Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2006, 11:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Subwoofer / Audio enhancements for New Honda Civic...

Audio Gurus - Sam, B&T, JB, Gunbir, Navin & others....

Need advice on enhancing the audio system for the New Honda Civic...
It's red colour - so the bass has to be good -
yes I need to add a subwoofer...

Preferences...
Budget - Value for money - I am an average mortal, trying to strike a balance between dreams and reality

Thump Thump - Just enough to turn other average mortals - don't intend to participate in any one up competitions

Size - Civic boot is already small (438 ltrs), I would want a compact solution, which can preferably be tucked on one side

Dual purpose (optional) - well this is a strange one - I have been planning to add a sub to my home music for parties (to add extra thump), now it will be great if once in a while, when required, I can remove it from the car and use it at home too...
Well, I do not know how much this is feasible, and this is just a nice to have, if possible, without affecting my car ICE too much. If not possible then this can be ignored.

One other concern I had - does adding a subwoofer deterioates the overall sound experience (too much thump thump, too little music). It sounds nice when a thumping car passes by but I have never sat in one to know how it really feels inside. Any volunteers in Bangalore, whoes car I can check out?

Lastly, I very much liked the surround sound in the Optra OE system and wouldn't mind minor tweakings to the Honda OE Alpine system to get a better sound.

Thanks
Old 14th July 2006, 12:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Before you do all this does the OE system provide for a line out. I know is many cases speaker out also works but I am not one subscribes to this view. that said...

1. Value for moeny nothing beats a Pioneer 306C in a 1 cu.ft. sealed box powered by a sony 502. Total should be 7K.

2. a good 12" in a sealed box would work as the easiest solution to proviude thump. Of course with bigger budgets and more space you can all the thump you desire.

3. 1 cu. ft. is about hte smallest box you can get away with. There are smaller subs but they wont give you a lot of thump. Hertz makes a 8" sub that works in about 1/2 cu. ft. for example.

4. I would NOT recommend a car sub for home use. It will not blow anythig up but (a) the car amp needs 12V DC so you'd need a 12V/40A DC source at home (b) car subs are tuned to work in cars. Homes are a different envrioment. (there is more but it gets technical). Suffice to say that you will get bass if you use your car sub at home (after all the woofer will flap around) but you wont get party level bass or quality bass.
Old 14th July 2006, 12:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Navin,
Dual Use idea dropped...!

Line Out... I would need to check that out and get back...

How much does Pioneer 306C cost? What RMS it is?

Budget of around 10-15k should be ok... that should let you be more creative

One other concern I had - does adding a subwoofer deterioates the overall sound experience (too much thump thump, too little music). It sounds nice when a thumping car passes by but I have never sat in one to know how it really feels inside. Any volunteers in Bangalore, whoes car I can check out?

Lastly, I very much liked the surround sound in the Optra OE system and wouldn't mind minor tweakings to the Honda OE Alpine system to get a better sound.
Old 14th July 2006, 12:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
One other concern I had - does adding a subwoofer deterioates the overall sound experience (too much thump thump, too little music). It sounds nice when a thumping car passes by but I have never sat in one to know how it really feels inside.
Once you listen to a car with a properly tuned and set up subwoofer, there is no turning back. Trust me.
Old 14th July 2006, 13:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

If u have a 15k buget u can go for the following combination. Never compare a sub by it rms rating it is a wrong way to compare it. Any ways 306dvc and 306c both are 400 watts rms rated.

Pioneer 306dvc wired it to pioneer 510d amp at 2 ohms. The box can be made from 1 cuft to 1.5 cuft. The smaller box puch sound it will make and the larger the box the low end extension would be good. the above setup will cost u amp 9500 sub for 3500 and the box and installation 2000.

OT - >Ishan if u are reading this I was suggesting u this combination

link for the above stuff

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
Old 14th July 2006, 14:18   #6
BHPian

The OEM unit in civic does not have line out..for line level you need speakers level to line level convertors.
Old 14th July 2006, 15:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sam, LBM, Autophile...

So the new Civic does not have a line out...<Autophile>, where does that leave us now...

Also read that there are few 'everything in a box' packages available. Are they advisable over these custom setups? Are they more cost effective?

SAM, I am eager to know which is your next location after Mumbai... Bangalore...? Please enlighten me on what JBL options I have.

Where can I get this setup properly installed and tuned in Bangalore... Read other posts and seems like Sound Factor is the place?

Waiting for recommendations from Sam, B&T, JB, Gunbir, Navin & others....
Old 14th July 2006, 15:26   #8
BHPian

For line out use good quality Line output convertors by Audison, PAC, Scosche, Audiocontrol etc.

Go for 6.5" 2 - way components in the front and 6.5" coaxials at the back in stock locations. There is a stock location for tweeters on the civic dash like CRV and Accord.
Old 14th July 2006, 15:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SAM, I am eager to know which is your next location after Mumbai... Bangalore...? Please enlighten me on what JBL options I have.

Where can I get this setup properly installed and tuned in Bangalore... Read other posts and seems like Sound Factor is the place?

Yeah, I do believe i'l be coming there soon.

And yes, forJBL, Sound factor is your best bet.
Old 14th July 2006, 16:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also read that there are few 'everything in a box' packages available. Are they advisable over these custom setups? Are they more cost effective?
The D510 is a fine amp. I would happy to use it with a better woofer than the 306C. Something that will do more than thump.

JB, I dont think ST is looking at changing the front and rear speakers. He just wants to add "thump" to his existing setup.
Old 14th July 2006, 17:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ya navin 510 can handle mainly all the regular subs in the market. In that case one can go for jbl or alpine subs also or one can connect passive jbl bass tube or enclosure. it will be a neat and clean install.......
Old 14th July 2006, 18:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pioneer 306dvc wired it to pioneer 510d amp at 2 ohms. The box can be made from 1 cuft to 1.5 cuft. The smaller box puch sound it will make and the larger the box the low end extension would be good. the above setup will cost u amp 9500 sub for 3500 and the box and installation 2000.
Are you sure the amp and sub are priced at Rs.9500 & 3500. As the website links suggest $300 and $120 for the Amp and the subwoofer respectively...

if the sub is in the boot in a box, how does the sound get into passenger cabins, throught the rear seats, or through the open windows???

Is there any place in Bangalore where I can sample, how a Sub sounds when it will be in my car.
Old 14th July 2006, 18:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

they are grey market prices.

About the sound of the sub it will be producing bass which are lower freq which can travel easliy through ur boot into the cabin with very great ease. U can also try different placement of the box with which u can get the best sound which u like......

about the place in banglore, any banglore bhpians can be contacted.....
Old 14th July 2006, 18:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The D510 is a fine amp. I would happy to use it with a better woofer than the 306C. Something that will do more than thump.
JB, I dont think ST is looking at changing the front and rear speakers. He just wants to add "thump" to his existing setup
Along with D510, Which Sub will you recommend Navin?

Also, I am fine with changing the basic speakers, if that is recommended. Like I said I was More pleased with Optra's sound performance.

Only that I would want to keep the overall ICE budget around 15k.
Old 15th July 2006, 00:05   #15
BANNED

Upgrading ICE?? It's a nice satisfying thing. Never ending too!

Putting anything but not changing the OE speakers will take you nowhere! If you want a decent sounding system, then changing the OE speakers is a must! Otherwise, with a SUB added, you'll be just getting Thump-Boom etc.. and no music!

Upgrade gradually. One or two at a time. Order can be changed according to your tastes.

1. Change the front speakers to a nice set of components. (price range: 5.5k to 16k)

2. Get a nice 4channel amp. Power the components from the 2channels of the amp. (price range: 4k to 16k and above)

3. Get yourself a SUB. Bridge 2 channels of the amp to power the sub. (price range: 4k to 20k and above)

4. Change the rear speakers to some decent co-axials. (price range: 2.5k to 10k and above)

5. Time for a Monoblock amp. Power the SUB using this and use the old amp's 2 channels to power the rear co-axials. (price range: 16k to 1L and above)

6. Get another SUB. 2 SUB setups are great sounding too. Power both SUBs from the monoblock. (price range: 4k to 20k and above)
Or change your old SUB and get yourself a better sounding, higher power handling SUB (expensive it will be). (price range: 8k to 30k)

7. While doing these changes make sure you use only connection audison, MonsterCable or some other exotic cables only. (price range 6k to 16k)

8. Time for a new HeadUnit. Maybe DVD playing one.(price range: 20k to 90k)

9. Yes, LCDs!! 2 in the headrests, 1 dash mounted.

10. Nay, This car is not enough, So get another one!

Last edited by speedzak : 15th July 2006 at 00:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks