Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 11:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Which pre-owned car for 4 adults and a growing kid?

I would recommend hunting for a Honda City or Hyundai Elantra depending upon your preferences and expectations.

Both of them are no-nonsense cars but I would give a slight edge to the Honda City on the reliability factor. But maintaining an Elantra would any day be easier than maintaining a Fabia/Jetta/Rapid.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 12:09   #32
BHPian

Below is my reco in no particular order:

1. Toyota Yaris CVT (some really sweet deals are available if you hunt carefully)
2. Honda City Petrol CVT (awesome deals on this one too)
3. S-Cross (Easier to find a 1.3 than 1.6 - not many 1.6 owners are giving up their's easily)
4. Toyota Corolla Petrol Automatic
5. Ciaz (absolute VFM in used car market). I will prefer this over a Yaris actually for the rear seat experience.
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 12:53   #33
BANNED

If i was at your place then I would have avoided Yeti or Jetta. You can find other good cars in the similar price range. I would have considered the following options

1. Honda City
2. Polo
3. Xuv300
4. Rapid
s.jain1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:53   #34
BHPian

Etios diesel / Liva diesel

1. Very roomy interior with best in cabin space for five people. It's sheer interior space shames many car from the segment above. The boot space of the sedan variant is humongous which deserves a mention here.
2. It's 1.4L d4d is a great unit and coupled to the slick shifting 5 speed gearbox makes driving stress free. The engine delivers good power and the gearbox delivers positive shifts all the time.
3. The diesel engine returns superb fuel efficiency and the minimal turbo lag makes driving fun.
4. It boasts good on road behaviour as well , the ride stays flat and consistent and cruises on the open roads with the poise of a bigger car.
5. Brakes are strong and delivers satisfying power.
6. It's very easy to manoeuvre in crowded places due to its tight turning radius.
7. After sales is great alongwith very affordable service charges.
8. Being a Toyota it is dependable and really scores high in terms of longevity/durability.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 19:35   #35
BHPian

If you manage to find a well maintained S-Cross 1.6, just go ahead with it. Brilliant engine, good fuel efficiency and lots of space on offer. It's the perfect family car and a beast at the same time .The prices for pre-worshipped ones can be on the higher side though. Keep searching, there might be one out there, waiting for you��.

Keep Revving,
CountryDriver
CountryDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 00:14   #36
BHPian

As someone who owns used S-Cross 1.6 and a S-cross 1.3 in the family, I may be able to give an idea on ownership experience. The 1.3 power train is definitely more reliable and fuel efficient. 1.6 Powertrain is not so reliable as many owners i know have faced IC hose damage, Oil pressure switch failure, Slave cylinder failure etc. Most of these parts warrant a wait period as these are mostly not in stock. If this would be your second car, may not cause a problem due to down time.
A clutch overhaul could set you back by 20k including labour.
Powertrain related parts will definitely become costlier in the future. If this is not a problem, you should definitely search for a well maintained one.

A suggestion: Why don't you also consider Creta 1.6D as an option? Creta is also capable (read comfort + performance) if not as dynamically poised as S-Cross.
CrossLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 08:02   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
A suggestion: Why don't you also consider Creta 1.6D as an option? Creta is also capable (read comfort + performance) if not as dynamically poised as S-Cross.
Suggesting you to check the prices of used cretas.

It is absurd. Creta is the Innova of compact SUVs. A 100,000 km run 5 year old 1.6 diesel sample demands 10 lakhs.

For 7 lakhs, you have to be very lucky to get a good creta diesel. Moreover last gen creta had defects with brakes and honestly, Hyundai longterm reliability is a gamble oflate.

If he is okay with previous gen creta's vague handling, I would rather suggest the ciaz diesel. It has better availability in the used market than scross. It is cheaper and absolutely perfect for a family that needs space and comfort. It is extremely reliable too.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st June 2021 at 08:09.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 11:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
For 7 lakhs, you have to be very lucky to get a good creta diesel. Moreover last gen creta had defects with brakes and honestly, Hyundai longterm reliability is a gamble oflate.
Oops! forgot about the brakes. Here is something that i found in Chennai,

https://www.olx.in/en/item/maruti-su...iid-1634373776
Old 1st June 2021, 11:32   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is something that i found in Chennai,
Pardon me for being cynical. That particular sample is being sold by a dealer. Somehow I cannot believe a 4+ year old diesel car has been used just for 10k km a year.

Used car dealerships usually tamper the odo. If it was the individual selling it, I would trust it more.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st June 2021 at 11:34.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I cannot believe a 4+ year old diesel car has been used just for 10k km a year.

Used car dealerships usually tamper the odo. If it was the individual selling it, I would trust it more.
Yeah could be. That's why it is important to check service history details. There are people who bought S-cross for its overall package (including me) even though a petrol option was not available when it was launched. I don't think we need to doubt a <10km/per year mileage diesel S-cross. Also, for the past one year many cars have minimal running.
Old 1st June 2021, 12:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah could be. That's why it is important to check service history details.
Okay, now tell me if service history helps in this case:

I buy a new SCross in 2017. I clock 10000 km in 3 months and get the first 2 free services done at Nexa. In another 4 months I clock another 10000 km, but this time, I get the routine service done in a friendly neighborhood garage. Same happens with 30000km service too, where I ask my friendly mechanic to back clock the odometer to 10000 km. When the car is about to be 14 months old, its time for the 40000 km service(but the odo will read 20000 km), I visit Nexa for the 20000 km service, thereby the service history will show just 20k km in about 1.5 years. If I keep doing this cycle for 3 more years, the car actually would have run 1 lakh km in 4 years, but the odo will read just about 40000 km. The service history will also match the odo.

How do I know this? Because i know a few car owners who do this so as to get 10-20% extra resale during the sale. I am not implying that all used cars are tampered. But most are.

Last February, my friend's acquaintance bought an used polo for 4 lakhs. The car had 44000 km on odo. When we checked with service history, the car had run 160000 km. This first owner had sold it to a dealer and the dealer just had tampered the odo and sold it.

Even our BHPians 200000 km run linea was sold as is in the odo, and it was later found listed as a car with 92000 km on odo. This happens everywhere.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st June 2021 at 12:45.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, now tell me if service history helps in this case:
According to this logic a person cannot believe Odo value of any car, be it an Individual's, dealer's or a friend's car. What if a friend lies to you about the actual kms car has covered? Possible right?

I think we are deviating from the topic. I assume OP is well informed about the pros and cons of buying a used car.
Old 1st June 2021, 14:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The 1.3 power train is definitely more reliable and fuel efficient. 1.6 Powertrain is not so reliable as many owners i know have faced IC hose damage, Oil pressure switch failure, Slave cylinder failure etc. Most of these parts warrant a wait period as these are mostly not in stock. If this would be your second car, may not cause a problem due to down time. A clutch overhaul could set you back by 20k including labour.
Powertrain related parts will definitely become costlier in the future. If this is not a problem, you should definitely search for a well maintained one.
As mentioned, it is my second car. The problems you have mentioned are mentioned are new to me and have not heard them before. Are these common problems or specific to a lemon?
Quote:
Suggesting you to check the prices of used cretas. It is absurd. Creta is the Innova of compact SUVs. A 100,000 km run 5 year old 1.6 diesel sample demands 10 lakhs. For 7 lakhs, you have to be very lucky to get a good creta diesel. Moreover last gen creta had defects with brakes and honestly, Hyundai longterm reliability is a gamble oflate. If he is okay with previous gen creta's vague handling, I would rather suggest the ciaz diesel. It has better availability in the used market than scross. It is cheaper and absolutely perfect for a family that needs space and comfort. It is extremely reliable too.
I definitely agree. For not much good reasons, Creta is overpriced in used market as well. I would prefer Honda City and Ciaz if i go the sedan route in that price bracket.
Quote:
Oops! forgot about the brakes. Here is something that i found in Chennai, https://www.olx.in/en/item/maruti-su...iid-1634373776
The same example is listed in Team-BHP too. I contacted the dealer couple of days back, asking the service details etc., he is yet to reply. Going by the very specific questions i asked, i believe i would not receive a reply from him and if thats the case, then it is not the car as advertised.
Quote:
According to this logic a person cannot believe Odo value of any car, be it an Individual's, dealer's or a friend's car. What if a friend lies to you about the actual kms car has covered? Possible right? I think we are deviating from the topic. I assume OP is well informed about the pros and cons of buying a used car.
I believe odo tampering can be found not just with service records, but you need to take a very close look at the wear and tear of various parts. Having said that, it is definitely our money that we are putting in line here so would need to check it as much we want and we don't rush and desperate to get the car as well. Key to finding a well maintained one in used car market is patience i believe.
Old 1st June 2021, 15:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguisuku View Post
Are these common problems or specific to a lemon?
These are common problems and not specific to a lemon. Not very serious i would say. But patience is key. Since you already own a car i don't think down time should bother you much.

Do refer this informative post from Naren,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4790224 (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)

Last edited by CrossLife : 1st June 2021 at 15:51.
Old 1st June 2021, 18:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Any Jap or Korean car which fits your budget and isn't older than 5 years should be fine. Good examples from a safety perspective would be the Etios, Yaris, S Cross, Brezza

Other cars which may not be as safe, but should be considered are Ertiga, Kicks, Duster/Terrano and Venue.

Good luck with your car search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks