Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 14:29   #16

New Purchase vs PreOwned

Friends,

I have recently moved to bangalore and am looking to buy a car for daily use.

I have an existing 2002 Lancer 1.5 GLXi which i am planning to sell off (due to age, very high road taxes in bangalore, requirement to change Reg. #, RTO hassles involved etc)

My Budget is 2.5 - 3.5 L and i am looking for a mid size car. I will probably have to move again in another 2 to 3 yrs.

I am unable to decide if i should

1) buy a new small car and take it along with me later on (as the road taxes will be lower due to lower invoice price) or

2) get a preowned midsized car and sell it off after 2 to 3 years. (so looking for good resale)

3) Not waste the money and buy any crap preowned small car for under 1L and just dump it later on.

Any suggestions please? any which car (make/model/age) would you guys suggest in the given circumstances.

-ss
Old 12th May 2009, 15:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

In that range you can get decent :
1. honda City
2. baleno

If selling in a few years then you still have the comfort of a mid sized car and the loss at selling later is less.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakharamcool View Post
well it will be driven 98 percent in the city , traffic ,,will carry 2-3 people and a long journey almost next to none , so basically a complete city car ,,
Everything you said above + Mumbai Traffic = a small brand new top end car. By the way if it is going to be a hatch, which ones have you lined up in your shopping list.
Hey one more option: How's a used esteem + a brand new NANO?!!
Old 12th May 2009, 15:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest, keep the Lancer. She is a work horse. hassle free.
Regarding taxes etc, check with an agent and pay off a 2 year tax in Karnataka, saying you are on deputation for 2 years and then will go back to Delhi. Lancer is better than buying any second hand car for 1 lac.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsays View Post
Friends,
I have an existing 2002 Lancer 1.5 GLXi which i am planning to sell off
@singhsays: Why don't you advertise your Lancer on the T-Bhp market place section.
Old 12th May 2009, 17:03   #21

You mean i do not have to reregister (change the reg #) after 1 year ?

I might be wrong but my understanding from looking at the transport dept website and talking to locals is that i have to re register the vehicle with a KA number within 1 year of bringing it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I would suggest, keep the Lancer. She is a work horse. hassle free.
Regarding taxes etc, check with an agent and pay off a 2 year tax in Karnataka, saying you are on deputation for 2 years and then will go back to Delhi. Lancer is better than buying any second hand car for 1 lac.
Old 12th May 2009, 17:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
@singhsays: Why don't you advertise your Lancer on the T-Bhp market place section.
Thanks for the tip, doing that now.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsays View Post
Thanks for the tip, doing that now.
No problemo sirji, Don't forget the snaps.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakharamcool View Post
a new development , i just found out that my 6-2 frame cannot fit into the maruti esteem , so i am now looking for something that can fit my frame inside ,, i am thinking of MUVs and SUVs,, if anyone of you are above 6-2 please tell me what cars fit you correctly across all segments from small cars to SUVs .. thanks
I am 6 feet and 1.75 inches and also drive a wagon r, to your surprise i am much much more comfortable driving the wagon r than my qualis, it gives much more leg room. But if i keep the seat completly back then rear leg room is very less, so having two people is no problem, and if you have three then it would be best to make the third sit behind the passenger instead of you. Also the engine is good performance and fuel efficiency wise, i am using CNG and still no problems with anything other than reduced performance, also the running cost is Rs 1.5/Km, this is a aftermarket install as maruti gives LPG.

Overall wagon r is the best option other than sedans, if you are going for a second hand car then you can look in to many good sedans, like the OHC 1.3 or even the 1.5 and if you are lucky you can even get a vtec. Other than these you can get accent gls or crdi, ikon, and some good small cars like swift petrol and diesel, palio, etc.
Old 11th September 2014, 00:44   #25

Under 6-Lakhs : New Swift or old Corolla Altis?

Hi everybody. I'm new to tbhp and this is my first post. For the past 3months I'm regularly following tbhp forum. Reason being that at the moment I do not have any car.
I wish to buy one under 6lakhs. The options I have is either to buy a good hatchback(swift, i20, ford figo etc) or go for a good sedan( 2009-10 civic, corolla altis etc).
The doubts I have in mind are:
1. I dont wish to drive much in the city. (for daily travel I prefer the metro) My driving would be 70% highway. So, I would like to know which car should I prefer?
2. What would be the maintenance cost ( servicing, repairs etc and how often are the repairs reqd) of both the cars Say new swift and old corolla altis apart from the fuel if i drive 1200km pm.
3.Im a student so I would like minimal fuel costs. So is it advisable to get a cng kit fitted? What would be its cost and effect on car.
The cars that I had in mind were 2009 corolla altis(arnd 5lak) and about to launch swift vxi. All suggestions all welcome.
Thanks.
Old 11th September 2014, 02:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

re: Under 6-Lakhs : New Swift or old Corolla Altis?

The lateral upgrade thing is great ie a used corolla at the price of a new Swift however if you want to keep the car for a long duration say around 5 years then it would be better if you go in for a new car be it whatever model.

However if you plan to change cars in a year or two you can go ahead with a used one again whatever model.I was in same situation new vs used , went with used Civic.It did have a fair no of issues like power steering hose failure,steering rack leakage etc which proved expensive to fix and such issues would in general would have not cropped up in a new car.And i plan to keep it 5+ years so i had no choice but to go in for repairs.

My 2 cents.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 07:30   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbagga7 View Post

The doubts I have in mind are:

1. My driving would be 70% highway.

2. What would be the maintenance cost ( servicing, repairs etc and how often are the repairs reqd) of both the cars Say new swift and old corolla altis apart from the fuel if i drive 1200km pm.

3.Im a student so I would like minimal fuel costs. So is it advisable to get a cng kit fitted? What would be its cost and effect on car.
Since you plan to keep it for 5-6 years, is suggest a new car. If space is not a major concern or requirement, then go ahead and get the Swift. A nice car for a youngster that carries goats the zing! Handles well, reliable, decently cheap to maintain and fuel efficient too.

Do go ahead and buy the ZXi model that comes around 6.5L OTR, you may need to stretch your budget slightly. Reason I'm suggesting this is, seeing your usage of the car - The Highway! Safety features should not be neglected whatsoever.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th September 2014 at 07:50. Reason: typo!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 08:57   #28

@Sumeethaldnath
Sir, can u share what was the model and its cost. Also, what was the repair cost and maintenance? and are civic parts easily available in the market? How is the driving experience of the car?

@A4anurag
Sir, it would not be that easy to stretch the budget.
Also, many a folks say its not safe to drive a hatchback on highway. Is it just due to the absence of ABS and airbags or are there other reasons as well?

And sorry I forgot to mention. I would probably upgrade after 2.5-3 yrs .
Old 11th September 2014, 09:41   #29
BHPian

Major difference will be the maintenance cost. If you are able to find a well maintained civic/corolla, then it's fine otherwise you will end up spending a decent amount on replacement and repairs.

About the highway drives, as long as you are driving within the speed limits, both are perfect. Swift is a nice hatchback with good ride quality and decent suspension.

For a long run, I would advise a new swift, but you gotta keep in mind that driving a civic/corolla is very enjoyable as compared to a swift.

As long as you are OK with slightly higher maintenance and spare costs and are confident that you can procure a well maintained one, you can go for civic/corolla as well.

And about CNG conversion, get a nice sequential kit from a reputed workshop and you will be fine. In a sedan, you will have ample boot space even after installing a cylinder. You will definitely enjoy much lower running costs.
Old 11th September 2014, 10:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Purely on running costs the swift would be cheaper to run and maintain. It will give better mileage and the service and spares would be cheaper. Toyota service is not expensive but its parts are.
In terms of usage , the corolla would be far more comfortable , spacious and presumeable safer than the swift. Also the fact that the car is going to be used more on the highway I would like to be in a slightly bigger car which IMO is also a superior product to the swift.
Also the fact you wish to change the car after 3 odd years , it makes more sense to buy used. The depriciation hit has already been taken by the first owner. I would not recommend a cng kit.
All in all , find a nice used corolla and enjoy the comforts of a well built sedan at hatchback costs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks