Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:44   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This is what I mentioned, IDV value is governed by standard depreciation rates fixed by GOI which are uniform through out the country, of course you can influence the IDV by paying more premium.
But what is the basis for RTO's calculation, what is the guidance value, this is where they mint money.
The RTO calcluates the lifetime tax according the invoice value of the new car at the point of sale. Not on the IDV value of the car.
For out of state cars or for re-registration, the tax is calucated based on certain parameters like age of the car and it's associated value which is prescribed in the motor vehicles act of Karnataka.

Please refer the following document which is available in the RTO website for calculating the road tax. This was amended in 2010 and the new taxation policy is given below.
Attached Thumbnails
Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-1.jpg  

Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-2.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: doc Taxation Amendment UP TO 2008.doc (267.5 KB, 1438 views)

Last edited by speedmiester : 2nd August 2012 at 17:46.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:06   #782
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

I am also aware of this taxation policy but this method of taxation for out of state cars is itself a questionable one, this is what we are trying to highlight that it is not in the interest of common man.
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:17   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I am also aware of this taxation policy but this method of taxation for out of state cars is itself a questionable one, this is what we are trying to highlight that it is not in the interest of common man.
Do you really think the government does anything in the interest of the common man?
But sadly this is the state of affairs in our state.

Recently one of my colleagues got his KL registered santro registered in Karnataka. He had to shell out close to 35000/- for his car.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:29   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Do you really think the government does anything in the interest of the common man?
But sadly this is the state of affairs in our state.

Recently one of my colleagues got his KL registered santro registered in Karnataka. He had to shell out close to 35000/- for his car.
i am still confused, about re-registration in karnataka, i have a linea which i got on road for 9.8 lacs on road in Delhi, its 2 year old, how would RTO calculate it in Karnataka if i transfer my car? could you help?
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:46   #785
Senior - BHPian

Mindgrinder,
It will be for example,
Consider ex-showroom price is 8 lakhs,
For a new car tax rate of 14% will apply, which will be Rs.112000,
Your car is more than 2 years old, so as per the table given here the percentage of life time tax levied will be 87% of Rs.112000.
This will be equal to Rs.97440,
An additional cess of 1.4% will be levied on this amount,

So total cost of registering your old vehicle in Karnataka should be about Rs.99000/-

Last edited by deehunk : 2nd August 2012 at 21:48.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:11   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The RTO calcluates the lifetime tax according the invoice value of the new car at the point of sale. Not on the IDV value of the car.
For out of state cars or for re-registration, the tax is calucated based on certain parameters like age of the car and it's associated value which is prescribed in the motor vehicles act of Karnataka.

Please refer the following document which is available in the RTO website for calculating the road tax. This was amended in 2010 and the new taxation policy is given below.
Thanks for posting this.
Makes me laugh at the government for such a thoughtless classification of vehicle depreciated values and tax thereof.
Imagine this hypothetical example:

15 years back, a Maruti esteem may have cost Rs.4 lakhs? Today if I move the car to Bangalore, i would have to valuate the car at 100000 and pay a duty of Rs.15000/- roughly. How ridiculous is that? And this when the 15 year life of the car is over. Even the RC is expired and the car's registration would have to be renewed every three years.
But the Karnataka government wants me to pay Rs.15000/- for unusable roads.

Last edited by hrman : 2nd August 2012 at 22:15.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:30   #787
BHPian

I have recently moved to Bangalore,been going through this thread and want to know whether there is any option other than life time road tax,like paying for a year or so.Since I wont be staying for more than one or two,if we want to be trouble free from cops.My car is only 5 months old.
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:49   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullwingGT View Post
I have recently moved to Bangalore,been going through this thread and want to know whether there is any option other than life time road tax,like paying for a year or so.Since I wont be staying for more than one or two,if we want to be trouble free from cops.My car is only 5 months old.
If you are a central govt employee or a defense personnel, you can opt to pay an yearly road tax.
On the other hand, if you are employed elsewhere, get a letter from you HR stating that you are here only for an 10 months or so. Pay an yearly road tax and also keep latest toll receipts, PUC from your home state.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:25   #789
BHPian

Quote:
If you are a central govt employee or a defense personnel, you can opt to pay an yearly road tax.
On the other hand, if you are employed elsewhere, get a letter from you HR stating that you are here only for an 10 months or so. Pay an yearly road tax and also keep latest toll receipts, PUC from your home state.
There was a recent ruling that the central govt employees also need to pay the LTT. It was discussed in this thread a few months back. Not sure if it is rolled back.
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:35   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that Info.I am not a central govt employee,so will have to check with my HR about the letter.Hope this works out.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:05   #791
BHPian

Anyone has an idea of the time it takes RTO to send new registration details after application has been submitted?

I had filed for a KA-53 number (KR Puram) 6 weeks back and I still haven't got a new number.

The LTT was paid last year, and it took them only 2 weeks, at that time, to send registration (smart card) with updated address.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:21   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullwingGT View Post
There is no need to pay road tax if you are staying in KA for 10 months.
You will have to pay once you cross a year's time. I own a KA registered car and stayed in Mumbai for 13 months. Couple of times traffic cops stopped me and asked me to pay MH tax to which i replied them that as per central motor vehicles act (i dont know clause etc), there is a need to pay tax only if you stay for more than a year. They did not question further and asked me to go

Better get a letter from office. It serves as a proof of your entry in to Karnataka.

Also got to know that road tax has been increased for all vehicles by 0.5% starting from 1-Aug-2012. I think KA govt will charge us 50% in another five years

Last edited by djay99 : 6th August 2012 at 22:24.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 22:27   #793
Senior - BHPian

Does any one have latest 2012 taxation structure? I searched on rto.kar.nic.in and it shows tax as of year 2008.
Old 1st October 2012, 13:01   #794
BHPian

I had been to Bangalore last week ( with my KL regd car)and was stopped by RTO officials in electronics city. The officer was a gentleman and verified my vehicle documents and asked for Karnataka Tax. I replied to him that I am here on a official visit and will be leaving to Kerala next day. He updated my insurance document with a comment as checked on 27/09 and said i can leave.

I travel once in a month for a day or two to Bangalore and asked him whether I need to pay the tax. He said if it is for a day or two it is not required.

While my documents was being checked there were few out of state vehicles which was being checked and was asked to pay the tax next day.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 17:38   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I had been to Bangalore last week ( with my KL regd car)and was stopped by RTO officials in electronics city. The officer was a gentleman and verified my vehicle documents and asked for Karnataka Tax. I replied to him that I am here on a official visit and will be leaving to Kerala next day. He updated my insurance document with a comment as checked on 27/09 and said i can leave.

I travel once in a month for a day or two to Bangalore and asked him whether I need to pay the tax. He said if it is for a day or two it is not required.

While my documents was being checked there were few out of state vehicles which was being checked and was asked to pay the tax next day.
Indeed the officer was a gentleman. However I personally know people who are driving non KA registered vehicles for a long time and have always evaded paying tax. Even if they are caught they manage to wriggle out of the situation "you know how"! I guess it is a simple decision taken by conscience, if one is staying for an extended period and as defined by the RTO if one has to pay tax then so be it. We just cannot change the system overnight unfortunately.
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks