Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


View Poll Results: Where should I mount the lights?
Option 1 - Between the headlights 71 47.33%
Option 2 - on the sides 3 2.00%
Option 3 - on the roll bar 10 6.67%
Option 4 - on the windshield 9 6.00%
Option 5 - on the bull bar 38 25.33%
OPtion 6 - retain existing ones & add D shackles in the front 11 7.33%
Option 7 - none. upgrade existing lights 6 4.00%
Option 8 - Other. Please specify 2 1.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 00:24   #151
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,405 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Thank you Ushuaia.
I've ordered 3000K hid. I'll be putting it on the factory fitted fog lamps or the ella work lamps. I'll post the pics as soon as I get the hid.
Neither the fog lamp, nor the hella worklight is designed for HID. So you will just get un-necessary scatter without range. IF you want to do HID, get a light housing designed for HID.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 10:03   #152
BHPian
 
v_safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 112
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Thank you Shubhendra, I was anyways going to remove the hella's from the roof rack after my recent disappointment with them on the highways.
I've also planned to remove the bull guard, and will try to mount them on steel plates bolted directly to the metal behind the front grill. The front grill has to be cut off a bit to make way for the steel plates.
v_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 10:06   #153
BHPian
 
v_safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 112
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Neither the fog lamp, nor the hella worklight is designed for HID. So you will just get un-necessary scatter without range. IF you want to do HID, get a light housing designed for HID.
In that case, let me see the feasibility of putting some old fabia projectors or hella's micro de in place of the factory fit fog lamps.
v_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 16:46   #154
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
I've also planned to remove the bull guard, and will try to mount them on steel plates bolted directly to the metal behind the front grill. The front grill has to be cut off a bit to make way for the steel plates.
You dont need bullbar to mount the lights. You can get the light bar designed ( i got it designed at small town) and give it support through number plate mountings.
refer below pic of a bar i got done in my Safari few years back.

Off-Roading Lights-20131117_101553.jpg

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 09:53   #155
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
You dont need bullbar to mount the lights. You can get the light bar designed ( i got it designed at small town) and give it support through number plate mountings.
refer below pic of a bar i got done in my Safari few years back.

Attachment 1348709

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra, your design is very asthetic. But the diesel engines rattle would vibrate the light eventually unless its mounted on the front bracket. If you have the bullbar you can always use ss pipe bent to attach to it. Also in Delhi Ncr curiosity gets the better and people tinker with the assembly to make a quick buck. Unless it is parked at a secure place.
Heres what I have for rigids, provision for 40w 2 cree's have also been made.
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Roading Lights-1426134176040.jpg  

Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 10:25   #156
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Shubhendra, your design is very asthetic. But the diesel engines rattle would vibrate the light eventually unless its mounted on the front bracket.
This bar is conntlected with chassis and rattle free, one medium size adult stood on it and nothing happened.
You can use theft proof lock nuts.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 12:58   #157
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,759 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

This is what i had done for my safari.

Removed the bumper. Fabricated a metal plate welded to chassis and extending to underneath the bumper. Fitted the bumper back and drilled through it to the metal plate and attached the fog lights. It looks as if they are mounted on the bumper but due to the metal plate the connection was strong.

Name:  Screen Shot 20150312 at 12.56.52 pm.png
Views: 2386
Size:  665.9 KB

EDIT: For more pics, visit the "View My Garage" link on the side.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th March 2015 at 13:01. Reason: see EDIT
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 13:33   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

The one's between the headlamps above Hella 700's are Chinese HID Auxiliary lights, with built in HID, color temperature is 4300-5000K. These come with Orange cover's, which makes them usable in fog as well. Had got these for a rally with night stages. Overall performance was pretty good. How long do they last is anyone's guess though.
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Roading Lights-10888372_583761441724321_4879240671924342222_n.jpg  

Off-Roading Lights-10915243_582655088501623_642949102940407989_n.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 10:55   #159
BHPian
 
v_safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 112
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The one's between the headlamps above Hella 700's are Chinese HID Auxiliary lights, with built in HID, color temperature is 4300-5000K. These come with Orange cover's, which makes them usable in fog as well. Had got these for a rally with night stages. Overall performance was pretty good. How long do they last is anyone's guess though.
Someone was telling me about these chinese lights, but didn't know the brand name. Thus I couldn't find the, Where did you by them from? And at what Price ?
v_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 17:03   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Someone was telling me about these chinese lights, but didn't know the brand name. Thus I couldn't find the, Where did you by them from? And at what Price ?
There is no Brand name for these lights.
I see that you are from Delhi, You can easily find these in Karol Bagh.
They come in two versions 7 inch dia and 9 inch dia, 9 inches one are quite large. Paid 7500/- for 7 inch one.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 21:36   #161
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,405 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
There is no Brand name for these lights.
I see that you are from Delhi, You can easily find these in Karol Bagh.
They come in two versions 7 inch dia and 9 inch dia, 9 inches one are quite large. Paid 7500/- for 7 inch one.
Its 7500/pair or 7500/piece? At 7500/pair its a good deal, but 7500/piece... not so much!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 07:25   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

Tanveer its 7500 for a pair for the 7 inch one.
9 inches one is around 9-10K for a pair.
Hella has jacked up the prices for 3000 from 7500 for a pair in January 2014 to 12500 in march this year. These HID lights are good value for money.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 15:09   #163
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 43
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

HID's are the standard for off road and additional driving light requirements. Legally, 100W halogen should provide you enough luminance (as seen with Hella's, Light Force, KC Hilites etc). The reflectors in these are designed for good illuminations.

HID's are very popular overseas, specially the 35W and 55 W HID's and you may all be surprised that 90% of these HID driving lights are made in China. It is all in the reflectors and the micron coating. Branded products like Light Force might have a larger thickness (several hundred micron) of reflector coating but some of these knock-offs have a thinner coating and thereby a reduced life (still at least 4-5 years)

Functionally, LED's and CRee have not been as efficient for spot beams, as these are intrinsically suited for spread beams. In India, for normal driving situations (read pot holes and traffic) one would be better off with spots than spread. CREE and LED's are getting accepted with off-road enthusiasts, but the gold standard for auxillary lights are still Halogen's and HID's.
Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 17:31   #164
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,405 Times
Default Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Functionally, LED's and CRee have not been as efficient for spot beams, as these are intrinsically suited for spread beams. In India, for normal driving situations (read pot holes and traffic) one would be better off with spots than spread. CREE and LED's are getting accepted with off-road enthusiasts, but the gold standard for auxillary lights are still Halogen's and HID's.
If you are willing to pay money, you will get a good narrow beam with LED also. This is due to the higher cost of optics required to create a narrow beam from a big emitter area.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 01:22   #165
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
HID's are the standard for off road and additional driving light requirements. Legally, 100W halogen should provide you enough luminance (as seen with Hella's, Light Force, KC Hilites etc). The reflectors in these are designed for good illuminations.

HID's are very popular overseas, specially the 35W and 55 W HID's and you may all be surprised that 90% of these HID driving lights are made in China. It is all in the reflectors and the micron coating. Branded products like Light Force might have a larger thickness (several hundred micron) of reflector coating but some of these knock-offs have a thinner coating and thereby a reduced life (still at least 4-5 years)

Functionally, LED's and CRee have not been as efficient for spot beams, as these are intrinsically suited for spread beams. In India, for normal driving situations (read pot holes and traffic) one would be better off with spots than spread. CREE and LED's are getting accepted with off-road enthusiasts, but the gold standard for auxillary lights are still Halogen's and HID's.
Here's link to my post in led lights. A concentrated spot at 250 mts. 8 leds with aspheric lens each. Another year or two should bring these at par with halogen and hids in terms or performance to cost parity.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/146205-led-headlamp-bulbs-here-end-hid-post3672783.html
Also all the offroad lighting brands using halogens there is a inherent flaw which works in the lights favour. Inefficient hotspotting gives you a tempered beam the cutoff seems to disappear after 30 to 50 mts. In good led's its a 50 -50 partnership between led and reflector. The hotspot is more efficiently managed in led's. The aspherics that i have manages to push the light further with a defined cutoff and 1 % spill. See baja designs squadron or rigid 's hyperspots.

Last edited by Ushuaia : 3rd June 2015 at 01:30.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-roading papps Street Experiences 15 26th August 2008 16:53
Off-Roading in Delhi JEEPs & Other 4WDs -04 Feb 2007 ex670c Indian Motorsport 7 5th February 2007 13:30
Zen goes off roading ... khaadu75 Street Experiences 17 26th December 2006 17:13
Off Roading with Kini,bikes,M800 & Wagon R kpzen Street Experiences 10 19th February 2006 16:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks