Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 18:02   #31

Re: Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Also, one-liner posts are best avoided.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by GTO : 11th November 2022 at 12:44.
Lemonysnicketz is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th November 2022, 19:18   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Either hold on to your current Octavia or get the Superb or Tiguan. They offer a great package for the price and the the new gearbox is not as notorious as the DQ200.
Old 10th November 2022, 20:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahin_P21 View Post

Even we are in a same confusion between the two cars. You can check it out in the link below where I have tried to highlight the difference between the Tiguan and Tucson(Diesel). Also do share your thoughts and opinions.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5433900 (2022 Hyundai Tucson vs Jeep Compass vs Citroen C5 Aircross vs Others)

So, for now I think VW Tiguan and the Hyundai tucson are the viable options.

I am not considering Superb & Camry as I am not convinced it is a good upgrade from Octavia, Superb is 45L on-road & Camry is 50+.

PS: That's a great comparison between Tiguan & Tucson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Test the diesel tucson. It's significantly better to drive than the lethargic petrol.

But since you seem to be more of a petrol sedan guy, give the new skoda superb a try or get a pre-owned 330i m-sport. They are introducing a facelift next year so with the dealerships selling off their old stock at discount, the pre-owned ones have become cheaper compared to the start of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Oh dear God! It's the same story that keeps repeating over and over. The typical sedan enthusiast dude wants to replace his amazing sedan but can't find anything because the manufacturers are simply not ready to sell good sedans over here even when they have good products selling in other countries. This dude asks his BHPian friends for suggestions, all of whom have lived this experience and half heartedly bought some crossover or SUV and justify their decisions by including references to market dynamics, supply demand, chip shortage etc. Eventually, the enthusiast shall cave in and buy a random SUV he neither needed nor likes and join the herd. And then wait for the next victim to come asking for suggestions for a new sedan so that we all can guide him to failure and make him one of us
That has been exactly my feeling for the last few weeks; a quick search on the Carwale website for sedans between 15-45L on-road and 140+ BHP power shows these results! Slavia, Virtus, Octavia & Superb. Period.
Some hope, although in a silhouette from a distance: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...he-gap-425628.
shahbaz63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
Skoda has stopped giving goodwill warranties for DSG woes since March this year.
Skoda has stopped giving goodwill discounts long ago. My DSG failed in Jan 2022 and I had to pay 2L. The repair did not work out and I had to sell the car for a loss.

We cannot be sure if the repair would work or not. It is a hit or miss.
vinaydatla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 22:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
Some hope, although in a silhouette from a distance: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...he-gap-425628.
Well, I have, by now, probably watched every youtube video featuring the GLB. And I'm 100% sure that Mercedes is going to price it at ₹ 60 Lakh on-road here in MH.
Old 11th November 2022, 22:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Well, I have, by now, probably watched every Youtube video featuring the GLB. And I'm 100% sure that Mercedes is going to price it at ₹ 60 Lakh on-road here in MH.
I was referring to Skoda Octavia RS iV ()
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 04:45   #37
BHPian

I get your dilemma. I had to upgrade the 1st gen Jazz and it was a similar challenge. For it to feel like an upgrade you have to look for jumping multiple categories and given the depreciation of money your budget is very similar. E.g. my 7.5 lakh in 2012 was equal to 14+ lakh today. So I had to wait til I could raise my budget significantly.

Also, I understand the concern that if long drives are your main usage unreliable gearbox sounds scary.

I recommend you look at Tucson Diesel. While it may not be the same in handling compared to Octavia which is Sedan it is an extremely comfortable ride and extremely powerful engine. It has a smooth-shifting traditional torque converter auto. As long as you don't care that it is a Hyundai it fits your need well. I bought one and there are a lot of folks who bought it because it is an excellent car though a little costly it makes a lot of sense.

Check out my and other owners' reviews and decision-making process for Tucson. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5436605 (2022 Hyundai Tucson Review)
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 14:38   #38
BHPian

My Two-Cents: (As an Octavia Owner)

I test-drove Hyundai Tucson Diesel. It drives better than the Petrol variant, but it is no match to Tiguan forget about the Octavia. Power delivery is linear, with no rush, no punch, just a linear delivery of power throughout the band; if you floor the pedal engine screams for help (and it is loud). The car is packed with features, but the interior quality could be better for a 40L+ car; only the front windows have one touch up & down function, and the button feels cheap. The touch & feel of the interior does not give a premium feel. Seats are comfortable & the car is loaded with tons of features, but it lacks some essential practicality as the centre console has no LED or colour changes for any button; changes are only shown on the MID. The parking brake has no LED lights, Auto Hold, or Hill Decent. Overall an excellent car for someone already driving a compact SUV like Creta, Brezza or Sonet, but 6/7 lakh rupees overprice it.
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 19:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Considering you are pretty happy with the car and the Skoda ASS, I would suggest you to hold onto it. Get the DSG replacement for 2-3L and have a great 5 year ownership too!

Post 5 years, get a 3 pointed star or the BMW and that would be a proper upgrade.
Old 19th November 2022, 13:33   #40

Looking to upgrade from my VW Jetta 1.4 Petrol

Hi,

Currently own a 2012 model VW Jetta Petrol 1.4 Comfortline purchased in Feb 2013.

I am a sedate driver( mostly city) ,love sturdy ,spacious , luxury sedans with refined petrol engines and a good boot space and hassle free ownership( which I enjoyed in my previous cars-the Opel Corsa being my only error of judgement).

Prior to Jetta, have owned the Maruti Omni ( first car),Esteem, Hyundai Accent,Opel Corsa and the Honda City ( 3 Times). All these cars i have sold after 3 years of use.

Jetta has been the only car I have been using now for close to 10 years. Lovely car,done only 55,000 kms. The build quality,petrol engine,space,luxury is unmatched till date in that segment.

Have been trying to upgrade since the last three years ( Sedan only) but unable to find a suitable upgrade excepting the Skoda Octavia. Not much comfortable with Skoda Octavia ,seems terribly overpriced, also prefer a MT.

Also checked out the new Slavia and Virtus, both are underwhelming in all aspects as compared to the Jetta.

Any suggestions on the upgrade( Sedan-Petrol-MT Only without sunroof) or should I stick to the Jetta for some more years?

Luxury Sedan as good as the Jetta ( if not better) .
Sedanlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 18:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking to upgrade from my VW Jetta 1.4 Petrol

The Jetta 1.4 petrol is a car that would be tough to replace and I recommend you hold onto it considering it has only completed 55k kms.

Problem is your car was designed and introduced to the market in an era where companies believed that perhaps if they offer a cheaper or more practical sedan, they might be able to halt the drop in sales of sedans and perhaps extend their product's market life. Now, unfortunately, everyone has accepted the dawn of the SUV era and just as the market for sedans has shrank, so has the choices that manufacturers offer in this category. A proper sedan, that too a manual, is a tall ask especially in our country. To give you an example, even if money is no object, there only exists the Slavia/Virtus, City, Ciaz and Verna if one wants a manual petrol sedan in our country, all of which would be a major downgrade from your Jetta. Hold on to your ride atleast until the people of this planet make up their minds about how to get from a to b. Whether we must do so in electric vehicles or whether we must use buses or whether we can carry on using petrol powered privately owned cars. Once some universal decision is made, then the market will expand once more to cater to everyone's needs and all the niches.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th November 2022 at 18:07.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 19:41   #42

Thanks,yes a lot of people have been advising me to hold on to it.

But since it is now close to 10 years,the itch is there to own a brand new sedan. Also ( as with the cars I have owned in the past and sold after 3 years),I have always believed in selling when the vehicle is in top condition and good to go for atleast another 1L Kms so that the new owner gets the benefit.

Unfortunately none of the new sedan launches in recent years till date has excited me enough to sell the Jetta and upgrade.

Honestly shocked to see the quality of so called sedans in the market.Some costing 20L and above on road don't even have an underbody cover!

Maybe should wait and watch for the 2023 new launches.
Old 20th November 2022, 08:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Virtus GT is your closest option in the under 45 lakhs segment but it is definitely a downgrade from the Jetta.

Upgrades will run into the luxury Germans if you aren't going for the Skodas(Octavia/Superb and if available).
Its a hard pill to swallow for sedan/hatch lovers like me but the market has moved to the SUVs, so if looking for more options they're in the SUV space.

IMO the Tiguan would be the upgrade option for the Jetta, adjusting for our market and ground/road realities

I do recommend at least taking a TD to get a feel of the positives and negatives from your perspective.

Last edited by shancz : 20th November 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Ccl
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 08:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedanlover View Post
Hi,

Currently own a 2012 model VW Jetta Petrol 1.4 Comfortline purchased in Feb 2013.
Any suggestions on the upgrade( Sedan-Petrol-MT Only without sunroof) or should I stick to the Jetta for some more years?

Luxury Sedan as good as the Jetta ( if not better) .
Other than the Skoda Octavia, there is simply no sedan, under 35 Lakhs, comparable to the Jetta in the Indian market now. And the current Octavia comes only in the manual guise. It may not even stay in India for long now.
If you feel that the Octavia is overpriced, you could look out for a well maintained Octavia / Superb / BMW3 in the used market for a better value proposition.
I have decided to hold on to my 10 year old Jetta TDI AT Highline even if it means upto 50 to 60K in service costs per year - it still appears to be economical than buying a new "downgrade".
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:04   #45

Thanks for all the responses, have decided as of now to retain the Jetta.

The Skoda Octavia ticks all the right boxes in many ways for me- Luxurious, spacious, Boot Space, sturdy, NO Sunroof ....

But the issues for me are ,the Skoda after sales, pricing, no MT option and the fact that the vehicle is likely to be discontinued soon.

If only they had a variant with a lesser engine 1.5 or 1.8 TSI with MT at a lower price point,would have straight away gone for it.

Guess sooner or later looks to me that I have to join the SUV bandwagon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks