Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 17:04   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

For me - Vista does suck - BIG TIME.
AGREE ! I use xp at work and vista business at home,even my 3 year old kid is always after my work laptop running xp

Its a shame that we have to put up with VISTA.
Old 18th January 2008, 18:35   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Its a shame that we have to put up with VISTA.
Totally agree to install office XP / 2003 on vista i have to edit so many user preferences.

MS prolly wants us to buy the stupid office 2007

Windows Very Irritating Stupid Time-wasting A$$***E
Old 18th January 2008, 18:48   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
X 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000

I am stuck with vista because of driver issues
it will be useful if you tell what issues you are facing.Drivers issues are the peripheral manufacturers problems,not vista's.
Old 18th January 2008, 19:13   #169
Senior - BHPian

this is a video i made of the vista bootup.My config is Intel E6600,2GB RAM,Intel 945G chipset,Nvidia GF7300 and Segate 250GB HDD.Vista boots up in 40 secs and is ready for use in 1.05 secs.Perfectly acceptable.
Old 18th January 2008, 19:24   #170
BANNED

I think its a privilege to use Vista over XP.
Quote:
Old 18th January 2008, 19:25   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
YouTube - vista bootup

this is a video i made of the vista bootup.My config is Intel E6600,2GB RAM,Intel 945G chipset,Nvidia GF7300 and Segate 250GB HDD.Vista boots up in 40 secs and is ready for use in 1.05 secs.Perfectly acceptable.
Can you share some tips on how you managed to get a 40 second boot?

Have you tweaked anything?
Old 18th January 2008, 19:47   #172
BHPian

I dont know if this is the Windows Vista Discussion thread or the Vista bashing thread...how come everyone here hates Windows so much but most of us can do without windows...I have never faced a single problem with Vista ever...agreed that Vista behaves very well with 2GB or more ram...

Quote:
YouTube - vista bootup

+1 for that...

Last edited by sabret00the : 18th January 2008 at 19:48.
Old 18th January 2008, 20:02   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Can you share some tips on how you managed to get a 40 second boot?

Have you tweaked anything?
None.
Vista optimizes itself over a few days after install.My only suggestion is to disable all the talk,chat and torrent softwares from vista startup,but that only affects my startup time by 5-6 secs.
Old 18th January 2008, 21:14   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
X 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000

Next time, don't let your driver choose your operating system!

Old 18th January 2008, 21:27   #175
BHPian

+1 for Vista!

I absolute love the super prefetch and the search. To all you ppl who use vista, please give the OS a few days to learn all your application usage habits and file indexing.
Old 18th January 2008, 22:21   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it will be useful if you tell what issues you are facing.Drivers issues are the peripheral manufacturers problems,not vista's.
With all due respect driver is just 1 issue there are lot of other issues with Vista too. Manufacturers only make drivers for vista.

I somehow managed to install all the drivers on XP but microphone was not working. Edited driver but all in vain as volume was very less.

Now i am using vista and having problems with softwares like office, nero and lot others.

Now lets take an example I like Vista (remember just as example that i like it not literally!). I install the windows and i have office XP copy and it doesn't install because vista wont support it. I have Nero but it work because Vista wont support my old version.

IMHO VISTA was never and never will be an innovative step by Microsoft, as it was the case with XP. I know XP also had some issues but they were fixed within 1 or max 2 months of its launch.

I know that drivers are the issue of manufacturers but i am stuck to use vista because of drivers and as i mentioned drivers is just 1 issue with VISTA.

@merve sir my VISTA boots in about 1 min or so i have not problem with booting but its working.

Please don't confuse me with one of those MS Haters. I am no a MS hater i like their products but they had to put more effort specially in Windows Seven if they want it to be loved by people.
Old 18th January 2008, 23:05   #177
Senior - BHPian

The problem with the software examples was also true with XP.The thing is because there is a change in the driver interface in Vista many old softwares that interact with the hardware have problems in vista,but it is not always true as many softwares do run in compatibility mode.
Software issues are that particular vendors problem.It is their responsibility to provide patches for their software,but they dont.Why will Nero bother about Ver.6 users when they are already onto Ver.8,same is the case with hardware.Nvidia tooks almost 12 months to come up with a good driver when ATi could do it in just 4-5.whose fault is it?

Also XP was not that innovative,it was just a minor tweak and interface enhancement to windows 2000.when it came out it did not even in built in USB drivers.This is not the case with vista,eg:even though 16bit soundcards are not supported by vista there are inbuilt drivers that make them usable.This was never possible with XP.

With the launch of SP1 vista will improve a lot ,the same manner in which XP did,early adopters always will face some hiccups.My point is,with the right hardware(which is not very expensive) Vista is much faster than XP and more reliable too if we compare the time periods.

I don't know about you but many people just dont bother to find solutions that are as simple as an update and then complain that the OS is crap.I also never said you were a MS hater.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 18th January 2008 at 23:07.
Old 18th January 2008, 23:21   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm an MS hater! ---in principle.

In practice, I'm an XP user.

But will not be a Vista user, because it is just horrible.

It is not the problem of the manufacturers and software authors to chase after Microsoft; it should be the problem of an OS supplier to support our hardware and our software.

That's the main part of the problem. It's like,

MS... Hey! We've made Windows Different!

US... OK, but why?

MS... We felt like it, Looks prettier, though.

No amount of prettiness makes up for being deficient in basic operations, eg the well-covered net-work-file-copy problem.

No amount of prettiness makes up for changing basic methods of using the thing. I've been using, and shouting at, windows since it began: why should I need to re-learn stuff now? No thanks.
Old 18th January 2008, 23:22   #179
Senior - BHPian

i used Vista Ultimate for about 5 months (earlier this year) and have found it to be more friendly and much better interfaced that any other windows version including XP.

Yes, there are few driver issues and thing like that, but then these are just temporary problem which will get sorted out when the manufacturers come out with a driver.

I remember the first time I installed Vista on my laptop - took 40 minutes and end of it the dam laptop was ready to use. I mean - ready to use, no need for any drivers or anything. all the default drivers were installed and all working. With XP I had to install the drivers one after another!

I guess with SP1 of Vista, things will be much better.
Old 18th January 2008, 23:28   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No amount of prettiness makes up for being deficient in basic operations, eg the well-covered net-work-file-copy problem.

No amount of prettiness makes up for changing basic methods of using the thing. I've been using, and shouting at, windows since it began: why should I need to re-learn stuff now? No thanks.
Can you explain the network copy problem in detail?

Also what stuff have you had to re-learn with vista?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks