Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 10:34   #481
BHPian

please help me configure India maps on my PND device.

I purchased this from DealExtreame

DealExtreme: $84.91 4.8" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE .NET 5.0 Core GPS Navigator + 2GB Maps SD

Give me link to download india maps software and instructions to configure it ?
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:43   #482
BHPian

Am in USA for a short while. I want to know which PND will support MGMaps to load up google/yahoo maps for offline use. Would any of the DX gps pnd's load MGMaps? I have already downloaded whole of south india level 14 from yahoo maps and works well with N70, but i wanted to use the maps on a dedicated gps pnd. Primary useage will be for highways.

Any inputs on this? I can get cheap Garmin units, even used ones from craigslist, and new ones are just around the $130 mark.

I am new to this and I am confused after reading 33 pages of this thread!

Prajwal
Old 11th August 2010, 00:08   #483

Satguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
please help me configure India maps on my PND device.

I purchased this from DealExtreame

DealExtreme: $84.91 4.8" LCD 372MHz CPU Windows CE .NET 5.0 Core GPS Navigator + 2GB Maps SD

Give me link to download india maps software and instructions to configure it ?
Satguide offers India Map at an offer of Rs.990/- Self & my friend tried it on PNDs bought from US - is working fine in Bangalore. Incase if you have not got one then give it a try.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:23   #484
Senior - BHPian

I got a Garmin Nuvi from US and ordered Satguide maps for garmin for Rs990/-. They working well and have not given me any problems for the last 10 days or so.
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:44   #485
BHPian

hello everyone

I am looking at buyin a HU for my VW Polo. here is the link:-

ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.

The specs clearly state that it is a windows CE 5. I have a few questions to ask

- I have a subscription of MAPMYINDIA. Since this is a win CE platform, will i be able to use the GPS function. I am confused because the the specs say it supports Route66,TOMTOM, IGO8,DESTINATOR , etc. but i think in Delhi, there is only MAPMY INDIA. Is there a way i can maybe use mapmyindia maps on IGO8 or TOMTOM
Or can i install the MAPMYINDIA interface on winCE and use it.

-also another question is that i have seen many people on this thread getting their products shipped from HK/China, etc. What sort of duty do you people encounter at the customs.
- this unit costs about 350$, is there a way to avoid duty (maybe by being sent as a GIFT). If there is duty how much would i have to pay at max!

thanks in advance
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:05   #486
Senior - BHPian

Since it runs Windows CE, you can run almost any GPS software on it.

MapmyIndia sells software + maps for Windows CE phones. You can purchase that and install on this HU.However, be prepared to spend a few days in tweaking it to get it to work.

Or you can install Garmin software and buy Garmin maps from MapMyIndia or Satguide.
Old 24th August 2010, 20:04   #487
Senior - BHPian

Handheld GPS

Guys, I'm on the lookout for a basic handheld GPS device. My budget is around 5k (+ or -). I know this thread has discussions about GPS for a car and I could not find any info about Handheld GPS devices. But, this is the gadgets thread and I posted it here.

I want to use this mainly on treks. AFAIK, no one has trekking maps for India (except maybe for Himalayan trails). So, I guess I will be marking my own trails on this device.

Can anybody suggest any brands and models? I am aware of Garmin and Magellan who manufacture these devices. Also please suggest any dealer in Bangalore where I can go check them out.

Thanks
Addy
Old 25th August 2010, 05:02   #488
Senior - BHPian

You might want to look at cell phones as handheld GPS. I use Nokia 5230 for this purpose, it costs 8k . You would need a water-proof case for phone.

Its battery easily lasts 5 -6 hours if you are trekking and capturing GPS logs. I use this to record bike trails. And it works in pouring rain.

And for longer trips, purchase 8 rechargeable AA cells (2700 MAH and more) and 100 - 150 charger that chares cell phone from AA cells. This will keep it going for a 2 week trip in wilderness.

For ruggedness, Garmin eTrex is the best option, but it would be costly in India.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:52   #489
Team-BHP Support

I would go with netfreaks suggestion. Even in the US, such units cost around 200$. A cell phone with GPS is your best bet.
If you are limited in budget, get the cheapest windows mobile phone you can find with bluetooth. Then buy a 50$ or something bluetooth GPS logger, and use any generic windows mobile gps software(lots of free options available).
And example is osmtracker. I think it works on symbian too.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:38   #490
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses guys. But, how effective are these cell phone GPS devices in the wilderness? I mean to say will they be able to catch signals under a tree canopy?

Actually, my brother has a Nokia 5800 with GPS. It takes 20 minutes to lock on to a signal and the battery does not last long if I use it.

I did check out the Garmin etrex on eBay, but it is priced at 8k. A little out of my budget. Are there any shops here in Bangalore where I can check it out in person?

@Netfreak, where can I get an AA cell charger for cell phones in Bangalore?
@tsk, where can I find the bluetooth GPS logger in Bangalore?
Old 25th August 2010, 11:54   #491
Team-BHP Support

The handhelds have a powerful antenna, not so sure about cell phones.
If you will be trekking in places with high mountain walls, and thick canopies its better to spend a bit more and get a garmin or lowrance unit. Lowrance may make more sense, if you are never going to use maps(very difficult to convert garmin maps to lowrance), because many units it has are designed for scouting and hunting(perimeter markings etc.,)
I think newer garmin handheld trekking units will also have quite a few bells and whistles.

If you go for a bluetooth logger, then you will have to recharge the battery of the logger separately, and it lasts 15 hours. you can buy it online from dealextreme. You can even get a model which takes AAA batteries or something.
For chargers, dealextreme again is a good bet, they have everything from handcrank to AA chargers to solar ones.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th August 2010 at 11:56.
Old 25th August 2010, 15:32   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Guys, I'm on the lookout for a basic handheld GPS device. My budget is around 5k (+ or -). ...
I think there are a couple of handheld Garmin devices on sale in the Classifieds, which were the walking / trekking kind of devices rather than the more elaborate route-guidance ones with maps meant for use in a car. Garmin would be the best.
Old 25th August 2010, 17:09   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I'm on the lookout for a basic handheld GPS device. My budget is around 5k (+ or -).
[...]
I want to use this mainly on treks. AFAIK, no one has trekking maps for India (except maybe for Himalayan trails). So, I guess I will be marking my own trails on this device.
If you stretch your budget a very little, you can buy a Garmin Forerunner series watch. I got a good deal from Amazon.com, got model 305 for $124. The battery lasts almost a full working day (10.5 hours) and it can record 3.5 hours worth of GPS track (recorded every second, you can choose smart recording to record longer hours, where it skips storing a point if you didn't change direction). You can also pre-load a path and it'll help you tracing it (turn by turn, with digital compass). If you are lost in trek, it'll guide you back to start. Optionally it'll monitor your heart too and tell you when you need rest.

I am using it to geo-tag my photographs during my treks.

I don't know if they are available in Bangalore, but folks at 20north, or if you know someone visiting US should be able to help you getting one.
Old 25th August 2010, 18:06   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The handhelds have a powerful antenna, not so sure about cell phones.
If you will be trekking in places with high mountain walls, and thick canopies its better to spend a bit more and get a garmin or lowrance unit. Lowrance may make more sense, if you are never going to use maps(very difficult to convert garmin maps to lowrance), because many units it has are designed for scouting and hunting(perimeter markings etc.,)
I think newer garmin handheld trekking units will also have quite a few bells and whistles.

If you go for a bluetooth logger, then you will have to recharge the battery of the logger separately, and it lasts 15 hours. you can buy it online from dealextreme. You can even get a model which takes AAA batteries or something.
For chargers, dealextreme again is a good bet, they have everything from handcrank to AA chargers to solar ones.
Thanks tsk, I don't think the bluetooth logger might help me. I will have to purchase a new mobile for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I think there are a couple of handheld Garmin devices on sale in the Classifieds, which were the walking / trekking kind of devices rather than the more elaborate route-guidance ones with maps meant for use in a car. Garmin would be the best.
Thanks DerAlte, The garmin I found on the classifieds is way out of my budget. There are a couple of Magellan GPSs. How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
If you stretch your budget a very little, you can buy a Garmin Forerunner series watch. I got a good deal from Amazon.com, got model 305 for $124. The battery lasts almost a full working day (10.5 hours) and it can record 3.5 hours worth of GPS track (recorded every second, you can choose smart recording to record longer hours, where it skips storing a point if you didn't change direction). You can also pre-load a path and it'll help you tracing it (turn by turn, with digital compass). If you are lost in trek, it'll guide you back to start. Optionally it'll monitor your heart too and tell you when you need rest.

I am using it to geo-tag my photographs during my treks.

I don't know if they are available in Bangalore, but folks at 20north, or if you know someone visiting US should be able to help you getting one.
One of my friends is planning to go to Singapore shortly. How are the prices there? Is it worth getting it from there?
Old 25th August 2010, 18:20   #495
BHPian

Quote:
One of my friends is planning to go to Singapore shortly. How are the prices there? Is it worth getting it from there?
No idea, ask him to check out Garmin Forerunner models in those electronics malls. If the price is equivalent to 140-150 USD (for 305, 400 series may be more expensive) ask him to buy as you won't get it cheaper from 20north or amazon's india shipping or ebay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks