Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2022, 01:09   #46

Re: Confused! Need suggestions for first car with an Automatic gearbox

Test drive the Kiger CVT. The lower variants should come in your budget. The interiors are good and the CVT+turbo combo is amazing to drive.
It doesn't come with hill hold but i have driven the car on high slopes and the car didn't roll back, the creep function is always pushing the car forward.

The only drawback is the lack of a manual mode.
Reppin_Frost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:54   #47
BHPian

Wow. That's a whole bunch of suggestions. Here's one more to confuse you (kidding).

If I were a newbie and young family in your place, I would scan the used car market for reliable automatics. You may consider a used Altis or a Yaris CVT. Should satisfy all your needs. Check out the Toyota used car dealership in your area. You might get some great examples below 10L. Trust me you can never go wrong with a Toyota.
VikrantD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 22:15   #48
BHPian

I have been driving a Baleno CVT for 4 yrs lovely automatic at 10 Lac range now however Suzuki has switched to Baleno AMT in 2022 model

Next best option would be a Honda Amaze CVT/Nissan Magnite Turbo CVT/Renault Kiger Turbo CVT in 10 lac range

No CVT in hatchbacks currently in India all AMT only which are jerky
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 03:23   #49
BHPian

Hi, my two cents. Go for Jazz CVT. Meets all your requirements and it is a superior car to Amaze. Amaze won't disappoint either. But out of the two, Jazz is the global product and presumably better built. However, if you prefer the sedan form factor, Amaze is good too.

Everything else is just clutter. Second hand is just a never ending chase and you never know if you are getting a lemon. And from the other options suggested, none can match the reliability of Honda except maybe Brezza AT but it's too expensive - nearly 2L more than the equivalent manual version, makes no sense at all.
Time_Machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 07:57   #50
BHPian

A very unconventional suggestion for a first car. But it may make a lot of sense. How about the Tigor EV?
Hear me out first before throwing the suggestion.
Most usage in city - check
Two travels out of city every quarter - need to check charging station availability.
Drivability on hills - not sure - does Tigor have hill assist etc?

The extra initial investment will come back in terms of fuel savings.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:48   #51
BHPian

If its automatic and within 10 lacs then it would be
1. Honda Amaze CVT
2. Kriger/Magnite CVT (more practical for a family)
Do test drive thoroughly multiple times before deciding.

Avoid AMTs from Maruti and DCA from Tata as they are not refined enough in comparison to Honda CVT or Nissan CVT.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 18:58   #52

Hi
Test Drive all the CVT and AMT which falls in your budget.

Check, which suits your practical and social need. Then go for it.

With the traffic situation in our Metros, it does not make much difference between, 100% Automatic or AMT.
Average speeds are between 13 kms to 18 kms per hour.

European brands are high on safety.

Japanese are reliable and easy on pocket. Koreans are similar and feature rich.

American cars are no more available in market. They are all about power and size.

Best wishes in advance for your new car.

Thank you
Ram35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 15:40   #53

Please also consider looking at pre-owned automatics considering you are a new driver and this is your first car. My reasons:
1. You are bound to scratch and dent it in city traffic and a used car makes the pain that much easier to bear psychologically.
2. You might be able to afford a slightly bigger/better car in that same budget, than you would a new one.
3. A pre-owned car loses less value than a new one, since depreciation is max in the first 3 years of a new car
Something to consider.
Old 20th August 2022, 16:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at Jazz CVT or even the Kiger/Magnite twins in the CVT Turbo guise. May suit you well. Jazz is a generation old and Kiger/Magnite are also feature loaded and have good GNCAP ratings. Stay away from DCT/AMT.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 21:10   #55
BHPian

My pick would be Amaze CVT , it has very usable 89bhp, very smooth engine and good mileage. As a first car you will not go wrong with this option.

I am having Renault Duster CVT and since there are no gears shifts, you will not have any head nodes like in AMT or Reliability issues like in DCT. Amaze has 89 bhp so the rubber band effect of CVT is well contained.

Yes, the infotainment system is bad but one could always go for any branded Android infotainment like Blaupunkt, Sony, pioneer or the Indian one "Woodman" having more features at later point of time after purchasing car. Most infotainment systems available in market today are plug and play options, so you can fix them easily at any car interior accessories shop nearby.

Always remember whenever you are buying any vehicle be it new or pre-owned , check whether functionally it's a good car like having good ride & handling, chassis balance, good engine, good brakes etc.. all these other electronic gadgetry can be retrofitted later. Because if functionally the car is bad, then you will only think of replacing it within 2 years.
DustyWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:28   #56
BHPian

Hi OP , for your requirement of AT for city under 10 L , here are my suggestions :

1. Amaze / Jazz CVT - Smooth cars , you cannot go wrong here.

2. Nissan Magnite CVT / Renault Kiger CVT - Depending on proximity of service network

3. Urban Cruiser AT - 4 speed torque convertor , but with good drivability

4. Altroz DCA - Only wet clutch DCT box in a hatchback, suitable for Indian city traffic
baarish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 13:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post
You may consider a used Altis or a Yaris CVT. Should satisfy all your needs. Check out the Toyota used car dealership in your area. You might get some great examples below 10L. Trust me you can never go wrong with a Toyota.
I am in a similar confusion as the OP. Yaris CVT from Toyota Utrust appears a very viable option. But considering that very few units were sold in India and that too for few years, how will be the availability of spares in future, say in another 5 years.

I know government mandates 10 years minimum and Toyotas are built for life. But in case of Yaris, if any spare is needed, will there be lag in procuring spares and the car ending up in service center for more time than required?
beez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 13:58   #58
BHPian

I am an Etios petrol sedan owner. I was contemplating on replacing the Etios with a Yaris CVT. My Toyota service center mechanic gave a thumbs up. I however decided to retain the Etios for a bit longer and maybe go for a used Innova or old gen Endeavour as the family wants a big car.

Yaris is one of the best automatics out there. There are two in my extended family. It's a very sedate car to drive. Just go for it and don't worry about spares. You will be sorted out by Toyota.

As for the period, we Indians usually don't keep cars for long right? You probably might itch for a change within 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beez View Post
I am in a similar confusion as the OP. Yaris CVT from Toyota Utrust appears a very viable option. But considering that very few units were sold in India and that too for few years, how will be the availability of spares in future, say in another 5 years.

I know government mandates 10 years minimum and Toyotas are built for life. But in case of Yaris, if any spare is needed, will there be lag in procuring spares and the car ending up in service center for more time than required?
VikrantD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks