Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 12:28   #31
BHPian

My friend, I never commented that the original poster has got it wrong in saying that the Scorpio does or does not have weak brakes. Allk I said was that this was for the first time that I have heard someone complain about it and that is why I asked other Scorpio owners to confirm the same. I don't know what offended you.

About the body roll and other matters related to the Safari, can you please let me and others on the forum know as to which version of the Safari has this problem. At this juncture, I ask all other Safari owners on the forum to please come forward with their view on the issue.

About the Santro too, I request other members to respond as I have never sat in the rear seat of the Santro as I have only driven or sat in the front passenger seat of the family Santro we have for he last 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
You have gotten all wrong & need to get your facts right.
Ask anyone scorpio has poor braking & fades quickly & santro has bumpy ride in the back.
You are talking about safari, its a pathetic vehicle to say the least, for getting in one has to climb. It has excessive body roll also. so, please place your facts right before asking others to do so . & dont go on post count for lack of knowledge.
This is uncalled for. Anyways, if you feel that I am posting here for the sole purpose of increasing my post count, I welcome you to report my posts to the mods and let them decide if the post was made to increase the post count. Mods, please delete my posts or make my post count zero if there is any such post that I may have made.

Quote:
Another thing about safari is that its unsafe & not crash worthy, apart from the fact that its in no way modern, overweight & full of niggling problems. So, risking life & saving the back is not an intelligent preposition.
Buy a car thats a complete package & dont just go in for 1 feature only. The bad parts come to the fore once you start living with it.
If you dont want a hatchback, CEDIA is the next best bet.
You definitely need to get your facts right here. As far as I know, the 2.2 was made to undergo crash tests and complaint under European norms! Will the Safari owners please confirm this for me.
Old 10th July 2008, 13:22   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
first time that I have heard someone complain about it and that is why I asked other Scorpio owners to confirm the same. I don't know what offended you.
Braking has been the bane of scorpio for such a long time. People have been complaining ever since, wonder how you missed!

Quote:
About the body roll and other matters related to the Safari, can you please let me and others on the forum know as to which version of the Safari has this problem. At this juncture, I ask all other Safari owners on the forum to please come forward with their view on the issue.
All versions of safari have body roll, its a high vehicle & the inherent ladder on frame chassis is to be blamed for this. Apart from this people with back pain, usually get nausiatic very soon in a high ground clearance vehicle. Safari with its body roll is bound to inc. this too.

Quote:
About the Santro too, I request other members to respond as I have never sat in the rear seat of the Santro as I have only driven or sat in the front passenger seat of the family Santro we have for he last 4 years.
Go through any auto mag. & youll get the truth, santros ride is bumpy.

Quote:
This is uncalled for. Anyways, if you feel that I am posting here for the sole purpose of increasing my post count, I welcome you to report my posts to the mods and let them decide if the post was made to increase the post count. Mods, please delete my posts or make my post count zero if there is any such post that I may have made.
You got it wrong, I said that dont take less no. of posts for lack of knowledge. This was in reply to what you said " get your facts right" . mine were right, maybe you thought im a newbie & so the wrong facts.

Quote:
You definitely need to get your facts right here. As far as I know, the 2.2 was made to undergo crash tests and complaint under European norms! Will the Safari owners please confirm this for me.
Its a totaly unsafe vehicle, ive seen so many of its accidents & the occupants never survived. The platform of the car has not gone in for any type of change since the time of its inception. Again you are telling me to get facts right, is something wrong with you or what? Safari has a lot of bulk , but that does not translate into safety.
Old 10th July 2008, 13:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I apologize for the above. I thought you were blaming me for trying to increase my post count but you were not. You meant that I should not take your low post count for inexperience. Sorry once again. No offence was intended.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:09   #34
BHPian

Got great feedback from everyone. I realized the important considerations while buying a car:
1. Car with lumbar support - if this doesn't come by default can I get it added later
2. Adjustable seats etc - however I would rather how her take my swift than the safari when the driver is not around.

So its either going to be Safari - driver maintained so not much headache for me.
If not Safari, then it will mostly be the new Corolla.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own an innova & let me tell you it has good handling but not so good ride. Safari has a good ride , but climbing in it is a chore & moreover innova & safari being so huge are not ideal for ladies driving.
It is supposed to be driven and not pushed around or carried on head. A power steering is there , if it is huge it is huge for men as well. A few inches of hight difference and few kg more in human body weight does not make much of difference. So if need is of big SUV for near offroad or offroad Safari is the only choice and for city/highway innova

Quote:
A saloon has the best ride of all & an SUV or MUV. cant match that. But as a saloon is not in your wishlist, I would suggest you the next best thing & that is the SKODA FABIA. German cars have best ride comfort & skoda though a czech. company, is now under VW.
Suggest to do some search on spare parts cost of Skoda and reliability before even you suggest Skoda , By the way Skoda cars in Europe are priced a notch below other brands at bottom of pyramid such as Ford , Hyundai and other consider inferior.
Fiat sells almost in same price bracket as VW in Europe.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2008 at 11:07. Reason: No personal attacks please
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:19   #36
BANNED

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
It is supposed to be driven and not pushed around or carried on head. A power steering is there , if it is huge it is huge for men as well. A few inches of hight difference and few kg more in human body weight does not make much of difference. So if need is of big SUV for near offroad or offroad Safari is the only choice and for city/highway innova
Do you know the basic diff. between a man & a woman? Men are more muscular & can do harder jobs. Women usually need light & nimble cars & not behemoths like Safari. Moreover how many women do offroading in India, only handful ! & for that too Safari is not an ideal offroader.

Quote:
Suggest to do some search on spare parts cost of Skoda and reliability before even you suggest Skoda , By the way Skoda cars in Europe are priced a notch below other brands at bottom of pyramid such as Ford , Hyundai and other consider inferior.
Fiat sells almost in same price bracket as VW in Europe.
From where is this coming? Plenty of people buy & suggest Skoda. We are talking about India & Skoda cars here are fairly reliable.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2008 at 11:07. Reason: No personal attacks please
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
i would suggest Innova, it can be self driven and also Chauffeur driven. once you get used to it you wont feel that big car picture in your mind.
I recently traveled in an innova. For a vehicle with so much space inside, it doesnt really has very comfortable middle row seat. while there is more than adequate legroom, the under-thigh support is not great and seating position is very upright. I am benchmarking with a rear seat of NHC which has deep seat base and good recline for the backrest.
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Stop comparing abilities of driving based on gender. There are lot of expert women drivers around with huge sedans or SUVs. They handle those vehicles so well. With the latest technology and advanced driving aids, there is no special vehicle made based on gender.

Coming to the thread topic: A back pain has nothing to do with the size of the car or price of the vehicle. Even a small Maruti 800 can be comfortable for a person if you do a little bit of extra upholsery works (extra padding on seats with perfect covering).

Speaking about the suspension and other features that are related to the driving comfort: to each his/her own comfort. I have used an Audi A8 for over 2 years as the company car. I owned a Corolla (2003 model) and moved around over 5000 kilometers before selling it. I have gone long trips from Muscat to Dubai (550 kilometers) on a Honda Civic, Toyota Echo (an economical hit model in Oman) and an Evo 7 at various occasions. Also happend to be going weekend trips on BMW 5 & 7 series, Audis, Lancers, Gallants, Land Rovers, Ford Explorer and many others (owned by different collegues in the same office).

I had terrible back pain on some of the most expensive cars, trust me, its from real experience. My sister owns a Skoda octy and a BMW 7 series in Bangalore. They had only a Maruti Zen 4 years back. She suffers terrible back pain since many years, has gone through many treatments like Japan Bed and many such craps. Whenever she travels in the BMW for over 10 kms, she starts getting terrible back pain and even vomits. Now you experts tell me, is it because of the suspension ? A car worth 1.25 crores has a bad suspension ? No comfortable seats ? How she never has any back pain nor vomiting sensation if I take her in my Wagon R through any bad road ?

So here goes my 2 cents: Dont judge or finalise a car/SUV from user reviews and good/bad comments. Test it yourself, feel the vehicle, turn it around your palm and scrutinize if its matching what you actually need. We cant buy a car every year (unless you get a new one every year from the company).

PS: All whatever is posted here is from very personal experience, no debates, no arguements intended.
Old 22nd August 2008, 23:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know the basic diff. between a man & a woman? Men are more muscular & can do harder jobs. Women usually need light & nimble cars & not behemoths like Safari. Moreover how many women do offroading in India, only handful ! & for that too Safari is not an ideal offroader.
Driving a bigger vehicle is not any harder then driving a small hatch ,
For record my wife drives my safari and in her village farm she has even driven a tractor just for fun. I am not arguing on which vehicle but choice of vehicle is based on requirement not on gender.

Also a large majority of undernourished cleaners / mechanics / fitters and drivers of bus / truck are around 5.5 feet smaller and less muscular then many women.

Quote:
From where is this coming? Plenty of people buy & suggest Skoda. We are talking about India & Skoda cars here are fairly reliable.
This is coming from fact that somehow you perceive that Skoda is owned by a German company hence better in quality , I just wrote what I saw in Germany from my own eyes. by same yardstick Jaguar and landrover should be now of bad quality as it is owned by Tata

Lot many people are being fleeced by Skoda in india by premium pricing that does not mean it is necessarily best in that price bracket.

Quote:
Yes , all of them, who are you to ask? Its better you do your own job!
well still if you suggest 8 lakh+ underpowered fabia to some one then I would call it a case of deliberate misguidance.
Old 22nd August 2008, 23:58   #40
BHPian

I recommend the Honda City AT. Not much of body movement to shift. And a very comfortable stance and suspension.
Must test drive! (Although, all dealers donot have this readily available for test drive)
Old 25th August 2008, 20:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:

This is coming from fact that somehow you perceive that Skoda is owned by a German company hence better in quality , I just wrote what I saw in Germany from my own eyes. by same yardstick Jaguar and landrover should be now of bad quality as it is owned by Tata

Lot many people are being fleeced by Skoda in india by premium pricing that does not mean it is necessarily best in that price bracket.

well still if you suggest 8 lakh+ underpowered fabia to some one then I would call it a case of deliberate misguidance.
amitk26:
Skoda is not just owned by a German company but it shares a lot (including the spares) with VW and Audi. Skodas are having a premium tag here because no other company offers cars which will match the Skoda's build quality & performance in their respective classes.

If a jaguar/landrover comes with a Indica gearbox ... (Come on, I don't even want to imagine that).

Fabia is not underpowered mate. Don't go with the magazine review. Try it yourself.

Regards
Mahesh S
Old 25th August 2008, 21:27   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Driving a bigger vehicle is not any harder then driving a small hatch ,For record my wife drives my safari and in her village farm she has even driven a tractor just for fun. I am not arguing on which vehicle but choice of vehicle is based on requirement not on gender.
Bigger vehicle is difficult to manouver in City traffic & congested areas. Safaris controls are heavy, ergonomics are poor & if it'll do good to the back, it'll spoil the neck or ankles. We are not thinking of your wife alone , but taking a wide view across women. Do you know , girls in their childhood play with dolls , but do boys also? No, they have their own favourite toys ! & the basic difference.

Quote:
Also a large majority of undernourished cleaners / mechanics / fitters and drivers of bus / truck are around 5.5 feet smaller and less muscular then many women.
How many women in India have you seen doing these jobs?

Quote:
Skoda's as a brand has improved a lot & there are plenty of happy Skoda owners in India & many are members of this forum. They will better explain Skodas quality to you, after which you can go on & suggest Skoda to other people.

Quote:
You are missinformed about Skoda, I'll suggest you first go through numerous threads about Skoda , before further replying & clear your mind.
Also the the thread was dormant for more than a month & the topic starter hasnt put up any queries, so there was no actual need to start posting in it.

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2008 at 11:47. Reason: Anymore and it is time for the infractions. Pay attention to our warnings
Old 26th August 2008, 10:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

BHP1 : We agree to disagree here; you can hold your views about what women can do or not and I will not discuss any further with you on this topic.

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2008 at 11:48. Reason: Removing quoted post that was deleted eventually
Old 26th August 2008, 17:19   #44
BHPian

I suggest to buy a car which you like. And customize the seat according to your need.
The car you buy should have the following characters.

1. Tall boy for easy get in and out.
2. Tilt adjustable steering (not very important)
3. Height adjustable seats/ tall seat
4. Most importantly it should handle the bad road in a good manner.

Customize the seat which you use often use. Make sure that you approach a good modifier. Adjustable lumbar support will be a real boon.

Regards
Mahesh S
Old 11th September 2008, 20:15   #45
BHPian

Among the SUVs (or MUVs), i would choose the Innova G4 diesel, next would come the Scorpio mHawk. Both these cars are good, but the innova cores better on the comfort front. I would strongly recommend you against the Safari, even though it is undubtedly the most comfortable SUV, as it being a Tata vehicle is known to be plauged with a lott of niggling issues, besides flimsy build and quality. Most of the safari people i know have nightmares aboujt heir car's reliability in the long run !

As for a hatchback, i would recommend the Fabia, it is undoubtedly the most comfortable hatchback, which oozes quality and refinement, albeit a bit expensive. Next comes the i10, whcih in my opinion is a great car and very comfortable too. Just my 2 cents !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks