Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 01:22   #1
BHPian

Back pain - most comfortable car

Hi Everyone
Wife has some back pain so want to buy a car with best driving comfort. Would be either driven by her or by a driver.
If the drivability comfort is the most important priority, please suggest which car should I go for. Looking for a car upto 10L. I would ideally like to buy an SUV, because already own Swift petrol.

Please suggest which car should I go for in the following categories:
1. Among hatchbacks: Wife doesn't like to drive big cars around in city. I heard fabia and palio have good suspension. I already own swift which has a pretty hard suspension. How much better are fabia/palio than swift
2. Among SUVs: Heard that safari is the best among big cars. How is the driving experience.

Thanks
Anand
Old 9th July 2008, 09:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

since you want a big car im going to have to suggest the innova. it is the most car like to drive between itself, the safari, and the scorpio.

also the ride quality comes in second after the safari but it has much less body roll.

in 10l you might be able to get an innova g4.

the best thing to do would be to take her to td the innova and the safari and then decide whether she finds them easy enough to drive.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:51   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Safari - extremely comfy - very good front seats with special adjustment for lower back, height adjustable seat etc etc - she might however find it a bit too big for normal regular city usage/ parking etc.
Innova - very comfy also but a bit big for normal regular city usage/ parking etc.
Driver Driven means you wont have any trouble with the above because driver will take away the stress and your wife can enjoy the comfort - she will prefer the front seats in this case though unless you get the top end variant of Innova which has captain seats.

In case of a car, then why not consider the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla (new one around the corner), Honda City (new one around the corner), SX4 or even the Skoda Laura - all these are very comfy cars for people of regular height and build.

Between fabia and swift, there is not much difference in the rear seat according to me - I am 6ft plus in height so back seat is not preferred.
Palio also.Fabia and Palio however feel much tougher and more solid than the Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap9dm View Post
Hi Everyone
Wife has some back pain so want to buy a car with best driving comfort. Would be either driven by her or by a driver.
If the drivability comfort is the most important priority, please suggest which car should I go for. Looking for a car upto 10L. I would ideally like to buy an SUV, because already own Swift petrol.

Please suggest which car should I go for in the following categories:
1. Among hatchbacks: Wife doesn't like to drive big cars around in city. I heard fabia and palio have good suspension. I already own swift which has a pretty hard suspension. How much better are fabia/palio than swift
2. Among SUVs: Heard that safari is the best among big cars. How is the driving experience.

Thanks
Anand
Old 9th July 2008, 12:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

How about the Optra ? I think it has a pretty comfortable ride
Old 9th July 2008, 12:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

While choosing a vehicle, the best judge is the person itself, as different people have different kind of back pain.
For example take the safari. Extremely comfortable seat, but if somebody has upper back condition combined with neck issues, engaging first gear puts a lot of strain, esp if the person's height is short. This is because of long throw.
In your wife's case make her drive the Getz/Santro. I have driven both these cars and they offer extremely comfortable drivers seat, and the gear level throw is minimal.
But you own a swift already, hence hatchback may not be ideal.
Next option is the Scorpio/Safari.
I suggest you let her take an extended test drive through stop and go traffic where there is lots of half clutch and accelerator movement.
The reason is that back pain is often radiating to legs. If the pedal position is awkward, it will lead to discomfort.
Also make sure she is wearing the kind of clothes and footwear she normally does when she takes the test drive. Shoes, esp with thick soles can easily mask ergonomical deficiencies.
For example I drive an indica, with shoes the pedal position is right, but if I wear slip ons or chappals and drive in traffic, my ankle starts aching because of the high position of the accelerator pedal.
So just having a comfortable seat may not be enough. Atmost it will help on long drives in top gear. But for normal city driving, always take an extended test drive.
Also make sure you are taking TD with the trim level you want to buy.
Lets say you TD a safari EX with height adjustment on drivers seat, but are buying a LX, Its entirely possible that in the EX your wife can adjust the seat to a height which suits her, but that position is no available in the LX at all.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

doesn't like to drive big cars around in city. I heard fabia and palio have good suspension. I already own swift which has a pretty hard suspension. How much better are fabia/palio than swift

Thanks
Anand
Safari and Innova are big car IMO.

Palio and Fabia have better suspension than Swift. Fabia ride is one of the best. If the car is going to be used mostly in city then Fabia is a good vehicle. For highway driving, Fabia does not have sufficient grunt, however for city its OK.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ingress/Egress should be easy and hence Innova/Fusion/Santro/i10.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:19   #8
BHPian

Anand, its best that you and your wife take test drives of every vehicle that you have shortlisted. Only then can you and your wife determine whats best for her comfort level.

We have had people claim on the forums that the Safari offers seating comfort at levels of a Merc. C Class and many concur with this fact. But as we know, every person has individual requirements and needs. You can only determine whats best for you after you have experienced it. So go on, book your self a test drive. I also suggest to you that you test drive the variant that you plan to buy as only then will you be able to make a proper and honest judgement. For example, the LX Safari does not come with height adjustable seats whereas the EX and VX does.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

As far as driving position and ergonomics is concerned, nothing comes close to a Cedia. Decent comfy seat, perfect position for the gear lever and steering wheel, super light controls (this is a huge plus trust me) and a breeze to drive in the city.

However rear seat is not that great.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 9th July 2008 at 13:22.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Take an extended TD of all the vehicles that you have shortlisted. Then decide on the vehicle to buy which should be more comfortable to your wife. IMO, for SUVs, you can look into Innova, Safari and Scorpio.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Anand
Anand, Why can't you try Getz prime1.3 if ergonomics,self driven and suspension are really important..
Old 9th July 2008, 14:05   #12
BHPian

I have an Optra Magnum and the ergonomics are extremely good. Earlier I had a Tata Indigo which really didn't help my back (as I also suffered from backpain). I drive about 30kms one way everyday, and with the Optra Magnum my drive has become a lot more comfortable.

Among the hatchbacks, I would try the Fabia. Heard that the drive is really comfortable in it.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

With that budget it should be the INnova with pilot seats at the middle row.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:46   #14
BHPian

i would suggest Innova, it can be self driven and also Chauffeur driven. once you get used to it you wont feel that big car picture in your mind.
Old 9th July 2008, 15:01   #15
BHPian

Innova has a taxi image and I am sure no woman would like to drive it daily. Atleast my wife would kill me if I ask her to drive a taxi daily

Most Viewed