Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 15:40   #91
BHPian

Re: Back pain - most comfortable car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lm View Post
Guys, bumping up this thread once again.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back and am therefore looking to upgrade from the sweet little Brio that I currently drive. Brio has a pretty stiff suspension so any C-segment sedan would be a great upgrade for me in terms of ride comfort. However, I'm specifically evaluating Yaris/Verna/City in that order, with Duster also being in contention just due to its brilliant suspension (I otherwise prefer sedan over SUV).

Is Duster still the best option for people with back pain? Or, would the above-mentioned sedans be good enough? Your thoughts please?
Hey, a couple of questions

1. Are you having any discomfort during ingress or egress from your vehicle? If yes, then any sedan would not be good, as it is a bit lower to the ground.
2. If you do not mind my asking, your physical structure would also determine the vehicle which would best suit you.

I state the above, because I moved on from a Figo to a TUV300, primarily due to lower back pain (specifically, L4, L5, L5S1). As the pain was in course of ingress and egress only, and due to being heavy built, I did not consider any on the sedans.

If you are considering the Duster, you can also consider the upcoming Mahindra XUV300 & Nissan Kicks. Also, do take a call if you want only an automatic and/or a manual. Based on that, the options might increase/reduce significantly.
Old 16th January 2019, 23:48   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
1. Are you having any discomfort during ingress or egress from your vehicle?
I'm currently not under any pain. I was diagnosed with an L4L5 disc prolapse back in 2017 and I've been able to get rid of the pain by way of following a strict exercise regimen.
Quote:
2. If you do not mind my asking, your physical structure would also determine the vehicle which would best suit you.
My height is on the shorter side- 5'4"- and I weigh in at ~62kgs.
Quote:
If you are considering the Duster, you can also consider the upcoming Mahindra XUV300 & Nissan Kicks.
As I indicated, my problem is that I'm more inclined towards sedans than SUVs (maybe due to my prejudice that SUVs may not suit my physique ). Having said that, I'll surely consider these upcoming launches too.
Quote:
Also, do take a call if you want only an automatic and/or a manual.
This is already decided- automatic it's gonna be for sure.
Old 14th March 2019, 16:23   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, bumping up this thread once again.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back and am therefore looking to upgrade from the sweet little Brio that I currently drive. Brio has a pretty stiff suspension so any C-segment sedan would be a great upgrade for me in terms of ride comfort. However, I'm specifically evaluating Yaris/Verna/City in that order, with Duster also being in contention just due to its brilliant suspension (I otherwise prefer sedan over SUV).

Is Duster still the best option for people with back pain? Or, would the above-mentioned sedans be good enough? Your thoughts please?
The Duster is clearly crude and outdated by today’s standards. However, its ride quality is the best this side of 10 lakhs. It will be a better option to buy it used as putting 10 lakh for a new Duster is unjustifiable when you are considering the sedans. The AWD version even has an independent rear suspension (if I am not wrong).
balderash_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 13:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Speaking of sedans, I would even suggest to try out a Vento, what with the firmer ride and suspension providing a good support. And since you prefer to drive the car yourself majority of the times, this car can offer you the driving delight as well in this segment.
Last but not the least, there's the lovely DSG present on it, to go along with your other preference of wanting an automatic.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 01:38   #95
CDM
BHPian

Get a Corolla. If budget doesn't permit a new one, get a used one. I have both - multiple herniated discs and a Corolla Altis AT. Easy ingress and egress and very comfortable ride. I also have an Accord which is more comfortable when you are actually in the car but ingress and egress can be troublesome.

CDM
CDM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 18:27   #96
Senior - BHPian

Bumping an old thread. Just wondering why aren't XUV5OO, Scorpio, Bolero or Innova not part of suggestions here.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:48   #97
BHPian

So here it goes. After terrible travel for years, I landed up in India with a slipped disc -l1,2. At the time I had a 2010 Ford Figo TDCI. An amazing car focused on handling and fun to drive aspect. The hard clutch on the diesel made me cry in pain while driving and literally. I decided enough was enough and picked up a Nano automatic and I love this car to pieces. The seating height for a 6 footer me, ability to go over potholed roads in Bangalore is just superlative and yeah it's an auto box. Since I started using this car 4.5yrs back absolutely no pain. Yes, once in a while I would drive my Hyundai Verna Transform petrol manual. No pain whatsoever. Then came in my Creta manual.Brilliant. I've doing multiple trips from Bangalore to Goa, Trichy, Thanjavur, Chennai etc etc. this my friend is perfect. Super comfortable for my back, not inched a bit of lower back pain and is incidentally the car I normally use for the highway runs. Absolutely zilch pain and yes it's a manual. The Nano and the Creta still remains. The Verna was sold and then I got my Tin foil City 5 months back. It's a petrol manual. The clutch is harder than the butter soft Creta no doubt and super fun to fly on the highway due to its tin foil material and weight. But, I didn't feel it to be as comfy to d I've on the highway perhaps because of its low seating. Net net I would swear by the Creta even if manual, having tried, driven and currently own a mini suv(Nano), a sedan(City), a pseudo suv(Creta). My going in position will definitely be the Nano - it gave me a new lease of life with his comfort, ease to drive in the city, not an iota of pain and is my daily driver. Creta is super too for city drive and you want to consider. My wife loves the City. Not sure if this confused you and perhaps added any value. Ingress with sedans is and will be an issue due to its low stance. It's a massive investment you will make. Be 100% sure if the car you buy.
akshays is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 02:23   #98
BANNED

As you said you have a problem with your back, I will suggest a sedan and not an SUV. SUVs have mostly rugged suspensions and are not usually good at ride comfort. A sedan is meant for better ride comfort.

Hence you can go for the City, Ciaz or Verna. These are very comfortable cars. If u are on a low budget then Dzire or Amaze.

Mod Note: Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th May 2020 at 14:00. Reason: Mod Note inline
aamirbhat is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th May 2020, 13:28   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshays View Post
So here it goes. After terrible travel for years, I landed up in India with a slipped disc -l1,2.... Creta is super too for city drive and you want to consider.
I am a survivor of two slip discs which occurred together about 15 years back. Was bed ridden with mascular atrophy setting in on one foot. But eventually recovered due to grace of god and good therapy. Yes without surgery.

During these 15 years with this back problem history, I have driven in the following vehicles: -
(a) Hyundai Santro Xing
(b) Honda City (both the automatic and manual)
(c) Swift DZire ZDi
(d) Mahindra Jeep (sparingly)
(e) Hyundai Creta SX(O)

Of all the above, I have found Creta to be the most comfortable and obviously Jeep the worst w.r.t backache considerations. Creta's seat adjustment features helps to fine tune the thigh support also. City's auto is also very good. DZire was also fine with me and I have driven around extensively in that.
bimal_67 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 07:35   #100
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I currently drive a BMW 3 series and last year I've been diagnosed with L5-S1 Disc Bulge causing severe lower back pain which is increasing with time (I took it seriously just recently and started a strict exercise regimen).

Doctor says the major problem is the car itself as it has very low driving position and suggests to STOP DRIVING immediately (which is practically not possible for my lifestyle & business - rather we agreed on reducing drastically) & shift to an SUV or a Crossover which has a high driving position. And now my entire family wants me to change the car and go for an SUV. Now I'm totally confused what to do:

Can anyone confirm if Sedans & their Low Driving Position really causes/aggravates the lower back pain? Especially that extremely low slung BMW 3 Series combined with a serious problem like mine?

If so, I'd sell my car and looking for the following alternatives:

- Ford Endeavour (Used or New)
- BMW x1 or X3 (Used)
- Drive our XUV 500 which is in our garage
- Any other Alternatives in New or Used ones below 25 lacs?

If no, I'd like to keep this car itself. Literally, no car can replace this 3 series for me.

Please help. Thanks in Advance
Old 11th June 2020, 07:51   #101
BHPian

Hi Madhav, I can totally relate to your pain. Perhaps common is a low seated car albeit a humbler one - Ford Figo 1.4TDCI. Shooting pain in then back would make me yell while driving and I had enough and decided to part ways with it. Outstanding car and fun to drive till I landed up with my slipped disc. Now that I had enough, picked up a Nano XTA automatic and love it to bits- read my ownership review and that will give you a view of the comfort. Hell no, I do not ask of you to downgrade to a Nano from a Beamer. But then I got a Creta manual as well. Have driven it considerably clocking about 700kms a day over the highway and internal city roads.

This is one car I would vouch will take care of your back despite being a manual. My City is low slung and mostly driver driven but I find the Creta way more comfortable. Let me tell you since I got my Nano and subsequently the Creta l had no pain whatsoever. In general I would go for a Petrol SUV since the clutch is way lighter and impresses the back else go the auto route and you won't complain ever. If you do want to downgrade though, give me a shout, my Nano clocking 14k kms in 4.5yrs is up for sale. Yes, it's an automatic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2020 at 09:15. Reason: Splitting into paras for better readability. Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:46   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
- Drive our XUV 500 which is in our garage
no car can replace this 3 series for me.
Sorry to hear about your health problem. Drive the XUV500 for few weeks, if it helps, then you need to consider any other SUV. Unless you are looking for a change otherwise

There are some good examples of past generation X5 around 40-50 Lac. If I have to sell my 3 series, it will be my pick over a new X1. If you don't want to go pre-owned route, consider an X3.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th June 2020 at 08:51.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 09:34   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hello Guys,

Doctor says the major problem is the car itself as it has very low driving position and suggests to STOP DRIVING immediately (which is practically not possible for my lifestyle & business - rather we agreed on reducing drastically) & shift to an SUV or a Crossover which has a high driving position. And now my entire family wants me to change the car and go for an SUV. Now I'm totally confused what to do:

Can anyone confirm if Sedans & their Low Driving Position really causes/aggravates the lower back pain? Especially that extremely low slung BMW 3 Series combined with a serious problem like mine?
Hello Madhav. I have been suffering from a lower back pain very similar to yours for quite some time. Initially, I also assumed that a low slung car creates major issues. However, when my back pain was at its peak, I was coincidentally on the lookout for a new car (my erstwhile Swift was around 7 years old then). I did many test drives of various vehicles, including compact SUVs and realized that it has very little to do with whether the car is a sedan or a hatchback or an SUV - it has to do with the seat structure of that particular car and whether it provides good contouring and lower back support.

I ultimately picked up a 2019 Honda City, and I have found the front seats to be supremely comfortable and very supportive for the lower back. Contrary to popular belief or conjecture, just because it is a sedan does not mean that it is uncomfortable for my back or aggravates back pain - in fact, far from it. I find the car and driving position to be very comfortable.

Hence, the theory that lower sedans are universally better than SUVs does not hold water in my view. It is more to do with the seat build. Do test drives of various vehicles and figure out which one works best, whether it is SUV or sedan. Just take break in between of driving, every 45 mins of being in the seat. It is important to stretch your back periodically when driving. There is no such requirement to stop driving, and I speak from experience.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 11th June 2020 at 09:38.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 09:50   #104
Senior - BHPian

Hello all
Even I have lower back pain due to L5 S1 gap enhancement and I was not able to drive car for even 1 hour continuously

I usually do not fall prey to ads and products claims. But this coccyx seat cushion was very logical to reduce back pain while driving

I purchased and started driving. I could drive almost 5 hours and still did not get pain

After using it for a year or so, i can confidently say, it reduces the pain and yields results since the impact of bumps are not transferred to tail bone.

So see if you can also benefit from this product.

Changing car because of back pain is a big investment. But adding this seat accessory and getting the required comfort is just a small investment and worth experimenting.

Disclaimer: I am not marketing this product but just wanted to help people who are suffering back pain

Last edited by gkveda : 11th June 2020 at 09:54.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 21:40   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
So see if you can also benefit from this product.

Changing car because of back pain is a big investment. But adding this seat accessory and getting the required comfort is just a small investment and worth experimenting.

Disclaimer: I am not marketing this product but just wanted to help people who are suffering back pain
Sure, will definitely check it out. Thank You.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I did many test drives of various vehicles, including compact SUVs and realized that it has very little to do with whether the car is a sedan or a hatchback or an SUV - it has to do with the seat structure of that particular car and whether it provides good contouring and lower back support.
Hence, the theory that lower sedans are universally better than SUVs does not hold water in my view. It is more to do with the seat build.
Thank You. That's a little reassuring. Because honestly, for my current budget, there is no logical upgrade to my current car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Drive the XUV500 for few weeks, if it helps, then you need to consider any other SUV.
Was just trying. Getting pain even in the XUV. Hence, almost ruling it out.
Quote:
Unless you are looking for a change otherwise
My first choice would be keeping this car for another year, if possible. As a fellow petrolhead, you know how much we all love the 3. Can't really get bored of it soon.
Quote:
There are some good examples of past generation X5 around 40-50 Lac. If I have to sell my 3 series, it will be my pick over a new X1. If you don't want to go pre-owned route, consider an X3.
Sadly, my budget is max 25 lacs, given the current situation

And I actually prefer the pre-owned route, given my tendency to change cars every 1-2 years.
madhav14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks