Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 11:44   #946
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine took delivery of a Linea 1.4 Petrol Emotion last Sunday. Yesterday he had to go out for some work. The car refused to start. Even this morning it was not starting. Hes actually clueless as to whats happening. The service guy should be visiting him today to find out what the problem is. A brand new week old Linea refusing to start?
Old 12th October 2009, 11:45   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I would like to understand how a car with significantly lesser horses be faster, if you take driver deficiencies out of the equation.
Technically it could be if it weighs less. And I am not talking about Linea.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:51   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Technically it could be if it weighs less. And I am not talking about Linea.
True. I should have explicitly stated the assumption that weight is same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
A friend of mine took delivery of a Linea 1.4 Petrol Emotion last Sunday. Yesterday he had to go out for some work. The car refused to start. Even this morning it was not starting. Hes actually clueless as to whats happening. The service guy should be visiting him today to find out what the problem is. A brand new week old Linea refusing to start?
He must be heartbroken. Is he a new driver? Imagine putting 7 to 8 lakhs into a car that refuses to start within a week!! Hmmm... i remember Safari used to do that when it was just launched.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:57   #949
Team-BHP Support

Fiat is fighting back with ad campaign, quarter page add on TOI about 15,000 kms service interval. Againt 5k and 10k service of others
Old 12th October 2009, 11:59   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He must be heartbroken. Is he a new driver? Imagine putting 7 to 8 lakhs into a car that refuses to start within a week!! Hmmm... i remember Safari used to do that when it was just launched.
its funny - i had the same trouble with my Palio after two weeks of my purchase in 2002. One day i come back from office get into the car and put the keys and... nothing. Called up Sundaram 24x7 and they reached in an hour and diagnosed the problem to a loose fusebox (or something like that - i forgot the details now).

Thankfully it never occurred again in last seven years - touchwood. So hopefully your friend can have some solace.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 12th October 2009 at 12:00.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:00   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I don't have experience on petrol linea. I agree with your opinion on street experience. But, on my frequent highway drives, I do encounter with enough determined car drivers of different cars on good roads dotted with a few trucks and buses and signals once in a while. Let me be clear here Linea is neither slow on the road nor do people use even the power of Linea fully. Yes, I would have loved a little more power for what the car is capable of. This desire of mine has nothing to do with how much power other cars on my way have.
opendro one thing what i have seen/noticed/faced is that other than owners of linea the people who dont own it (at team-bhp as well as in outside world) speak more about the Linea (diesel) being under powered and Fiat/Tata A.S.S being bad. I have owned Linea diesel from 2nd February 2009 and i have never felt Linea sluggish at all. I dont say it is one of the fastest we have in the competition but its not sluggish either.
And about the A.S.S its much better than Hyundai. And yes i have used 2 hyundai cars for 5 years each.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:01   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not a new driver. He swapped his Swift for this. They also own a Verna diesel. They wanted to have a saloon as a second car as well since they have lots of visitors. The City was considered but that will replace the Verna early next year. Thats why he went in for the Linea as he got a good exhange price for the Swift as well.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:09   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.. i wish i could edit my post, coz i kinda goofed up a little. I was under the impression that Linea diesel has an engine bigger than 1.3. Obviously i was wrong. I would like to understand how a car with significantly lesser horses be faster, if you take driver deficiencies out of the equation.

You see, i currently drive a ten year old OHC, which is spec'ced at 100BHP stock. If i went in for a car that has lesser horses under the hood and lesser peace of mind as well w.r.t. after sales support, it would not be an upgrade.
Off topic. But quickly, I said, Linea MJD wouldn't just move beyond 170. That means it is not faster. Most other cars would move quite beyond that. But to be quicker means the area under the power graph, not the max power. Larger the area, the quicker.

Okay, let me also revise my statement. My cycle in school days was complete peace of mind and it would get me to anywhere within 50Km, in any road condition. I wouldn't consider any other mode of transport as upgrade. Period.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:18   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Okay, let me also revise my statement. My cycle in school days was complete peace of mind and it would get me to anywhere within 50Km, in any road condition. I wouldn't consider any other mode of transport as upgrade. Period.
right and it was probably quicker too
just like your linea.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:54   #955
Team-BHP Support

After a long thought over last couple of days, i decided to vote. Limiting the choice to the available option, if i am going to spend my hard earned money, i would choose the Fiat, why?

- The solid build, especially for our Indian conditions
- Ride
- Overall car feel

I have never cared too much about grainy plastic look, nor overly impressed with the reliability factor of any brand. Yes i feel that i would be compromising alot on engine vengine stuff, but at the end of the day 2 lakhs means a hell lot to me. Atleast in this decade.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:13   #956
Senior - BHPian

This may be a bit OT, but my respect and admiration for the Linea went up several notches after my recent trip to Goa.

While returning via Bijapur and after getting into the NH 9 at Homnabad, we saw a white Linea trailing us at high speeds (ain't sure if it was a petrol or diesel). We tried to drive the Embera at 140 kmph to shake him off, but the guy was on our tail all along, till we turned off the road towards Bidar.

If it were 'underpowered' as most people make out of it, it would not have kept pace with a 160 bhp petrol Embera. I am saying this becuase we had to brake several times owing to traffic, and the Linea kept pace with us even when we were flooring the gas pedal after crossing each hurdle on the road.

Last edited by vnabhi : 12th October 2009 at 13:15.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:37   #957
Senior - BHPian

Its only the non-owners who are crying about the Linea being sluggish/FIAT A.S.S is still questionable!

My experience with Linea was good as well and the in-gear acceleration is good and offers good driveability.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1511724
Old 12th October 2009, 13:44   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Its only the non-owners who are crying about the Linea being sluggish/FIAT A.S.S is still questionable!
No matter what car they own, owners will rarely admit to their car being underpowered either.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:46   #959
BHPian

This reminds me of that good ole RIN ad: Bhala Usski Kameez Meri Kameez Se Safed Kaise? (How is his shirt whiter than mine?). No owner, whatever brand, whatever product, will call his investment inferior.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:52   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No matter what car they own, owners will rarely admit to their car being underpowered either.
My friend, take a look at the Linea owner's review threads (especially VahanPujari).

The threads have been quite open and the kind of detail they have shared have been really helpful for many. If they can agree all the niggling issues they have come across, I am sure they would have written about a "Linea is sluggish" too. I see that most owners are quite happy with the way it is.

I myself not an owner of Linea, but have a 3 day experience with it. I would say it is not "Sluggish/under-powered"! And the vehicle I have driven is touch wood. Absolutely no niggling issues. Fiat has addressed all the owner's feedback in the newly manufactured lot!

Last edited by anachronix : 12th October 2009 at 13:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks