Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 13:41   #106
Senior - BHPian

2000-2500RPM constant for 20 minutes is what elite engine builders in the US and Japan do after re/building an engine. Regular run-in follows. They do keep some secrets close to their chest though.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 20th June 2009 at 13:45.
Old 22nd June 2009, 21:41   #107
Team-BHP Support

Finally delivered!

After the month long wait, car has been delivered! Tab is Rs 1,72,000/- only. We had requested for old parts and except for the engine bearings, everything has been returned.

Since the engine/gearbox was downed, they have changed the clutch assembly (without informing us), though a wise decision, since the unit that was returned was at its last few breaths.

The engine assembling has been done well, sounds and feels like a new one. Heard from the engineer that though the parts arrived early, they waited for Honda technician to come and set the engine up. Dont know why they withheld this info?? If its the truth.

The Manager confirmed that they will be extending guarantee for replaced parts and associated issues for 6 months, a check up at 1000 kms where we plan to do an oil change also. Have been advised to keep the speed within 80 kmph??!! dont understand why they cant say keep the RPM's within certain limits.

Have instructed the driver to be careful with running in while ensuring its not a sissying around stuff. Warm the engine and run at decent RPM but not overloading or underloading it. Keep a close watch on engine temperature and any symptoms of seizing, oil leaks etc.

The bonnet hook has come out and steering felt lil vague, anyways will let things loosen up over couple of days and then fix all minor niggles after 1000 kms.

62,000 kms with almost new engine, tires, clutch, brakes and battery. Next will be suspension. So for now keep her for a year or two to recover the cost incurred.

Offshoot update: After 3 weeks using my Swift D brother has become a fan of diesel cars, he is looking at one (hatch) for regular drives and keep Crv for weekends and long trips. Yup Swift was in his mind, especially after hearing Jazz's juicy price tag and the Honda experience with Crv Anyways will take couple of more months so we will wait and see other options also, but definitely a diesel option.

Thats all folks!
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:50   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
After the month long wait, car has been delivered! Tab is Rs 1,72,000/- only. We had requested for old parts and except for the engine bearings, everything has been returned.
How much of this is covered by insurance?
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:23   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Offshoot update: After 3 weeks using my Swift D brother has become a fan of diesel cars, he is looking at one (hatch) for regular drives and keep Crv for weekends and long trips. Yup Swift was in his mind, especially after hearing Jazz's juicy price tag and the Honda experience with Crv Anyways will take couple of more months so we will wait and see other options also, but definitely a diesel option.
Where exactly did the experience with Honda go wrong?
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:23   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
How much of this is covered by insurance?
I have mentioned earlier we had NOT gone for insurance claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Where exactly did the experience with Honda go wrong?
Right from the beginning when we approached the service center, the word "Fuzzy" comes to mind when it came to diagnosing and i had to do some escalations to get the attention from Honda and things improved a bit. After this also i was at my wits end communicating with the SA. Am sure for a normal customer it will be pain and will be paying a HUGE tab if questions are not asked.

Reg the car it aint a tough car, the tight feel disappeared by around 40k. Mind you the car was pampered through out its life, including on the dot services at 5k kms. I wont even call it soft roader! its more of a regular car when it comes to toughness. Build quality is average when it comes to plastic clips which cause racket. Reliability is the only light at the end of the tunnel, that also is questioned with multiple Crv suffering water damage where other cars just cross over easily??!! I also have my doubts with the design.

Maintenance cost for the CBU is on the higher side. Parts are obnoxiously costly and certain stuff like ORVM (4 sets at costing 7k each IIRC) are plain flimsy for indian conditions and fail with slightest abuse. Clutch the dealer claims last for 25-30 k kms and says we are extremely lucky and careful users to get so much. Yes the plates were almost flat on the surface when i saw it yesterday.

There were other parts like fuel guage, petrol tank etc which were replaced during this period luckily under warranty. The previous cars which were subjected more abuse lasted longer and better compared to this one.

In short the car is average, apart from its very good ride quality on slightly broken surface/tramac, there is nothing much to talk about for a 18 lakhs worth machine. Yes it feels and is easy to drive like a sedan, thats it.

Dealer well, rumor says that all the good technicians have left whitefield and joined the hosur road dealer. So as soon as the 6 months guarantee period is out, we are moving to the new workshop. Initial period was honeymoon since the Marketing Manger was my classmate, since he moved out it was downhill experience. Imagine someone who doesnt have any contacts will have to go through at this dealer??

Maybe our expectations were wrong, but misguided since Honda is considered "Premium class" in our indian market.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

IMO, 1.7 lacs is not bad considering the cost of the car.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:29   #112
Senior - BHPian

thank god they increased the prices by around 3.5 lakhs. so that fewer people can buy this poorly built machine
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
thank god they increased the prices by around 3.5 lakhs. so that fewer people can buy this poorly built machine
What they are selling now is a completely redesigned, new version of CRV, and now it must be costing 8-9 lakhs more then the previous version.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:02   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
IMO, 1.7 lacs is not bad considering the cost of the car.
We are ok with the cost, imagine if more water had gone in?!! This was after a minor flooding, minor coz there was no other apparent signs of water damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
yup unless you are ga ga over Honda and if not for the gal friendly drive, I would recommend a Captiva or Endavour. We skipped endavour since the engine offerred then was a slog.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd June 2009 at 14:06.
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:25   #115
Senior - BHPian

A friend's AHNC got a dent on its door after another friend banged on it with his hand. He took it to the dealer and they quoted 18k for repairs!! And not a scratch on the door. Guess who is not buying a Honda anymore!

Honda has gone way down in my opinion and to think I was mesmerized by then earlier.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:40   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
A friend's AHNC got a dent on its door after another friend banged on it with his hand. He took it to the dealer and they quoted 18k for repairs!! And not a scratch on the door. .
Interesting incident! Was it accidental or done to check how strong the panels are? It will be intersting to get more details like which part of the door etc, especially some pics.
Dealer must be thinking about replacing the entrire door+painting. Normally they wont go for a 'dry' dent removal.

Last edited by Guna : 23rd June 2009 at 22:47.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:54   #117
BHPian

Jaggu Bhai, good to hear that the CRV is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Dealer must be thinking about replacing the entrire door+painting. Normally they wont go for a 'dry' dent removal.
What is Dry Dent removal?
Old 24th June 2009, 13:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
What is Dry Dent removal?
After tinckering the damaged metal back to shape, normally they go for a fresh cot of painting. In dry dent removal, they tap the sheet back to the original shape without damaging the paint surface, so that there is no need for repainting. This is a highly skilled and time consuming process and the company workshop guys will not be willing to do it.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Guna is right.

Checked out the car a couple of days earlier. I asked my friend to remove the door panel and bang the metal back into place. This has worked for me many times. At best, he will be left with a tiny dent on the crease line near the door.

Sorry, Jaggu, for going off-track.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:28   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

The vehicle is repaired and back with you but I saw this thread today only. I know you have surmised that it was water entering from exhaust that did the damage (and from bent con rod etc. it seems damage due to hydrostatic pressure/water lock).

Question is how did water enter from exhaust? Only way this is possible is when you try restarting a stalled vehicle in enough water to submerge the tail pipe. For water to travel all the way back in to a cylinder (think length or exhaust, think exhaust baffles, etc..) it must be due to vacuum and that is only if unfired engine is cranked. IMHO a fired engine will not let the water in.

That is why it is advised not to change ears in water but to change before and go through at steady speed. Is the drivers version from site of incidence correct?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks