Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2008, 10:24   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Yes you will get all the drivers. If you can give the exact model number I can give you the link.

PS: I am using the same series and my system's model number is TX1301au. You can find the model number on the sticker beneath the laptop.
tx 1003 AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Gautam, trust me, format and reinstall XP and you will be a happy man.When i got my new lappy, the first thing i did before using the lappy was to format and install XP.
Thats what I intend to do now.

btw - anyone knows the official lowest rate for Windows Xp Proffesional ?
Old 25th March 2008, 10:29   #257
BHPian

It was 3K or so for Single user.
But why original ?
Old 25th March 2008, 10:40   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was 3K or so for Single user.
But why original ?
- Don't want any head aches later.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:36   #259
BANNED

i love vista not getting rid of it. so on desktop vista works very well and laptop xp. life is good
Old 25th March 2008, 13:39   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
- Don't want any head aches later.
Aah ! got that

Vista looks good but i have my doubts about its advantages over XP, i still find XP zippier.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:33   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aah ! got that

Vista looks good but i have my doubts about its advantages over XP, i still find XP zippier.

I agree completely... I am back to XP!
Old 25th March 2008, 16:53   #262
Team-BHP Support

The older OS is always zippier on newer hardware. I still remember doing a 12 second cold boot of Win95 in a 1999 made laptop. Therefore, 2001 released XP will definitely be faster on 2008 PCs.

But here is the fact. Microsoft moves on, so will the world. We all have seen people who wanted to stick with DOS, Win95, Win98, etc. Now it is XP.

About 6 months ago I got 3 Vista machines, one at home and two at work. We haven't experienced any major issues with Vista, which we mostly use for software development. Now that we are comfortable with it, I have ordered 4 more Vista PCs.

By next week I'll be on a new HP Vista PC (4GB RAM) which will replace my 4 year old IBM xSeries XP-Pro PC. Vista is more than a year old and SP1 is also out. That's enough waiting for me.
Old 25th March 2008, 18:08   #263
BHPian

Agreed Samurai but i would seriously like to know what advantages does Vista offer over XP ?
As far as my opinion goes, its just the eye candy nothing more.Even i will shift to Vista when it becomes compulsory,till then i will stick to XP.
My basic point is, compared to XP, Vista has heavy system requirements, but compared to that, does it really offer more in terms of features, functionality etc. which justifies the increased system requirements ?
Old 25th March 2008, 18:53   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed Samurai but i would seriously like to know what advantages does Vista offer over XP ?
As far as my opinion goes, its just the eye candy nothing more.Even i will shift to Vista when it becomes compulsory,till then i will stick to XP.
My basic point is, compared to XP, Vista has heavy system requirements, but compared to that, does it really offer more in terms of features, functionality etc. which justifies the increased system requirements ?
exactly. What we are talking about here is the advantage to resource usage ratio which is very similar to the power to weight ratio in a car. lolzzzz.

IMHO a PC/Laptop on Vista performs like a truck fitted with a moped engine.

Far too slow.

Even an XP+celeron+256 mb can give a run for money to the average Vista machines.
Old 25th March 2008, 21:24   #265
Senior - BHPian

there r some improvements but nothing in terms of performance. You can search better in Vista OR you can say I like its search feature

P.S. More i will tell as soon as i find them.
Old 25th March 2008, 21:39   #266
Senior - BHPian

ok I finally got the SP1 installed and have run the lap top for about 12 hours now.

Immediate improvements (layman terms) on the same connections I use.

Boot up speed has improved

Browsing feels faster (the pages load faster)
Old 25th March 2008, 21:57   #267
BHPian

Hi NC,

Can you post the link to the Msoft website you downloaded the update from?

I use home premium, and can't tell whether the update has been installed on my laptop or not.

thanks
rev
Old 25th March 2008, 22:27   #268
BHPian

@Vikram: My laptop has Vista home premimum came pre-installed.I'm the single user of it and dint have any other account until.........
After having gone through your post 223 and 234,i tried to remove irritating UAC,i was successfulbut but also managed to create administrative account as well which i dont need.Now when i start my laptop i get user login screen.

Now i would love to have previous settings where i dont have to deal with multiple account.
Followings screen shots will make things more clear.

BTW i changed my account name to Joy from Tanvir and i have also changed this account to stand and adminis many times(2nd pic from top)
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Vista Discussion Thread-capture0.jpg  

Windows Vista Discussion Thread-capture01.jpg  

Windows Vista Discussion Thread-capture1.jpg  

Windows Vista Discussion Thread-capture2.jpg  

Windows Vista Discussion Thread-capture3.jpg  

Last edited by rsjaurr : 25th March 2008 at 22:29.
Old 25th March 2008, 23:03   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
Hi NC,

Can you post the link to the Msoft website you downloaded the update from?

thanks
rev
Here you go mate.

its makes your vista life lot cooler. i am running it for the past 2 months ( beta) just makes your system a lot more faster. just make sure you take a backup before rolling out the sp. its again a M$ patch so play safe
Old 25th March 2008, 23:34   #270
Team-BHP Support

Guys, don't download the SP1 as a standalone, you will download 4 times larger file. Just use Windows Update, the download will be limited to 65MB.

Why move to Vista? Since the SP1 is out, more and more of my customers will move into Vista. When they start asking Vista related support questions, my team needs to be ready. They need to learn all the little quirks and tricks.

I am sure we can use XP into the next decade, in fact I still heavily use Command Prompt even though DOS went ta-ta more than a decade back. Since most new PCs come preloaded with Vista, it becomes unavoidable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks