo is available, but he is in no rush and will wait . He will be checking out the Polo tomorrow. The Hyundai I20 and the Venue will be next. Again, the key requirements are a fully automatic (no AMT) and a light pressure turbo for low end torque.
Old 6th March 2021, 00:50   #43
BHPian

In the same conundrum as my maternal grandfather, who had turned 75 recently, is planning to exchange his 2019 Dzire VXI AMT with Brezza AT or S-Cross AT as he wants the feel of the big car and according to him, having a bigger car than his Dzire will make him safe as well.

Why he is considering only Maruti because he's a senior citizen and as per him, the maintenance of Maruti vehicles will be much cheaper than other brands and since he is planning to exchange his Dzire for Brezza or S-Cross, he is expecting that he will get a good price for his less than 20k Kms run Dzire AMT. That's the reason why he is not considering any other car within the same price range.

His usage is mostly on highways most of the time and that too, he drives himself all the time and all the way from Warangal, which is 150 Kms away from Hyderabad and doesn't rely on others as well drivers as well to drive his car as he loves driving and has years of driving experience and he had driven lots of cars including Audi, BMW, which belong to my maternal aunt and uncle. However, the car will be under cover for every 3 to 6 months as he will be visiting my maternal aunt and uncle, who stay in US.

Due to his height, he felt that the Brezza or S-Cross suits him well as he used to have a 2010 Ritz VXI, which we exchanged for the Dzire in 2019 as he wasn't interested in driving an MT car anymore and he felt the Ritz was way taller for him than his present Dzire.

When he came to our home today, he said that he had casually visited the Maruti showroom, from where we bought the Dzire, to have a look at the Brezza and enquired the sales guy, who dealt with us during the delivery of his Dzire and he assured my grandfather that he will offer good price for his Dzire.

He is inclined towards the Brezza but I've suggested him to have a look at S-Cross as it gives some premium feel and looks much better as well as better package than the Brezza.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 6th March 2021 at 00:59.
Old 7th March 2021, 10:54   #44
BHPian

Kudos and touchwood!!

My dilemma is a bit different. My dad is 72 and physically fitter than a 50 year old, he runs 15 kms a day which I cannot but as physical strong he is, he has been losing memory. Not long term but short term ones like to do lists, any recent conversation, names etc. Now he yet drives Mumbai - Pune very regularly say twice a month and does not like drivers. He enjoys his drives and drives mostly a manual gear.
I kind of insisted on him using an automatic but got an advise that he is used to a manual gear and switching to an auto box would actually make it uncomfortable for him and just let him be. He refuses to stop driving Mumbai - pune etc long trips as well.

So my question is what would you guys do? Let him be and continue or is it too risky? I don't want to demoralize him and make him feel old as he really does not feel like he is ageing but at the same time I do not want to push him into any uncertainty or any hazard due to his confidence. This has been killing me and my sisters since a couple of years now.
Old 7th March 2021, 11:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post

So my question is what would you guys do? Let him be and continue or is it too risky? I don't want to demoralize him and make him feel old as he really does not feel like he is ageing but at the same time I do not want to push him into any uncertainty or any hazard due to his confidence. This has been killing me and my sisters since a couple of years now.
Thing with the old age is, they are comfortable continue doing things which they have learnt earlier (muscle memory is at work in most cases) or used to doing, but anything new will be extremely difficult to learn. Switching to an automatic can be disastrous. In an emergency situations, older habituated reflex takes over and this can be dangerous (even common mistake like left leg searching for a clutch before depressing the brake).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks