Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 00:56   #136
BHPian

waiting for my vista ultimate 64 bit hopefully should get it in a weeks time,i use my pc for gaming and reason i didnt upgrade to vista earlier was games sucked on vista when they released the rc1 and there was no driver support but now its much better with DX10 and support for 4gb+ memory and new vista driver updates form major hardware manufacturers i think its the right time to upgrade now for gamers with dx10 hardware and 64bit cpus otherwise winxp shouldnt be a problem for another 2 or 3 years
My pc config
CPU -core2 quad 6600 (b0 stepping)with aquagate mini r120 liquid cooler
MB - evga nf680 sli
MEM - Crucial ballistix pc8500 DDR2 1066 4GB(1 x 4)
GPU - 2 Geforce 8800gtx SLI(evga + xfx)
PSU - coolermaster real power 850watt
Sound -Creative X-fi fatality extreem gamer pro
other-antec p180b cabinet,logitech g15 keyboard,MX518 mouse,Altec lansing 5.1 speakers,viewsonic 19inch ws lcd etc

keeping my fingers crossed and hope vista installs and runs trouble free
Old 20th December 2007, 14:10   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

As has been said, the sheep of the IT market will follow their MS shepherd, whatever.

Thus proving that MS can do what they like, and charge whatever they want for it. They have achieved their ambition of ruling the world.

A very unhealthy situation.
Old 20th December 2007, 23:46   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Windows Vista has Windows Mobile Device Center which is upgrade from Active Sync.
After you connect your Windows Mobile based phone just open WMDC from control panel

Thanks for your inputs guys, but my problem is not solved yet.

When I click on WMDC, this is what I get - don't know where to go from here !! Clicking on "OK" leads me nowhere.

I have found the screen that helps me establish a Relationship with my PocketPC .. but that ONLY enable me to Sync my Media files. Issue is that I need to Sync Outlook Contacts .. am still clueless about that !!
Old 21st December 2007, 12:30   #139
Senior - BHPian

Did you download the file for which I gave you the link? Download that file and install it. All your problems will be solved.

Download details: Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 for Windows Vista (32-bit)
Old 26th December 2007, 13:06   #140
Team-BHP Support

Read this and eat your heart out: IEEE survey: Microsoft is software industry's leading innovator | Tech news blog - CNET News.com
Old 26th December 2007, 16:51   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
hey guys
im Having a sony vaio VGN NR160 series . now this laptop came with vista premium.
Has somebody figured out what drivers will be required for this system to run on XP
(please note the official sony site does not give drivers for XP so i dont expect the hardware to run on XP without uts related drivers)

please help since i would really like to run my notebook on XP
Hmmmm.. maybe we can exchange licences .. I have a Sony Vaio which runs Windows XP.. Cant upgrade because I doubt I can get the drivers for the bluetooth device etc.
Old 26th December 2007, 17:21   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I bet they are manic about patenting, copyrighting or trademarking every little thing too.

This company wants to own the world, remember .
Old 26th December 2007, 19:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Hmmmm.. maybe we can exchange licences .. I have a Sony Vaio which runs Windows XP.. Cant upgrade because I doubt I can get the drivers for the bluetooth device etc.
Vista: Find Vista drivers at RadarSync
Old 26th December 2007, 20:23   #144
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But imagine, XP Pro is more expensive than Vista premium. That's like selling Baleno for higher price than SX4. Is there a message there? I am not switching to Vista before the first service pack.
Shylock: "A Daniel has come to judgement! O, wise young judge, how I do honour thee."
-- The Merchant of Venice: Shakespeare

XP Pro is much better and should sell dearer than Vista Premium. Much as Baleno should sell dearer than SX4.
But...
let the hoi polloi buy their Vistas and SX4s and revel in their thoughts -- that they've chosen wisely -- that newer must ipso facto, be better!

Ram
Old 26th December 2007, 20:40   #145
BHPian

hi,

let me share my experience with vista home basic.

i got a compaq presario v6604au notebook. it was loaded with vista. the config is as follows.

amd athlon x2 1.8g, 1600 GB Hdd, 512 Mb Ram with dvd-rw etc...

i got fed up within 15 days and installed win xp pro sp2. to my surprise the compaq website didn't list this particular model for support.(driver downloads)

i tried my best but could not find the appropriate drivers. got really frustrated and installed vista back. it was slower than a snail honestly. again i used it for 10 days with every program disabled at startup. then finally is said enough is enough. went to a dealer and got 1gb of ram installed. now i have 1gb + 512mb running and now im really happy.

it is as good as xp now in the speed department. but i still prefer xp cause it is really easy to use. but now im used to vistal so wont switch back. it is perfectly stable as i have not experienced any crashes till date.

one thing i would like to ask is, how to create a partition without formatting and re iinstalling every thing. if i use the original recovery disk, it will only install with a single partition.

please help me on this guys.

cheers
clip
Old 26th December 2007, 21:20   #146
BANNED

clipto333
Try this
Click on Start --> Right-click on Computer and select Manage.
Then, Storage --> Disk management
Old 26th December 2007, 23:18   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post

now i have 1gb + 512mb running and now im really happy.
1600 Gb ?? Vista's minimum requirement is 1 Gb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
clipto333
Try this
Click on Start --> Right-click on Computer and select Manage.
Then, Storage --> Disk management
Afaik it is not possible to split partition with operating system.
Old 27th December 2007, 00:35   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi,

let me share my experience with vista home basic.

i got a compaq presario v6604au notebook. it was loaded with vista. the config is as follows.

i got fed up within 15 days and installed win xp pro sp2. to my surprise the compaq website didn't list this particular model for support.(driver downloads)

i tried my best but could not find the appropriate drivers. got really frustrated and installed vista back. it was slower than a snail honestly. again i used it for 10 days with every program disabled at startup. then finally is said enough is enough. went to a dealer and got 1gb of ram installed. now i have 1gb + 512mb running and now im really happy.

it is as good as xp now in the speed department. but i still prefer xp cause it is really easy to use. but now im used to vistal so wont switch back. it is perfectly stable as i have not experienced any crashes till date.

one thing i would like to ask is, how to create a partition without formatting and re iinstalling every thing. if i use the original recovery disk, it will only install with a single partition.

please help me on this guys.

cheers
clip
Clipto would you like to go back to XP SP2?

My laptop is a v3611AU and the configuration is the same, except the fact that you got a bigger screen and integrated bluetooth.

I can help you with the XP drivers for your laptop except for the bluetooth & the infrared port.

I bought mine without any OS and installed XP SP2.
Old 27th December 2007, 09:54   #149
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Try a software like partition magic or similar.
Old 27th December 2007, 09:58   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
XP Pro is much better and should sell dearer than Vista Premium
Ram
Can you explain bold part of the statement?

And I have question to all people saying Vista sucks because it can not run XYZ software.
If the software doesn't run on new OS isn't it Software manufacturers fault?

eg. BMW M5 will not run on petrol which we get on highways thanks to adultration. Does that mean M5 sucks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks