Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2006, 12:05   #376
Senior - BHPian

Another question:

My OE Rear fills are exposed to the trunk. Will they be able the sustain the pressure generated by the sub?

I doubt, so how is this taken care of?
Old 25th November 2006, 13:29   #377
BANNED

I don't think it will be a problem. Unless, you're making a very big SPL setup.
Rear fills will be fine in the OE locations.
The sub should be kept firing more towards the boot door rather than upwards. A bit difficult with 15" maybe.

What's the stock size in rear? As You care lot of you ride's interiors, Even a stock size replacement will do. Just make sure it matches well with your fronts.
Old 25th November 2006, 18:27   #378
Senior - BHPian

Stock size in rear is 6.5" round.

When this sub can flex steel, I doubt the OE speakers will be able to withold!
What do I do to save my speakers?
Old 25th November 2006, 19:07   #379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Perfect for a HCX165 to go with HSK165s in the front.
I didn't like 2 sets of components fitted in sedans. They were turning a bit too bright. Rear is better kept as fills and not the real sound stage.
In components, you'll have trouble to find a suitable location for tweeters and crossovers too while fitting them in the rear.

Quote:
What do I do to save my speakers?
My question; Are you really going to do that with your sub?

A Subwoofer is meant to support your music in a smooth way by correctly playing the lower notes rather than blast your boot lid off!!! For that once in a while show off, it may play a bit loud too. That's all!!

If that was your intention, then in place of brahma, you should've got 2 JL Audio 13W7s or 3 Kicker solobaric L7s or Earthquakes and mate it to 2 1000W RMS SPL monoblock amps. And put them in ported boxes too. That'll even launch you thru the windshield! Do you want that??

Last edited by speedzak : 25th November 2006 at 19:09.
Old 26th November 2006, 08:46   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man-oh-man! Now that is some beast.
Old 27th November 2006, 00:16   #381
Senior - BHPian

It's not for no reason that I have picked up Brahma 15"!!!

It is supposed to be an SQL breed and can get extremely loud while being accurate.

That is why I was thinking of 2 component systems - Front and back.

I do not know how high I will be playing it. But I like strong bass which I can feel and considering that the sub will be in the boot, it will have to make an extra effort to make it's presence really felt. Rear speakers endangered...

Where are all other buddies and gurus?
After the break all seem to be on a vacation
Old 27th November 2006, 00:30   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where are all other buddies and gurus?
After the break all seem to be on a vacation
Ding Dong..
Mugen (Novice) is still here..
Zak Is also here..

Navinji,Lbm,Rsj,Gunbir,KB100,Autophile,Sambhai... Where are you guys ?
ICE section is not interesting and active without all of you.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 27th November 2006, 13:36   #383
Team-BHP Support

1. power ratings for speakers are thermal. most speaker reach the physical limits at lower power.

2. 2.5 cu. ft. sealed whould be adequate. any bigger and you will be running out of trunk room. if the Q is a high, you can always tune the bass using an aperiodic vent.
Old 27th November 2006, 14:32   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is supposed to be an SQL breed and can get extremely loud while being accurate.
Well... having heard the Brahma subs I can tell you "accurate" isnt a word I would use to describe their sound. Like all high excursion, high output subs of this class they sound "thick" (for lack of a better word). It will sound "slow" and "wooly" (if these words make any sense) with ample grunt in the low region (good for bass tracks, some hip-hop, and some electronica) but you may feel a lack of punch with regular music.

"Accurate" is a whole different class.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:32   #385
Senior - BHPian

Accurate here is relatively used among the subs I was comparing...

Initially I was leaning towards IDmax, but after hours of online research, it seemed the Brahma is considered better SQ than IDmax (ofcourse comparing 12" to 12"). These are opinions, every body will have their own!

People who have used both, say that on full excursion IDMax surround distorts badly and this creates audible distortion, whereas Brahma's distortion is extremely low. More over there are lot of durability related issues reported on IDmax and its Voice coil's are notorious for not being able to handle it's rated output.
Brahma's low distortion figures are somewhat also backed by reported distortion figures over different frequencies of diff subs. There is a lot written on patented XBL^2 and in general it is accepted that they are more linear than others.

But all this is online gyan and I have not experienced either of them first hand. Unfortunately we do not get an opportunity to experience such exotic stuff first hand here. I just read a lot and interacted with few people to make sure it suits my taste. After all SQ is not same for everybody!

Also, I have knowingly gone for 15" over 12" because I wanted my bass to be low and deep, I know it will be at cost of speed. Practicality didn;t allow for 2 12"ers.

ok, now an Important Question to Gurus:
I have read that using fills (Polyfill, etc) can make the the box size appear 25% bigger to the sub.
a) Is it true?
b) Is Polyfill available locally, at what rate?
c) if not what are the alternatives?
d) are there any disadvantages to using this approach to reduce box size?

Last edited by ST7677 : 27th November 2006 at 16:35.
Old 27th November 2006, 17:04   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, I have knowingly gone for 15" over 12" because I wanted my bass to be low and deep, I know it will be at cost of speed.

ok, now an Important Question to Gurus:
I have read that using fills (Polyfill, etc) can make the the box size appear 25% bigger to the sub.
a) Is it true?
b) Is Polyfill available locally, at what rate?
c) if not what are the alternatives?
d) are there any disadvantages to using this approach to reduce box size?
For Polyfill try and use the filling from the Relinace Pillows
I would say you the effective volume increse would be only about 10% still it is worth it if only to absrob the rear wave.
glass wool is one alternate but it is itchy to handle so use rubber gloves open cell foam is also useable in a limited way (absorbtion is mostly in the midbass).
no real disadvantages.
Old 27th November 2006, 17:14   #387
BANNED

ST!!! It's time to do some field work dude!

You should approach an installer in your vicinity. Discuss all what you want to get done. All your questions will be sorted out there better. Polyfills are available and I've told you earlier also. Now, the prices and required amount should be calculated in real world rather than virtual!!

I have a feeling you're relying too much on Internet. Believe me, it could sometimes be misleading too. So spare some time, go down the street and sit with some of the reputed installers.

And regarding the sub woofers, we already had a lot of discussions earlier and you have bought your choice. So, let's not go there again and make this into another joke thread!

No offense meant here bro!!!
Old 27th November 2006, 17:28   #388
Senior - BHPian

Nahin yaar, It's not like that. It is just that I trust people here a lot more than the real life installers who try to squeeze obscene amount of money from you.

I have met couple of who's who of install world here in Bangalor and guess what I have got quotes of 5k to 16k for doing my installation!

The moment they know details about my setup their quotes start going up.

So it helps to be better informed yourself.

Oh yes, forgive me If I have asked the same question twice, as I have really short memory and there are too many questions doing rounds!
Old 27th November 2006, 20:15   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

ST... having lived out half my life in the real world of audio, I can assure you that comparing subwoofers at maximum excursion is silly. You will never reach that level under any conditions.

The kind of amplifiers, audio generation etc that cause the subwoofer in a car to drive at max ex, are ridiculous to the point of being funny. It may and probably happen at an spl competition and that's another story. It's a question of mine is bigger than yours. That's a competition, but I assure you that even the competitiors do not listen to loud sine wave generations after the show.

You talk of SQL, but at the same time want to know if the physical structure of your rear speaker will "withstand" the woofer. If you drive your subwoofer to the point where your rear speakers distort and get physically damaged, in effect you are planning a full SPL setup, for an SPL competition.

You see what I mean? There is nothing clear in this thread after 390 posts. I cannot understand if you want some mad aas SPL, or want to listen to some quality music. I think you want loud and clear music right? Then do not worry too much about excursions and distortions.

Baaki bacha Brahma vs IDmax, it's a pointless discusssion, you have already purchased the much respected Brahma woofer and I am dying to hear what it will sound like.
Do let us know a honest critique of the system once installed, get it done properly and post pictures when it's all over.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th November 2006 at 20:20.
Old 27th November 2006, 20:40   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
ST... having lived out half my life in the real world of audio, I can assure you that comparing subwoofers at maximum excursion is silly. You will never reach that level under any conditions....Baaki bacha Brahma vs IDmax, it's a pointless discusssion, you have already purchased the much respected Brahma woofer and I am dying to hear what it will sound like..
1. half your life in the real world of audio! I thought you are "other" interests and audio was only a distraction. :-)

2. Max excursion is uaually a factor of how low you are trying to go. you can push a woofer to it's Xmax and still not deliver enough SPL at 20hz. Yet even 1/4th Xmax can achieve the same at 50Hz ot 60Hz.

3. ST, if you have already purchased your woofer why not install it and enjoy it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks