Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 19:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Which pre-owned car for 4 adults and a growing kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
A pre-owned 1.6 is very rare to find. The only time one such came up for discussion in Whatsapp group I was in, the selling price was around 8.5 lakhs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAnna View Post
Would vote only for the Scross. Any engine option should work for you. Its apt for your requirement. Used 1.6 are rare and they are priced at a premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
1.6 is a very rare find but if you get it, it's an absolute blast.
If it is S-Cross, i might only have it with 1.6. My head asks me to look elsewhere but heart is still drooling over the same. What could be a fair price for 2017 S-Cross 1.6 with around 50K Kms on the odo? Also apart from regular inspection and test drive with more concentration on engine and suspension, is there anything else that is to be checked on a pre-owned 1.6? If not VAG twins listed, i could go with Honda City option with 1L more budget.
Old 28th May 2021, 20:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguisuku View Post
If it is S-Cross, i might only have it with 1.6. My head asks me to look elsewhere but heart is still drooling over the same. What could be a fair price for 2017 S-Cross 1.6 with around 50K Kms on the odo? Also apart from regular inspection and test drive with more concentration on engine and suspension, is there anything else that is to be checked on a pre-owned 1.6? If not VAG twins listed, i could go with Honda City option with 1L more budget.
If you have inclination/ resources to check the cars from olx or other dealers you will have to check quite a few things for any car in general, top to be noted, (1) genuiness of odo, (2) any accidents or accidental repairs, (3) intactness of body lines, (4) service history to check for any major repairs or repeated niggles, (5) identify how much expenses you might end up after buying eg - tyres, battery, insurance, service etc.

If you do not wish to do all this, you can check out certified cars, like the one below. I have bought pre-owned cars directly from owners as well as from Spinny (I am currently on my 6th pre-owned car) and find Spinny quite good. Not related to Spinny in anyway and speaking out of my experience of buying two cars form them.

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...-in-chennai/s/
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 21:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaish9925 View Post
Do have a look at the Honda Jazz / Honda City i-Dtecs.
City is added to the search list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
You should comfortably get a Mobilio or BRV in your budget.
I understand and appreciate your suggestion from practical view but i dont appreciate them for their looks and build. However i added City to the list even though i would be stretching a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Could check out the Hyundai Creta pre-facelift SX(O) with 6 airbags as well. A good example can be available around ₹10-11Lakh. It may not be as FTD like the S-Cross but the 1.6L CRDi is punchy no doubt.
Thanks for the suggestion. I feel Creta has been overpriced traditionally and used market is no exception. Also 10+ is well over my budget and i am looking to stick under 6-8L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
(1) genuiness of odo, (2) any accidents or accidental repairs, (3) intactness of body lines, (4) service history to check for any major repairs or repeated niggles, (5) identify how much expenses you might end up after buying eg - tyres, battery, insurance, service etc.
Thanks KK. From other forum posts, i understand that S-Cross suspension has an unsolved issue. I have heard about heating issues as well from another friend who has S-Cross 1.3. Is there any other lingering known issues with S-Cross 1.3/1.6 that i should be aware of?
Old 28th May 2021, 21:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks KK. From other forum posts, i understand that S-Cross suspension has an unsolved issue. I have heard about heating issues as well from another friend who has S-Cross 1.3. Is there any other lingering known issues with S-Cross 1.3/1.6 that i should be aware of?
I am not aware of the suspension issues of S- Cross, but a quick check on the forum I could find this post from Dr.Naren's thread, for any specific queries on S-Cross you could enquire on this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4639997

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 28th May 2021 at 21:33.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 07:34   #20
BHPian

I was in similar dilemma as you when I was looking for a car which can accommodate 4 adults and a child. I was driving a swift diesel before.

Tried looking for another big car from Maruti stable but didn't go forward as good condition used Maruti cars were not available easily.

So, finalized a Toyota Etios diesel. 40000 kilometers up and running wonderfully well without trouble. If you are looking for a car with good space to accommodate 4 adults in comfort, a large boot space, easy to maintain and reliable engines; then can definitely look at Etios once. Petrol is a spirited performer, diesel is frugal. You will not go wrong in selecting either of these engines.

You will get a fairly new model in your budget with some money to spare as well, which you can use to spice up your car later.
All the best for your search.
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suspension was an issue, but I believe the facelift has resolved this with a revised beam design.
The same can be replaced on the pre-facelift vehicles as well.
Symptoms include alignment issues, bouncy ride in the rear, and noise on uneven roads.

This heating issue is news to me. It isn't a common issue, unless you're referring to the glow plugs which seem to be giving up around the 5 year mark.

In the 1.6, there are a couple of other small issues as well, like the clutch switch malfunction, etc. but they are a quick and easy fix.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 13:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Suspension was an issue, but I believe the facelift has resolved this with a revised beam design.
The same can be replaced on the pre-facelift vehicles as well.
Symptoms include alignment issues, bouncy ride in the rear, and noise on uneven roads. This heating issue is news to me. It isn't a common issue, unless you're referring to the glow plugs which seem to be giving up around the 5 year mark.
I was actually worried really about the suspension and your reply gives me courage to go forward... Yes the heating issue is actually the warning on Pre-Heat system and replacing the glow plug seems to solve the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
So, finalized a Toyota Etios diesel.
That is also a good suggestion from reliability perspective but i do not like any Toyota except the Innova. No offence meant there.
Old 29th May 2021, 15:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the heating issue is actually the warning on Pre-Heat system and replacing the glow plug seems to solve the issue.
Glow plug conking is not a heating problem. Glow plugs are used to aid starting up diesel cars in cold conditions. You are residing in Madras where winter does not exist. First time I got, I was in Porbandar in the 6th day of a 16 day trip at 28K. For the next 9 days when early morning temperatures were around 10 C, I was always able to crank up on the first attempt. For the next 30K I've driven since in the 1.5 years, its always been there except for about 5K kms. The glow plug warning is like a secret companion who is always looking out for you I've stopped bothering since its hardly impacted the functioning of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
glow plugs which seem to be giving up around the 5 year mark.
5 years is wow. At least one conks off every 20K, I've seen several owners report in increments of 20K and change.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 18:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Since the kid is just 6 years old, even the Ecosport can be a great option. My dad purchased a pre Owned Ecosport S TDCI, in June 2020, which was July 2018 model, 12500 kms on the Odo. Costed us 9.65L. A similar age model now might be available at 8.5L? If you can do without some features, lower Ecosport models can be good too and would be available at around 7 L after negotiation.

Stressing more on Ecosport, because it satisfies all your 7 criteria.

One more option I can think of is Honda Amaze (1st gen), if you could do with the interiors. The build quality is below average, but you could find one at around 4-5L, and it satisfies all your other criteria. The diesel is very punchy motor and really frugal too. This car served us for 7 years, and was a good stead.

From your options, I would stay away from the VW and Yeti. Those cars are too old, and if something goes wrong, will be a headache to fix. If you do find a S Cross 1.6 in your budget, it should be your best bet! But 1.3 is something I would avoid.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 19:03   #25
BHPian

Would like to just suggest 1 point since you mentioned comfort for elders and also listed Jetta as an option - probably look more towards SUV type builds as it would be easier for ingress/egress for elders than in a sedan. Not the butch SUV types as climbing them is altogether another struggle but some compact/mid size SUV types like Ecosport.

Creta could also be a contender but I guess that would be out of your budget.
Old 29th May 2021, 19:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Since the kid is just 6 years old, even the Ecosport can be a great option. One more option I can think of is Honda Amaze (1st gen), if you could do with the interiors. From your options, I would stay away from the VW and Yeti.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have removed VAGs listed there and S-Cross 1.6, Honda Amaze Current Gen, City, and EcoSport are on the shortlist now. All these 4 meet all my criteria except the budget.
Old 30th May 2021, 11:00   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Tried looking for another big car from Maruti stable but didn't go forward as good condition used Maruti cars were not available easily.
Check out the True Value offerings. While they aren't angels, they are definitely better & more systematic than most used car dealers from the unorganised segment. You'll pay a premium, but you might get the "good condition" Maruti you want.

Marut's True Value gets first dibs on the thousands of trade-in cars at Maruti dealerships across the country.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 11:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Why is the duster not there in consideration ? Although outdated, it is a spacious car and can get the job done ! My second option would be the Etios ! It is a car built to last and will definitely be a peace of mind ownership experience. Most of the garages and FNGs can easily service that car.

The Etios too might look slightly outdated, but it can clock some really good miles without showing any age or fatigue. Also quality levels are pretty good from what I have heard. The boot is spacious and so is the rear bench. Try getting a nice used example and get some detailing done and you will have a very reliable 5 seater car.
Old 31st May 2021, 08:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross 1.3

Let's be honest here. For someone who is used to a Grand i10 petrol, the 1.3 scross will still be more than adequate and torquey.

Don't go by the armchair opinion that s cross 1.3 is inadequate on highways. Do get the opinion of actual owners about it. Having used the 1.3 for over 2.3 lakh km in two different tunes, I would say, the 1.3 can be very adequate unless you want to be doing illegal speeds all the time.

You can find 2017+ S cross 1.3 easily, within your budget. The car is very comfortable, spacious, drives really well, and it is built solidly as well. Maruti after sales and reliability is second to none.

Do yourselves a favor and test drive a friend's or sellers S-cross 1.3. If you feel it inadequate beyond the low end lag, the next sensible option will be 3-4 year old Rapids which are still in warranty. Rapid 1.5/1.6 is a gem of a car. After sales service is a risk you must be willing to take though. Part costs are significantly higher too.

Both the VAG 1.6/1.5 and the Maruti 1.3 diesels can put lakhs and lakhs of mileage and still be trouble free if you are reasonable with the periodic maintenance.

Positives of S cross over Rapid

1. Space
2. Flatter rear floor
3. Ease of ingress and egress
4. Service and spares
5. Better fuel economy (by 0.5 - 2 kmpl)
6. Better NVH (not very significant though)

Positives of Rapid over Scross

1. Better performance
2. Low bottom end lag
3. Looks(subjective)
4. Interiors hold up better than the Maruti longterm
5. Aerodynamics
6. Slightly bigger boot space

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 31st May 2021 at 08:40.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 09:16   #30
BHPian

Given your requirements, my recommendations would be in this order:
  1. Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel.
  2. Toyota Corolla Petrol (A/T preferred).
  3. Toyota Yaris (A/T preferred).
  4. Honda City Petrol (A/t preferred).
  5. MS S-Cross (1.6 > 1.3).
  6. Toyota Etios Diesel.
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks