Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2013, 19:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Updated Maruti Gypsy coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Technically, its G12B in Eeco and not G13B - its practically same engine with lower bore which makes it 1196cc/73bhp/BS4 and hence eligible for excise duty benefits. It would be a direct fit in Gypsy but comes with a compromise in power.

Only question is whether people would want a Gypsy with 1.3L- 80 bhp or a 1.2L- 73 bhp engine.
Still it is quite good for the load it pulls in Eeco , & yet easily manages to keep pace with traffic.
Old 10th November 2013, 19:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Looks interesting but how tested will the MJD 1.3 be for Off Roading? Probably the off-roading Gurus will be able to assist? Even with the 90 BHP would it be sufficient?

Suppose MSIL would be the first ones to experiment with MJD?
In my experience the 1.3 MJD has initial turbo lag and the low end torque is also i nadequate specially on uphill slopes. Maruti should try to plonk a 1.6 litre engine at least. But like the thar if many people buy it as a lifestyle vehicle rather than for hardcore off roading it might not make too much of a difference. The gypsy has a major weight advantage too.
Old 10th November 2013, 23:27   #18
BHPian

Another Maruti dealer called today, saying yes there are some updates coming but doesn't know what. Otherwise can order a old/existing gypsy and it will be delivered in december some time. The guy seemed weird with only half the knowledge of the product so not sure his information is accurate.

I have left a query with Maruti corporate showroom. Hoping to hear something in the coming week.
Old 11th November 2013, 06:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

It is good to know that the company has started looking at sprucing up Gypsy. I am sure if they launch a practical true 'lifestyle' vehicle with comfort changes done to the existing Gypsy, there will be quite a few takers- including me!

After weaning away from Thar, I am watching this space anxiously!
Old 11th November 2013, 09:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

If they are plonking in a diesel, I think a K9K would have been better as there is NIL turbo lag and that would be ideal for off-roading than have to revv the engine hard (1.3MJD). But at the same time, I guess they would NOT do as they don't have the license for it in India but have the 1.3MJD license - so more likely they will use it, if they want to bring a diesel option.

It's nice to see that we are getting more options in every segment.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:02   #21
BHPian

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th November 2013 at 14:52.
urban legend is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th November 2013, 10:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

While Suzuki are at it, can we expect them to do something about the suspension? Make it a tad more comfortable perhaps. Also improve the weight distribution over both the axles a bit. Then it would be just perfect.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 15:34   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Updated Maruti Gypsy coming?

If this news is indeed true, then the Mahindra Thar's respectable sales (more than the likes of the A-Star, Estilo, SX4) might have something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Army has stopped ordering Gypsy as they wanted more bigger and modern jeeps.
Nope, the Army hasn't stopped ordering, although their demand has gotten lower. Maruti now builds the Gypsy sporadically, only once Army orders have sufficiently piled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Looks interesting but how tested will the MJD 1.3 be for Off Roading? Probably the off-roading Gurus will be able to assist? Even with the 90 BHP would it be sufficient?
The 90 BHP MJD, with it's turbo-lag, would be horrible for offroading. When mud-plugging and crawling, you need linear power delivery with excellent torque at low rpms. Motors with peaky power delivery are far from ideal.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 16:01   #24
Team-BHP Support

On the contrary i think DDiS engine will be really good, when in low ratio the turbo lag might not be such a big issue. Infact it will help to put the torque down better in low ratio, without creating wheel spins etc. Having said that, i don't think DDiS is going to come in gypsy. Armed forces and Police are the only stable customer base for Gypsy and both of them need/like it for being petrol and simple to maintain. The engine to GB mating would require a bit of work with DDIS, or else they have to mod the existing DDiS gearbox from cars and mate it to the transfer case (again a pain, since current box is FWD format).

The most predictable outcome to the rumor (if any! since such news has been on and off for almost 2 years) is a 1.2 K series engine. Might not be big on power but torque curve is much better compared to existing 1.3 L engine for a vehicle like gypsy. Much more advances also.

Vehicle is produced based on demand and once the min numbers required for a batch is got, production is initiated. Dealers cover this delay with various stories including revamp. Eitherways, you have to pay advance and wait. So go ahead.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 16:40   #25
BHPian

We have such a big TBHP network of members. Don't we have a single person working in MSIL or knowing someone working in MSIL (in the correct division I mean) who can provide insider information about this 'supposed' new Gypsy? I don't think MSIL is as secretive as Apple with their new products Would love a scoop here
Old 11th November 2013, 16:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
....On the contrary i think DDiS engine will be really good, when in low ratio the turbo lag might not be such a big issue. Infact it will help to put the torque down better in low ratio, without creating wheel spins etc.....
Turbo lag just slays you going up hills and pulling into heavy traffic in 2wd mode where you do most of your driving.

Having said that, if the rumor is true I will off-load my Thar and on-load a factory diesel Gypsy so fast that it will make your head swim. (breathe stroke). After I purchase my Gypsy I shall follow Khan_Sultan's example and hack off my rear end.
Old 11th November 2013, 18:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, the Army hasn't stopped ordering, although their demand has gotten lower. Maruti now builds the Gypsy sporadically, only once Army orders have sufficiently piled up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Armed forces and Police are the only stable customer base for Gypsy and both of them need/like it for being petrol and simple to maintain.
There was news some time back about Army modifying the mandatory requirements for vehicles that they order to include air bags, ABS, diesel engine with minimum 120 bhp etc. If it is implemented, Army would no longer be buying Gypsy.

http://www.livemint.com/Industry/lvT...the-Gypsy.html
Old 11th November 2013, 19:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
There was news some time back about Army modifying the mandatory requirements for vehicles that they order to include air bags, ABS, diesel engine with minimum 120 bhp etc. If it is implemented, Army would no longer be buying Gypsy.

http://www.livemint.com/Industry/lvT...the-Gypsy.html
Read the article carefully, its a typical mint news. No one said 500 kg category is stopped, that was just speculation. The specs are for the new 800 kg category, meanwhile there are many other categories also where army is looking for vehicles.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 10:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hope this is indeed true and not just a rumour as it has been quite often. A factory fitted PS, AC and better ride quality is all that is required from the beast to become an acceptable vehicle for all purpose use. The AC still can be managed aftermarket, but better ride quality is really essential. And it shouldn't be much problem for Maruti to add a PS from the factory, if they want to.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 00:00   #30
BHPian

If it is true, it will be really good for MSIL as well as the people who love safety shoes. They should come up with a shortened Gypsy along with a diesel option to beat the ruler Thar.

In my opinion, instead of coming up with a facelifted version of the Gypsy, MSIL should have launched Jimny. That would have been a super hit in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks