Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 21:43   #4486
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Option A - Refinance at a lower rate from a CU. In this case I think I might have to some extra money to close from my current provider, right?

Option B - Pay it off much earlier than the loan period(5 years) by paying large amounts say every quarter or may be like half this year & half next year.
It takes a few months for your credit score to improve. I'd say to hold on to the current loan for about 6m-1yr and then look for the CU. I think DCU offers the best rate so far on used cars. I would go for this option.

In option B, though you pay off earlier than the loan period, the interest is calculated for the period you have taken the loan for. The % interest amount is collected during the initial pay-offs.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 22:15   #4487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys i have loan question, I usually try to avoid loan & one of the main reason behind getting one for the MDX was improving the credit score.

Now, as it was my first loan & also a 2nd hand car my interest rate is high (3.99%), as I see I have following options

Option A - Refinance at a lower rate from a CU. In this case I think I might have to some extra money to close from my current provider, right?

Option B - Pay it off much earlier than the loan period(5 years) by paying large amounts say every quarter or may be like half this year & half next year.
Tech, I'll agree with kraft.wagen & say hold on to the loan for a while.
After a year, if you wish, refinance to see if you get a better deal.

Pay additional principal each month, or pay a larger amount every couple of months. This will bring down interest.
e.g. Say, if your monthly payment is $200, then either pay $50 or $100 more (whatever you can) every month to the principal, or every few months pay $400 additionally.

Does your loan have prepayment penalty?
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 01:12   #4488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
It takes a few months for your credit score to improve. I'd say to hold on to the current loan for about 6m-1yr and then look for the CU.
In option B, though you pay off earlier than the loan period, the interest is calculated for the period you have taken the loan for. The % interest amount is collected during the initial pay-offs.
Thanks, that's what I thought i.e. it would take some time for my credit score to improve.

And yes its the chicken and egg situation, if I pay now i dont get benefits of loan & if I pay off later then I would have already paid sizable interest & wont save much by paying early :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Tech, I'll agree with kraft.wagen & say hold on to the loan for a while.
After a year, if you wish, refinance to see if you get a better deal.

Pay additional principal each month, or pay a larger amount every couple of months. This will bring down interest.
e.g. Say, if your monthly payment is $200, then either pay $50 or $100 more (whatever you can) every month to the principal, or every few months pay $400 additionally.

Does your loan have prepayment penalty?
Sounds good, I just checked, no penalty I can make payments directly against Principal. So doing this wont affect my credit scoring, right?

So looks like I should hold on till atleast first year & in the meanwhile keep regular payments against principal so that I pay less interest overall.

Thanks guys
Old 25th February 2015, 02:25   #4489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post

Thank you for that update on warranty. And yes, I meant GM warranty. Sorry I typed Chevy.

I am a little biased towards the Germans though.
GM and German - I'm reintroducing a suggestion - try the Buick Regal - it is an Opel under the skin, and hence German. You might like it quite a bit. Had one on rent recently. Nice car.

Quote:

A Lexus IS or GS is what you're looking for - yes, it'll handle a little better than your friend's Buick.
For the lowest cost of ownership, without doubt, are the Lexus IS and GS in their segments.

Quote:
Sounds good, I just checked, no penalty I can make payments directly against Principal. So doing this wont affect my credit scoring, right?

So looks like I should hold on till atleast first year & in the meanwhile keep regular payments against principal so that I pay less interest overall.

Thanks guys
I think it won't impact your score - as long as you are paying your regular payments, the score remains intact or better.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 02:57   #4490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks guys
My 2 cents. Hold on for a while with the current loan. Try get a quote from DCU for you. They are pretty helpful and has a nick name for being a desi credit union amongst alot of people.
I would do this. Save up your cash for a year. Get a quote from DCU, use that cash to go against the principal and finance the rest.

I have my loan at 2.4% for 5 years and my previous was 10% for 6

They did offer me 1.99% but i had to move my salary account to their bank.

Maddy

PS: its called digital federal credit union based out of Mass.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 03:48   #4491
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vineeth & Maddy.

My understanding is that Credit unions are applicable only to local residents in which case all these options wont apply to me if these CU's dont exist in my city or state.

Is my understanding correct?
Old 25th February 2015, 04:20   #4492
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vineeth & Maddy.

My understanding is that Credit unions are applicable only to local residents in which case all these options wont apply to me if these CU's dont exist in my city or state.

No you can open a CU account from anywhere. I live in LA and have my auto loan with DCU

I think they tell you to donate $5-$10 to some military charity to get your account signed up.

Plus if you do a direct deposit they give 0.5% lower rate.
kraft.wagen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 05:58   #4493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vineeth & Maddy.

No. Not at all. They will take business from anywhere!

Quote:
No you can open a CU account from anywhere. I live in LA and have my auto loan with DCU .
And I have my accounts with Patelco CU - they are based in California. All my paperwork was handled electronically.
Old 25th February 2015, 17:56   #4494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
GM and German - I'm reintroducing a suggestion - try the Buick Regal - it is an Opel under the skin, and hence German. You might like it quite a bit. Had one on rent recently. Nice car.
Although I would goto CR only for crowd sourced reliability numbers, they have actually picked the Regal as the Top Pick in Sports Sedan category - This includes a mix of features, reliability, driving feel etc. You should try it out. Buick is actually no longer the grandma's car (the image they are trying to shed).
Old 25th February 2015, 19:31   #4495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No you can open a CU account from anywhere. I live in LA and have my auto loan with DCU
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
No. Not at all. They will take business from anywhere!
Thanks a lot guys, I wasnt aware of this

So will wait for a few more months(close to a year in the loan) & then refinance with one of these CUs. In the meantime will probably try to lower the outstanding principal amount
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 19:55   #4496
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, I wasnt aware of this

So will wait for a few more months(close to a year in the loan) & then refinance with one of these CUs. In the meantime will probably try to lower the outstanding principal amount
Tech, to improve your credit rating just continue paying your credit card(s) & loans on time & always try to pay-off balance or as much as you can over minimum amount due.

Credit rating can be easily downgraded by over-spending (going over limit on credit cards, etc.), missing multiple payments, but it takes a longer time to improve the rating.

As far as CU's, most of them do require you to be part of a certain trade but some of them (e.g. DCU) will let anyone join as long as you pay the required joining fee & a small contribution to a charity.

Patelco is not a Credit Union of/for/by a Patel - I checked.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 20:07   #4497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tech, to improve your credit rating just continue paying your credit card(s) & loans on time & always try to pay-off balance or as much as you can over minimum amount due.

Credit rating can be easily downgraded by over-spending (going over limit on credit cards, etc.), missing multiple payments, but it takes a longer time to improve the rating.

As far as CU's, most of them do require you to be part of a certain trade but some of them (e.g. DCU) will let anyone join as long as you pay the required joining fee & a small contribution to a charity.

Good one! Patel wants every ones business!

Regarding credit ratings, on time payments are most important, followed by revolving credit utilization, average age of open accounts and number and type of accounts. Ratings are calculated differently based on type of credit you are trying to avail. A person with excellent credit for a credit card may only be very good for a mortgage. Just make regular payments, don't close any old accounts if you can.
Old 25th February 2015, 20:21   #4498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that tip on partial payments against principal, will start doing that. I never miss my payments, so I am good there.
Quote:
I am good there too, my Credit usage/utilization is in single digits
Quote:
Now I know
Quote:
Damn, I was almost expecting that it would be either of/for/by a Patel
Old 25th February 2015, 20:55   #4499
BHPian

Quote:
I live in LA and have my auto loan with DCU

Did you get a new ride?

Techno - Mine was with DCU for both car and bike . Started the car with 8.49%, refinanced with in DCU 1.49% after 3 months. I paid off the car loan in about 8 months and bike (1.49%) in about 2 months. Credit scores were not impacted and at the end of the Year 1, I was in the excellent category

Last edited by ToroRosso : 25th February 2015 at 20:57. Reason: typo
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 00:33   #4500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Did you get a new ride?

Techno - Mine was with DCU for both car and bike . Started the car with 8.49%, refinanced with in DCU 1.49% after 3 months. I paid off the car loan in about 8 months and bike (1.49%) in about 2 months. Credit scores were not impacted and at the end of the Year 1, I was in the excellent category
I meant the motorcycle loan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks