Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 10:56   #481
BHPian

Little confused on the wiring part.
The OEM HU gives out speaker level outputs to four speakers. Right?
So how do you wire two amps?

Is it that you input the speaker level inputs into an amp that accepts it and also gives an rca preamp out option, and use that option to feed the other amp. (eg. a monoblock)...??

Please clarify.
Thanks.
Old 5th February 2007, 11:32   #482
Senior - BHPian

Yes Scary, thats right. Alternatively, you could also tap into the rear speaker output and take the monoblocks high level input from there.
Old 5th February 2007, 11:49   #483
BHPian

OK thanks buddy.
Which is better. Preamp option or Tapping..?? Also what is the best way/location to tap into the signal.

And yeah, do these amps accept high level input (alongwith the preamp option?, as the case may be)

JBL 4-Channel Full-Range Amplifier - CS60.4
JBL 300-Watt Mono Subwoofer Class D Amplifier - GTO301.1

also how would the difference between
JBL CS Series CS2165C 165mm (6-1/2") 2-Way Component System and

JBL 6-1/2 Inch - 2-Way Component System - GTO607C

be best described as.

civic will accept 6.5" sizes front and rear. Right??
Old 6th February 2007, 09:12   #484
BHPian

HI. After a little browsing on jbl.rediff.com
I found the following components to my taste.

For Fronts:-
JBL 6-1/2 Inch - 2-Way Component System - GTO607C For 6500

For rear:-
JBL 6-1/2 Inch (160mm) 3-Way Loudspeaker - GTO637 For 3950
OR

JBL 6 Inch X 9 Inch 3 way Car Loudspeaker - GTO937 for 4950
Which one to choose? What is the USP of each one?

Speaker Amp:- JBL 4-Channel Full-Range Amplifier - CS60.4 for 8990
Sub:-
JBL 12 Inch Ported Subwoofer Tube For the Car - CS1204T for 6500
or

JBL 12 Inch Sealed Subwoofer Box for the Car - CS1204B for 7990

again need suggestions on USP of each. And also whether to choose factory provided enclosures or Make own? (I dont know how to calculate the box parameters)

Amp for speakers
JBL 300-Watt Mono Subwoofer Class D Amplifier - GTO301. for 12990

So how would you guys rate the above system for install in a CIVIC.
Any other good suggestions?

Anyways. Would really really like an idea of costs of comparable models in the HERTZ range.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 6th February 2007 at 09:14.
Old 6th February 2007, 12:32   #485
Senior - BHPian

Scary,

Front: Fine!
Rear: JBL 6-1/2 Inch (160mm) 3-Way Loudspeaker - GTO637 [You don't need 6x9s in back, if you have a sub). In fact I'd go for 5.25" co-axials and save more money (If you don't have rear passengers often).
Speaker Amp: Fine. Also consider the GTO75.4 @13-14K. Though costlier, it is more bang for the buck.
Sub: I'd go for the sealed box and not the tube. (My personal preference. A listening session will let you know which is better for you). You can also think of the ported version of the same sub box (CS1204BR, I think). Choosing the factory enclosures will be hassle free, if you don't want to build a separate enclosure. You can just plug the subs in and you're good to go!
Sub Amp: Good choice. Will go well with either of the options for subs you gave.

Hertz models (Energy series),
Front: ESK165 (6.5" 2-way components): 9100/-
Rear: ECX165 (6.5" 2-way coaxials): 6000/- (Not sure of price. Should be close). OR ECX130 (5.25" 2-way coaxials): 5400/-
Sub: ES300 (12" sub, SVC): 8900/- OR ES300D (12" sub, DVC): 9100/-
You'll need to build an enclosure for this sub as it is a driver only, and does not come with a box. Good Box = Approx 1500/-
Amps: Better stick with the same amps you've chosen. Hertz does not sell amps in India (yet, I guess). Audison is the brand of amps available in India from the same manufacturer (Electromedia), but they are a totally different range (pricewise & soundwise).

EDIT: Yes, this setup will be fine in a Civic. Esp. if you go for the GTO75.4 and not the CS60.4.

And I hope you have budgeted for 3 sets of good 2ch RCA interconnects, and good power wiring.

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th February 2007 at 12:37.
Old 6th February 2007, 13:48   #486
Senior - BHPian

hERTZ would be a good option for car like Civic.

Last edited by ST7677 : 6th February 2007 at 13:52.
Old 6th February 2007, 14:10   #487
Senior - BHPian

Install Pics - Finally...

First of all let me apologise to all of you for the delay in posting these pics.
My extremely hectic schedule kept me away from this time consuming exercise. There are hundreds of photographs, and I wish there was an easier way to upload multiple pics at a time and link them...

Anyway, here we go...
I wanted to put detailed captions but in interest of not delaying this further I am just putting one liners... Ask me where you want to know more!

Intro
For people who have been following this thread they know my journey on ICE installation in my Civic, which started with 15k budget and has already crossed 1.8L till now.
Good part is that the (expense) news is already broken to the lady of the house, and after listening to the audio she didn't realize anything wrong about it.

But now besides the LCD TV, she has added a request to upgrade the home audio to be at least as good as the car audio.

Another good and bad news about my car ICE is that I am still not over with it and would want to do more...
yes it starts from a need... becomes an interest... then hobby... then passion and then obsession...

I have already covered what equipment has gone in, in my earlier post (). So here I am just focusing on the install... It took 3 days to complete the install, with more than 34 elapsed hours going into it. What follows below in no way explains the effort involved in the installation.

The 4 Doors...

Original door when the door panel is opened

A sheet of Dynamat Extreme - Damping material (total 72 sqft of Dynamat Extreme used)

Door inside panel damped completely

Door outside panel damped completely

MDF ring mounted with foam insulation for mounting 6.5" Hertz HSK 165 component Speaker woofer

Component Crossover mounted on the door (that was also damped to avoid any plastic vibration)

Door Completed

Back to stock look (not feel)

The Feel - each of the doors have become heavy and there is a distinct sound when you close the door.
Adv - 1. My wife knows from the door sound when I return home
2. The car is even more quieter

Same treatment given to all four side doors

...Continued (Hertz Component Speakers)
Old 6th February 2007, 14:19   #488
BANNED

Oh!!! ST7677!!!
Thanks for being so generous with the pics!!!
Old 6th February 2007, 14:23   #489
Senior - BHPian

Component Speaker Hertz HSK 165 6.5"

Some photographs and a small comparison with OEM speaker (called magnet-less speaker)...

Speaker Going in

on the door

OEMs are still doing their duty on the rear tray

...Contd (The Soul Shaker)
Old 6th February 2007, 15:06   #490
Senior - BHPian

The Soul Shaker

This is where the beef lies. I choose the term Soul shaker because it touches your spine - its' loud, clean and powerful... Yes it's also sealed

Designing the box was the complex part and surprisingly I received virtually no help from the installer in the box design part. The guy looked at the spec sheet which said 1.5-3cuft for sealed and said the same thing to me.

I finally designed the box myself, trying to strike a balance between getting maximum volume for the box and still have usable space in the boot. I closed it at 2.5 cuft with lot of curves and angles.

This was the most disappointing experience from the installer, specially since he is considered to be amongst the best in the business here.
1. Apparently he did not have enough expertise to suggest on his own what volume I need to go for
2. He did not have (or knew) about t-nuts to screw the subwoofer
3. He did not have proper clips and for wiring
4. Look at the way the wire passes out of box and you will puke
5. He did not have polyfill to stuff in the box (though initially he had told me he has), so I had to go without it

Anyway, the guys were hardworking and I guess my expectations were very high. I am not naming the installer because overall I feel he did a good job and most people already know the name.

So here it goes...
Making fiberglass side mould so that the sub box fits snugly onto one side give maximum free space.

The boot plastic mould was taken out and the fiber was done on back side of it after applying some wax so that the plastic mould does not get damaged.

Fiber glass mould taken out and cut to size, this is only the first layer, later it will be reinforced

Now the fiber mould is put in the car and the box is being built around that

The box completed and reinforced with Fiber glass all throughout (this was done to have maximum volume (no braces), keep the weight low and still give strength and rigidity to the box). The orange filling you see is the airtight curing material (don't know much about this).

The big bad daddy out of the box - Adire Brahma 15" Subwoofer with XBL2 technology for Ultra low distortion

8 gauge wiring being done for the Sub (to run at 1-ohm with min wire resistance)

The sub goes into the box

This is the curvy side of the box (fiberglassed) from outside

The 35kg monster goes in the boot

This is the wire coming out of the box, which I didn't like a bit...
There was a hole made in the box which was sealer with fevicol from inside and fiberglass from outside, after passing the wire

Last edited by ST7677 : 6th February 2007 at 15:12.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:24   #491
Senior - BHPian

I YUM BAK!!

Great pics ST...

but yes YUUUUK ... what a dirty way to treat them wires - wonder why he did not use banana plugs/ binding posts / speaker terminals and such!!..

Last edited by kb100 : 6th February 2007 at 15:25.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:26   #492
Senior - BHPian

More More More More and Tons of More damping...

This was the most time and effort consuming job. Putting 72 sq ft of damping into tiny nooks and corners to get the best result seem to take almost ages...

Here are the snaps, to talk for themselves...

A view from inside the car... note the damping on the wheel wells

Doing the boot lid was the most difficult part (to reach the nooks & corners)

Finally

And the spare wheel goes in

Another advantage of this is that the car has become sound proof from both inside and outside. So this stuff is only for SQ guys, not for people who want to roll their windows down and let the town know of their arrival
Old 6th February 2007, 15:27   #493
Team-BHP Support

Is the boot damped?

Very nice pics detailing the install.

edit: just saw the answer to my question.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th February 2007 at 15:28.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:48   #494
Senior - BHPian

Finally some Wiring shiring etc

The Civic dash opened up...

0 Gauge power wire used

The installer chose to use the OEM battery connector

The main fuse being setup close to the battery

Power wiring going thru the firewall (an already existing hole was used with rubber gourmet). Later this wire was covered with a rippled tube like thing for protection.

The power wire coming inside the cabin (the suspension like thing is the steering column)

The Civic OEM Alpine HU with 6 CD changer

Power wire going to the distribution block (later the wires were tied)

The RCA wires & remote turn on wires coming out of the place where OEM HU is fixed

Scosche Line converter used to convert speaker signal from HU to line level

And Finally the Distribution box being setup in the boot...

Ah I have not forgotten about the Amps, they are just not visible.
Anyone who wants to see them will have to do that in person...

In spite of the big install, full care was taken to prevent any damage / modification to the car. Also there are no visible signs of the install (except obviously in the boot where the monster big daddy is sitting).

Though quiet heavy, the box is removable, I have tried doing it once.
Overall I am quiet happy with the sound I am getting after time effort and money spent on the whole exercise.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:58   #495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
And I hope you have budgeted for 3 sets of good 2ch RCA interconnects, and good power wiring.
And damping.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks