Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 13:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Very rightly said Busa. There is no comparing the Swift VDi. Fiat or no Fiat, that car has class. But still, Gemi does have a point - F.E. should be on comparable cars. Because going by your logic, Maruti should be hung, drawn and quartered for using the 1.3 petrol.

In any case, I think EMD would do well with a Swift. It is too risky to recommend a Fiat even now. Unless the owner knows what he/she is getting into. Not that I am complaining.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
My Palio on full throttle gives - 4.5kmpl a Swift on full throttle gives - 8.25 kmpl, PERIOD
Here goes the Joke of the day!
Old 21st May 2007, 13:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Here goes the Joke of the day!
Why should it be a joke? If that is whay he has experienced, then have the grace to admit it.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Thank goodness the Maruti Baleno has been phased out no? And going by your logic, there should be no more new 'What Car?' threads as people can read all the old tripe in other posts in other threads. Sorry for being rude.
Well frankly, we have enough What Car? threads to cover almost every car in the Indian market right now, including the new ones. So we could actually go without starting new ones, till a new car is launched. Though we usually allow them, since for majority of the Indian public, it's the most important first step towards motoring. Not everybody is an enthusiast and we are considerate towards that sentiment.

See TypeO, I'll probably say this for the last time. Nobody really has an issue with anybody suggesting any car. Those who own a Palio will suggest that, those who own will suggest Swift. There are those who have quite a bit of experience will both, and will present an argument on why which one is better. It's upto the end user to decide which one to pick, a buyer usually knows what he wants, he just wants the added security of knowing that he is making the right choice. I like the Palio too, I extensively looked for a used GTX before I bought the Swift. I have friend who's bought a brand new Palio GTX and never got more than 5 kmpl in the city from day one. His father and my father are friends, do you still think my father would buy a Palio?

Have you read some of the arguments made on this thread and other FIAT thread? Can you really warrant phrases such as " far superior than any other car", "features that no other car has, " somebody even said " the Adventure build quality is so good that you would not need addition electronic safety gizmos." Come on man, who are we kidding. While we all understand that the owners are passionate and rightfully so. It's a great looking car and handles well and has a good engine. But it's not the only one. And we can ignore them above statements only as many times.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

@ Typeone i have said in post number 42

Quote:
if your looking at FE, please dont look at the Palio.
FE is not the Palio's main forte but performance(1.6) and build quality the car excels.

Oh ya, features wise the Swift is much better, Palio doesnot come with ABS or Airbags anymore, which is sad

Last edited by BUSA : 21st May 2007 at 13:47.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
"features that no other car has, " somebody even said " the Adventure build quality is so good that you would not need addition electronic safety gizmos."

someone said, the adventure is so safe that you do not need ABS, airbags etc.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

where is the owner of this thread!!! Truly Hope that he has not run off!
Old 21st May 2007, 13:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Car owned: 2003 Fiat Palio S10.

Driving Style: Not fast, not slow. Fast but safe and road and traffic conditions dictate speed, gear shifting etc. In short, normal driving style.

Daily driving: 70% highway 30% city.

Other parameters: A/C works 100% of the time except for a few weeks in the winter months from mid November to mid January. Fuel is switched between regular unleaded with System G and Xtra premium. Air pressure at 26Psi for all 4 tyres.

Type of Tyre: Michellin.

No. of people in car: most of the time 1 (me) to a maximum of 2 people. Avg weight: male 67 kgs and Female 50 kgs.

Kms done: almost 50,000kms.

Fuel efficiency: Overall average monthly fuel efficiency from my log book.

1. November 2006: 11.61kmpl.
2. December 2006: 12.09kmpl.
3. January 2007: 12.30kmpl.
4. February 2007: 12.73kmpl.
5. March 2007: 11.50kmpl.
6. April 2007: 11.30kmpl.

Worst mileage: 8.67kmpl. This was acheieved during the first tank full when car was brand new.

Best mileage: 18.67kmpl

Last service details:

1. Dealer : Shaman Tata-Fiat.

2. Total Amount spent: Rs. 3003.

3. Routine replacement items: oil filter Rs. 78.xx, Fuel Filter Rs. 76.xx, Air Filter Rs. 207.xx.

4. Sample cost of non fast running spares cost: Both front suspension mountings were changed on Oct 18, 2006 at Rs. 592.xx per uit.

5. Service expereince at Shaman: Till last routine service was average but last repair job visit expreince was pathetic.

6. Quaity of service and repairs: Average.

Last edited by amit : 21st May 2007 at 14:10.
Old 21st May 2007, 13:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well frankly, ..... And we can ignore them above statements only as many times.
Frankly, I am not a big fan of superlatives myself. I hate any thing, car, headache pill or vacuum cleaner being presented as a blemish-less be all and end all of utility. I am not against you having anything against Fiat - if you hate the car, I could not care less. You have an opinion and are entitled to it. I was only pointing out a double standard and the ease with which you let your irritation show - you being a mod. If you find some one making tall claims, call them out. I have done it and would expect you to do the same. Not make blanket statements.

And mind you, I am not recommending the Palio. LOL

@BUSA,

dude I was referring to this -

Quote:
Fiat owns the 1.3 engine themselves and still selling us crappy 1.9 engine with 63 bhp with CRDi, enough of making Indians fools by saying Fuel Quality is crap and all.
I was trying to point out that you were right on the F.E. bit, but Maruti also sells old stuff.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I was only pointing out a double standard and the ease with which you let your irritation show - you being a mod. If you find some one making tall claims, call them out. I have done it and would expect you to do the same. Not make blanket statements.
I do not take well to accusations, and I would like you to prove my double standards. If not here, by PM please. My job as a moderator is to make sure the quality of the forum remains and to address any support issues. It means that I could express my opinion as freely as I could get irritated. Especially when I read the same thing the giga-gazillionth time. If I had double standards, you would have seen infractions for pushing the Palio and none for the Swift. What I said, was as subtley as I could put it, and not offensive in any way.

And those who have been making tall claims have been called out, over and over and over again.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not take well to accusations, a..... making tall claims have been called out, over and over and over again.
I am not accusing you. And there is always one more time.

P.S. Check your PMs.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:12   #57
Team-BHP Support

haa haa haaaa... ok. timeout guys. i know... its all old hat by now. its been repeated so many times. IMO a better option for members is probably to post a link to one of those Fiat threads.

And i did not want to say things (and hence was not posting till now) but remember one thing please. this guy, EMD, has already said that he is a total newbie to the world of cars. The least you people can do is also tell him the downsides of owning a Fiat. And please... I am not anti-fiat and all that. However I think for someone buying his first car with so much calculations and dreams the experience should be a complete one (exhilerating). Or at least he should take a knowledgeable decision. Else disillusionment sets in pretty early.

Mind you, all that is not meant to say that Fiat cars are not to be bought. In fact 1.6 is a fantastic car in its own rights. However, EMD I would suggest you do some more research before you decide things.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:17   #58
BHPian

This has become a war zone.. :-)
Let's stop the Fiat and anti Fiat thing and concentrate on the guy's requirement.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

EMD
Forget Swift, Palio
Go for WagonR VXi. Easy to drive, low on maintainance, good FE, reliable and cheap. No controversy, no fights.
Peace all around.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
EMD
Forget Swift, Palio
Go for WagonR VXi. Easy to drive, low on maintainance, good FE, reliable and cheap. No controversy, no fights.
Peace all around.
Actually this is the best recco. Makes sense for a newbie car owner as well. LOL
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks