Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 18:56   #16
BHPian

Re: VW T-Roc vs Mahindra Thar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr View Post
I am considering the T Roc or the Kushaq (when it launches)
Hello snj I currently own a Volkswagen T-roc and here are some of my insights.
  • The T-roc is an excellent all-rounded vehicle, more so than the Thar.
  • The Kushaq looks to be a good competitor, but the biggest turn-off would be the boot space which is 380L. The T-roc has a 450L boot and in many situations, I find even that not to be enough. But the on-road price will definitely reach the upper limit of your budget, especially after the price hike. The rear hump also robs a lot of space so the back is best suited for 2 adults, 3 would make it cramped.
  • Highway manners are excellent, the 1.5 TSi and the 7 speed DSG is a dream combo, but the ride quality is quite firm. Its planted on highways but in bad city roads, many potholes and poor road surfaces can be felt in the cabin.
  • I also find the T-roc super easy to drive in the city, compact enough for narrow turns, tight parking spaces, and the ACT combined with the start -stop system. It also returns an impressive fuel efficiency figure when driven accordingly.
  • The T-roc is also one of the safest cars on the market.
Seahawk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 19:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

i think if you are confused between a Thar and another car, you should choose the 'other car' and not the Thar.

T-Roc is what you need and Thar is what you want. Go for the T-Roc. I booked my Thar in November and I too considered the T-Roc for a bit. But the idea of missing out on a 4X4 after paying 23L is something that I was not able to digest. So, all wheels turning is a priority for me (for now at least).

One question though - is the Kushaq placed above or at par with the T-Roc?
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 19:57   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

One question though - is the Kushaq placed above or at par with the T-Roc?
Not the right thread for this, but Kushaq will be priced at the same price as the Creta.
10 lakhs ex-showroom for the base 1.0 Turbo. And about 15 lakhs for the 1.5 TSi (which will compete with the Seltos GT/ Creta 1.4 Turbo)

The reason why T-Roc costs so much is because its a CBU.
turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 07:59   #19
BHPian

I own the 2013 Ecosport Petrol manual and now the Thar automatic diesel ( while I like the petrol better). If I was you, I’d wait for the 5 door Thar due next year, not for the space but better highway dynamics. I just concluded a 5k kms drive in the Thar and in the current form, it slows and tires you down. With the gem of an engine stallion is, you really want the best of it. If you cannot wait, T ROC is no brainer
Rajiv0909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:15   #20
BHPian

Having owned multiple VWs over more than a decade now and even a Mahindra, I can say with closed eyes that if you're looking for a long-term car, go with a Volkswagen.

The build quality, badge value, sheer driveability of any VW car is what sets is apart from other competitors. Sure it might lack out on a gizmo or two, but I don't feel that is the case with the T-Roc since it is loaded to the gills. The only downside that I see are expensive parts and service costs. However, VW is currently working on reducing the ownership costs by around 15% which is significant.

You might also want to consider a pre-owned VW if you want to go in for a bigger one such as a Tiguan all space or something like that. Might also be interesting and financially prudent for you to check out some Skoda models!

Coming to the Thar, while I have no doubt that it is a great car, I'm not sure that Mahindra can match the sophistication of the Germans just yet. Many of my friends own Thars as a sidecar to satisfy any offroading/Road Trip cravings. The service of Mahindra and occasional quality niggles have already started pestering them (not that this doesn't happen in VW).

Hope this helps and happy to answer any specific question as a VW owner!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:17   #21
BHPian

As a single car garage, go for TROC. It’s a very rare car to have and beautiful also. Thar can’t be the primary car. And ecosport should be out since you can afford better. I feel the car buying decision is a heart decision and TROC will pull those strings the best.
Old 9th May 2021, 11:44   #22
BHPian

Thar is a different experience all together, it’s nowhere close to the practicality,space,comfort and convenience the T-Roc will offer. However, like many of of us who always wanted to own a timeless beauty Thar is the ideal choice.

It’s a heart over head matter, a Thar can never score over T-Roc but if your heart wants it that sole reason is sufficient to let go the lucrative features. Otherwise every time you pass by a Thar your heart will say “What If??”.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 12:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wouldn't really consider the EcoSport to be an upgrade over the i20, so I would leave that out of the picture.
Absolutely.

It's infact a downgrade when it comes to interior quality and space.

If the OP is not a hard-core SUV type, the T-Roc trumps the Thar with its quality, premium feel and dynamics.

Personally, nothing beats the Thar when it comes to looks and road presence. NOTHING!
Old 9th May 2021, 12:35   #24

Hi,

Why not buy the Thar and a hot hatch for T-roc money?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2021 at 13:37. Reason: Grammar.
nishant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 12:56   #25
BHPian

The VW T-Roc is a superb choice for an all-rounder car which can take you around in the city in style, to the palace to attend a royal wedding, to work everyday looking like the CEO, and take you down long highways to effortlessly travel across the country. However, the T-Roc would be a terrible choice for village roads and jungle trails, 'coz it doesn't have 4x4 and is rather akin to taking a VW Polo with good GC off-road.

The Mahindra Thar 2020 cannot be a primary car for all seasons and all occasions. The boot space is inexistent and entry to the rear seats require active gymnastic ability. Sitting in the rear seats for long require you to genuinely like the owners of the car . The Mahindra Thar 2020 is a macho Wrangler clone which can tackle jungle trails with as much ease as the T-Roc would crawl malls. The Thar can also take two people to work and around the city. The Thar can also do highway runs, but it won't by dynamically pleasurable as a T-Roc.

My advice - go for the T-Roc! Concurrently set aside cash for a used Thar and buy one in about 2-3 years time if the desire persists. For that matter a 2020 Thar and a VW T-Roc make an ideal two car garage!
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 13:11   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

As a Thar owner, I think it is a great car and great VFM, but does pose practical difficulties as a daily commute car. However, I am pleasantly surprised by its highway behaviour - while not the fastest, it is pretty quick, with a good ride on smooth roads and has a more mature behaviour than most reviews make it out to be.

So, the Thar is ruled out for your purpose. I have owned an Ecosport as well and I agree with most views here that is won’t be an upgrade over your i-20. However, I think you should go for the Kushaq or Taigun and not the T-Roc.

If you want a VW car, the Taigun is a better choice long term, since it will have more interior space due to the longer wheelbase, larger dimensions, better road presence, lower cost spares due to indigenisation. Plus you can get the same 1.5 TSI + DSG powertrain combination in what will probably be a slightly lighter vehicle. You will also pay much less for the Taigun (18 lakhs OTR for top end as compared to 26 lakhs for T-Roc). The T-Roc also misses some features like cruise control (shocking!) which the Taigun will have.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 9th May 2021 at 13:16.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 17:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd suggest the TROC if you want petrol. But if you are open for a Diesel AT - it should be the THAR diesel AT hands down.

Since the THAR is on your list of 3 - you love how it looks, and you are a "jeep" man (sorry FCA ). In all likelihood - this is the last chance to own a hardcore diesel 4x4 "Jeep". Within less than a decade things are going to go hybrid/petrol only and EV. Get one while you are still in shape to drive one & they are available on sale. A TROC - well you can buy an EV avatar of it 10 years later also.

Mods - perhaps a simple poll on top of this thread?
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 18:08   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Since the THAR is on your list of 3 - you love how it looks, and you are a "jeep" man (sorry FCA ).
Lady*

The OP is a lady by the name of Swathi

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intro...gentlemen.html (Hello ladies & gentlemen!)
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 23:21   #29
BHPian

As it is going be everyday car and only car, Thar is out of question. It is a lifestyle vehicle, not an everyday vehicle. T Roc is very good but expensive.
For your kind of usage I would suggest wait for Kushaq, if you don't like it go for T Roc.

Skodas are plusher riding than VWs and the engine gearbox combo will be same for Taigun and Kushaq. Also Skodas are more premium inside and outside than VW. It will be much more budget friendly than T Roc.
MADMAX111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 02:20   #30
AZT
BHPian

I thing the 5 door Thar would have sealed the deal for you, but with the current one and considering your long intended use, T-Roc hands down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks