Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2021, 14:50   #31
BHPian

Re: A car for my cousin which ticks most boxes | Budget 8.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore

Amaze is the safest bet here.
+1 to safety, reliability, peace of mind , space and service. S model have enough basic utilities like electrical foldable orvm, seat height adjust etc
Plus service interval is 1 year
Hemantteen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 16:34   #32
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post

1. Renault Kiger and Nissan Magnite - too new, Nissan's after sales and service is lacking, long waiting period.
If you can wait out the 'waiting period', I'd still say these would be your best bets. After sales is improving across the board and small niggles can be dealt with. You should give these a second look.
Old 14th March 2021, 20:47   #33
BHPian

Not without reason is the Jazz called the Corolla of the hatchback segment. It is, as others have commented, a fill it, shut it and forget it car. As I understand there are only two concerns-
1. After Sales Support. Go strictly by the website and get only those things done. Price list is on the website, things can't get more transparent than this.
2. Low End Torque. It's more than enough for Bangalore traffic. Seriously, do not get taken in by three popular opinion here regarding the weak low end. I agree it seems so on comparison to its rivals but in the real world traffic, you are not going to feel the pinch.

Going by your analysis too, you seem to favour the Jazz. Just go for it- cvt or mt- choice is yours.
I am sorry, just read your post ruling this out as it is over the budget. In which case, my vote goes to the Amaze.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 14th March 2021 at 20:55.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 22:10   #34

I was also on the same boat, tested every car you have listed here. I also looked at the Glanza. Finally settled on the Hyundai Venue S MT. At 8.4 OTR it looked the most VFM for me. High seating, peace of hyundai service at least here in Chennai.
Also I see Bangalore prices are a good 80K above chennai prices.
Old 14th March 2021, 22:56   #35
BHPian

From the perspective of a hassle free city car with a manual transmission that runs on petrol, I would strongly suggest you stick to a Honda Car. They are mostly niggle free and have buttery smooth gearboxes.

Now I would personally pick the Jazz, as it's perceived quality would be far higher than the Amaze, however since your cousin is coming from a Wagon R and may at some point have a larger family, the Amaze would be my suggestion to you. It's every bit a Honda, and even in terms of quality would be leaps and bounds ahead of the Wagon.

Cheers,
Kaur.
KaurDiCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 23:16   #36
BHPian

As you are intended to go with a car with better passive safety features, Nissan Magnite Turbo XL would be the best bet within the mentioned price range. It has all the additional safety features like traction control, brake assist, ESP, hill hold control along with 4* NCAP safety rating. And being used to a tall boy stance of WagonR, it would suit better as well.

Last edited by H0RSEPOWER : 14th March 2021 at 23:17.
Old 15th March 2021, 00:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
As a polo owner since 2016, I would recommend the 1.0L TSI.

And once out of warranty there are many plug and play upgrades on offer to keep it spicy throughout the ownership.
Attachment 2132396
OT, but those headlamps look swell. Mind sharing your place of purchase and price?
Old 15th March 2021, 01:21   #38
rpm
BHPian

Not to be a party pooper, but I'll reiterate what you may already have possibly, probably, likely, presumably heard for the umpteenth time on this forum. I may sound like an old unkill who can't help but share his profound wisdom with every child he sees on the street; the one with a cane in his hand and a slight hump; the one who has seen all there is to life: the ups, the downs, the zenith, and the nadir. I'm aware that I may sound like a broken record, but please bear with me.

The NCAP ratings of international variants do not apply to Indian variants, unless stated by the manufacturer, or the respective NCAP authorities in place.

While the Magnite/Kiger duo may get a pass here because Nissan officially confirmed that the ASEAN NCAP rating applies to the Indian variant as well, the Amaze and Baleno may not be so lucky. Yes, Amaze was tested by GNCAP, but it was the Africa-spec model, and the crash result pdf does not mention whether the rating extends to the Indian variant. Nor has Honda confirmed or advertised the 4-star GNCAP rating for the Indian variant (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this). It may be wise to point out that the Indian variant weighs only slightly less (2-5 kg) than the African Amaze as far as the kerb mass is concerned, but I'm not sure if that is conclusive enough to say hence proved, LHS=RHS. Also, it only managed a 1-star in child occupant protection.

Please factor this into your car buying decision if safety is, as you say, a priority.

Disclaimer: The last few lines of the following paragraph are a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, events and incidents are the products of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Some readers may find the following content highly disturbing and controversial. Reader discretion is advised.

And now that the broken record has finally broken down, this unkill would like to leave you with a parting gift, originating from the very depths of his boundless well of profound wisdom: A wise man once said If I were a betting man, I'd remember Murphy's love child, the Kia Seltos and hang up my boots.

Last edited by rpm : 15th March 2021 at 01:49.
rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 06:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuvidC View Post
OT, but those headlamps look swell. Mind sharing your place of purchase and price?
I actually found them on instagram, the reseller stays in kerela. But my headlights got shipped to me from Delhi. It's a very easy DIY. 27k for the headlamps + 5k for 55w HID kit.
Beerus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 09:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Background

What would you recommend from these choices, based on safety, reliability, ease of driving and general overall quality and after-sales.
I suggest you can also look at Tata Altroz. Given that TML is looking to grab a 10% market share and also given that Nexon and Harrier have started selling well, I am sure they will work on their ASS strategy. Nissan also has a winner in the Magnite and they poached Rakesh Srivastava who has a held a C- Level suite in MUL and has been part of Hyundai during 12-17 if I am correct. He will bring the best practices from both his legacy employment subject to Japs resistance for change. But the fact that they have taken a guy from Korean stable in itself is a paradigm shift in attitude. Polo is a great car based on my experience driving it for 5 years and I have not moved out of the brand post Polo. But the rear seat legroom is absent. Its a car for 2 people IMHO. Its a fun to drive car which is stable on the highways. ASS is not that bad like what is perceived. Cost of maintenance is surely higher than MUL for sure. Also the new Polo has come internationally, and we don't know what VW may do in 22-23.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th March 2021 at 18:37. Reason: Typos
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 12:54   #41
BHPian

I think Amaze would be a nice upgrade over Wagon R, as Amaze would be a good family car with Honda reliability and engine performance.

The car is well built and if your cousin stretch a bit he could get the middle variant and that would take care of all his needs.

The good boot capacity will take care of all the luggage of the family and regarding your concern with service center. Please tell your cousin to simply tell the service advisor to remove all the activities which are not required by Honda for the car.
One needs to be attentive when the service advisor is giving you the estimate of the service.
sensible_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 16:34   #42
BHPian

I don't want to sideway the conversation, but I have seen in this thread and other threads as people were saying that Amaze as a safe car. I think this is because, we are relying on the GNCAP results of South African Amaze. The export lines of almost all the manufactures are different than the domestic one. Honda India also haven't confirmed on the safety of Indian Amaze. So please take it with a pinch of salt. At least with the thickness of the body sheet, it appears that as fragile as other sub 4 metre sedans which has a kerb weight of 900 KG and Below.
Old 15th March 2021, 19:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
...we are relying on the GNCAP results of South African Amaze...it appears that as fragile as other sub 4 metre sedans which has a kerb weight of 900 KG and Below.
It's true that we can't know one way or the other until GNCAP tests an India-spec car, but it's also true that Amaze fared significantly better than Ignis and Elite i20 when GNCAP crash tested all these cars sold in South African market. Now, Honda may water down the Indian Amaze's structure but then the others can do the same and let's not forget that Ignis, i20 are supposed to be superior to the sub 4m sedans of the respective stables (think of words like Nexa, TECT, premium etc.).

I won't digress further but at the end of the day the buyer has to draw his/her own conclusion based on available information and choose a car that best fulfils his/her requirements considering affordability, build quality, safety, performance, mileage, reliability, design, features etc. One size doesn't fit all and there's no free lunch.
k_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:04   #44
BHPian

Very happy to see the requirement of Build quality and safety.

Below are suggestions in the order of recommendation:

Ford freestyle - Solid build, 6 air bags, high GC
VW Polo - Very solid build, super road dynamics
Tata Altroz - Nice build, 5 star safety

NOTHING ELSE comes closer
tirumalavoleti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 23:47   #45
BHPian

Polo would be a good overall choice while it is not perfect in anyway. For that matter, there's no perfect car in any given budget.

As far as discounts go, Bangalore has a bunch of VW dealers. Just get quotes from a few of them and pit their offers against one another. You will see discounts coming through. I have done it twice specific to Polo TSIs in Bangalore and I was amazed to see dealers get desperate for a sale without even me taking a test drive or putting down a deposit.
LPJ777 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks