Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 175 37.47%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 108 23.13%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 92 19.70%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 92 19.70%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 13:41   #466
BHPian

Primarily being a Vodafone user in Bombay and T- Mobile user when in the US I was wondering about shifting to an Airtel 4G here. Has anyone else used and a feedback with speeds and costs If any extra required will be much appreciated. Have never used the airtel network in bombay so in general is the coverage in most areas adequate.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:01   #467
BHPian

re: Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Guys, national MNP is very much active. For friends who are shifting cities, but still paying that roaming charge, just to keep the number:now is the time to Port
I have moved my wife's number from Kerala to Chennai, the very next day of the announcement. Trust Airtel to mess it up and annoy subscribers to the core.

Since I had no specific complaints against airtel, I decided to move the number from Airtel Kerala to Airtel Chennai. I raised the request, paid the outstanding and cost of new sim, and was told it would be done in 3-4 days of time. The number has been in roaming mode since 2010. Two days after raising the request, I got a call from the customer service wanting to know on why I was moving out of Airtel Kerala. I explained that we are now in Chennai, and has been roaming for the last 4 years+, and hence wanted it to be moved to Chennai circle. She then agreed, and said that she needs to close the request to start the process. I did not think much, since I was only moving the circle, and did not expect anything else, and I agreed. After a week, I had not got any update, and the old sim was still active. So I called them to check what had happened, only to be told that the porting request was cancelled by the retention team after discussing with the customer!!

Gave them a earful, and asked them the logic for trying to retain a customer when the number has not been in Kerala for more than a week a year for the last 4 years? They again agreed that it was correct, and as per records they could see that the phone has been in Chennai for a long time, but since the request was closed I should raise a fresh request for porting. I had the matter escalated and told them that I would not raise anymore requests for inter circle porting, and if they insist I would raise a request for porting to other networks, and since its internal problem, they need to deal with it. After a lot of calls, they finally did it without a new request. Not a good experience at all, and that too to move from one circle to another within the same provider!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 11th August 2015 at 16:03.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:17   #468
BHPian

Yes, there has been a few niggles here and there, but for most of my friends who have ported into Bangalore for both Airtel and Vodafone, the experience has been glitch free
Old 12th August 2015, 23:40   #469
BHPian

I ported my Vodafone Mumbai number to Vodafone Kolkata last week. I've been on roaming for nearly 18 months and was waiting for the day National MNP started. Yay! It took an hour, including 30 min waiting at a Vodafone Store but quite trouble-free.

The officer who attended to me did everything and all I had to do was hand over a copy of proof of my new address, pay a Rs 300 deposit and a token Rs 10 advance to have a 'clear bill'. He did the rest and in 4 days my old SIM stopped working as planned. I immediately put in the new SIM I had been given, completed the tele-verification and was good to go in two hours.

The downside is that within their system, the porting is = disconnection of the number followed by activation of a new connection in the new circle (with same number). This means the DND registry has to be redone (if you have it) and you get a new relationship number (small technicality). Services where mobile is registered (banks, cards, etc.) work fine. The balance credit in the old circle is repaid to you via a cheque sent to the old address so if you've vacated that address (like me) you'll have to email vodafone asap and request that the cheque be sent to the new address. (No idea why they cant do it by NEFT)

Last edited by Kumar R : 12th August 2015 at 23:45.
Old 13th August 2015, 16:29   #470
BHPian

@Kumar: can you elaborate a bit on the DND registration? I've made a few switches in the past (Vodafone -> BSNL -> Vodafone -> TATA DoCoMo) and the switch to BSNL and DoCoMo has been problematic when it comes to DND. I had to use PGPortal to get BSNL to fix the problem.

Problem being: I've been a DND subscriber since the beginning, after porting to BSNL, they thought my DND was active, but the central DND registry didn't. The way they solved this after involving PGPortal was to deactivate and re-activate my DND status.

Now the same issue has started again with my recent DoCoMo port-in. I haven't used PGPortal yet and they've not taken my request to deactivate and re-activate the DND status to solve this (I'm not sure if the same thing applies to DoCoMo also). What was your scenario?
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:39   #471
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Must say, MNP has gotten so much easier today. 4 years back, I had to knock on the doors of a Government watchdog - related thread.

Now, I wish to shift back to GSM because of the deteriorating CDMA network. Submitted an application and got through at the first shot! No hassle, no drama.

Guess its because TRAI has started imposing 5 - 10K fines on operators for wrongful MNP rejections. Well done!
Old 1st September 2016, 17:01   #472
Team-BHP Support

So, what is your opinion after the Jio announcement today ?

If possible (expecting long queues outside the stores), I will definitely buy an additional connection to check out the services. If the quality of their voice service is good, I may think of leaving Airtel (after having spent more than a decade).

But honestly, I don't trust Reliance to deliver anything better.

Opinion ?
Old 1st September 2016, 17:19   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I will definitely buy an additional connection to check out the services. If the quality of their voice service is good, I may think of leaving Airtel (after having spent more than a decade).

Opinion ?
Ditto. My experience with reliance has been decent if not good but what I am worried about is after the switch, if they hike the rates, I will not only lose the benefits of my existing provider for being an old customer but I will end up paying a lot more to reliance. Anyway will try the Jio for sure to see how it works and if it lives upto the promises
Old 1st September 2016, 17:20   #474
BHPian

Quote:

If possible (expecting long queues outside the stores), I will definitely buy an additional connection to check out the services. If the quality of their voice service is good, I may think of leaving Airtel (after having spent more than a decade).

Opinion ?
I have already got a Jio SIM and using it for data purpose (tried using Jio for few calls and felt the voice was echoing, so I use Airtel for voice), I say speed is quite good. I feel the voice quality in my Airtel is better than Jio.

Right now I have a 90 day free offer going on in the Jio SIM, but if the data rates are good, I will continue having the SIM and use it for data and Airtel being my primary number, will continue for voice.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 1st September 2016 at 17:23. Reason: Edit
Old 1st September 2016, 17:38   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Opinion ?
Have been using Jio for last 3 months. Initially the speed was pretty awesome (30-40Mbps mostly and once it peaked at 47Mbps). But for last 1.5 months around speed has gone down drastically. Specially at my home it's worse, almost always hovering around 2-3 mbps, sometime going to 7-8 Mbps and max to 10-11Mbps. Although I get decent speed while I'm at office (around 15-18Mbps), so my case might be a localized problem. Speed does increases late night, most probably there is some issue with cell capacity as my area is kinda densely populated.

Voice calls are better than Airtel for sure. I've not faced any call drops but with Airtel I need to call 2-3 times to finish a conversation. Voice quality is at par or probably better than Airtel. VoLTE calls surely sound better.

About coverage, in fact strangely I'm finding that Jio has more coverage in my state (Meghalaya) than Airtel. I was expecting Airtel to have better connectivity here but few places where I don't get Airtel signal, I'll get Jio signal. Although I'ld have to admit that I've been to many places recently.
Have been carrying two phones as of now and using Jio more and more for calls. So I'm kinda thinking about porting Airtel number to Jio if that is possible. But will probably wait for some more time and decide.
Old 1st September 2016, 23:57   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
But what I am worried about is after the switch, if they hike the rates, I will not only lose the benefits of my existing provider for being an old customer but I will end up paying a lot more to reliance. Anyway will try the Jio for sure to see how it works and if it lives upto the promises
Quote:
So, what is your opinion after the Jio announcement today ? But honestly, I don't trust Reliance to deliver anything better.
Opinion ?
Jio isn't groundbreaking by a long shot. The 3 month free thing is a way to test the network. Also, there are no free calls as such. Reliance is introducing free calls as VoLTE or Voice over LTE. What this means is that you will pay for calls in the form of data, which is around an MB per min. Not exactly cheap. Plus the plans aren't at Rs. 50/GB as Mr. Ambani claimed. More like 300 for two GB's. The 50/gb figure appears when you buy a Rs 5000/75 GB plan.

And just FYI, as an Indian I want to feel happy about this, but deep down I know this is just a bait and switch. This is Reliance's chance to grab a huge chunk of the market share from Airtel and other mobile providers and they are doing it by generating hype for LTE which is still emerging in India. Once they create a large user base they will Steadily increase prices till they reach the desired profit margin. The Ambanis didn't get rich by giving away stuff. This is a business venture, not philanthropy.

Also there is a catch in the form of data mining and deep packet sniffing. They are openly admitting that they are trying to find ways to monetize data collected from their network. Remember that if the product is free, you are the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?-jio_1472738328475.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2016, 00:58   #477
BHPian

Volte calls will not be counted from data balance
Old 2nd September 2016, 02:01   #478
Senior - BHPian

After a failed stint at the "Free Basics", they've come up with Jio. Surely there's no change of heart. So, what's the catch ?

"Data is the new oil.", Mukesh Ambani.
Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?-14233079_10206382010298316_7385468651353895151_n.jpg

http://m.ndtv.com/profit/for-relianc...ut-jio-1453096

Well, atleast he's being frank about it. And it's not like a surveillance system with artificial intelligence being deployed to understand & use our data. Or is it ?

Mobile Number Portability: Will you switch operators?-img_20160901_122624.jpg
Prices : A normal light user prefers spending ~Rs.150 for 1GB of 3G data. NO strings attached.

Jio charges Rs.150/- for 300mb of data (validity for a month). Using 4G, even lightly, IMO is going to finish that 300 MB in barely a few days.

Even the higher plans, Rs.500/- for 4GB, would last pretty less in 4G speeds. And Rs.125/GB is nothing crazy low!

Whereas, using my Vodafone 3G, I manage to last ~20-25 days with light usage of 1GB data in 3G speeds.

Not porting anytime soon.
Old 2nd September 2016, 03:38   #479
BHPian

Free basics was from rcom Anil Ambani led group while Jio is from the Mukesh group
Old 2nd September 2016, 10:00   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

I read a report that currently, the Jio SIM works on a set of specific cellphone models only, which are approved by Jio. Is it true? My friend was using his SIM on his Mi5 phone which isn't covered by Jio. So how does it work?

I use an iPhone 5s and as much as I want to experience the Jio, I am not ready to get another just for that SIM. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks