Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 01:16   #706
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

I'm sorry if this is an off topic question but why is the Karnataka RTO so hell bent on inspecting out of state cars??I understand the part about road tax evaders but isn't it the same in all states??I don't see the other states being so proactive??

Well yes,the RTO Chennai here did inspect out of state vehicles last week but quite frankly that is the first instance I'm hearing about here!!

And how about the PY registered BMW's and Audi's,are they being let off??
Old 4th February 2012, 09:03   #707
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

This trend is sure to catch up in places with high input of people moving in from other states wrt to their jobs.

Bangalore first followed by Chennai and Hyderabad soon.
Old 4th February 2012, 17:30   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally I payed road tax for my wife's two wheeler. It took just 15 mins(on a week day) in electronic city RTO. They asked for invoice and vehicle registration card to calculate the road tax amount, nothing else. The total amount came to Rs. 3552 for a 2008 model Activa. Initially the agents were demanding for 6K-7K for Road Tax payment.

Now I will have to get the NOC from Hyd to re-register the activa here.
Old 4th February 2012, 17:33   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Friends,
please watch out , theres a serious non KA hunt started.Please see that you have valid insurance,Emission and all other legal reqmnts ready in the vehicle.
(Licence,Rear reflectors, lights,apprvd sun films)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Today afternoon, I saw them in Sumo near Electronic City. They had caught a Maxi Cab, I think they were trying to catch interstate vehicles of Corporate Guys. Beware
RTO caught me today morning at Mekri circle (Just before Mekri circle while coming from Sadasivanagar police station). I was driving my brothers another state registered car and the cops noted me from much distance itself as they were mostly looking for other state cars.

RTO asked me for the documents and how long I was in Bangalore. Thank God, I had toll receipts of my last recent trip (22 Jan) along with copies of documents and showed it to him.

He fined me Rs. 600 for an expired emission certificate and let me go.

By this time, the cops stopped two more other state cars. I think the hunt is ON!
Old 4th February 2012, 17:38   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I'm sorry if this is an off topic question but why is the Karnataka RTO so hell bent on inspecting out of state cars??I understand the part about road tax evaders but isn't it the same in all states??I don't see the other states being so proactive??

Well yes,the RTO Chennai here did inspect out of state vehicles last week but quite frankly that is the first instance I'm hearing about here!!

And how about the PY registered BMW's and Audi's,are they being let off??
Its because, what is 6% in Kerala is 14% and above in Karnataka ( read Road Tax) .

Golden ducks are always checked daily
Old 4th February 2012, 17:46   #711
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Finally I payed road tax for my wife's two wheeler. It took just 15 mins(on a week day) in electronic city RTO. They asked for invoice and vehicle registration card to calculate the road tax amount, nothing else. The total amount came to Rs. 3552 for a 2008 model Activa. Initially the agents were demanding for 6K-7K for Road Tax payment.

No need sir,You state that you have paid tax for KA and vehicle is regd in AP.Its used 3 months in each state and future you plan to settle in AP.

Im having one scoprio running in Bangalore paying KA tax & reg in TN .No issues , its legally ok. No RTO will harass you, only small time cop will demand.Where you can put your foot down.

Once you pay KA tax, you can just ignore them and slowly they will ignore you.

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2012 at 10:51. Reason: SMS language to be avoided- check PM
Old 4th February 2012, 17:48   #712
BHPian

Quote:

Do you need to re register ? My Rx100 has KL regn with Kar taxes paid. I have not done the change of nos to KAR. I assume its fine to use with KL regn. Correct me if im wrong pls.

Only issue is that you can get stopped too often cos of the number.
Old 4th February 2012, 18:15   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Do you need to re register ? My Rx100 has KL regn with Kar taxes paid. I have not done the change of nos to KAR. I assume its fine to use with KL regn. Correct me if im wrong pls.

My cousin brother uses his KL7 Esteem in Bangalore since 2003 without re-registering. His wife uses this car to shuttle between school and home regularly in front of cops (around Bannerghatta road)
Old 4th February 2012, 18:25   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

Yes, I think we need to have KA registration if we are going to stay more than a year. But I am not sure whether the cops slap fines for registration issues even though the road tax is paid.

Below information is extracted from FAQs Transport Department

9. When should I obtain Karnataka Registration Mark?

A Vehicle is not permitted to ply with other state registration mark beyond 11 months from the date of migration . So you should apply and obtain the Karnataka Registration mark before that period.

2. What is the procedure for re-registration?

The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
No need sir,You state that you have paid tax for KA and vehicle is regd in AP.Its used 3 months in each state and future you plan to settle in AP.

Im having one scoprio running in blr paying KA tax & reg in TN .No issues , its legaly ok. No rto will harass u, only small time cop will demand.Where u can put uer foot down.

ones you pay KA tax, u can just ignore them and slowly they will ignore u.
Actually its my wife's activa and hence I am concerned about it.
Old 4th February 2012, 19:07   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Arun, where is the E-city RTO located? Is it on Hosa road (jail road)? And what documents did you submit for address proof?
Thanks,
bejoy
Old 4th February 2012, 19:10   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Arun, where is the E-city RTO located? Is it on Hosa road (jail road)? And what documents did you submit for address proof?
Thanks,
bejoy
Yes, its on the Jail road. To pay road tax only, address proof is not required. They only asked for invoice and AP registration card.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 12:57   #717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
My cousin brother uses his KL7 Esteem in Bangalore since 2003 without re-registering. His wife uses this car to shuttle between school and home regularly in front of cops (around Bannerghatta road)
They can't get much money out of it even if he pays the tax
Old 5th February 2012, 16:35   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
They can't get much money out of it even if he pays the tax
True.
They paid Karnataka tax in 2004 itself but didn't change the registration till now.
Old 6th February 2012, 07:53   #719
BHPian

When I bought my KA Regd Swift in 2010 in Bangalore, lots of Kerala friends booed me saying Iam a fool. At that point I tried to explain that since Iam settled in Blore it makes no sense to buy a KL car. Also I very well knew that in due course if at all these kinds of RTO checking comes up, I will end up paying 50000 extra!!!

Before complaining, please understand one thing. Blore RTO is not specifically against anyone or any state. But when people take things for granted and PURPOSELY buy car from KL DESPITE being settled in Blore, that is when it is not fair. I have atleast 10 friends who are pretty much settled in Bangalore but still bought car from KL despite my warning. So now god save them!

Checking started only when Karnatake Govt realised the purposeful 'mass' registration in KL and use in Blr. BE FAIR, PLAY FAIR!
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 08:30   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
When I bought my KA Regd Swift in 2010 in Bangalore, lots of Kerala friends booed me saying Iam a fool. At that point I tried to explain that since Iam settled in Blore it makes no sense to buy a KL car. Also I very well knew that in due course if at all these kinds of RTO checking comes up, I will end up paying 50000 extra!!!

Before complaining, please understand one thing. Blore RTO is not specifically against anyone or any state. But when people take things for granted and PURPOSELY buy car from KL DESPITE being settled in Blore, that is when it is not fair. I have atleast 10 friends who are pretty much settled in Bangalore but still bought car from KL despite my warning. So now god save them!

Checking started only when Karnatake Govt realised the purposeful 'mass' registration in KL and use in Blr. BE FAIR, PLAY FAIR!
well to me it makes no sense. as the previous posts say, all you need is to prove you are not in KA for more than 11 months. Somebody who is driving a KL or TN or PY registered car can very well send his/her car to those states once every 6 months to get PUC and refuelling! And thats it! You have a proof that car is just visiting in KA (might as well get an address proof document also in those states, how hard would that be?) No need to pay the stupid high taxes here.

If only govt here realises this, rationalises the taxes (bring it to same levels as others) and offset the difference by increasing fuel costs! It will be a win-win for them! People will then go for KA reg (so no revenue loss there) and increased fuel costs would mean even more revenues and more money in neta's fat swiss bank accounts. already fuel prices here are highest in the country and still people dont crib (some people in the posts above even say if its a tax you otta pay up! thats their defence against this sort of illegal double taxation drives KA govt is undergoing). there is no sense of country anymore. everywhere just my region/language/state/religion whatever
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks