Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 12:01   #1
BHPian

The Hunt begins now...Budget between 5 to 8 lacs

I sold my 2001 Lancer SLXi yesterday.

Here are the requirements for my next car. I am also prepared to wait for a few months (my motorcyle will ferry me around until such time), if there are fresh products coming to our shores in the near future.

1. Budget = Wide range, anywhere between 5 to 8 lacs (OTR)
2. Current and estimated future running = Anywhere between 800 to 1200 kms per month (city + highway included). There is atleast one super long trip every year, to the tune of 1000+ kms.
3. Fuel type = Preferably petrol, but I am game for a diesel too (provided my running justifies the initial price premium).
4. Transmission = Preferably Manual, but auto-boxes will not be ruled out if they are competent and do not bring down FE considerably.
5. Type = Hatchback or saloon, open to both options
6. Condition = Preferably New, but I am not averse to a good condition Used one

Other key parameters like Safety, Performance, FE are also top of the lists. Would not want to compromise on any of the said parameters. I trust, modern-day automobiles can offer a right mix of Performance and FE at the same time, hence both clauses are in the same breath! Another thing is that if I get a new car, I'll keep it for atleast 4-5 years. A used car will go in less than 3, for sure :-).

Following are the options that come to me mind upfront (in no particular order of importance):

1. Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 Sport:
The original hot-hatch of India is still available, but I suspect it might go out soon. I visited B U Bhandari yesterday. Twice I asked about the longevity of the production of this model and the sales guy kept dilly-dallying. He also said, only Formula Red color is available, that too with a wait period of 3-5 weeks. The Ranjangaon plant is packed with the Linea and the Punto production. Looks like this is going the Ford Fusion way! But he said I could get one, if interested.

2. Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion PK:
There are rumours of a 1.3 VGT making its way in the Punto soon, remains to be seen when. Should I wait?

3. Fiat Punto 1.4 FIRE Emotion PK:
The 1.4 T-Jet is also rumoured to be on its way! More dilemma!

4. Ford Fiesta 1.6 S:
T-BHPians love this car, isn't it! I like the Aquaris Blue so much so that I feel like walking into the Ford showroom and booking it straightaway, but impulse is not good with a new car purchase, I suppose. Another thing, will this come under 8 L OTR? Any discounts on offer in the festive period?

5. Maruti Suzuki Swift DDis vDi ABS:
I've read about this pocket rocket a lot. Is it a guaranteed long-termer? Maybe, owners may give some idea. I don't mind being just another face in the crowd (with so many Swifts around!) as long as I get what I want from my car.

6. Mitsubishi Cedia Sports (Used):
This would be a logical upgrade from the Lancer, me thinks. But its tough to find a used Cedia in Pune, there are a few in Mumbai but I prefer to go for a used Pune vehicle only. It won't fetch much resale too, after 2-3 years of usage!

7. Toyota Corolla H2 (Used 2004-2006 make):
Reliable, decent performance in its class, long-termer, fuel efficient. Only that it looks a tad boring to me! If I can live with the looks, this would be a good car to drive for 2-3 years and fetch a decent resale. I also learn (from a used-car dealer) that the spares are not overtly expensive.

Am I on the right track guys? Are there other options that are worth considering? Need your opinions,

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 20th September 2009 at 12:03. Reason: text addition/editing
Old 20th September 2009, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your list is dominated by driver's cars. Maybe you could consider a used Honda Civic M/T as well in your budget. You should be able to find a '06/early '07 in about 8L.
Old 20th September 2009, 12:43   #3
BHPian

HI Wanderlust! I would suggest you to not look at the Palio Stile 1.6 Sport since it is a very old model and may be phased out in the next 5 years that you plan to keep it though must say this is one enthusiastic car.

I think the Linea may also be within your budget, you could consider that as well.

My suggestion would be a Ford Fiesta 1.6S/Sxi. It's fun to drive it around and the interiors are also pretty nice.

Cedia is also a nice car but as you said it is difficult to find a used Cedia in Pune also a used Cedia may be one that has been driven around a little too enthusiastically so I would rather avoid a second hand one and rather go for a new Fiesta 1.6S/Sxi.
Old 20th September 2009, 13:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wait for the Polo. It should be a great buy and is in your range.
Old 20th September 2009, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

How about the Honda Jazz?
Its got almost everything you need, and its a kind of car that you won't miss the space of the Sedan and on top of that the convenience of driving a hatchback.
Engine is bulletproof and reliability - being a Honda is top notch!
Old 20th September 2009, 14:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I sold my 2001 Lancer SLXi yesterday.

4. Ford Fiesta 1.6 S:
T-BHPians love this car, isn't it! I like the Aquaris Blue so much so that I feel like walking into the Ford showroom and booking it straightaway, but impulse is not good with a new car purchase, I suppose. Another thing, will this come under 8 L OTR? Any discounts on offer in the festive period?
Yes, the 1.6 Fiesta sport is very close to 8 OTR in Pune. I am sure you can get it to 8 OTR by negotiating.
Quote:
6. Mitsubishi Cedia Sports (Used):
This would be a logical upgrade from the Lancer, me thinks. But its tough to find a used Cedia in Pune, there are a few in Mumbai but I prefer to go for a used Pune vehicle only. It won't fetch much resale too, after 2-3 years of usage!
If you think the Civic fetches better resale, think twice. A 14 lakh OTR Civic in Mumbai sells at 7 (dealers sell at 7.25-7.5) lakhs for a 2006 model which means 50% depreciation in 3 years. Corolla again depreciates 45% from onroad price for that model.

Cedia Sports 2006 model costed 10 lakhs on road in 2006 with all the discounts. Today you will not find a 2006 sports example for less than 4.5 to 4.80 (which is just few thousands less than 50% depreciation). So it does not pinch.
There is one black 2006 Feb Cedia Sports in great condition in Mumbai with a dealer. 30000 km done with full service history. Car has a few addons like Stanley leather in red/black combo. Pm me if you want details. I am not associated with that dealer in any which way. I will only pass the phone number (you could also refer Friday zigwheels in the mumbai edition Times of India)

I personally felt the Cedia very comfortable in stop go traffic than the Corolla/Civic. It does not have the push in the back kind of acceleration but power delivery is very very linear. You will find the torque accumulating at every increase in rev. Civic is the most handsome toy in the market. It gives the push in the back feel when you jump on the gas pedal. For City driving, I still liked the Cedia but still love the handsome Civic.
Wish you happy shopping.

Last edited by dipen : 20th September 2009 at 14:24.
Old 20th September 2009, 18:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Your list is dominated by driver's cars. Maybe you could consider a used Honda Civic M/T as well in your budget. You should be able to find a '06/early '07 in about 8L.
Yes, indeed (past two cars, Ikon and Lancer are proof of that)! Ok, point taken, Civic 1.8 MT added to the list. The only worry with the Civic is the low GC. The suspension setup on the softer side doesn't help matters all the more. Can something be done about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
HI Wanderlust! I would suggest you to not look at the Palio Stile 1.6 Sport since it is a very old model and may be phased out in the next 5 years that you plan to keep it though must say this is one enthusiastic car.

I think the Linea may also be within your budget, you could consider that as well.

My suggestion would be a Ford Fiesta 1.6S/Sxi. It's fun to drive it around and the interiors are also pretty nice.

Cedia is also a nice car but as you said it is difficult to find a used Cedia in Pune also a used Cedia may be one that has been driven around a little too enthusiastically so I would rather avoid a second hand one and rather go for a new Fiesta 1.6S/Sxi.
I quite agree with you. I think I'll skip the Palio Stile 1.6 (although its superb value for the price right now, the dealer quoted me 4.65 L OTR, inclusive of discounts worth 34k). The only downside (not major, though) is the FE, but I've seen reports on T-BHP with decent FE figures for the 1.6.

The Fiesta 1.6 S is where the heart is set at the moment. I'll ask for a TD this week and see how it feels, I have no doubt that I won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Wait for the Polo. It should be a great buy and is in your range.
I suppose it is expect in Jan 2010, probably a launch in the Auto Expo, isn't it? If VW bring in their TSI petrol (not sure about the capacity...1.2?), I am game, else I'll give it a miss. What are the other engine options with the Polo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
How about the Honda Jazz?
Its got almost everything you need, and its a kind of car that you won't miss the space of the Sedan and on top of that the convenience of driving a hatchback.
Engine is bulletproof and reliability - being a Honda is top notch!
The Honda Jazz is overpriced, quite honestly. Inspite of Honda's legendary reliability and all the other plus points, I do not feel like plonking so much money on a hatchback. Apart from this, I don't like the looks that much! So, the Jazz is ruled out, but thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Yes, the 1.6 Fiesta sport is very close to 8 OTR in Pune. I am sure you can get it to 8 OTR by negotiating.

If you think the Civic fetches better resale, think twice. A 14 lakh OTR Civic in Mumbai sells at 7 (dealers sell at 7.25-7.5) lakhs for a 2006 model which means 50% depreciation in 3 years. Corolla again depreciates 45% from onroad price for that model.

Cedia Sports 2006 model costed 10 lakhs on road in 2006 with all the discounts. Today you will not find a 2006 sports example for less than 4.5 to 4.80 (which is just few thousands less than 50% depreciation). So it does not pinch.
There is one black 2006 Feb Cedia Sports in great condition in Mumbai with a dealer. 30000 km done with full service history. Car has a few addons like Stanley leather in red/black combo. Pm me if you want details. I am not associated with that dealer in any which way. I will only pass the phone number (you could also refer Friday zigwheels in the mumbai edition Times of India)

I personally felt the Cedia very comfortable in stop go traffic than the Corolla/Civic. It does not have the push in the back kind of acceleration but power delivery is very very linear. You will find the torque accumulating at every increase in rev. Civic is the most handsome toy in the market. It gives the push in the back feel when you jump on the gas pedal. For City driving, I still liked the Cedia but still love the handsome Civic.
Wish you happy shopping.
I think bringing the Civic M/T into the equation makes sense. Yes, only yesterday I was talking to a used-car dealer and he said Civic prices are not holding up too well in the used-car market. The Honda City holds prices much better! I agree, the Civic is still the best looker arond .

I'll pm you to get the details of the dealer and during my next visit to Mumbai (most probably in the coming weekend), will go check out the car.

BTW, are there any concrete news about:
1) Punto 1.3 VGT
2) Punto 1.4 T-Jet

Appreciate all your feedback, guys. Thanks a lot!
Old 20th September 2009, 19:05   #8
BHPian

Octavia RS worth considering?

Originally I had thought of including the Octavia RS too in the list. But I am a bit skeptical about the A.S.S of Skoda, having read so many horror stories on T-BHP! The other thing I learn is the high maintenance of the Skoda RS.

There is a Skoda RS in the classifieds section 2005 model, 16000 kms done, asking price 7.5 L. Should I consider this? Skoda RS owners, please enlighten.
Old 20th September 2009, 19:38   #9
BHPian

Funny no one suggested i20 in CRDi guise,
I think it fill all the the parameters you are looking for and more, also the topmost model in less than your 8 lakh budget !

If I was to choose within 8 lakhs :
1. Wait for the VW Polo (especially the TSi engine variant)
2. Hyundai i20
3. Fiat Linea
4. Ford Fiesta S 1.6
5. Used Civic (Will be more cheaper due to the arrival of the new model)

I think Punto is a bit too underpowered, swift has poor interiors (in 5-8 L category), Palio 1.6 has a strong engine but stile has too soft a suspension (drive it and you'll understand while cornering).
Old 21st September 2009, 13:02   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You're so obviously looking at the driving experience. The options are pretty simple actually:

Brand New : Fiesta 1.6S

Used : Honda Civic

Can't go wrong with either!
Old 21st September 2009, 13:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
Funny no one suggested i20 in CRDi guise,
I think it fill all the the parameters you are looking for and more, also the topmost model in less than your 8 lakh budget !

If I was to choose within 8 lakhs :
1. Wait for the VW Polo (especially the TSi engine variant)
2. Hyundai i20
3. Fiat Linea
4. Ford Fiesta S 1.6
5. Used Civic (Will be more cheaper due to the arrival of the new model)

I think Punto is a bit too underpowered, swift has poor interiors (in 5-8 L category), Palio 1.6 has a strong engine but stile has too soft a suspension (drive it and you'll understand while cornering).
The reviews of i20 are not very encouraging on the 'FTD' counts. There is a lot of turbo lag in the diesel and the petrol is gutless! Having driven an Ikon and a Lancer, the last thing I want to compromise on is the Fun-to-Drive (FTD) factor. Otherwise, I have little doubt that the i20 is a very capable car, but it just does not make the cut for me. I also think its overpriced a few bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You're so obviously looking at the driving experience. The options are pretty simple actually:

Brand New : Fiesta 1.6S

Used : Honda Civic

Can't go wrong with either!
GTO, quite frankly these are only two cars that keep coming to my mind every now and then :-). I can't get enough of the Aquaris Blue Fiesta S, it looks so lovely, so a TD this weekend is imminent.

A used Civic (2006 model perhaps) should fall in my budget, I suppose. Should I try 'Auto Terrace' (used car division of Honda Siel Cars) for a used Civic?

Alternatively, there are some decent used-car dealers in Pune. 'Deccan Wheels' near ModiBaug have some good used-cars.
Pune BHPians, has anyone dealt with Deccan Wheels in the past?

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 21st September 2009 at 13:22. Reason: typo correction
Old 21st September 2009, 17:59   #12
BHPian

Why not a Hyundai Elantra CRDI?
Old 21st September 2009, 23:03   #13
BHPian

Two things happened today!

1. I spoke to a sales personnel in Talera Ford. He is getting a TD Fiesta 1.6 S tomorrow morning to my office. I intend to do an extended TD on the highway, inside bylanes, U-turns, rip off blah blah! Lets see what she's got!

2. Incidentally a Honda Auto Terrace executive was in our office today to check out a colleagues' Honda City, that he wishes to sell. I struck up a conversation with him and expressed a desire to look for a 2006 used Honda Civic. He suggested that a 2006 Honda Civic 1.8 S MT should come for anywhere between 6.5 to 7.0 lacs with a running of around 30-40 k kms. Apparently, there is nothing is stock now (at Auto Terrace) and he said to wait for a month or so and he could find one for me.

In the meantime, I am rubbing my hands with glee to fly around town tomorrow morning in the Fiesta 1.6 S .

More on this later.
Old 22nd September 2009, 06:40   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@wanderlust: Check out the Fiesta.
We have a 2005 Lancer in our office and a 2006 Fiesta 1.4TDCi in the family, and trust me, the fiesta brings as many smiles to my face as the lancer does. In fact, with its tougher build quality, and more power (for the fiesta 1.6), it seems like the logical upgrade. However, the ride is stiffer than that of the Lancer, but it is quite good at higher speeds.
The other option is the Civic, which is quite good, however, in Pune traffic, the fiesta is definitely easier to drive.
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:30   #15
BHPian

Buy the Fiesta

Rode a friend's fiesta S yesterday,
I must say it is one mean machine.
I somehow liked it more than the civic as it has a better suspension and more involving drive !

I am going to get one for myself soon too !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks