Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 02:38   #31
BHPian

Re: VW T-Roc vs Mahindra Thar?

If you can wait a couple of months, I suggest you take a look at the upcoming Taigun, it will be the same size as the T roc, and looking at your current options, it seems you would be inclined to the 1.5 TSI with the DSG combo plucked straight out of the T roc. It should be a hoot to drive and would be a suitable enough upgrade over your i20, and you'd probably save atleast 5-7 lakhs over the T roc.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 06:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I suggest you take a look at the upcoming Taigun, it will be the same size as the T roc, and looking at your current options, it seems you would be inclined to the 1.5 TSI with the DSG combo plucked straight out of the T roc. It should be a hoot to drive and would be a suitable enough upgrade over your i20, and you'd probably save atleast 5-7 lakhs over the T roc.
I agree. I have a vw Passat and am a vw fan boy. Looked at thr T-Roc as a smaller run-around car. As good as it is, for the sticker price, it felt underwhelming.

The reviews of the kushaq seem to suggest they are good to drive, same engines, and hopefully at a much better price.

Thar is a lifestyle choice. The veedubs and the thar really aren't either/or options to the same question.
srgntpepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:50   #33
BHPian

Between these two, I would pick the VW. It is refined, comfortable and sophisticated. Everything that will make your life easy.
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 12:39   #34
snr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
It's a pity that Indian market has almost no good (maybe Hyundai Tucson and Jeep compass dont fall under my radar as good) petrol automatics with independent rear suspension even at ~25L price bracket. The suspension of Kia's you mentioned might not be much different than T-Rocs as they all use torsion beam/twist beam which are a type of semi-independent suspension which is not the best when it comes to comfort. May be you might like the tuning of T-roc's a bit better than Sonet or Seltos.

Most luxury cars in India have independent suspension at the rear. If you dont mind a used car, a luxury sedan or a crossover/SUV from BMW (X1, 3 series) or Mercedes-Benz (CLA, GLA) stable. or used Toyota camry might be all very comfortable options. But reserve a good % for service and maintenance when you take the used luxury route.

Yes seems like T-Roc is a better choice for me. Luxury cars at the moment seems far fetched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakshith2929 View Post
Hey Snr, I own both the Volkswagen T-roc and the Mahindra thar. It all comes down to personal choice and suitability. I was using my T-roc for a good six months until the Mahindra Thar came. The Mahindra thar comes with an exceptional road presence and makes you feel like the king of the road, but I wouldn’t suggest the Thar if it’s going to be a primary vehicle of yours as it comes with the usual Mahindra niggles. On the other hand, T-roc as a primary car is a much better option and you would absolutely love driving the 1.5L TSI DSG, and you may just make excuses in your home to take it out for a spin.
Oh wow! Lucky you! Yes looks like the T-Roc is going to be the one. Or Skoda Kushaq, once it gets released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
If it's the only car in the house then it has to be T-Roc unless and untill you are enthusiastic about owning Thar. Thar can be a 2nd/3rd car in the garage but not a primary car. You have the budget of T-Roc then don't look for EcoSport. T-Roc seems to fulfill your requirements.
Yes I might have to drop EcoSport from the list. I also came across an article about Ford wanting to exit the Indian market. I don't want to get stuck with a car that may not have parts available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Do you like to scare autos ?? If 'yes' then Thar whereas if you are the urbane, slick, city type who has a taste & a place for the good things in life and just wants to breeze past the slow movers in a euro steed then T-Roc.
Haha no no. I am not a bad driver at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT007 View Post
Hi Snr, my suggestion would be to consider Hyundai Creta 1.4 petrol DCT in your list too as i feel the suspension is tuned a bit more on comfort side compared to KIA's. Also, as suggested by others Mahindra Thar shouldn't be the primary vehicle. Anyways T-Roc is a good choice for the city as well as the highways with that 1.5 TSI. Hope before the year end you get to try out Kushaq and Taigun before making the final decision.
Kia and Hyundai are a strict no no for me. I drove in it and got a terrible back ache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Hello snj I currently own a Volkswagen T-roc and here are some of my insights.
  • The T-roc is an excellent all-rounded vehicle, more so than the Thar.
  • The Kushaq looks to be a good competitor, but the biggest turn-off would be the boot space which is 380L. The T-roc has a 450L boot and in many situations, I find even that not to be enough. But the on-road price will definitely reach the upper limit of your budget, especially after the price hike. The rear hump also robs a lot of space so the back is best suited for 2 adults, 3 would make it cramped.
  • Highway manners are excellent, the 1.5 TSi and the 7 speed DSG is a dream combo, but the ride quality is quite firm. Its planted on highways but in bad city roads, many potholes and poor road surfaces can be felt in the cabin.
  • I also find the T-roc super easy to drive in the city, compact enough for narrow turns, tight parking spaces, and the ACT combined with the start -stop system. It also returns an impressive fuel efficiency figure when driven accordingly.
  • The T-roc is also one of the safest cars on the market.
Yes I saw the Kushaq. I don't mind the smaller boot space. If it drives well then I might consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
i think if you are confused between a Thar and another car, you should choose the 'other car' and not the Thar.

T-Roc is what you need and Thar is what you want. Go for the T-Roc. I booked my Thar in November and I too considered the T-Roc for a bit. But the idea of missing out on a 4X4 after paying 23L is something that I was not able to digest. So, all wheels turning is a priority for me (for now at least).

One question though - is the Kushaq placed above or at par with the T-Roc?
I'm not sure where Kushaq is placed, but I think on par or slightly below the T-Roc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Not the right thread for this, but Kushaq will be priced at the same price as the Creta.
10 lakhs ex-showroom for the base 1.0 Turbo. And about 15 lakhs for the 1.5 TSi (which will compete with the Seltos GT/ Creta 1.4 Turbo)

The reason why T-Roc costs so much is because its a CBU.
Yes Kushaq seems like a good bet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I own the 2013 Ecosport Petrol manual and now the Thar automatic diesel ( while I like the petrol better). If I was you, I’d wait for the 5 door Thar due next year, not for the space but better highway dynamics. I just concluded a 5k kms drive in the Thar and in the current form, it slows and tires you down. With the gem of an engine stallion is, you really want the best of it. If you cannot wait, T ROC is no brainer
I have a feeling I will drop the Thar from the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Having owned multiple VWs over more than a decade now and even a Mahindra, I can say with closed eyes that if you're looking for a long-term car, go with a Volkswagen.

The build quality, badge value, sheer driveability of any VW car is what sets is apart from other competitors. Sure it might lack out on a gizmo or two, but I don't feel that is the case with the T-Roc since it is loaded to the gills. The only downside that I see are expensive parts and service costs. However, VW is currently working on reducing the ownership costs by around 15% which is significant.

You might also want to consider a pre-owned VW if you want to go in for a bigger one such as a Tiguan all space or something like that. Might also be interesting and financially prudent for you to check out some Skoda models!

Hope this helps and happy to answer any specific question as a VW owner!
Yes my husband also says VW is a better car despite having its own set of issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
As a single car garage, go for TROC. It’s a very rare car to have and beautiful also. Thar can’t be the primary car. And ecosport should be out since you can afford better. I feel the car buying decision is a heart decision and TROC will pull those strings the best.
Yes seems like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Thar is a different experience all together, it’s nowhere close to the practicality,space,comfort and convenience the T-Roc will offer. However, like many of of us who always wanted to own a timeless beauty Thar is the ideal choice.

It’s a heart over head matter, a Thar can never score over T-Roc but if your heart wants it that sole reason is sufficient to let go the lucrative features. Otherwise every time you pass by a Thar your heart will say “What If??”.
Haha yeah I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Absolutely.

It's infact a downgrade when it comes to interior quality and space.

If the OP is not a hard-core SUV type, the T-Roc trumps the Thar with its quality, premium feel and dynamics.

Personally, nothing beats the Thar when it comes to looks and road presence. NOTHING!
Yes T-Roc looks much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant View Post
Hi,

Why not buy the Thar and a hot hatch for T-roc money?
I don't have the need for 2 cars. Hence just going for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
The VW T-Roc is a superb choice for an all-rounder car which can take you around in the city in style, to the palace to attend a royal wedding, to work everyday looking like the CEO, and take you down long highways to effortlessly travel across the country. However, the T-Roc would be a terrible choice for village roads and jungle trails, 'coz it doesn't have 4x4 and is rather akin to taking a VW Polo with good GC off-road.

The Mahindra Thar 2020 cannot be a primary car for all seasons and all occasions. The boot space is inexistent and entry to the rear seats require active gymnastic ability. Sitting in the rear seats for long require you to genuinely like the owners of the car . The Mahindra Thar 2020 is a macho Wrangler clone which can tackle jungle trails with as much ease as the T-Roc would crawl malls. The Thar can also take two people to work and around the city. The Thar can also do highway runs, but it won't by dynamically pleasurable as a T-Roc.

My advice - go for the T-Roc! Concurrently set aside cash for a used Thar and buy one in about 2-3 years time if the desire persists. For that matter a 2020 Thar and a VW T-Roc make an ideal two car garage!
Interesting perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
As a Thar owner, I think it is a great car and great VFM, but does pose practical difficulties as a daily commute car. However, I am pleasantly surprised by its highway behaviour - while not the fastest, it is pretty quick, with a good ride on smooth roads and has a more mature behaviour than most reviews make it out to be.

So, the Thar is ruled out for your purpose. I have owned an Ecosport as well and I agree with most views here that is won’t be an upgrade over your i-20. However, I think you should go for the Kushaq or Taigun and not the T-Roc.

If you want a VW car, the Taigun is a better choice long term, since it will have more interior space due to the longer wheelbase, larger dimensions, better road presence, lower cost spares due to indigenisation. Plus you can get the same 1.5 TSI + DSG powertrain combination in what will probably be a slightly lighter vehicle. You will also pay much less for the Taigun (18 lakhs OTR for top end as compared to 26 lakhs for T-Roc). The T-Roc also misses some features like cruise control (shocking!) which the Taigun will have.
Oh I thought T-Roc had Cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'd suggest the TROC if you want petrol. But if you are open for a Diesel AT - it should be the THAR diesel AT hands down.

Since the THAR is on your list of 3 - you love how it looks, and you are a "jeep" man (sorry FCA ). In all likelihood - this is the last chance to own a hardcore diesel 4x4 "Jeep". Within less than a decade things are going to go hybrid/petrol only and EV. Get one while you are still in shape to drive one & they are available on sale. A TROC - well you can buy an EV avatar of it 10 years later also.

Mods - perhaps a simple poll on top of this thread?
I'm not a Jeep person, neither is my husband! So Jeep is not considered at all. He complains suspension is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
As it is going be everyday car and only car, Thar is out of question. It is a lifestyle vehicle, not an everyday vehicle. T Roc is very good but expensive.
For your kind of usage I would suggest wait for Kushaq, if you don't like it go for T Roc.

Skodas are plusher riding than VWs and the engine gearbox combo will be same for Taigun and Kushaq. Also Skodas are more premium inside and outside than VW. It will be much more budget friendly than T Roc.
Yes when I came across Kushaq, I thought it is a much better fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I thing the 5 door Thar would have sealed the deal for you, but with the current one and considering your long intended use, T-Roc hands down.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
If you can wait a couple of months, I suggest you take a look at the upcoming Taigun, it will be the same size as the T roc, and looking at your current options, it seems you would be inclined to the 1.5 TSI with the DSG combo plucked straight out of the T roc. It should be a hoot to drive and would be a suitable enough upgrade over your i20, and you'd probably save atleast 5-7 lakhs over the T roc.
Yes sounds like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
I agree. I have a vw Passat and am a vw fan boy. Looked at thr T-Roc as a smaller run-around car. As good as it is, for the sticker price, it felt underwhelming.

The reviews of the kushaq seem to suggest they are good to drive, same engines, and hopefully at a much better price.

Thar is a lifestyle choice. The veedubs and the thar really aren't either/or options to the same question.
Yes Kushaq sounds enticing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitchalla View Post
Between these two, I would pick the VW. It is refined, comfortable and sophisticated. Everything that will make your life easy.
True!

I think I will wait for the Skoda Kushaq, VW Taigun and compare with the VW T-Roc post lockdown. My husband says Thar may seem nice initially but both of us have our doubts about enjoying it in the long term since we don't do off roading haha

Thank you also so much for your suggestions and varied opinions. Really appreciate it!
snr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 02:09   #35
BHPian

Hi Fellow Team BHPian,

-By the Subject of he thread, it seems you have already eliminated the ecosport from your list. Its a rational decision as Ecosport is not a suitable upgrade over i20, my friend used to own an I20 & drove it for 1.1Lac KMS, so going by his experience, Ecosport is not an good upgrade.

-Thar, its a nice offering from Mahindra & They really Heard the feedback, its more practical than previous generation. but Not an everyday city car. It has a cult following & legendary status, just take a test drive into your city & see for yourself if you can live with it.

-T-Roc, Argubaly the best among the 3 cars, will be perfect choice according to your usage but has problems too. Its EXPENSIVE, so does its maintainance & ownership cost, There is not a whole lot of market for T-roc, so it will be difficult to sell incase you want to upgrade further. Also, VW is notorious for their A.S.S., so check in your city about it.

I would recommend taking a look at Hyundai Tucson.

But Go wherever your heart takes you.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2021 at 05:57. Reason: Dotty post
GuyBurnsFuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 14:35   #36
BHPian

Struck In a Dilemma! Seltos V/S Thar?!

Hi All,

Finally my delivery date of New Thar convertible top has come almost close and it is time that I need to take a decision over the purchasing process. So I already own the New Civic, and the Seltos (Diesel GT Line, AT). I use my Seltos as the daily driven car but I do wish to travel to Leh, Ladakh before October 2021. I am totally split between whether I should sell off my Seltos minimum with a 10-12% Depreciation on the purchasing value and get in the Thar Convertible and travel to Leh without any lags attached or I should keep in the Seltos and go to Leh by the Seltos.

My Seltos has already been driven 18k in 11 Months, and being a pure carguy I do have all my cars maintained quite well.

Suggestions please!

Thanks,
Aamish.
Old 9th August 2021, 16:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Struck In a Dilemma! Seltos V/S Thar?!

I can very well relate to your predicament. I own a Seltos too and had done a trip to Himachal just before the pandemic. If one is just moving on the main roads and popular/listed tourist places, Seltos would suffice but if you really want to get into exploratory mode, a hardcore off roader is needed. After the last trip in my Seltos to Shimla, Kulu, Manali,Uttarakhand etc I had made up my mind that if ever I go again to that side of our country, I'm going to be taking a capable 4*4 along. Many a times while driving in the Himalayas, I missed a 4*4. Couple of times, I couldn't access the place of stay I booked owing to snowing and black ice(thin ice) on roads. And that's the smallest of hindrance one encounters in such places and a 2WD/FWD is a big handicap. If such touring expeditions are a big criteria, Thar is the answer but will not have the everyday practicality of Seltos. Better go to such terrains with all your ammunition loaded. For a full blown driving trip spanning 2-3 weeks, Thar is just suitable for only two adults I reckon. A jack for all trades option would be a Ford Endeavour, a pre owned one if you're looking at similar budget as Thar.

To be honest, I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm so tempted to book the Thar but it can't do all that Seltos can do - doing an inter state trip with four on board plus luggage, nimble in city, smaller foot print, comfort of monocoque, almost sedan like driving dynamics etc. Thar if bought can only be primarily used for such long driving trips to Ladakh, off beat places and off roading etc. Hence my mind is moving towards a pre owned Endeavour 4*4 AT which I feel is the one answer for my quandary and can do most things.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th August 2021 at 16:35.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you can still keep the Seltos and hire a Thar for that one special trip. I think the Thar would not be competition to the Seltos in driving dynamics, comfort and family travel. I think selling a car and buying the Thar for just that one or two trips is not quite worth it. If I were you, I wouldn't buy the Thar for that one trip. Instead, I would rent/lease a nice one from a reputed agency and enjoy the 4X4 drive.
Raghu M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

If you have the budget, why dont you consider buying a good Fortuner in the used car market or even new.

A fortuner is actually a go anywhere vehicle with lots of room for 5 and luggage.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

If your requirement is only to go to Leh and nothing else, Seltos can easily do Leh trip. You don't need to have a Thar just for sake of Leh. If your intentions of purchase is something different that is not mentioned here, then it is a different decision to be made.

Given the current road conditions, any pseudo SUV with 2WD can complete Leh Yatra. So spending 2 digit lakhs on a 4WD car will not make sense to me.(Purely my opinion)
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:55   #41
BHPian

Seems like Seltos is quite ideal for your trip. You can follow this person’s YouTube channel for your reference.

DebarshiSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:03   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Seltos can easily do Ladakh unless you want to do some mischief like taking gata loop shortcuts

Note: Logic can't be used to used to buy the Thar. You buy the Thar because you want one, not because you need one. And don't even bother justifying the Thar, not even to yourself
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:05   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post

New Civic, and the Seltos (Diesel GT Line, AT).

Sell the Civic, sell the Seltos, and forget about the Thar.

Buy either the upcoming XUV700 AWD variant, or the Fortuner.
Both are go anywhere, do anything vehicles, and dare I say, have more street cred than a Civic, assuming the Civic is a porch ornament.
Old 9th August 2021, 18:09   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post
Hi All,

Suggestions please!

Thanks,
Aamish.
This is a no brainer. If your entire decision is premised on a single trip to Leh then please explore the link below and other similar service providers. 2.0 Thars, both manual and automatic are available for rentals to undertake such trips.

https://www.rbtsselfdrive.com/4x4-su...d-at-hard-top/
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:58   #45
BHPian

Seltos is very much cabale of completing the Leh trip. Proof lies in countless vlogs and videos on Youtube. Being less than an year old car, it must have some use cases for which you have bought it and letting it go just for leh trip is not something I personally would do.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks