Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 14:34   #556
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
The calculation is 12% of the depreciated value of the vehicle as road tax to be paid in KA RTO.
Any clue how they calculate depreciation ? What %ge per year ?
Old 16th November 2011, 14:50   #557
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Any idea on how much would be the approx tax of a non-KA Alto, 2008 regn ?. Would be retaining the existing number

Is there any online link/calculator to find this out ?
Using the invoice value as base, calculate depreciated value at 7% per year compounded. Roughly 14% of depreciated value will be the amount you need to shell out for KA road tax and other miscellaneous charges.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:53   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Any clue how they calculate depreciation ? What %ge per year ?
See the attached pdf with the tax details. Please look in the four wheeler section.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KMVTA 2010.pdf (543.0 KB, 1077 views)
S5157 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 15:22   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Am attaching a copy of the high court judgement which clearly states that if a non KA vehicle is plying in KA for a period less than 11 months, RTO can't force them to pay the road tax and the onus is on RTO to prove that this guy has been in KA for period more than 11 months.

For all those who get caught, I would advice to take the legal route (by filing a contempt of court case against RTO, citing the attached judgement)

Before that, just flash the copy of this judgement whenever some one catches you and then there are chances that you might be let off (cos who wants to drag his life in a contempt of court case) ?
This same judgement was posted by me over 2 yrs ago on this very thread on pg 18 but thanks for posting it again.

Last edited by manishk123 : 16th November 2011 at 15:24.
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:00   #560
BHPian

A known got challaned for 30k+ in November. Careful fellas.
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:57   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
A known got challaned for 30k+ in November. Careful fellas.
Most people prefer to just cough up the fine instead of going thru the hassle of going to court. The cops know this so they continue to fine such people. Going to court is very tedious but until more people start taking this route the cops won't relent.
Old 8th December 2011, 08:39   #562
Senior - BHPian

They are doing it in Electonics City, just read about a guy who a 56K tax demand on his Santro . It seems the cops/RTO whatever took away the copy of his papers and threatened to sieze his car if he didn't get them the original. I think for 56K it is worthwhile to fight, these guys do nothing except targetting outsiders seems to be their only profession. The car has been in KA only for 6 months, so he can fight it out.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:57   #563
Senior - BHPian

There is a RTO check going on today outside Gopalan Mall, Bannerghatta Road.

All out station vehicles are being pulled over.
Old 14th December 2011, 09:18   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
There is a RTO check going on today outside Gopalan Mall, Bannerghatta Road.

All out station vehicles are being pulled over.
+1 to this guys. Those guys are out there today too. Just pulling over any non-KA vehicles they see. Close call for me as well! Avoid the junction if possible.

Looking up the Automobile Association number to possibly start the process. This is extortion man - pay up in KA and forget about what your owed by the government!

EDIT: Forgot to ask the question: what should people do to protect themselves given that its not feasible to avoid taking the vehicle out in these times? Is there someway to get a challan or receipt that shows we are processing the road tax payment to avoid the harassment?

Last edited by ddis_dude : 14th December 2011 at 09:40. Reason: Added question.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:11   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
See the attached pdf with the tax details. Please look in the four wheeler section.
I could not make head or tail about the the percentage figures shown for vehicles which are already registered.

For Example: I have a 2007 motorcycle who's value exceed 50K. According to the table it shows me a figure of 75%.

Does this mean the LTT I would need to pay would be 75% of 12% of Cost of vehicle?

And Cost of vehicle in the state it was purchased or the current state?

Also will it be cost of vehicle at the time of purchase or the current value of the vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Am attaching a copy of the high court judgement which clearly states that if a non KA vehicle is plying in KA for a period less than 11 months, RTO can't force them to pay the road tax and the onus is on RTO to prove that this guy has been in KA for period more than 11 months.

For all those who get caught, I would advice to take the legal route (by filing a contempt of court case against RTO, citing the attached judgement)

Before that, just flash the copy of this judgement whenever some one catches you and then there are chances that you might be let off (cos who wants to drag his life in a contempt of court case) ?
Quote:
This article appeared in todays Bangalore Mirror ( page 5)

http://http://www.bangaloremirror.co...g-techies.html

from the article, this stood out : This is what the rule book says: Any outstation registration vehicle entering Karnataka with its owner planning a permanent stay should intimate the RTO, give change of address application and pay the state road tax within 30 days.

The tax is calculated based on the type and age of the vehicle. For re-registration with a new number, 12 months is the deadline. A NoC from the mother state RTO should be obtained. The same rule applies for sale of outstation registered vehicles.

Both the above posts contradict each other!! One mentions 1 month whilst the other is 11 months.

I'm sure even the BLR traffic police have no idea what the real rule is.

Now I need to do something as my bike and car both have out of station registration numbers!
Old 14th December 2011, 10:16   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
It seems the cops/RTO whatever took away the copy of his papers and threatened to sieze his car if he didn't get them the original.
This is illegal. They have no right to seize the car or demand original documents. Once you hand over the original papers, they won't return it until you pay up. This is how they play.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:21   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This is illegal. They have no right to seize the car or demand original documents. Once you hand over the original papers, they won't return it until you pay up. This is how they play.
As far as I am aware, if you are taking your car out of state, then it is a pan-India rule that you must always carry original RC, Insurance and Emission Certificate. So traffic police are well within their rights to demand original documents.

From my personal experience, I have driven Bangalore registered cars/bikes in TN and KL. Always carried documents in original. Got stopped a couple of times, and when I produced original documents they simply let me go.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 14th December 2011 at 10:23.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:31   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Does this mean the LTT I would need to pay would be 75% of 12% of Cost of vehicle?

And Cost of vehicle in the state it was purchased or the current state?

Also will it be cost of vehicle at the time of purchase or the current value of the vehicle?

Both the above posts contradict each other!! One mentions 1 month whilst the other is 11 months.

I'm sure even the BLR traffic police have no idea what the real rule is.

Now I need to do something as my bike and car both have out of station registration numbers!
The tax amount is calculated based on the invoice amount of the vehicle. Not the current value.

Regarding road tax payment, I think its 11 months and not 1 month.

Yes it will be 75% of 12% of Cost of vehicle for you.

Last edited by arun_josie : 14th December 2011 at 10:32.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:38   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The tax amount is calculated based on the invoice amount of the vehicle. Not the current value.

Regarding road tax payment, I think its 11 months and not 1 month.

Yes it will be 75% of 12% of Cost of vehicle for you.
Thank you for your prompt response

Just a last dumb koshun, the invoice amount is from a different state where the value of the vehicle was different. So I assume I would do a 75% of 12% of Invoice Amount from the different state. Right?

I will do the payment for my motorcycle as I will be keeping it with me for a really long time. But my car will be sold back in the purchased state in the coming few months. Plus I do have toll paid receipts all the way from Mumbai to BLR which are just about a month old. So I am hoping I am going to be safe
Old 14th December 2011, 10:56   #570
BHPian

My friend who has been living in Karnataka for last 10+ years, Studied and working now. Bought a Alto K10 from his hometown in KL. Reason its cheaper there! This is a little hard to digest for me, that to save a couple of bucks he is actually did this. To add, he is scouting for a place to buy and plans to live in Bangalore only!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks