Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 14:12   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't buy this argument. Many won't. And you are talking about the present day scenario? The difference between petrol and diesel is way less that 1.5 Lakhs nowadays for a small car! - check out the prices.

IMO, just buy a diesel, and you'll see an automatic increase in the number of Kms that you drive in a month! You can't really fix the no. of Kms that you run in a month before deciding on a petrol or diesel - it really depends on your car and the type of fuel. (at least for me it is like that) It works differently here.. I want to go home on a weekend, I will just take the diesel car and drive if I have that. If I have a petrol car, I'll probably leave it in my office parking and take a long distance bus - you see.

I guess you already know that mallu land is known for diesel cars - just come to Kerala and count the number of Swift diesels Vs. Swift petrols that are running here and you'll know.

Finally, the extra amount that you pay initially and the how much distance you need to run your can to even out the figures to a petrol car's cost all will only remain in your excel sheets or papers- once you start driving the diesel car, you'll forget about all these. I know what I am talking about as I have a petrol car and a diesel one.

@clevermax: well i agree with what you say. Running a diesel car does not burn your pocket on a day to day basis. But, i guess you have missed out few lines in my previous post, I have clearly mentioned buying a petrol or diesel car would be purely need based. If you are currently driving around a lot then diesel makes a lot of sense. Whether it will invite you to drive more or not is purely subjective. Some people may just want a car for normal routine and do nothing additional. So, the best person to decide would be gemithomas himself. Many wont be so enthusiastic to drive around in a car wherever they go just like you and me. I myself own a diesel car. I know the advantages and disadvantages, i have owned a petrol car as well.

I request you to kindly checkout the prices yourself once again. The minimum difference itself is 1 lakh between Ritz VXi and Ritz VDi and the maximum difference is what i have furnished which is for i20.
With government keeping high subsidies for diesel not only mallu land every other land is using more and more diesels, moreover the diesel engine technology which has achieved so much refinement is to be noted as well. If not diesel is costlier fuel than petrol. and why should i count the number of swift petrol vs swift diesels running? it is obvious that diesels will outnumber as it is evident that most of the people are going to park the petrol cars in their office parking lot and take a long distance bus!!! so even if the petrol cars are more they are not taken often right. so diesel will be obviously the maximum running.
well excel sheets are very important. it is not made to forget but to implement. It works the same way at your office as well i guess. If you implement you take the benefit.

How is your Punto performing by the way?? I own a Getz Prime CRDi.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

@WDP2
I think the minimum difference between a Petrol and diesel is less than 1 lakh, (65-70K?) at least for few models. I didn't know Ritz D is 1L costlier than petrol.

Why I stressed about Kerala having more diesels than say Blr is that I've seen cars in both these places. When I came to Kerala an year back, I was surprised by the number of diesels running here as opposed to a city like Blr - the percentage of diesel car to petrol for a given model is definitely higher (way higher) here.

When I bought Punto recently, there was a small discussion in the family whether to buy petrol or diesel. Finally decided to go for diesel even though the monthly running is not very high. For me it is the Peace of mind factor I just forgot about the premium I paid for diesel and now enjoy each and every fuel top-up and the FE figures I am not an excel sheet kind of person who keeps tab of all the expenditure and worries/gets delighted over it it at the end of a month or financial year but as you can see it happens instantaneously over every spending.

Punto has so far run almost 5000 Kms. Got steering box replaced under warranty due to a leak in the steering box a week back. Enjoying every bit of the drive, but I wish it had VGT. Faced some GC issues because I am used to Palio.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th February 2010 at 14:44.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:32   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
@WDP2
I think the minimum difference between a Petrol and diesel is less than 1 lakh, (65-70K?) at least for few models. I didn't know Ritz D is 1L costlier than petrol.

Why I stressed about Kerala having more diesels than say Blr is that I've seen cars in both these places. When I came to Kerala an year back, I was surprised by the number of diesels running here as opposed to a city like Blr - the percentage of diesel car to petrol for a given model is definitely higher (way higher) here.

When I bought Punto recently, there was a small discussion in the family whether to buy petrol or diesel. Finally decided to go for diesel even though the monthly running is not very high. For me it is the Peace of mind factor I just forgot about the premium I paid for diesel and now enjoy each and every fuel top-up and the FE figures I am not an excel sheet kind of person who keeps tab of all the expenditure and worries/gets delighted over it it at the end of a month or financial year but as you can see it happens instantaneously over every spending.

Punto has so far run almost 5000 Kms. Got steering box replaced under warranty due to a leak in the steering box a week back. Enjoying every bit of the drive, but I wish it had VGT. Faced some GC issues because I am used to Palio.
well buddy. neither do i workout an excel sheet for this. The calculations i referred were purely mind based. Think and act instantly. Instead of working on excel sheets i will spend time in driving my car. I like it so much.
You are right, bangalore has lesser diesels. But, now the tide is turning slowly over here i guess i am spotting more diesels.
The biggest truth of today is all Diesel cars are outperforming the petrol cars. My CRDi pumps out 110 bhp and jesus when the VGT kicks in its just blitzkreiging. The best thing i like is imagine going on a express highway, midnight, pitch dark, just your car with headlights on, the road markers reflecting the trace of the road and then in midst of this the VGT kicks in, woooow i really feel like running for a take off from a runway. sheer power, outperforming even bigger machines. I test drove the Punto Multijet, Swift VDi and never drove Getz Prime CRDi, i have driven Verna CRDi and Getz Prime 1.3 GLS, I clocked 190 on the verna CRDi and 170 with Getz Prime, I understood how sturdy the Getz was and was convinced to take this car. Very frankly in all the three hatches Punto is more planted to the road when taking curves at high speeds. Hyundai has not done enough to tune the Getz Suspension and steering to adapt according to the high torque engine. But, in a straight line it even kills an octavia, innova, corolla outrightly. I tried racing around with a Laura, but still it was damn competitive.
All the highways i have been driving on I have seen only Diesel variants gearing up for a race. Seriously petrol dont seem to stand a chance. The second generation DI engines have made a real big point over here.

Why didnt you consider a non-fiat car for a second one? i agree punto looks very good, or may be why you did not opt for a sedan??
Old 11th February 2010, 11:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support:

Guys lets not go offtopic and please stick to discussing the cars that gemithomas has shortlisted. Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 12:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

The bargains are going on in full swing. I have reached 10K cash discount, basic MGA accessories, Seat Cover and Steering Cover. I'm also getting some discount on the central locking (MGA) and Fog lamp that i would be buying.

Do you guys think i can bargain for more. I am not exchanging my car with them since i'm getting a higher price from another buyer. Please let me know if you think the offer could be bettered if i persist..
Old 11th February 2010, 13:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I have reached 10K cash discount, basic MGA accessories, Seat Cover and Steering Cover.
You should negotiate further. Such deal is available for Ritz Petrol which is fast moving. As you are buying a diesel, you should bargain for much more.
Old 13th February 2010, 22:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki is advertising in kerala that there is Rs.15000 offer on Ritz Diesel (It mentions that this includes consumer offer and exchange bonus). The dealers say that there is no consumer offer.

If i need any kind of discount they want me to give them a copy of r.c book and insurance and later the new r.c with changed name of buyer of my car. And aftr all this they say they can give me only 5K discount + some accessories. So actually what happens in they claim the 15K discount from Maruti suzuki and they try to pass the minimum possible to the customer. What an idea sirji!!!

And this behaviour by the best customer friendly car network has got me thinking. Yes. I might decide on another car!!!
Old 15th February 2010, 09:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Still Bargaining. Even todays news paper carries an advertisement stating Rs.15000 discount on Ritz D. It mentions that this includes consumer offer and exchange bonus. The dealers are saying that Ritz has got only exchange bonus.

They want me to give them copy of present RC book and also later with the new owners name. To me this means that they will claim to maruti and get their share of the discounts refunded from maruti. My doubt is in that case should they not be giving me the whole 15K discount!!!!

What do you guys think?
Old 15th February 2010, 10:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still Bargaining. Even todays news paper carries an advertisement stating Rs.15000 discount on Ritz D. It mentions that this includes consumer offer and exchange bonus. The dealers are saying that Ritz has got only exchange bonus.

They want me to give them copy of present RC book and also later with the new owners name. To me this means that they will claim to maruti and get their share of the discounts refunded from maruti. My doubt is in that case should they not be giving me the whole 15K discount!!!!

What do you guys think?
If there is a corporate discount included in that 15k and if your company is not in the list, then you will not be getting the benefit of the corporate discount. If they claim that the entire 15k is exchange bonus, then get it from them in writing and email a copy of it to Maruti with the details. Rest assured, the dealer will be running behind you. Maruti takes such things very seriously unlike some other manufacturers who are least bothered. They are asking you for the copy of the RC book to process the exchange bonus.
Old 18th February 2010, 09:37   #70
BHPian

Maruti is giving more discount over here in Guwahati, it seems. This attachment is from today's newspaper.

scan0001.pdf
Old 18th February 2010, 10:07   #71
BHPian

Gemi.

Here is my school of thought.

Firstly I am not able to digest the fact that you are turning your back towards the Italian star . But since you have already made up your mind on Maruthi, I am not getting into diverting your choices to other cars as one's requirements are subjective.

After driving your FIAT motor for years, I dont think you will be anywhere near satisfied with a Ritz. Come one Gemi, family or not, handling, thrill and fun rides are always an integral part of a motorhead's life. I am in the same league as yours and hence I can relate a lot(family with a 4 year old kid). So even if the Swift is an old model in the market with crampy interiors and all those, I feel you should go for it.That way within your compromised criterias(ie Maruthi and nothing else), you shouldn't again compromise the enjoyment that you get by driving. !

So I say Swift (with a heavy heart though) !
Old 18th February 2010, 12:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Gemi.

Here is my school of thought.

Firstly I am not able to digest the fact that you are turning your back towards the Italian star . But since you have already made up your mind on Maruthi, I am not getting into diverting your choices to other cars as one's requirements are subjective.

After driving your FIAT motor for years, I dont think you will be anywhere near satisfied with a Ritz. Come one Gemi, family or not, handling, thrill and fun rides are always an integral part of a motorhead's life. I am in the same league as yours and hence I can relate a lot(family with a 4 year old kid). So even if the Swift is an old model in the market with crampy interiors and all those, I feel you should go for it.That way within your compromised criterias(ie Maruthi and nothing else), you shouldn't again compromise the enjoyment that you get by driving. !

So I say Swift (with a heavy heart though) !
Thanks a lot. There has been a change in plan. The Maruti is out. Here is the story that unfolded over the last 3 weeks

- The first step was that i Spoke to 3 dealers in my city and informed them my interest in the car.
- All of them said that there are no discounts available on the Ritz Diesel model
- One of these days i saw a advertisement in the newspaper stating there was Rs.15,000 offer on Ritz Diesel. The advertisement specifically mentioned that the offer includes Consumer Offer and Exchange Bonus.
- i call up the dealers and they say there is no consumer offer. There is only exchange bonus and since i am not giving my car to them i am not eligible for that. I mention that the advertisement specifically mentions that there is consumer offer and exchange bonus. But they say its not there.
- Spoke to a dealer close to my native place. He straight away tell me he can give me Rs.10,000 cash discount and basic accessories and a seat cover worth Rs.1500/- which could be upgraded to fake leather if i pay the difference.
- Speak to the dealers in my city based on this. They now say they can give me Rs.5000 discount if i give them a copy of my old cars r.c book and proof that i have sold it.
- I bargain for 3 weeks and this reaches Rs.5000 Cash Discount, MGA Central locking worth Rs.5,500, MGA Basic Accessories worth Rs.1500, Wheel Cover worth Rs.1600. In total a deal worth Rs.13,600/-
- In the meanwhile i am enquiring with them about the service costs for the Ritz Diesel. One guy tells me that i need to service every 10K km. Another guy tells me i need to service every 5K km and then only will i get warranty claims. The quote for the Diesel Filter price was the best. One guy fought with me stating that it is only Rs.800/- while i was sure it will be above 1k. Later on another guy tells me that it is Rs.1800 for the part alone. fitting charges extra. I am told that need to change this every 10K. That means that for "my" running i would be spending all my savings on the service cost.
- Though the confusion was within i just decided to go ahead and book it since it was diesel and maruti.
- While making booking the guy tells me that he cant write the discounts offered and give it to me. I ask them to put a seal on a white paper and write. No seal is possible is what he says. Since he assures me that he will ensure the discount/accessories come with the car at time of delivery i agree. I start signing the forms. One of the forms has the heading. Offers Given to Customer. He wants my sign down but he would not write the offers....

...i walk out.

PS. I had sent a mail to maruti helpline to clarify the offers mentioned in the newspaper and that told by the dealers. A week now I have not even got a acknowledgement mail. Leave alone clearing my doubt.

I know maruti will not loose anything. They'll get enough and more customers for their cars until the time they are able to keep the "perception" of good customer support. But here i also dont loose. Infact i gain close to a lakh in savings for a car that has 10 times more features than the MAruti i was looking at.

God Bless.

Last edited by gemithomas : 18th February 2010 at 12:45.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

so which car are you buying finally?

Quote:
Thanks a lot. There has been a change in plan. The Maruti is out. Here is the story that unfolded over the last 3 weeks
But here i also dont loose. Infact i gain close to a lakh in savings for a car that has 10 times more features than the MAruti i was looking at.

God Bless.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
- While making booking the guy tells me that he cant write the discounts offered and give it to me. I ask them to put a seal on a white paper and write. No seal is possible is what he says. Since he assures me that he will ensure the discount/accessories come with the car at time of delivery i agree. I start signing the forms. One of the forms has the heading. Offers Given to Customer. He wants my sign down but he would not write the offers....

God Bless.
Usually the dealers wont put in writing about the offers and discounts. But most of them stick to their verbal commitments. I went thru this during my recent purchase of my Chevy. So let this not be the deciding criteria.

But wait ..What am i doing here ? Why I am i trying to convince you here when you have walked out of Maruti ? Thats a good move man. Just look out, there are many better cars, I am not quoting names right away as people will brand me as chauvinist !

So what do you have in mind ?

PS :Thread name requires a change now !
Old 18th February 2010, 14:34   #75
BHPian

hey gemi the plot is still incomplete
what have u gone for now .hope it is a fiat cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks