Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 23:35   #91
BHPian

Re: New Hatch or used sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Thanks CPJ and nik0502.

I am considering both the options, i.e. new as well as used. New cars I have in mind are WagonR Lxi CNG with Airbag, Celerio Diesel or CNG and maybe, Amaze EMT (retrofit CNG). For used cars, I am considering SX4, City, Civic (), i10 1.2 and Etios in petrol and SX4, i20 and Etios in diesel.

One Civic owner (66k, VMT, 2007, CNG) asking 2.1 Lac is saying that he has done services from outside but with original parts as his friend works in Honda Service. I was anyway not interested in 2007 models but this raised doubts. Is there any other problem in Civic except GC and high maintenance? I am getting many lovely deals for 2010+ Civics, which makes City and SX4 feel overpriced.
The problem I faced when I was searching for my ride was that I did not find even a single car which did not have it's ODO tampered in Faridabad. I broadened my search to cars available in Delhi and Gurgaon. And figured out its same case everywhere. To quote few examples there was a car owned by NTPC director, it had 62 K on the ODO but when checked with Honda it was serviced at 1,37,000 2 months back. After few days I saw the same car on OLX with 39K Kms on the ODO this time. There is another car with a dealer in Faridabad. If you are going towards Ajronda you will find a Black Civic with Sunroof 2011 model HR 51 AM **** with 65K Kms on the ODO and asking price 5 Lac rupees however the car was serviced at Honda @ 109000 KMs. You can google Honda 121. Call up the number whenever you get a car and just ask them when was the car serviced last giving them the registration number and they will happily help you with the last service detail. To me it initially looked very interesting with so many Civics in the market with such low prices but all that glitters is not gold. Civic is a high maintenance car and not like other Japanese cars which are fill it shut it forget it types and the parts are expensive. To give you an idea the 40K Kms service on my car was for 16K rupees. About CNG it will run approx 110 - 120 KMs max in city on 10 KG Gas. Just get the car serviced on time and there should not be any problem with CNG. Get the ignition coils checked thoroughly before installing CNG Kit.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 09:55   #92
BHPian

Thanks nik0502. I will call up service centers to check for last service details (and any accident claims) but what if the owner had serviced it only till 45k km and thereafter got it serviced from outside? If the last service was done at 45k km at Honda and the car was run till 65k km in the next year and clocked back to 47k, I would not be able to do anything.

Since you said, and I also believe, that odo tampering and such is widespread in NCR, I think I should limit my search to individual sellers (whose name is on RC). There will be less chances of such fraud. Dealer cars are so tip top from outside (new plates, no scratch, gleaming, polished tyres, clean interiors) that I fall in love at first sight of the cars. All that glitters is not gold, correct. I think I will have to move out (instead of online search) and check cars on sale from individuals. There is a known person at MASS who keeps record (acts as an agent) of people who want to sell their car. I will approach him.

I must say searching in the pool of used cars is a very tiring experience, yet interesting for us enthusiasts. I have checked out a City AT and a Civic. One dealer (Carnation on Bypass road) claimed that an i10 had run 32k kms, but I checked further and found that the worn-out tyres were not stock ones. I checked the date of manufacture and it was early 2015 (it happened in late 2015), which meant that the car had covered 25-30k km that year. Called up a service centre and they said that the car had come for 60k km service in end 2014. Walked away! And thankfully the Carnation showroom has closed down now.

10-12 km/kg is not what I am looking for. This would mean an average cost of Rs. 4.2/km. I manage ~15 km/l in my Swift on an average, which means running cost of Rs. 4/km. Duster gives ~18km/l with an average running cost of Rs. 2.5/km. I am looking at close to 15-16 km/kg. Does that mean SX4 is also out from the list?
Old 7th February 2016, 02:25   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Thanks nik0502. I will call up service centers to check for last service details (and any accident claims) but what if the owner had serviced it only till 45k km and thereafter got it serviced from outside? If the last service was done at 45k km at Honda and the car was run till 65k km in the next year and clocked back to 47k, I would not be able to do anything.

Since you said, and I also believe, that odo tampering and such is widespread in NCR, I think I should limit my search to individual sellers (whose name is on RC). There will be less chances of such fraud. Dealer cars are so tip top from outside (new plates, no scratch, gleaming, polished tyres, clean interiors) that I fall in love at first sight of the cars. All that glitters is not gold, correct. I think I will have to move out (instead of online search) and check cars on sale from individuals. There is a known person at MASS who keeps record (acts as an agent) of people who want to sell their car. I will approach him.

I must say searching in the pool of used cars is a very tiring experience, yet interesting for us enthusiasts. I have checked out a City AT and a Civic. One dealer (Carnation on Bypass road) claimed that an i10 had run 32k kms, but I checked further and found that the worn-out tyres were not stock ones. I checked the date of manufacture and it was early 2015 (it happened in late 2015), which meant that the car had covered 25-30k km that year. Called up a service centre and they said that the car had come for 60k km service in end 2014. Walked away! And thankfully the Carnation showroom has closed down now.

10-12 km/kg is not what I am looking for. This would mean an average cost of Rs. 4.2/km. I manage ~15 km/l in my Swift on an average, which means running cost of Rs. 4/km. Duster gives ~18km/l with an average running cost of Rs. 2.5/km. I am looking at close to 15-16 km/kg. Does that mean SX4 is also out from the list?
Hey...

For your first query this is exactly why the service History is important. That tells you exactly the usage pattern of an individual. If a car is being driven 10k kms on an average every year and then you find its driven only 2 k kms in one year tells you that either the odo is tampered or the car changed the hands in last one year without the change in ownership of the vehicle. Though there could be other reasons too for example addition of a new car to garage. My Fiesta was driven only 7k kms in last 2.5 years of its ownership.

About SX4, it will be just fine. You can expact a range of 150 - 160 kms in city driving from 10kgs of gas. Maruti is really compatible and efficient with CNG. My esteem given me a range of 150 kms in city and 230 kms on highway from 7 kgs of CNG. Sent you a PM also.
Old 6th April 2016, 19:31   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
The problem I faced when I was searching for my ride was that I did not find even a single car which did not have it's ODO tampered in Faridabad. I broadened my search to cars available in Delhi and Gurgaon. And figured out its same case everywhere. To quote few examples there was a car owned by NTPC director, it had 62 K on the ODO but when checked with Honda it was serviced at 1,37,000 2 months back. After few days I saw the same car on OLX with 39K Kms on the ODO this time. There is another car with a dealer in Faridabad. If you are going towards Ajronda you will find a Black Civic with Sunroof 2011 model HR 51 AM **** with 65K Kms on the ODO and asking price 5 Lac rupees however the car was serviced at Honda @ 109000 KMs. You can google Honda 121. Call up the number whenever you get a car and just ask them when was the car serviced last giving them the registration number and they will happily help you with the last service detail. To me it initially looked very interesting with so many Civics in the market with such low prices but all that glitters is not gold. Civic is a high maintenance car and not like other Japanese cars which are fill it shut it forget it types and the parts are expensive. To give you an idea the 40K Kms service on my car was for 16K rupees. About CNG it will run approx 110 - 120 KMs max in city on 10 KG Gas. Just get the car serviced on time and there should not be any problem with CNG. Get the ignition coils checked thoroughly before installing CNG Kit.
Excellent points made about the tampered odo. It is indeed a reality with most used car dealers in NCR these days.
One thing that goes against a CNG Civic is that the already stunted boot(as compared to most) is used up even more. And laluks's civic maintenance thread on this forum also highlights how expensive repairs on a Civic might get.
Old 13th April 2016, 15:32   #95
BHPian

Hello All,

I am in the process of buying a ride in & around 7 lacs. Almost zeroed on jazz V variant although its a bit on the higher side of my budget, but came across a 2010 Toyota Corolla Altis with 82K on the odo, company vehicle & is being sold by Toyota showroom itself. Checked the service history with toyota service personal & the last service was done at 70K. No major defects apart from changing the rear disc brake after 10-12k kms. They are quoting 6.1 & after negotiations they came down to 5.6 along with pending 80k service. Is this a good enough deal to steal the beauty. Need inputs.
Old 13th April 2016, 16:16   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Hello All,

I am in the process of buying a ride in0 & around 7 lacs. Almost zeroed on jazz V variant although its a bit on the higher side of my budget, but came across a 2010 Toyota Corolla Altis with 82K on the odo, company vehicle & is being sold by Toyota showroom itself. Checked the service history with toyota service personal & the last service was done at 70K. No major defects apart from changing the rear disc brake after 10-12k kms. They are quoting 6.1 & after negotiations they came down to 5.6 along with pending 80k service. Is this a good enough deal to steal the beauty. Need inputs.
I would have gone for a new Jazz. A new car is a new car, there is no substitute for it.

A Toyota car is as reliable as it gets but be ready for the upcoming expenses (after the 80k km service) if you running is close to 10-12k km per year and you plan to keep the car for 5+ years. The price seems fine for a 2010 model. Check out if you are fine with the idea of a used car after spending a decent amount of cash.

A new car, on the other hand, would be dirt cheap to maintain for the first 5 or 6 years at least. Check out the Baleno (Base) or Grand i10 if the Jazz is out of budget.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 16:28   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Almost zeroed on jazz V variant although its a bit on the higher side of my budget, but came across a 2010 Toyota Corolla Altis with 82K on the odo, company vehicle & is being sold by Toyota showroom itself. Checked the service history with toyota service personal & the last service was done at 70K. No major defects apart from changing the rear disc brake after 10-12k kms. They are quoting 6.1 & after negotiations they came down to 5.6 along with pending 80k service.
Corolla are good for couple of hundred thousand Km's , its still in her prime age as far as mileage is concerned and nothing breaks on these cars. I am not aware of any expenses that come after high mileage as never had to spend apart from oil change.

Choosing new Zazz over Corolla will be a decision by heart - if you love its design and newness over anything else then it's the one you should go but if you think by brain and need a car to work / travel then Corolla will be a better option - no overheads like registration etc , haggle a bit more perhaps some kind of warranty that they can throw for 6 month to 1 year if possible for additional peace of mind.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 18:45   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I am in the process of buying a ride in & around 7 lacs. Almost zeroed on jazz V variant although its a bit on the higher side of my budget, but came across a 2010 Toyota Corolla Altis with 82K on the odo, company vehicle & is being sold by Toyota showroom itself. Checked the service history with toyota service personal & the last service was done at 70K. No major defects apart from changing the rear disc brake after 10-12k kms. They are quoting 6.1 & after negotiations they came down to 5.6 along with pending 80k service. Is this a good enough deal to steal the beauty. Need inputs.
I suppose it depends on what you want out of your car. The Corolla is bigger and more comfortable but service costs will be higher than a Jazz.
If your driving is primarily gridlocked city traffic, I would recommend the Jazz purely because it is a smaller, more practical car. Then again, my wife feels safer in a bigger car so she would take the Corolla over the Jazz in this case.
Assuming a difference of say 1.5 to 2 Lakhs between the Corolla and the Jazz, that should cover any additional maintenance you may encounter.
As much as I love the Jazz, I would have to say the Corolla makes more sense in this case
Old 14th April 2016, 04:23   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Though I would also vote for corolla against jazz just because it's bigger and 2 segments higher. However at the same time if I were you I would look for a low mileage car even if that means spending little more. I know corrollas are very robust and don't fail and 82 k kms is nothing for a corolla however it's not a rare car and you can easily find less run cars in the market by paying little extra. You get quite few cars with low odo which still has the new car feel and smell to it. And don't forget the extra peice of mind.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 10:56   #100
BHPian

Thanks Swift_guy for your valuable inputs. Have gone for a second test drive in the night yesterday & also did a thorough check of the service history. Wife backed up knowing that the average FE is around 7.2 for this as our ride is mostly in bumper to bumper traffic & doesnt make sense paying a bomb for monthly fuel bill. So back to Jazz for the moment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks