Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2006, 17:00   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
4. With good (audison / sosche) High to low converters, I thought there would not be a perceptible fidelity loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
HU doesn't matter much in low end system.But in high end systems,everything starts from HU e.g. it should have 3pairs of pre-amp outputs,high preamp voltage,TA setttings,X-over settings,i-pod control,high S/N ratio etc.Some would even prefer dancing dolphins on HU's display or damsels would even do better job!!!
Right, and my point would be that if you use a head unit with a quality rating of say '8 on 10', use a line-out converter rated '9 on 10', and use an amp with a rating of '10 on 10' as far as SQ is concerned, the overall sound quality of the system would still be 8 on 10, not even 9 on 10. So it would make best sense to invest in all equipment in the signal chain which have nearly the same rating, i.e. closest to the component rated the lowest, i.e. 8.

Just an example, nothing previously discussed is meant to be labeled as 8 on 10 or 10 on 10 etc.
Old 28th September 2006, 17:20   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Whoever sent u those PMs r right.

HU doesn't matter much in low end system.But in high end systems,everything starts from HU e.g. it should have 3pairs of pre-amp outputs,high preamp voltage,TA setttings,X-over settings,i-pod control,high S/N ratio etc.Some would even prefer dancing dolphins on HU's display or damsels would even do better job!!!
Or why not use a signal processor like Alpine PXA701 and an RUX along with it?. But I am not sure about the connectivity of ur current HU to PXA (like whether PXA takes speaker level inputs or only RCA inputs etc....). LBM might be able to help you on this!

Regards,
ant.
Old 28th September 2006, 18:00   #258
Senior - BHPian

I also feel that you will get better SQ overall if you spring for a HU (Pio/Alpine/Blau) in the 12-15k range at least. After all, it is the signal that comes form the HU that gets fed to the amps and then to the speakers. Better quality input signal, better quality output. Especially with that killer set-up you've got lined up.

Also, a good HU with 2+1 pre-outs means you will not need to spring for the costly (Audison/Scosche) converters. The total cost will not go up thaaaaaat much.

Alternatively you must think of a HU upgrade later on, when you need to inject some new life into the system (trust me, you'll feel the need for this in another year at the latest). By then probably there will be more OE-looking fascia mods for the Civic widely available. But here again, you will be wasting the money spent on the (Audison/Scosche) converters as you won't need them with a 2+1 pre-out HU.

Just my 2 cents :-)
Old 28th September 2006, 18:02   #259
Senior - BHPian

Whoops. I just read B&T's post (8 out of 10 etc.). I guess he said the same thing earlier.
Old 29th September 2006, 09:18   #260
BANNED

ST, ask Gunbir, Jb, B&T etc if it's possible to fit in a HU like in accord. That looks very clean and meets all your demands.
As you've said, the OE HU is damn good looking and sexy too.
Old 29th September 2006, 11:25   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. I want to keep the car as stock looking as possible. The OEM HU integrates well and looks good. There is less likely hood of the integrated OEM getting stolen than the aftermarket HU.

2. It has an in dash integrated 6 CD changer, which is MP3 and WMA capable on CD-R /RW. Changing HU would mean also adding up a cd changer.

3. I am not too fascinated by the LCD display / DVD player etc. The OEM HU provides all the track related information that I need without any distraction.

4. With good (audison / sosche) High to low converters, I thought there would not be a perceptible fidelity loss.
OEM HUs are not usually built to th same standards as retail HUs. There are exceptions (Ex-Market HUs used as OEM, some Becker OEM HUS, etc...).

I think I did ask you to first see a Honda Civic with an ex-Market HU so you know what the dash will look like with such an HU. then take the next step.

Doc (RSJ) and B&T are right but you have to remember your aesthetic considerations as well.
Old 29th September 2006, 12:21   #262
Senior - BHPian

CIVIC HU Upgrade...no no no

Here is what the original looks like...

And this is the best looking after market fitment I could find on net... :(

Looking at these I definately do not want to change my mind (which is not to change OE HU).
How bad will it be? After all Honda has used a good one from Alpine...

If it is really does not make sense without changing the HU then I might as well postpone my ICE upgrade for 2-3 years...

sob... sob... sob...
Old 29th September 2006, 12:35   #263
Senior - BHPian

I am watching this whole HU thing....everybody is against the OEM hu ...I dont think it is as bad as the people are saying .....I think with the line out converter B&T has suggested will work with HU and will be fine....People ST is not going to any compition he is going to use it himself and i think he would be satisfied by the sound of the OEM hu.....so I thing get the RCA converter not the speaker level thing...as the rca would be cleaner....

anyways if u wanna add a after market hu do a install at another place other than the place the oem hu is placed....like the accord install by B&T....in which the car stock look will be maintained....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 29th September 2006 at 12:49.
Old 29th September 2006, 12:35   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If it is really does not make sense without changing the HU then I might as well postpone my ICE upgrade for 2-3 years...

sob... sob... sob...
Buddy, if you have the green now, this may not be a good idea. If you get the ICE done now and spend some serious coin on it, you'll still get to enjoy it for more time (before you eventually sell your car) than if you do an ICE job 2-3 years down the line and spend more or less the same amount. You'll most likely spend the same amount on your ICE later as you would now, so if you spend the money now, you'll get more ("longer"?) bang out of your buck.

But if you plan to dismantle the ICE at the time you sell the car, and use it in your new car, then upgrading later won't matter at all.

Understand this: I'm not encouraging you to spend money here. I'm just suggesting that you spend the money you plan to spend wisely.
Old 29th September 2006, 12:46   #265
Senior - BHPian

ST7677 (dob? 7/6/77?, just curious) ; you havent seen good HU

http://media.trafficdriver.com/evox/...006/2co/55.jpg
Old 29th September 2006, 13:14   #266
Senior - BHPian

ST have you considered doing this:

Very clean, looks good & won't even hamper the A/C functionality in your car since it has a seperate display.

Last edited by iraghava : 29th September 2006 at 13:21.
Old 29th September 2006, 13:26   #267
Senior - BHPian

the pic is the same but with a RHD to make it feel a bit used to....

But is this attachment avalable in india ???????

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 29th September 2006 at 13:27.
Old 29th September 2006, 14:54   #268
Senior - BHPian

In the left hand drive car, the full trim kit is a replacement unit. I doubt it's available in India.

Anyway, I never recommended to change the HU. And I never said it's too bad in quality either. I'm just saying that it's a decent quality head unit, that should be mated with good quality amps, speakers and subs, and not with something outrageously hi-fi unless you plan to change the setup to another car sometime down the line, or if you are planning to pray really hard to get your hands on that dash kit.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:52   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Anyway, I never recommended to change the HU. And I never said it's too bad in quality either. I'm just saying that it's a decent quality head unit, that should be mated with good quality amps, speakers and subs, and not with something outrageously hi-fi unless you plan to change the setup to another car sometime down the line, or if you are planning to pray really hard to get your hands on that dash kit.

agree agree...Yes as B&T suggested that the HU is a good quality then it is not adviceable to spend so much on the high end products...it is better to get the products which are in range of the HU to make a perfect match....that can be done by a good jbl or alpine ampilifer .... as they will be good match for the HU.....
Old 29th September 2006, 16:01   #270
Senior - BHPian

Does the HU output quality deteriorates at a higher volume (the internal amp can't handle it) or at lower volume also?

If at higher volume, Is it ok if I use say fixed lower volume on HU and high gain on amp and use a remote volume control on amp???

Is there a way to (disect the HU and) extract the signal from the CD player before it reaches the internal amp?

Last edited by ST7677 : 29th September 2006 at 16:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks